PDA

View Full Version : (Mark) Mangino, (Chuck) Long set financially

King Barry's Back
12/29/2009, 04:06 AM
Not much new info on Mangino, but I had no idea that Chuck Long has been involved in such a drawn out drama.

From: http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/dec/19/mangino-long-set-financially/

NOTE: According to a sidebar, former Sooner asst Darrell Wyatt is in the running to join the new KU staff.

December 19, 2009
Mangino, Long set financially, by Chuck Woodling

Call this “A Tale of Two Settlements.”

Unlike the Dickens novel “A Tale of Two Cities,” however, there are no worst of times, only best of times.

As you know, Kansas Athletics Inc. has agreed to play former football coach Mark Mangino a lump sum of $3 million on or before Thursday. I think you must agree that any seven-figure payout is considerably better at Christmas than a lump of coal.

It’s unlikely Lew Perkins wrote a check for the $3 million from his personal bank account, and you have to suspect the Kansas University Endowment Association is involved somehow.

But at least the KU-Mangino divorce is final. Not all schisms end that quickly or emphatically.

Take Chuck Long, for example. Long, new KU coach Turner Gill’s offensive coordinator, was involved in a much different scenario when he was fired as San Diego State’s head coach in 2008.

Long’s settlement, in fact, wasn’t completed until last month. When the Aztecs dumped him after three seasons, Long had two years remaining on his contract. In round figures, they owed him $1.4 million.

Long’s original pact, unlike Mangino’s, contained a clause stipulating that if he was terminated he had to be re-assigned within the athletic department. Thus the former standout quarterback at Iowa University spent practically all of this year doing “special projects” and analyzing how the Aztecs’ football program could be improved.

For that busy work, he was paid $715,000, or a heckuva lot more than your average think-tanker. Also, according to Long’s pact, if he left for another job, he wouldn’t be paid a nickel.

So why in the world would Long leave San Diego State for KU when he could sit around during 2010 pushing papers and collecting another $715,000?

Well, obviously, he had had enough of that Mickey Mouse work and wanted to return to coaching. Obviously, though, Long would have been nuts to forfeit the 700 grand, so lawyers and agents went to work and hammered out a revised deal in November that was more favorable to his departure.

For whatever reason — were they embarrassed to have him still hanging around? — San Diego State condescended to pay Long if he left. However, it was stipulated that what they owed him would be subtracted from his compensation at a new post.

If we are to assume Long will be paid in the $300,000 range at Kansas — predecessor Ed Warinner earned 306 grand — then San Diego State will have to pony up about $400,000.

So at $715,000 a year, even if it is coming from two sources, Long probably will be the highest-paid offensive coordinator in America. Unless Texas breaks the bank for its top aides as the Longhorns did when they made head coach Mack Brown into the Five-Million Dollar Man.

Will Mangino return to coaching eventually? Probably. But after eight years as a head coach, it may be difficult for him to step into an assistant’s role again.

On the flip side, Long and new KU defensive coordinator Carl Torbush were both head coaches at one time and became aides again, so who knows what Mangino will do?

Crucifax Autumn
12/29/2009, 05:03 AM
If I was Long, all those "improvements" I was being paid to come up with woulda been sabotage.

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2009, 05:50 AM
It’s unlikely Lew Perkins wrote a check for the $3 million from his personal bank account, and you have to suspect the Kansas University Endowment Association is involved somehow

What a terrible waste of money. $3 million to pay someone for doing nothing. Well, I guess no new additions to the library are forthcoming any time soon.

King Barry's Back
12/29/2009, 07:18 AM
What a terrible waste of money. $3 million to pay someone for doing nothing. Well, I guess no new additions to the library are forthcoming any time soon.

Leroy, surely you know that money for library expansion and money to buy off troublesome football coaches comes from different accounts? Are we goind to debate in ANOTHER thread? :P

And do you sit up all night, or what?

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2009, 07:44 AM
Not if it comes from the Kansas University Endowment Association. They don't operate like a federal title program, so they don't have (at least to my knowledge) separate accounts for athletics. If they manage to get the Endowment to pony up $3 million for Mangino, then that is $3 million they can't dredge up for anything else.

There is no free money.

As for your other question, I sleep only about four hours a day. Currently I am compiling computer code, and the programs take about an hour to compile after each modification.

King Barry's Back
12/29/2009, 08:42 AM
As for your other question, I sleep only about four hours a day. Currently I am compiling computer code, and the programs take about an hour to compile after each modification.

Aha! That explains it. I usually get a jump on people cuz I'm seven hours ahead here in Germany. You are just taking me to town round the clock.

I'm getting tired having to justify every opinion that comes out of my mouth.

Sheesh. If you can't spew unsubstantiated BS on a football board, where can you spew it? That's the place I need to go.

On the plus side, though, my post count is way up over the past 12 hours. SO that's good.

sooneredaco
12/29/2009, 08:45 AM

Your right, but just think of all the money they will save in the cafeteria now!

stoops the eternal pimp
12/29/2009, 09:34 AM
Darrell Wyatt was a darn good WR coach for OU

MiccoMacey
12/29/2009, 09:50 AM
Sheesh. If you can't spew unsubstantiated BS on a football board, where can you spew it? That's the place I need to go .

This is THE place to spew unsubstantiated BS. However, in order to keep in line with the general populace, it must also be unfounded and not well thought out.

:)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/29/2009, 09:51 AM
Darrell Wyatt was a darn good WR coach for OU

a real disciplinarian as well

MiccoMacey
12/29/2009, 10:03 AM
Sarcasm? Or for real?

Dan Thompson
12/29/2009, 11:12 AM
LeRoy needs a faster complier and or a faster computer.

SoonerLB
12/29/2009, 12:44 PM
The only thing that makes any sense in this is that someone paid Chuck Long to go away. Just sayin' .....

TJKDone
12/29/2009, 01:11 PM
Neither one will ever be HC's again, IMO. Just as well. They were both very good/great position coaches and coordinators.

Hook'em

Jacie
12/29/2009, 01:25 PM
Well, a million dollars doesn't buy what it used to . . . not that I'd know.

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2009, 01:52 PM
LeRoy needs a faster complier and or a faster computer.

Well, I could use a faster computer, but I don't think you realize the size of the computer codes I compile.