PDA

View Full Version : Scout's All-Decade Teams

Eielson
12/29/2009, 03:24 PM
Sorry if this has been posted. Been away for a few days and didn't/don't see it.

Offense:
http://cfn.scout.com/2/931006.html

Defense:
http://cfn.scout.com/2/931007.html

Notable:
QB: Tebow at #1 QB (barf)
-Bradford at #7 QB (WTF?)
-White at #8 QB (alright I suppose)

RB: Peterson at #1 RB (Yay!)
-Bush at #3 ahead of LT at #6?
-Quentin Griffin at #15 (<3)

WR: Mark Clayton at #15 (boo!)

OL: Jammal Brown at #6
-Okung #15
-Duke Robinson #16

Defense:
DT: Harris as #1 and Suh as #2
(They were number three and four overall as defensive lineman. Peppers was #2. Pollack was #1? Seriously?)
-McCoy pops in at #10, #5 DT

LB: Calmus at#5
Lehman at #9

DB: TRRW at #2 (behind Ed Reed)
-Strait at #9 (#4 CB)

P: Daniel Sepulveda at #1 (Go Baylor!)

KR/PR: Perkins at #5

Gresham was the most obvious snub in my opinion. Heupel didn't make the list, either. That's about the only OU people I would have put on there. I would have put Torrance Marshall on there, but that might be biased. The LBs were pretty solid.

starclassic tama
12/29/2009, 06:29 PM
jermaine gresham not in the top 10 tight ends? RIDICULOUS. i'm willing to bet he has a lot more touchdowns and catches than some of the guys in front of him, but i don't feel like looking it up.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/29/2009, 06:42 PM
commentary on the defense:

DL - the only person who looked way down the list was suggs. of course, he is kind of a barry sanders type - had 1 incredible season.

LB - the U has a beef with #14. i know he only played one season in this decade but that guy was fairly incredible in his tenure at miami.

DB - strait ahead of sean taylor is the first eyebrow raiser there. newman is another one of those suggs types with one monster year (only juco player on there i see). kind f surprised texas doesn't have more guys on the DB list - vasher, jammer - etc.

punt returner - didn't welker and perkins have nearly identical stats?

IronHorseSooner
12/29/2009, 06:46 PM
How is Pony Boy #4? He didn't win a Heisman (Sam), he won just ONE Big XII Title (Sam with two), Sam QBed the #1 offense in the modern game, and McCoy was taken to the limit by Landry Jones. His best play in his career was tackling Brian Jackson to prevent a pick-six!

Gresham has been called by some the best TE prospect in a decade. How he's not considered in the, at least, the top 5 is mind-boggling. Urban Meyer called him him the best player that they had seen all year. I call BS to this list.

You could also argue Jeff Ferguson as one of the best punters, but I digress.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/29/2009, 06:50 PM
offense

QB - where is the kid from hawaii that shattered all the records?

RB - tomlinson is way too far down the list.

TE - pretty good names here. not sure what the beef is with gresham missing. there are an aweful lot of good TEs off the list - Miller from ASU, the kid from OSU last year, and even trent smith ;)

OL - shawn andrews - heh. i guess skipping your bowl game to prepare for the draft didn't merit a downward push.

Scott D
12/29/2009, 08:20 PM
offense

QB - where is the kid from hawaii that shattered all the records?

RB - tomlinson is way too far down the list.

TE - pretty good names here. not sure what the beef is with gresham missing. there are an aweful lot of good TEs off the list - Miller from ASU, the kid from OSU last year, and even trent smith ;)

OL - shawn andrews - heh. i guess skipping your bowl game to prepare for the draft didn't merit a downward push.

Timmy Chang or Colt Brennan?

Eielson
12/29/2009, 10:51 PM
Timmy Chang or Colt Brennan?

I'm guessing Brennan, but regardless, they were both overrated. Or as this rating shows...rated correctly.

Well, Chang may not have been overrated. He didn't seem to get near the hype.

Scott D
12/30/2009, 02:37 PM
Chang's the one who first broke all the records though...also qb'd Hawaii for more than one season.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/30/2009, 02:43 PM
how are you measuring overrated? i mean they DID throw for all of those yards right?

of all the positions on the teams, QB seems to be the one that is given to the guys on good teams. it isn't until #6 that you see a really talented QB on a mediocre team. guys like david carr, any of the ttech QBs, the kids from hawaii had no control over the personnel on their teams, but they were still really good college, repeat college, players.

TMcGee86
12/30/2009, 02:54 PM
I just dont get all the love Pollock gets in these lists. I'm not saying he sucks, but I just don't remember being all that impressed by him.

85sooners
12/30/2009, 02:54 PM
[hairGel] the list is garbage!!!!!

Scott D
12/30/2009, 03:04 PM
I just dont get all the love Pollock gets in these lists. I'm not saying he sucks, but I just don't remember being all that impressed by him.

Pollock had great numbers for a college player.

rawlingsHOH
12/30/2009, 03:25 PM
Yep, they used to swoon over him on CBS like they do Tebow.

Eielson
12/30/2009, 03:30 PM
Pollock had great numbers for a college player.

So did Suh.

Eielson
12/30/2009, 03:31 PM
Yep, they used to swoon over him on CBS like they do Tebow.

Let's not go THAT far...

Scott D
12/30/2009, 03:34 PM
So did Suh.

one of those two was a 3 time all american...the other, finished in the top 5 of the heisman his senior year.

Eielson
12/30/2009, 03:37 PM
one of those two was a 3 time all american...the other, finished in the top 5 of the heisman his senior year.

Suh isn't a one year wonder. He was a stud last year, too. He just didn't have the media all over him like Pollack did.

Scott D
12/30/2009, 03:40 PM
Also other facts to back up why Pollock appears on those teams.

He became only the second 3-time All-American in school history (2002, 2003, 2004), next to Heisman winner Herschel Walker. In addition to his All-American honors, Pollack received the:

* 2002 Southeastern Conference Player of the Year Award,
* 2004 Southeastern Conference Defensive Player of the Year Award,
* 2004 Chuck Bednarik Award: given annually to the top collegiate defensive player,
* 2003 and 2004 Ted Hendricks Award: given annually to the top collegiate defensive end,
* 2004 Lombardi Award: given annually to the top defensive or offensive collegiate lineman who, in addition to outstanding performance and ability, best exemplifies the discipline of Vince Lombardi, and
* 2004 Lott Trophy: given annually to a defensive player exemplifying integrity, maturity, performance, academics, community, and tenacity.

His signature play came during the second game of the 2002 season. Pollack batted down a pass from South Carolina quarterback Corey Jenkins in the South Carolina end zone and managed to catch the ball in the end zone before it hit the ground; Pollack was credited with a 0-yard interception return for a touchdown. Pollack ended his college career with 36 sacks, a University of Georgia all-time record.[1]

Scott D
12/30/2009, 03:42 PM
Also, just because this is a ridiculous argument, both men played different positions.

Eielson
12/30/2009, 03:43 PM
Suh-

AP Player of the Year (2009)
Heisman Trophy Finalist (2009)
Outland Trophy (2009)
Chuck Bednarik Award (2009)
Bronko Nagurski Trophy (2009)
Lombardi Award (2009)
Bill Willis Award (2009)
Consensus First-team All-America (2009)
Big-12 Defensive Player of the Year (2009)
Big-12 Defensive Lineman of the Year (2009)
2× First-Team All-Big 12 (2008, 2009)
MVP Big 12 Championship Game (2009)
First-Team Freshman All-Big 12 (2006)

Scott D
12/30/2009, 03:46 PM
Wait? what exactly are you arguing? Suh is the #2 DT on this list...what does any of that have to do with David Pollock? They're both first teamers on this list.

Eielson
12/30/2009, 03:50 PM
Wait? what exactly are you arguing? Suh is the #2 DT on this list...what does any of that have to do with David Pollock? They're both first teamers on this list.

I just find it odd that you would have Pollack, Suh, Peppers, and Harris all on a list, and that you would rate Pollack on top.

Scott D
12/30/2009, 03:53 PM
I guess if that's how you look at it. To me since it's broken down by teams it's pretty meaningless since they have 2 ends and 2 tackles. Same with Linebackers, each squad of linebackers has two MLB's out of the 3 backers.

TMcGee86
12/30/2009, 03:57 PM
huh, I guess I just don't remember him that well. I could have sworn that Dallas was looking at him and I felt he was overrated.

Might have been someone else.

Scott D
12/30/2009, 06:22 PM
Pollock was drafted by the Bengals, and forced to retire due to a neck injury.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/30/2009, 06:55 PM
FYI on suggs - Suggs attended Arizona State University, where he played defensive end for both Bruce Snyder and Dirk Koetter. He finished his career there with 163 tackles, including a school career record 65.5 tackles for losses, and NCAA career record 44 sacks, 14 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries, 2 interceptions, and 9 passes deflected. As a junior, he had 24 sacks, which is the official NCAA single-season record.