PDA

View Full Version : Luck might play in Sun Bowl

Boomer.....
12/30/2009, 04:11 PM
EL PASO, Texas (AP) -- Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck has had pins removed after surgery to repair his broken right index finger, and coach Jim Harbaugh says the freshman might play in Thursday's Sun Bowl.

During a news conference Wednesday in El Paso, Harbaugh said Luck "is progressing nicely."

Harbaugh says Stanford coaches and medical staff are hopeful Luck will be able to play against Oklahoma. Harbaugh also says he plans to wait "another 24 hours" before making a decision on his availability.

Tavita Pritchard, a senior, has been taking snaps for the No. 19 Cardinal in practice.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/12/30/stanford-luck.ap/index.html

westbrooke
12/30/2009, 04:21 PM
Ah, I was just coming here to post about this!

I wonder what this will actually mean for their lineup? Luck has missed their bowl preparations. Is he that much better than Pritchard that he would start despite the lack of practice? I suspect the answer is "yes," just as Sam would immediately retake the QB job sight-unseen if he were healthy enough to play. If he's rusty, though, we could be looking at some good defensive opportunities early in the game.

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2009, 04:37 PM
Out here in Pac10-land, Luck is often describe as the best future NFL prospect of all the teams - and that includes the USC guy. In the games I've watched, he is very accurate when his guy is open. But his real threat is that he doesn't take chances if no one is open and instead, becomes a very good runner. Pritchard isn't nearly as good a runner and lost his job because of his bone-head plays.

SoonerAtKU
12/30/2009, 04:59 PM
Gimpy index finger leads to passes sailing high, if I recall. Not a great recipe for a fairly quick defense with good secondary play. It'd mean a lot of short passes and handoffs. Don't know how that fits with their usual game plan, though.

bent rider
12/30/2009, 05:05 PM
The Daily Disappointment said Luck was very, very unlikely to play.

Then again since the ball is pointy on both ends, luck tends to play in a lot of bowl games.

stoopified
12/30/2009, 05:27 PM
The Daily Disappointment said Luck was very, very unlikely to play.

Then again since the ball is pointy on both ends, luck tends to play in a lot of bowl games.:D

BajaOklahoma
12/30/2009, 05:47 PM
I have always expected him to be back in time to play. <shrug>

humblesooner
12/30/2009, 05:51 PM

A couple of weeks back, Oliver (Andrew's dad)was interviewed on one of the local Houston sports channels. He was asked about Andrew and his reply was the Andrew was very disappointed about not being able to play in the Sun Bowl after earning the starting position earlier in the season and playing so well all year. He sounded 100% that Andrew was not going to be able to play in the Bowl.

goingoneight
12/30/2009, 05:53 PM
The only "Luck" we've seen this year is bad.

Tell "luck" to stay home.

cvsooner
12/30/2009, 06:19 PM
The Stanford offensive coordinator described it as "very, very doubtful" that Luck would play. Well, I guess we'll know tomorrow.

Scott D
12/30/2009, 06:33 PM

After the whole LenDale White not going to play in the Orange Bowl awhile back nonsense, I refuse to believe that any prominent player for the opposing team will not be playing in a game until the game starts and that player isn't in uniform.

Frozen Sooner
12/30/2009, 06:54 PM
Talked to a guy who's in a position to know who said he would be surprised if Luck didn't play. FWIW.