PDA

View Full Version : Is this sick or what ?

olevetonahill
12/29/2009, 04:33 AM
Mommy wants to be buried on top of her Dead son ?

Hell If I had got killed in Nam I dont want No One on top of me :eek:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091228/ap_on_go_ot/us_fallen_soldier_s_mom

Crucifax Autumn
12/29/2009, 05:13 AM
I don't know if sick is the right word. Completely demented and borderline retarded? Yep.

King Barry's Back
12/29/2009, 05:36 AM
What's sick about family members wanting to be buried together? The poor soldier was single and childless, and thus will be buried alone if his mother is not interred nearby.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems not only not "sick" or "retarded," but completely normal and routine?

And, unless some organized opposition takes root in the vets community -- that bill will sail through Congress. Right now, as the article notes, it's part of a larger VA-reform bill (HR 3949: 'Veterans' Small Business Assistance and Servicemembers Protection Act of 2009'.

If the larger bill gets hung up, they may have to break out the "Corey Shea Act" as a stand alone bill, but nobody and I mean nobody is going to stand up in the United States Senate and say "These mothers of sons/daughters who diedly heroically in combat don't deserve to be buried with their family." Especially since they are already allowed to seek exceptions, but only after death.

SEC. 303. INTERMENT IN NATIONAL CEMETERIES OF PARENTS OF CERTAIN DECEASED VETERANS.

(a) Short Title- This section may be cited as the `Corey Shea Act'.

(b) Interment of Parents of Certain Deceased Veterans- Section 2402 is amended--

(1) In the matter preceding paragraph (1), by striking `Under such regulations' and inserting `(a) Under such regulations';

(2) by moving the margins of paragraphs (1) through (8) two ems to the right;

(3) by inserting after paragraph (8) the following new paragraph:

`(9)(A) The parent of a person described in subparagraph (B), if the Secretary determines that there is available space at the gravesite where the person described in subparagraph (B) is interred.

`(B) A person described in this subparagraph is a person described in paragraph (1) who--

`(i) is a hostile casualty or died from a training-related injury;

`(ii) is interred in a national cemetery; and

`(iii) at the time of the person's parent's death, did not have a spouse, surviving spouse, or child who is buried or who, upon death, may be eligible for burial in a national cemetery pursuant to paragraph (5).'; and

(4) by adding at the end the following new subsection:

`(b) For purposes of subsection (a)(9) of this section:

`(1) The term `parent' means a biological father or a biological mother or, in the case of adoption, a father through adoption or a mother through adoption.

`(2) The term `hostile casualty' means a person who, as a member of the Armed Forces, dies as the direct result of hostile action with the enemy, while in combat, while going to or returning from a combat mission if the cause of death was directly related to hostile action, or while hospitalized or undergoing treatment at the expense of the United States for injury incurred during combat, and includes a person killed mistakenly or accidentally by friendly fire directed at a hostile force or what is thought to be a hostile force, but does not include a person who dies due to the elements, a self-inflicted wound, combat fatigue, or a friendly force while the person was in an absent-without-leave, deserter, or dropped-from-rolls status or was voluntarily absent from a place of duty.

`(3) The term `training-related injury' means an injury incurred by a member of the Armed Forces while performing authorized training activities in preparation for a combat mission.'.

(c) Guidance Required- The Secretary of Veterans Affairs, in consultation with the Secretary of Defense, shall develop guidance under which the parent of a person described in paragraph (9)(B) of subsection (a) of section 2402 of title 38, United States Code, may be designated for interment in a national cemetery under that section.

(d) Conforming Amendments-

(1) CROSS-REFERENCE CORRECTION- Section 107 is amended by striking `section 2402(8)' both places it appears and inserting `section 2402(a)(8)'.

(2) CROSS-REFERENCE CORRECTION- Section 2301(e) is amended by striking `section 2402(6)' and inserting `section 2402(a)(6)'.

(3) CROSS-REFERENCE CORRECTION- Section 2306(a) is amended--

(A) in paragraph (2), by striking `section 2402(4)' and inserting `section 2402(a)(4)'; and

(B) in paragraph (4), by striking `section 2402(5)' and inserting `section 2402(a)(5)'.

(e) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall apply with respect to the death, on or after the date of the enactment of this Act, of the parent of a person described in section 2402(a)(9)(B) of title 38, United States Code, as added by subsection (a), who dies on or after October 7, 2001.

StoopTroup
12/29/2009, 11:52 AM
Someone needs to explain that he's not down there anymore I think.

Pricetag
12/29/2009, 11:59 AM
Yep. I don't get why anyone is buried anymore.

yermom
12/29/2009, 12:04 PM
The Veterans Affairs Department grants waivers and has approved four similar requests from dead soldiers' parents since 2005.

Anderson also sought a waiver. But under the VA's policy, she has to die first to get one, a limbo that Anderson finds tough to live with.

she should just file the waiver after she dies

btk108
12/29/2009, 08:10 PM
Vet....most of the National cemeteries are burying married couples two deep now because of space limitations. But you can't request top or bottom.....first one to go gets the bottom.

olevetonahill
12/29/2009, 08:18 PM
Vet....most of the National cemeteries are burying married couples two deep now because of space limitations. But you can't request top or bottom.....first one to go gets the bottom.

Maybe Im just different . I can see a Married couple But Yer MOMMA , Thats weird to me.

olevetonahill
12/29/2009, 08:19 PM
Like Cindy Shehan Weird :eek:

Scott D
12/29/2009, 08:37 PM
vet's just joshing all of you. He plans on being buried on top of the still when he goes.

olevetonahill
12/29/2009, 08:49 PM
vet's just joshing all of you. He plans on being buried on top of the still when he goes.

Ya got that bacerds

The Still be on top with the Worm right in My Mouth :cool:

Soonerfan88
12/30/2009, 12:03 AM
What irritates me the most is the media making the VA/military out to be such bad guys. Most articles don't even mention that it is a waiver-able request and has been granted many times. Why does she have to be such a drama queen and demand approval now? Why can't she just make a living will requesting the waiver upon her death and follow procedure like everyone else? I also think if it was so important to her, she should have purchased two plots in a public cemetery so they could be together forever.

AMVETS is opposing this because they see it as a slippery slope in expanding long established beneficiary structures. I sympathize with those who have lost their children but also see the point of the VA and AMVETS.