PDA

View Full Version : I will give a $50 gift certificate to anyone

Sirus
12/31/2009, 06:11 PM
that can give me One legit reason to not take a knee on the last 2 plays.

Seriouly, do we need any more unnecessary injuries?

AlbqSooner
12/31/2009, 06:16 PM
The time remaining required burning a few seconds each play in order not to give Stanford the ball back.

tooslow
12/31/2009, 06:16 PM
I can tell you why on the first one. There was 1:29 left on the clock when the ball was snapped. After the scramble there was 1:18 on the clock when the play clock reset. Absolutely no damn reason whatsoever to NOT take a knee on the final snap. KW is an idiot.

Leroy Lizard
12/31/2009, 06:17 PM
I think we should have taken a knee on the last play, but I guess they calculated it out and felt that taking three extra seconds per play wouldn't give Stanford any shot at all.

tooslow
12/31/2009, 06:18 PM
The time remaining required burning a few seconds each play in order not to give Stanford the ball back.

Only on the first one. The second snap where Landry was smacked, was at the :39 mark. Again, no reason whatsoever....

Sirus
12/31/2009, 06:18 PM

BUZZ! try again. There was not enough time left on the final 2 plays to warrant a roll out. Ever heard of a player called a running back?

Sooner98
12/31/2009, 06:19 PM
The third down play was taken with right about 40 seconds left. All that was needed was taking a knee. Instead, Jones runs around with it, takes a hard shot, and risks a fumble that would have been laughed about all over the country for years (maybe decades).

Eielson
12/31/2009, 06:19 PM
That game was only over by 5 seconds. It wasted more time.

Sirus
12/31/2009, 06:22 PM
I can almost see this type of play calling if the Stanford had any timeouts remaining, but they didn't. My point is that even though the boys fought hard and came out with a close win, Our coaches still chose to play with fire and it got the QB hurt. Once again, unnecessary.

Eielson
12/31/2009, 06:22 PM
BUZZ! try again. There was not enough time left on the final 2 plays to warrant a roll out. Ever heard of a player called a running back?

You said one good reason not to kneel it. Did you want the runningback to kneel it? Anyway that leaves even more chance for injury.

Sirus
12/31/2009, 06:25 PM
You said one good reason not to kneel it. Did you want the runningback to kneel it? Anyway that leaves even more chance for injury.

I wasn't agreeing that the running back should run it. I was merely suggesting if you make the call to run it at all, you don't do it with a non-running QB. You fail.

Eielson
12/31/2009, 06:28 PM
I wasn't agreeing that the running back should run it. I was merely suggesting if you make the call to run it at all, you don't do it with a non-running QB. You fail.

Whatever. Just keep changing your argument. You owe some gift certificates.

lexsooner
12/31/2009, 06:31 PM
I can almost see this type of play calling if the Stanford had any timeouts remaining, but they didn't. My point is that even though the boys fought hard and came out with a close win, Our coaches still chose to play with fire and it got the QB hurt. Once again, unnecessary.

But on the plus side, it has endeared Jones to some OU fans, who like the fact he took a hard hit for the team. He seemed to be walking ok afterward, maybe a relieved expression more than anything. I do think if Jones had kneeled each play, Stanford would have had time left on the clock.

Blues1
12/31/2009, 06:34 PM
Yes Jones Won my Heart Today....~~~!
Hell Yes....

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2009, 06:35 PM

Ever hear of a botched exchange between QB and RB leading to a fumble? Fewer therbligs lead to fewer mistakes.

Sirus
12/31/2009, 06:35 PM
But on the plus side, it has endeared Jones to some OU fans, who like the fact he took a hard hit for the team. He seemed to be walking ok afterward, maybe a relieved expression more than anything. I do think if Jones had kneeled each play, Stanford would have had time left on the clock.

To do what? Receive a sky pooch that reaches the returner just in time for 3 defenders to pile drive him with no more time left?

Sirus
12/31/2009, 06:36 PM
Ever hear of a botched exchange between QB and RB leading to a fumble? Fewer therbligs lead to fewer mistakes.

Ever hear of a QB getting pummeled while trying to scramble and getting the same result?

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2009, 06:43 PM
Ever hear of a QB getting pummeled while trying to scramble and getting the same result?

Ever heard of "Slide down and don't take the hit?"

Ever heard of "We just won the ball game, stop crying for a minute and enjoy it?"

Relax. Landry's OK. Overall, the percentages are better for no fumble on a QB rollout/designed "sack" than it is on an inside handoff. Haven't reviewed what the time left was on the second snap. If it was under 1:30, then yeah, he should have just knelt it out. It ended up working, so no big deal.

lloyd45
12/31/2009, 06:43 PM

this

a fumble was far more likely to occur getting hit from the blind side while scrambling than a handoff to a running back

sooner59
12/31/2009, 06:45 PM
In high school, we lost in the playoffs to Wes Welker and his bunch because of a botched handoff in the backfield while we were just running out the clock. So it can happen. I think Landry had time to step back and take the knee though without giving them the ball back.

Eielson
12/31/2009, 06:46 PM
In high school, we lost in the playoffs to Wes Welker and his bunch because of a botched handoff in the backfield while we were just running out the clock. So it can happen. I think Landry had time to step back and take the knee though without giving them the ball back.

Don't speak logic to this clown.

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2009, 06:49 PM

Don't you know that it's way more likely for a guy who's supposed to just go down as soon as anyone gets within five yards of him to spontaneously fumble?

lloyd45
12/31/2009, 06:51 PM
in theory you're correct, but did you not see the game. jones didn't see the dude from his blindside and got whacked and could have easily fumbled there. wouldn't have been spontaneious at all.

Eielson
12/31/2009, 06:53 PM
in theory you're correct, but did you not see the game. jones didn't see the dude from his blindside and got whacked and could have easily fumbled there. wouldn't have been spontaneious at all.

Even if the ball came out, he was already down.

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2009, 06:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that Wilson didn't really draw the play up with the expectation that there's be blindside pressure on Jones.

Then again, considering our line play this year perhaps he should have.

The responsibility for getting hit is on Jones, though, or at least the man who missed the block who should have been yelling "GET DOWN GET DOWN!!!"

Moot, though. He didn't fumble, we won the game. All good.

lloyd45
12/31/2009, 06:57 PM
my point, and i think the point of the op as well, is why ever even create that risk? Too me its stupid and a gamble. Just stand there for a couple of seconds and kneel the ball. No point and doing all that running around. It's unneccessary risk.

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2009, 07:00 PM
Like I said, I haven't reviewed the time remaining at that point and probably won't bother to. I'll take your word for it that there was less time on the game clock than the combination of downs and play clocks.

lloyd45
12/31/2009, 07:01 PM
you can't let the results fool you into thinking it was a wise decision. had they called up a hail mary and threw it to take the lead by 10 would it have been the right decision? I mean, it worked.

For me, its far easier to second guess decisions when you get the win or the play was successful because you're not letting the results cloud your judgement. Had Jones fumbled on any one of those scrambling plays the reaction would be drastically different here and we all know it.

theresonly1OU
12/31/2009, 07:02 PM

...ever hear of, STFU, we just won a f**king bowl game?

Jesus; you're the kind of guy who wins the lottery and bitches about the taxes.

lloyd45
12/31/2009, 07:06 PM
taxes are too high though

Leroy Lizard
12/31/2009, 07:08 PM
File this under: "We won, but I gotta' complain about KW somehow."

hawaii 5-0
12/31/2009, 07:09 PM
Maybe the coaches knew that the idiot in the replay booth was the same one who gave Uterus the extra second on the clock to beat Nebraska. It's not the 1st time I've seen a QB scramble around, burning up the clock.

Great game by Landry Jones, Broyles, the Oline protecting Landry and the Defense by not breaking come crunch time, in spite of the injuries. Ratteree also stepped up his game. I like Dejuan Miller alot tho he seems to fall alot after the catch. He made some clutch catches to keep drives alive. Ronell Lewis was a monster.

Where was Dom Franks the whole game?

:cool: 5-0

lexsooner
12/31/2009, 07:14 PM
To do what? Receive a sky pooch that reaches the returner just in time for 3 defenders to pile drive him with no more time left?

Do you remember a game we played a few years ago against Boise St.? Anyway, between a qb taking a snap and running around a little and falling down each play to run all the time out, vs. kneeling three times and letting the opponent have a play . . . . I will take the former anytime. Don't give them any chance on offense. The hook and lateral by Boise St. shows if you have the ball, miracles (and well-designed plays) can happen. Plus, what if on a last play hail Mary, we commit interference, and Stanford is then close to mid-field and has one last hail Mary to the end zone? We seem to break stupid sometimes, and it could have happened. I don't like taking any chances of that scenario. Good call, KW.

SoonerLB
12/31/2009, 08:05 PM
It IS a moot point, but as we all know, KW only calls running plays when the defense is expecting him to, so maybe this was his way of trying to trick them. ;)

And Leroy, that file is now taking up an entire file cabinet. Just sayin' ... :)

Leroy Lizard
12/31/2009, 08:09 PM
It IS a moot point, but as we all know, KW only calls running plays when the defense is expecting him to, so maybe this was his way of trying to trick them

We already disproved the notion that KW calls certain plays on certain downs. I would just love it if one time people put their predictions right here for everyone to see BEFORE the play is run, rather than waiting to see if the play works.

soonerboy
12/31/2009, 08:09 PM
Because we dont need landry anymore, brett favre decided he misses college football and wants to play at OU next year.

boomerborn79
12/31/2009, 08:53 PM
This is all a mute point if we had ran the ball on 2nd, 3rd down the series before instead of passing and forcing the d to have a stop. Two simple run plays puts the ball in the middle of the field for O'hara too. I guess we just wanted to give harbough a chance and let him save his T.O. BUT We had a long drive that basically iced the game. Then we had the D win the game for us which is fitting given how well they have done this season.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/31/2009, 09:04 PM

fumble caused by a bad handoff.

swardboy
12/31/2009, 09:39 PM
IMHO LJ would have been safer to just backpeddle, have full sight left to right, and kneel at a safe point.

Scott D
12/31/2009, 09:42 PM
I'd rather chalk it up to him being a freshman. Hell, I'm just happy he remembered to slide on the first two.

CBUS_SOONER
12/31/2009, 09:45 PM
Should have went play action and then up top. After the TD, go for two

lloyd45
12/31/2009, 09:46 PM
IMHO LJ would have been safer to just backpeddle, have full sight left to right, and kneel at a safe point.

at least do this rather than ever turn your back to the d

StoopTroup
12/31/2009, 11:53 PM
When they asked Suh last night why he stayed in the game with a 33 point lead...I thought he gave a great answer.

Same thing for today.

They played football to the end.

I enjoyed watching OUr boys hoist another Trophy.

picasso
12/31/2009, 11:56 PM

Didn't want to risk a muffed hand off. And the way this season has gone I can't blame them.

AlbqSooner
1/1/2010, 02:25 PM
...ever hear of, STFU, we just won a f**king bowl game?

Jesus; you're the kind of guy who wins the lottery and bitches about the taxes.

I am the kind of guy who won a $50 gift certificate and DOESN'T bitch about not getting it.:P :P :P

GKeeper316
1/1/2010, 02:33 PM
because football games last 60 minutes, not 57 minutes 30 seconds.

OUmillenium
1/1/2010, 02:33 PM
I thought it was great clock management. Coaches did the math, told LJ to scramble a little then go down.

olevetonahill
1/1/2010, 02:35 PM
I'd rather chalk it up to him being a freshman. Hell, I'm just happy he remembered to slide on the first two.

LMAO

soonerhubs
1/1/2010, 02:54 PM
What happens if Landry runs full speed backawrds after the snap and slides at the 50? Eh? Eh? ;)

Scott D
1/1/2010, 04:39 PM
as long as it's before the catcher throws the ball to 2nd he'll be safe. ;)

Petro-Sooner
1/1/2010, 04:46 PM
How about Landry run forward with the ball and slide. Has that option been thrown out there?

Scott D
1/1/2010, 04:48 PM
Not if the idea is to run clock while avoiding the potential for having the ball knocked out of his hands, we're not discussing this at all if there wasn't a missed block on that third down play.

Eielson
1/1/2010, 04:50 PM
How about we line Broyles up near the endzone, longsnap it to Way, and then have him turn around and punt it backwards?

Petro-Sooner
1/1/2010, 04:53 PM
How about we line Broyles up near the endzone, longsnap it to Way, and then have him turn around and punt it backwards?

Now we're getting somewhere.

soonerhubs
1/1/2010, 06:01 PM
Now we are seeing some insightful solutions. :D I like it. We should be coaches.