PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones Supporters!! I come in peace!!

adoniijahsooner
12/29/2009, 09:12 AM
It appears that Cam Newton has eliminated us from his list of schools to attend. I want to extend an olive branch, and say that I will fully support Landry until the beginning of spring practice, at that time I will take up the mantle of Drew Allen. May Landry toss 6 tds, and no interceptions thursday.

Asalamalakum my brothers.

Quarterback Cam Newton, as best we can tell, is seriously set on making his decision known on Thursday.

Newton, a Florida transfer who led Blinn (Texas) College to the junior college national championship, has apparently eliminated Oklahoma and will apparently choose between Auburn and Mississippi State.

http://www.auburnundercover.com/news/articles/2009/12/28/recruiting-rewind-dec-28-quarterback-plans-thursday-announcement

gaylordfan1
12/29/2009, 09:27 AM
Sounds like the kid (Newton) wants the job handed to him without a fight! Sad really, he must not think he can win or has too much competition.

King Crimson
12/29/2009, 09:32 AM
Sounds like the kid (Newton) wants the job handed to him without a fight! Sad really, he must not think he can win or has too much competition.

maybe, i don't know. AU needs a QB to match Malzahn's system which is gonna put up numbers/stats. At OU, he's got Jones with some experience and 5 star Bell coming in....going to Miss State no matter the circumstance makes little sense to me, however.

IronHorseSooner
12/29/2009, 09:32 AM
I will always wonder how much of recruiting Cam Newton was to get Landry's attention. I had only a moderate amount of confidence that we would land Newton, and he didn't seem to fit OUr system. He fits in better at MSU, as Auburn runs a gimmicky offense.

Anyhow, Landry, go out there and beat Stanford on Thursday, listen to Josh in the offseason, and bring home a championship next year. We recruited an entire line, 2 TE/FBs, 5 WRs, and two of the best combo backs in the land. Go forth and win, I say!

gaylordfan1
12/29/2009, 09:36 AM
I think Bell is a 4 star.... Not to be critical. He is at least a year from being game ready. But I'm down for whatever it takes to light a fire under our QB's.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/29/2009, 09:39 AM
maybe, i don't know. AU needs a QB to match Malzahn's system which is gonna put up numbers/stats. At OU, he's got Jones with some experience and 5 star Bell coming in....going to Miss State no matter the circumstance makes little sense to me, however.

Maybe because the head coach at Miss State was the O Coordinator at Florida and he runs a familiar offense to Newton..Mullen may have had a hand in recruiting Newton there, Im not sure...

sooner518
12/29/2009, 09:42 AM
I think Bell is a 4 star....

WHAT?!?!?!?! We're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMEDDDD!!!!!!!!!

adoniijahsooner
12/29/2009, 09:43 AM
I will always wonder how much of recruiting Cam Newton was to get Landry's attention. I had only a moderate amount of confidence that we would land Newton, and he didn't seem to fit OUr system. He fits in better at MSU, as Auburn runs a gimmicky offense.

Anyhow, Landry, go out there and beat Stanford on Thursday, listen to Josh in the offseason, and bring home a championship next year. We recruited an entire line, 2 TE/FBs, 5 WRs, and two of the best combo backs in the land. Go forth and win, I say!

There has been a few times I have seen Josh talking to Landry and Landry walking away. That is one of the main reasons I don't (did not) feel comfortable with him.

soonerboy
12/29/2009, 09:48 AM
There has been a few times I have seen Josh talking to Landry and Landry walking away. That is one of the main reasons I don't (did not) feel comfortable with him.

THATS BECAUSE COACH HEUPEL DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS DUH!!!!!!!! ;)

boomermagic
12/29/2009, 10:41 AM

That's gonna happen.. I don't care how much you respect a coach sometimes ya just get pissed and walk away but then you think it over and get back in there and eventually you learn what is being taught and you thank that coach.. Landry will be fine..

Widescreen
12/29/2009, 11:39 AM

I can understand how you feel. However, on TV I see coaches during games barking at a player for making a mistake and the player won't look at the coach and then walks away. Unless it's a chronic problem, I don't know that it means what you think.

TXBOOMER
12/29/2009, 11:50 AM
That's gonna happen.. I don't care how much you respect a coach sometimes ya just get pissed and walk away but then you think it over and get back in there and eventually you learn what is being taught and you thank that coach.. Landry will be fine..

Not if you havn't earned the right to get pissed. F any college player that doesn't show proper respect to his coach at all times, especially when they are out there sucking and need to listen. BTW, I've never seen Landry do that.

King Crimson
12/29/2009, 12:22 PM
BTW, I've never seen Landry do that.

me neither. i don't doubt someone on your *** when you know you made a bad throw/read/got sacked (again) doesn't feel good but i never saw LJ walk away from Heupel on TV at least.

as many good balls that LJ threw on big 3rd downs that were dropped in crucial situations....i'd be pissed too.

MamaMia
12/29/2009, 12:30 PM
Good luck to him.

goingoneight
12/29/2009, 01:32 PM

I'm pretty sure Drew Allen, Blake Bell, and five losses will get his attention in the off-season. Newton was recruited to make up for a lost body on the depth chart. Sam was out after Tejas and declared for the draft. Stoops always hits up the JUCO ranks to provide depth. In certain circumstances, a Heupel or a Torrance Marshall is ready to come in and start. Newton I'm sure was going to be thrown into open competition in the Spring. But you don't waste schollies on trying to get a player's attention. That's what the coaches are there for.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/29/2009, 01:34 PM
He probably turned down Oklahoma because Malcolm Kelly said his high school name in the pre game intros in the last game

goingoneight
12/29/2009, 01:47 PM
Or because we're all out of whatever "swagger" is. ;)

OUDoc
12/29/2009, 01:47 PM
Damn, Malcolm Kelly. :mad:

:)

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2009, 02:09 PM
We are assuming a few things:

1. Landry's struggles are due to his lack of focus or motivation.

2. A QB will play better if more pressure is placed on him.

3. We can judge whether a player is being respectful when we can't hear what is being said between the player and coach.

My feeling is that Landry just needs more practice time and experience. More pressure and motivation isn't going to make a difference. I don't doubt for a moment he is motivated, and the pressure already on his shoulders has to be enormous.

soonerloyal
12/29/2009, 02:13 PM
Well, wherever he chooses, I wish Cam Newton the best. He's a wonderfully talented young man and he should go far wherever he settles. It would be nice to see him develop as a Sooner, but if OU isn't his choice, then so be it.

Good luck, Cam.

boomermagic
12/29/2009, 02:16 PM
Not if you havn't earned the right to get pissed. F any college player that doesn't show proper respect to his coach at all times, especially when they are out there sucking and need to listen. BTW, I've never seen Landry do that.

Nor have I !

boomermagic
12/29/2009, 02:19 PM
He probably turned down Oklahoma because Malcolm Kelly said his high school name in the pre game intros in the last game

:pop: :D

boomermagic
12/29/2009, 02:23 PM

I don't think a guy turning and taking a few steps just to gather himself if he gets a little pissed is a big deal.. I bet if you ask Josh he would tell ya he did that.. I have NEVER seen Landry do it though.. Landry will be a great qb soon..

IslandSooner
12/29/2009, 02:49 PM
I do have confidence that Landry is capable of growing into a great qb.
But what, if anything, is known about Drew Allens ability?
Does he have the potential to be a great qb?
I am sure Drew has been discussed on here before, but I don't recall reading anything. I would think Stoops would want to redshirt Bell? (maybe not)?

misplacedsooner
12/29/2009, 03:06 PM
i would think so unless bell just comes in and lights it up and that aint easy to do as a true freshman at the qb position.

Widescreen
12/29/2009, 03:08 PM
Bell will redshirt. He's not coming in until the summer and there's no way he's going to pick it up well enough to unseat Landry (or Drew).

boomermagic
12/29/2009, 03:11 PM
Bell will redshirt. He's not coming in until the summer and there's no way he's going to pick it up well enough to unseat Landry (or Drew).

I agree and Landry will be our starter and lead us to a couple of very good seasons.. Both Landry and Drew need polish but Landry will look so much better next season..

SCxxSOONER
12/29/2009, 03:41 PM
I think Bell is a 4 star.... Not to be critical. He is at least a year from being game ready. But I'm down for whatever it takes to light a fire under our QB's.

on rivals he is a 4*, he is a 5* on scout.com

swardboy
12/29/2009, 03:57 PM
Homie: "Dude, Stoops kicked Brett Romar's *** off the team for making unearned bread!!"
Cam: "Say what?!!! I'm outta here...mebbe MSU gots a place."

adoniijahsooner
12/29/2009, 05:41 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/onthetrail?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2fonthetrail

From ESPN.......

Change of plans for Cam Newton, Sooners still in the mix

Top junior college quarterback Cameron Newton was suppose to announce his commitment new year's eve but that has changed, ESPN affiliate Web site BullDawgJunction.com reports.

lexsooner
12/29/2009, 06:12 PM
I admittedly did not get a chance to watch Landry Jones that much this season, but aren't people being kind of hard on a redshirt freshman who never expected to play in any game when the outcome was still undecided? Question: Is there any particular reason you doubters believe he will not improve?
I mean you have to consider Sam Bradford was a rare gem who was a star as a redshirt freshman. And I think he was a 3 star h.s. qb? But he also had Loadholt and the other star OL, Gresham, and receivers who could catch. Jones has a rebuilt OL which did not even protect Bradford against BYU and has been significantly weakened even more by countless injuries, no Gresham, Demarco Murray slowed by his injury, and new receivers who can't seem to catch the ball with any consistency. Add the fact defenses know how to defend the hurry up offense better this season - and well, I think people are too hard on Jones. Now I don't like his pencil thin moustache, but that's irrelevant.

adoniijahsooner
12/30/2009, 09:52 AM
After Cam Newton's dad announced yesterday that Cam will make his decision later than thursday, and that we are still in the battle for his services, I did some investigating and came across this....

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/932509.html

The most recent school to inquire about Faulkner is Oklahoma, who called his father to request film and transcripts in December.

The Sooners are in hot pursuit of top rated JuCo talent Cameron Newton, but are looking to some back-up plans if he opts for Mississippi State or Auburn when he announces his final decision on 12-31.

Faulkner knows that the interest from OU may never even go beyond the initial inquiry, but he is still ecstatic that a national power has him in mind.

“That is great, because even a call from a coach like Coach (Josh) Heupel to another school and putting in a word for me would just go a long way itself. That is a blessing to have a school like that (call).”

“Even just saying Oklahoma is just great to say and it great to have that recognition from a school of the talents that I have been given.

Heupel actually has a longer history with Faulkner, as the Sooners were down to scout him when he played in high school, but Faulkner says he did not impress the OU coach liked he had hoped he would.

“He (Heupel) came to see my in high school and it was the game after I had suffered a concussion. He did not even know I had a concussion, so he probably just thought I sucked. I had two touchdowns but in the fourth quarter I had three interceptions. To be honest I should not have played the game after a concussion, but I had been waiting on a rivalry game in Texas Stadium all year and there was no way I was going to pass it up.”

Here is a vid of Faulkner, who looks a little better than Cam in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpy3-PU7qe8

So Heupel started recruiting a another Jr College qb by the name of Matt Faulkner just in case Cam doesnt work out. This really is IN MY OPINION a sure sign they really do not believe Landry will take them where they need to go. Here is a vid of Faulkner, who looks a little better than Cam in my opinion.

SoonerKnight
12/30/2009, 04:18 PM
Coaches go after the best talent. Landry did not play/listen good enoughj this year.

goingoneight
12/30/2009, 05:50 PM
All these QB threads make me wonder why nobody is discussing the O-Line that contributed to an injured QB and an expected shaky performance by his freshman backup?

Where's the "fire Trent Ratterree, we need a new Gresham!!!" thread?

OL, Gresham, Bradford... the lack thereof explains 2009 loud and clear. Give us those guys, we have an identity on offense, we're certainly able to score those whopping two points against BYU and Miami, OU/TX ain't even close and Nebraska is a comfortable win. Does the defense even think of giving up if we're moving the chains and scoring against Sand Aggy?

rawlingsHOH
12/30/2009, 06:01 PM
Coaches go after the best talent. Landry did not play/listen good enoughj this year.
He played well, especially for a freshman in that situation.

Didn't listen good enough?

NCSooner18
12/30/2009, 06:07 PM
Perhaps Cam Newton is afraid he will end up at center.

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2009, 06:14 PM
All these QB threads make me wonder why nobody is discussing the O-Line that contributed to an injured QB and an expected shaky performance by his freshman backup?

OL, Gresham, Bradford... the lack thereof explains 2009 loud and clear. Give us those guys, we have an identity on offense, we're certainly able to score those whopping two points against BYU and Miami, OU/TX ain't even close and Nebraska is a comfortable win. Does the defense even think of giving up if we're moving the chains and scoring against Sand Aggy?

Because it's easier to call out the QB's name than list a bunch of circumstances. Also, the OU jersey has magical powers and any player that pulls one on is suddenly capable of delivering a championship of some sort.

Give me Bradford and Gresham and we are a better team. Maybe we don't win the big12 and would be a long shot at the title game, but we are better than 7-5 and no one wants to mess with us. The line might have improved more quickly just if we convert a few more 3rd downs and they have more chances to get in rhythm. The receivers may have improved more quickly with more passes delivered more accurately. And finally, we may even have had less injuries. I have no data to back it up, but it always seems that the better team in attack mode has fewer injuries than the attackee. Eldridge hurt his neck making a tackle on one of Landry's interception that Sam probably doesn't throw. Landry wasn't supposed to be playing this year - he was scheduled to compete for the job starting next spring. That's still going to happen.

cvsooner
12/30/2009, 06:17 PM

Watching Wisconsin/Miami last night and how many throws Wisky was making to not one, but two tight ends, just about made me sick. Well, can't do nothin' 'bout it now.

adoniijahsooner
12/30/2009, 06:33 PM
You guys keeping asking questions that are beyond the fans ability to answer. You really need to ask why Josh Heupel and Stoops are looking at Cam Newton and possibly Faulkner, if Newton doesnt work out. Newton took us off his list and then added us back on, why? Did Stoops tell him you will be the starter when spring comes around? These coaches know and understand what Landry had to work with, and they still are looking at 2 JC QBs to come in and challenge for the job.

They are recruiting Juco lineman and Juco QB's, because those are where we have needs.

boomerborn79
12/30/2009, 09:20 PM

Oh that reminds me. Does anyone know how to get the Boomer Sooner ring tone?

boomerborn79
12/30/2009, 09:30 PM
After Cam Newton's dad announced yesterday that Cam will make his decision later than thursday, and that we are still in the battle for his services, I did some investigating and came across this....

So Heupel started recruiting a another Jr College qb by the name of Matt Faulkner just in case Cam doesnt work out. This really is IN MY OPINION a sure sign they really do not believe Landry will take them where they need to go. Here is a vid of Faulkner, who looks a little better than Cam in my opinion.

Kid reminds me of Heupel. Reads the field well, knows his arms ability. I like him better too.

boomerborn79
12/30/2009, 09:32 PM
Perhaps Cam Newton is afraid he will end up at center.

:D

Piware
12/30/2009, 10:22 PM
If that's his choice then good for him. Good point about having the job handed to him. That's okay son ~ if you can't hunt with the big dogs it's best to stay on the porch.

yankee
12/31/2009, 02:58 AM

impressive. i like the way he throws the ball. wouldn't mind him in the crimson, if for nothing else than depth..

birddog
12/31/2009, 08:14 PM
passed fer 418 and looked great rolling out at times. I feel great for the kid.

Freshman thrown into the mix, months after I watched him playing high school ball on Espn 2.

I got chills when I saw Landry pump up the coaches and players after the timeout around the 2 min mark.

GREAT TO SEE THE GOOD GUYS WIN!!