PDA

View Full Version : My pop...

C&CDean
12/31/2009, 09:51 AM
was a quiet, kind, giving, gentle, God loving man.

When I was a kid growing up, he was a hard man. Stern, driven, very dead set in his ways. He was as strict a parent as you could find, but he was fair. During my teenage years we were pretty much on non-speaking terms as I was as rotten a punk-assed teenager as there ever was. As I matured, we re-developed a relationship that has been great for the past 25 years or so.

Pop taught me how to hunt and fish. He taught me how to work hard, and always give the man an honest day's work. He taught me how to change oil, do brakes, tune ups, and all kinds of mechanical stuff. He showed through example how to be a good husband and provider. He taught me about discipline, dedication, and perserverence. When I needed it, pop whooped my *** - and I needed it a lot growing up. I took some fairly serious whoopings that by today's standards would be considered beatings/abuse. It wasn't. I deserved every one I got, and more. My pop is the only man on this planet that ever whooped my ***.

Pop went to church every Sunday and most Wednesdays. I've never seen him take a drink of liquor or smoke a cig - although he did when he was younger before I was born. I've never heard him mutter a swear word in my life. Not even a damn or hell. He never spent a single night away from home in anger, and he's never done anything but gently love my mom.

Pop was a big man. About 6'+ and maybe 225. Strong as an ox. Never finished the 8th grade. He joined the Army Air Corps during WWII, and retired in 1968 from the USAF after finishing 2 tours in Bien Hoa, Vietnam. He worked another 20-something years for Pima County in Arizona, then helped my mom with the soup kitchen at the Salvation Army for several years.

I saw him this past Saturday in Tucson. He weighed about 95 pounds. He recognized me, and I spoke to him for about an hour or so. He got a few words out, and when it was time to go, he kissed me and I kissed him and told him I loved him. This was the first time in my 52 years that this has happened. Mom said he kissed me when I was a baby, but I don't remember it. Anyhow, he smiled and laughed a little then laid back and went to sleep.

About 3 hours ago my pop started his journey to the next life. Mom said he went peacefully which is all we can ask. I'm so happy I got a chance to see him once more before he passed on and that I had a chance to tell him how much I loved him. I'm gonna miss you pop.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/31/2009, 09:57 AM
Sorry for your loss Dean. I am glad for you that you did get to see him this past Saturday and have that moment with him. You and your family take care and you all will be in my prayers.

OhU1
12/31/2009, 10:06 AM
I am sorry for your loss. Your dad sounds like he was a great man and lived a very full and wonderful life.

1890MilesToNorman
12/31/2009, 10:07 AM
My condolences Dean, he sounds like a great man!

Sooner24
12/31/2009, 10:10 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Your dad sounds a lot like mine. My dad passed away in 1975 when I was 19 years old so I never got to spend my adult years with him like you did with yours. He never saw me married or the birth of my two kids. Just be glad in the knowing he led a long life, passed peacefully and is now in the arms of his Lord. You and your family are in my prayers.

ouwasp
12/31/2009, 10:12 AM
Sounds like pop was a salt-of-the-Earth type, the kind America could use more of. Thanks for sharing this with us.....

nmsoonergirl
12/31/2009, 10:15 AM
So sorry for your loss. We will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

beer4me
12/31/2009, 10:25 AM
Condolences Dean your a lucky man to have had a father like that many haven't.

RacerX
12/31/2009, 10:31 AM
Congrats to Pop! He had a great and full life.

Tiptonsooner
12/31/2009, 10:35 AM
Don't know you Dean, but your Pop sounds like mine. With that connection, I know how you feel. Lots of pride, about a great man. A little regret, about times that coulda been different. Sorry for your loss. He knew he did his job, I think you let him know that with your last visit, prob why he chuckled at you guys last exchange..

Godspeed...

olevetonahill
12/31/2009, 10:37 AM
Condolences Bro

SoonerBorn68
12/31/2009, 10:40 AM
Thoughts & prayers to you and your family Dean. I'm glad you were able to see him one last time.

captain_surly
12/31/2009, 11:05 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. I too was a wayward youth who was lucky enough to reconcile with his dad for several great years. I truly hope you can find some consolation in that.

Chuck Bao
12/31/2009, 11:13 AM
That is a great tribute. May God be with you and your family, Dean.

49r
12/31/2009, 11:16 AM
Godspeed pops.

From personal experience, I know it aint ever easy. You have my sincerest condolences. He sounds like as good a father as anyone could ever hope for.

Soonerus
12/31/2009, 11:17 AM
Dean, my deepest condolences, I know it is a huge loss and my prayers are with you and your family...Your tribute brought a tear to my eye...

swardboy
12/31/2009, 11:23 AM
It is one of life's greatest needs to know we have the blessing of our parents upon our lives. You are a fortunate man.....

Tailwind
12/31/2009, 11:30 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of your father's passing, Dean. It's really hard to lose someone you love so much. Prayers for you and your family, especially your mom.

picasso
12/31/2009, 11:31 AM
Well said Dean.

FaninAma
12/31/2009, 11:36 AM
Dean, so sorry to hear about your Dad. The one time I got to meet him it was obvious he was a gentleman from the old school.

Deepest condolensces.

Norm In Norman
12/31/2009, 11:39 AM
Dean - we're thinking about you bud. Glad you got to see him one last time.

LilSooner
12/31/2009, 11:39 AM
Dang Dean, I am so very sorry.

CrimsonJim
12/31/2009, 12:04 PM
Dean, sending you my sincerest condolences. That was a fantastic tribute and brought a tear to my eye. Reminds me of my father, whom I hope to have many more years to love and enjoy. Our prayers are with you and your family in this difficult time. God bless.

Viking Kitten
12/31/2009, 12:21 PM
So sorry, Dean. That's a wonderful tribute you wrote.

Flagstaffsooner
12/31/2009, 12:24 PM
Sorry Dean, my prayers to you and your family.

Boomer.....
12/31/2009, 12:42 PM
Sorry to hear that Dean. Prayers to you and your family.

TUSooner
12/31/2009, 12:57 PM
My condolences, Friend. You wrote fine tribute to the man, and your life, as much as I know of it from your candid statements on this board and in a few PMs, is also a very fine tribute.

Collier11
12/31/2009, 12:58 PM

When I was a kid growing up, he was a hard man. Stern, driven, very dead set in his ways. He was as strict a parent as you could find, but he was fair. During my teenage years we were pretty much on non-speaking terms as I was as rotten a punk-assed teenager as there ever was. As I matured, we re-developed a relationship that has been great for the past 25 years or so.

Pop taught me how to hunt and fish. He taught me how to work hard, and always give the man an honest day's work. He taught me how to change oil, do brakes, tune ups, and all kinds of mechanical stuff. He showed through example how to be a good husband and provider. He taught me about discipline, dedication, and perserverence. When I needed it, pop whooped my *** - and I needed it a lot growing up. I took some fairly serious whoopings that by today's standards would be considered beatings/abuse. It wasn't. I deserved every one I got, and more. My pop is the only man on this planet that ever whooped my ***.

Pop went to church every Sunday and most Wednesdays. I've never seen him take a drink of liquor or smoke a cig - although he did when he was younger before I was born. I've never heard him mutter a swear word in my life. Not even a damn or hell. He never spent a single night away from home in anger, and he's never done anything but gently love my mom.

Pop was a big man. About 6'+ and maybe 225. Strong as an ox. Never finished the 8th grade. He joined the Army Air Corps during WWII, and retired in 1968 from the USAF after finishing 2 tours in Bien Hoa, Vietnam. He worked another 20-something years for Pima County in Arizona, then helped my mom with the soup kitchen at the Salvation Army for several years.

I saw him this past Saturday in Tucson. He weighed about 95 pounds. He recognized me, and I spoke to him for about an hour or so. He got a few words out, and when it was time to go, he kissed me and I kissed him and told him I loved him. This was the first time in my 52 years that this has happened. Mom said he kissed me when I was a baby, but I don't remember it. Anyhow, he smiled and laughed a little then laid back and went to sleep.

About 3 hours ago my pop started his journey to the next life. Mom said he went peacefully which is all we can ask. I'm so happy I got a chance to see him once more before he passed on and that I had a chance to tell him how much I loved him. I'm gonna miss you pop.

Sorry to hear that Dean, tough deal. Prayers to your family

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2009, 01:06 PM
Condolences Dean.

AlbqSooner
12/31/2009, 01:12 PM
Condolences Dean. Heaven is smiling on the arrival of a good man.

soonerhubs
12/31/2009, 01:15 PM
My condolences Dean. Prayers sent your family's way.

Mjcpr
12/31/2009, 01:24 PM
My condolences, Dean. It's tough losing your dad but it does help to be able to say goodbye to him at the end. Good thoughts to your family.

TexasLidig8r
12/31/2009, 01:55 PM
Perhaps the measure of a person's legacy is knowing they left the world a better place than when they came into it.

It would appear as if your dad did just that.

Condolences.

PVSoonerFan
12/31/2009, 02:15 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss Dean. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

OUHOMER
12/31/2009, 02:41 PM
Condolences Dean, glad you got to see him one last time, and to talk to him and tell him how you felt, Sounds like he got to tell you too.

Petro-Sooner
12/31/2009, 02:47 PM
Sorry for your loss Dean!!

Okla-homey
12/31/2009, 04:02 PM
Airborne,

May God Bless your Father on his trip to Glory. My prayer is for peace and comfort for you and yours as you celebrate his life. No tears, its a Homecoming my brother. No more pain, no more suffering. Only Light. And Peace.

ATW,
Keith

VeeJay
12/31/2009, 07:04 PM
"Remember the Good Times." It sounds like they were all good times with your Pop. He sounds like he was a great man, husband and provider.

God Bless him and prayers for your family.

Zbird
12/31/2009, 07:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your dad, but I'm happy you had that last visit. Godspeed !

Lott's Bandana
12/31/2009, 07:32 PM
Hand Salute. It will be tough when my Ret AF Dad goes.

Hooah Bro.

A Sooner in Texas
12/31/2009, 08:24 PM
What an amazing man your Dad was, Dean. My condolences for your loss but how wonderful the two of you had those last moments to love and appreciate each other.

OUinFLA
12/31/2009, 11:23 PM
Sorry for your loss Dean,
Your Dad and my Dad would have been great friends, I think

1/1/2010, 12:09 AM
I am very sorry for the loss to your family and your personal loss. Losing a parent is never easy. I only hope you gather strength through his departure and know he will be with you in spirit.

toast
1/1/2010, 12:24 AM
Sorry for you and your family's loss, sounds like a great man.

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2010, 12:36 AM
Very sorry to hear of your loss Dean. My best to you and your family.

olevetonahill
1/1/2010, 01:20 AM
Very sorry to hear of your loss Dean. My best to you and your family.

Hows Yer Dad doing Little bro?

btk108
1/1/2010, 01:40 AM
Sorry to hear of his passing Dean, how awesome that you got to spend time with him before he left. We're all thinking of you at our house.

soonerboomer93
1/1/2010, 02:00 AM
Condolances to you and the family Dean

stoops the eternal pimp
1/1/2010, 02:00 AM
dean, just reading this.....

you know in our conversations, we shared a lot with each other about our parents...hopefully I'll muster up enough to share more about my situation...

im praying for you and your family..your friendship is highly valuable to me...god bless

SCOUT
1/1/2010, 03:13 AM
I sincerely and respectfully offer you and your family my condolences. Losing someone close to you is a very difficult thing, to be sure. I pray that you, and yours, grow even closer together through this difficult time.

God Bless.

Curly Bill
1/1/2010, 03:26 AM
Sorry for your loss Dean. God Bless.

Crucifax Autumn
1/1/2010, 06:50 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. My sincerenst condolences to you and your family.

AggieTool
1/1/2010, 10:54 AM
My condolences as well.

C&CDean
1/1/2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments and your thoughts and prayers.

Dad's funeral won't be until next Thursday in Arizona. He'll be buried with full military honors - except that instead of military pall bearers, several of the grandsons will have the honor of carrying him to his grave.

Again, thanks to you all for your support.

Rogue
1/1/2010, 11:45 AM
Greatest generation, indeed.
You and your family are in my thoughts.

colleyvillesooner
1/1/2010, 12:39 PM
So sorry Dean. Mine and Jen's hearts go out to you in this time of loss. Sounds like a great man.

ChickSoonerFan
1/1/2010, 11:04 PM
Very sorry Dean. Glad you have so many wonderful memories of him. I can't imagine what it feels like to lose a parent but it sounds like being able to see him so close to the end and share those moments had to help a little.

Thoughts and prayers for you and yours.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/1/2010, 11:12 PM
It's cool that he got to know you in your adult years.

The Remnant
1/2/2010, 03:50 AM
You never really get over it . You just learn to live with it.

GrapevineSooner
1/2/2010, 11:20 AM
Very sorry for your loss, Dean.

It sounds like he did the best he could to impart the wisdom he picked up throughout his life and imparted it onto you.

And that's one of the best gifts any parent can give their children.

JLEW1818
1/2/2010, 12:49 PM
sorry bro. keep going forward

God Bless

Turd_Ferguson
1/2/2010, 01:22 PM
^^^What he said....RIP Pop.

Fraggle145
1/2/2010, 03:46 PM
Sorry to hear that Dean. :(

jaux
1/3/2010, 06:50 AM
I am very sorry for your loss. Your Pop helped raise a good man. Hold his memory dear. I remember in 2005 you raised a shot of Crown in memory of my Dad; I'll do the same for yours.

85Sooner
1/3/2010, 10:34 AM
So sorry for your loss. May the memories remain strong.

AMSooner
1/3/2010, 11:05 PM
Sorry for your loss, Dean. :(

pb4ou
1/4/2010, 04:53 AM
condolences to you bro and we'll keep you and your family in prayer

OUDoc
1/4/2010, 09:41 AM
Sorry for your loss, Dean. :(

Howzit
1/4/2010, 11:33 AM
Just saw this, I'm very sorry to hear it, Dean.

:(

NormanPride
1/4/2010, 11:42 AM
It's always hard losing a loved one. You know you've got prayers from us...

OklaPony
1/4/2010, 11:44 AM
Sorry to hear it, Dean. Sounds like your Dad was cut from the same cloth as mine. Your story certainly has a familiar ring to it... Here's wishing for the best for you and your family.

Soonerwake
1/4/2010, 12:07 PM
Sorry for your loss, Dean. Sounds like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree after all.

Oldnslo
1/4/2010, 03:38 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Your Dad sounds like he was a great guy. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

C&CDean
1/9/2010, 10:43 PM
Just got back from Arizona from the funeral.

What an awesome celebration of a man's life. Standing room only, too many people wanting to say something about what this man meant to them, and the most perfect graveside service in the history of funerals.

I never have cared much for the USAF, but those dudes put on the finest military funeral I have ever witnessed. When mom told the dude handing her the flag "give it to my son, he's the oldest boy who served his country" the AF dude never missed a beat. He side-stepped over to me, handed me the flag and said something to the order of "the president of the USA wishes to thank your father for his service to his country, and the USAF wants to give you this flag in remembrence of his service..." I could only snap to attention and salute just like I was trained. He never flinched, finished his deal, and then saluted the flag in my hands and marched off. This was after the 21-gun salute, taps, etc.

The flag off pop's coffin, and 3 of the shells from the salute will always be my most prized possessions.

Anyhow, thanks again everybody. I'm back, and I'm good with it all.

olevetonahill
1/9/2010, 11:00 PM
God Bless Ya bro
I have My Dads Flag , My Son who served in Bosnia and the Invasion Of Iraq will Get it an Mine when I go

Salute bro

C&CDean
1/9/2010, 11:06 PM
My 19-year old took his test last week, and will be taking his physical at the end of the month. We're all praying it all goes good and he'll be the next generation in the family to serve. He's going Army. Like a good son should.

olevetonahill
1/9/2010, 11:09 PM
Good Man he is :cool: