PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Ivan Maisel

spatton713
12/28/2009, 05:28 PM
By Ivan Maisel

Urban Meyer went to Florida’s Sugar Bowl practice Sunday and had a change of heart? What happened to his health? What happened to his daughter hugging him because she had her daddy back? I don’t mean to second-guess his decision to switch from a resignation to a leave of absence. But a “spirited practice” made all of those personal and family concerns secondary? I just don’t believe this story is over yet.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/tag/_/name/3-point-stance

gonna have to agree on this one something aint right?? thoughts?

Collier11
12/28/2009, 05:38 PM
yep, sounds fudged up to me

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2009, 05:44 PM
If Urban Meyer thinks that a leave of absence is sufficient to take care of his health problems, then that is his decision. We can't second-guess it because we don't know the severity of his problems, which are none of our business in the first place.

Maybe he didn't handle it very well publicly, but whatever.

SoonerLB
12/28/2009, 06:07 PM
This whole thing was a plot to take the spotlight off of Petey Saturday night and sign some sympathy recruits from CA. Mark my words! ;)

Bourbon St Sooner
12/28/2009, 06:15 PM
Attention ploy. Like a 2 year old kid. He just couldn't stand not being the object of attention during bowl season this year.

I think Fla deserves this *********.

sooneredaco
12/28/2009, 07:04 PM
If Urban Meyer thinks that a leave of absence is sufficient to take care of his health problems, then that is his decision. We can't second-guess it because we don't know the severity of his problems, which are none of our business in the first place.

Maybe he didn't handle it very well publicly, but whatever.

When sombody goes public to every major sports media outlet with an announcement, they make it the business of that sports fans. Thus the reason I say we can second guess it. Let me add IMO to that.

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2009, 07:19 PM
When sombody goes public to every major sports media outlet with an announcement, they make it the business of that sports fans.

We have no stake in the matter except to satisfy our own curiosity. That doesn't make his health our business.

Urban said he was resigning on account of health. For whatever reasons, he has changed his mind and wants to give it a rest for a year. Okay, that's good enough for me.

We don't have to turn into Oprah fans to enjoy football.

SoonerBacker
12/28/2009, 07:21 PM
Maybe Tebow laid hands on Urban and healed him of his health problems?

colinreturn
12/28/2009, 07:31 PM

*beatingadeadhorse.jpg*

TXBOOMER
12/28/2009, 07:36 PM

Tebow laid Urban? Oh hands on. My bad. :D

sooner ngintunr
12/28/2009, 07:54 PM
Urban said he was resigning on account of health. For whatever reasons, he has changed his mind and wants to give it a rest for a year. Okay, that's good enough for me.

He's not taking a year off, he's coaching the team in their next game.

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2009, 08:21 PM
He's not taking a year off, he's coaching the team in their next game.

Minor nit.

AlbqSooner
12/28/2009, 08:38 PM
Do you even know what a nit is?

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2009, 08:46 PM
Well, I wasn't calling you a nitwit, if that is what concerns you.

Okay, how about this?

The fact that he is coaching one more game is of little consequence.

Indy Sooner
12/28/2009, 09:00 PM
He's headed to the NFL. Nothing to see here...the guy's been an opportunistic egomaniac for years.

AlbqSooner
12/28/2009, 09:02 PM
A nit is a head lice larva. Just wanted to make the point that you don't know WTF you are talking about.

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2009, 09:15 PM
Just wanted to make the point that you don't know WTF you are talking about.

Google "minor nit" and you will see the term used all over the place to describe something barely worth mentioning. It's slang.

For example: http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-10878-0.html?forumID=10&threadID=93133&messageID=598793

Of course, the page I linked refers to them thar computers, which is probably why you are unfamiliar with the term.

Dumbass.

AlbqSooner
12/28/2009, 09:35 PM
Ahhhh reverting to name calling. I seem to recall one Leroy Lizard castigating other posters for reverting to name calling. Must have been a different Leroy Lizard.

Lasagna
12/28/2009, 09:42 PM
Has anyone really never heard of the term nit-picking? Good lord. But about maisel, the biggest joke out of that column was that he tried to make USC's official aided victory over BC out to be a big deal.

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2009, 09:42 PM
Sorry, but you deserved it. You're the one that wrote:

Just wanted to make the point that you don't know WTF you are talking about.

So you fired off the first insult. Next time, be more careful and this won't happen to you.

AlbqSooner
12/28/2009, 09:46 PM
Fari enough, but you are the one who effectively told another poster that reverting to name calling indicated an inability to formulate a reasoned response.

sooner ngintunr
12/28/2009, 09:51 PM
Well he's not taking a year off if he's coaching the next game.

He never even said that he's taking a year off, but I'm just nit-picking right?:rolleyes:

So now you're putting words in Urbans mouth but everyone else are the Oprah fans?

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2009, 10:02 PM
Fari enough, but you are the one who effectively told another poster that reverting to name calling indicated an inability to formulate a reasoned response.

Context, please?

Well he's not taking a year off if he's coaching the next game.

Well, if he said that his leave was effective immediately, then that would be a contradiction. I don't think he said that.

He never even said that he's taking a year off, but I'm just nit-picking right

Try the following on for size.

NEW ORLEANS -- Florida coach Urban Meyer changed his mind Sunday and said he was taking an indefinite leave of absence instead of resigning. Despite ongoing concerns with his health, he expects to be on the sideline leading the Gators when next season opens.

"I do in my gut believe that will happen," he said Sunday at an Allstate Sugar Bowl news conference.

It is hardly a stretch to conclude that he is taking a year's leave of absence since he said he expects to be coaching the following year.

AlbqSooner
12/28/2009, 10:08 PM
Next season opens in approximately nine months. A year has twelve months.

Hella Sideburns
12/29/2009, 01:31 AM
Next season opens in approximately nine months. A year has twelve months.

holy **** you are stupid

olevetonahill
12/29/2009, 04:04 AM
holy **** you are stupid

And you Must be a Mods troll to still be around after all the Name calling and wishing Death that you have done :rolleyes:

Crucifax Autumn
12/29/2009, 05:10 AM
I don't think he's a mod troll. I think they let him stick around for the same reason the office dork never gets fired. The same reason gossip shows pay attention to Britney and Paris. It's human nature to want to witness train wrecks.

Hell, it's funny that this is happening in a thread named after a sportswriter. Those guys still have jobs for the very same reason.

sooner ngintunr
12/29/2009, 11:26 AM
Well, if he said that his leave was effective immediately, then that would be a contradiction. I don't think he said that.

Try the following on for size.

It is hardly a stretch to conclude that he is taking a year's leave of absence since he said he expects to be coaching the following year.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/gators/2009/12/florida-coach-urban-meyer-is-resigning-following-the-jan-1-sugar-bowl.html

It wasn't effective immediately. It was originally suppossed to take effect after Jan 1.

If he's going to be coaching next year then he's not taking a year's leave of absence.

Taking a year's leave of absence would actually mean taking a year off from coaching. right? Well he plans on coaching next year, and if he does, that definitely means he's not taking a year off.:rolleyes:

beer4me
12/29/2009, 11:41 AM
http://blogs.tampabay.com/gators/2009/12/florida-coach-urban-meyer-is-resigning-following-the-jan-1-sugar-bowl.html

It wasn't effective immediately. It was originally suppossed to take effect after Jan 1.

If he's going to be coaching next year then he's not taking a year's leave of absence. Your last sentence makes no sense at all.

Taking a year's leave of absence would actually mean taking a year off from coaching. right? Well he plans on coaching next year, and if he does, that definitely means he's not taking a year off.:rolleyes:

Don't be niting :D :D

beer4me
12/29/2009, 12:02 PM
Google "minor nit" and you will see the term used all over the place to describe something barely worth mentioning. It's slang.

For example: http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-10878-0.html?forumID=10&threadID=93133&messageID=598793

Of course, the page I linked refers to them thar computers, which is probably why you are unfamiliar with the term.

Dumbass.

That would be because "minor nit" is used almost exclusively in the computer field and even there fairly rare.

The term you should have used is "nit-pick" which refers to the fine comb used to comb out nits from the hair. Which as has been pointed out to you refers to lice you know a parasite, something you should be familiar with.

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2009, 02:20 PM
That would be because "minor nit" is used almost exclusively in the computer field and even there fairly rare.

So? Before commenting on someone's use of a term, just do a quick Google search to see how it is used. This is far better than just assume that, because YOU have never heard it, it must be incorrect.

Or, I have a better suggestion: Why bother worrying about it in the first place?

BTW, it is NOT rare in the computer field. Do a Google search.

olevetonahill
12/29/2009, 02:25 PM
Some posters are Like Flys
They eat **** and bother Me .:eek:

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2009, 02:51 PM
Olevet capitalized "like" and "flys." Albqsooner, you should go on a massive rant about proper language conventions. Beer4me, you can provide backup in case Olevet objects.

beer4me
12/29/2009, 03:05 PM
Olevet capitalized "like" and "flys." Albqsooner, you should go on a massive rant about proper language conventions. Beer4me, you can provide backup in case Olevet objects.

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sad/sad0144.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

Collier11
12/29/2009, 03:07 PM
Vet would also capitalize the YOU in F**K YOU and SH*T in I DONT GIVE A SH*T

SoonerShark
12/29/2009, 03:16 PM

Or agreed to marry his young daughter.

fossil
12/29/2009, 04:56 PM
We have no stake in the matter except to satisfy our own curiosity. That doesn't make his health our business.

:rolleyes: Lizard man, the word 'indefinite', if you look up the definition, says nothing about a YEAR. Indefinite can be forever. If the leave of absence was for a YEAR, it wouldn't be indefinite.

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2009, 05:05 PM
You need to read some of the comments posted earlier.

C&CDean
12/29/2009, 05:16 PM
LL,

Just a friendly FYI: You're pushing it real hard. Consider yourself forwarned...

the_ouskull
12/29/2009, 06:06 PM
Yeah. If anybody around here is going to be an *sshole that should have been banned years ago, it's going to be me.

As for the thread, I'd think that the person who asked what nits were and the person who thankfully pointed out that a football season actually does not last an entire calendar year is the one doing the nit-picking. If you'd like, I could follow you around the board for a while and comment on all of the differences between your denotation and connotation, too. That'd be really super-clever, right?

Maybe you two b*tches should stop this public slap fight and go get a honeymoon suite somewhere. Right now, this thread is about as useful as a limp d*ck at an orgy.

And, for the Mensas who have yet to reach the only logical conclusion in all of this, whoever will be taking over for My-Bologna-Has-A-First-Name at Florida probably whispered in his ear to leave open the possibility of his return in the event that some recruits were/are swayed at the news of his departure. Urban's a "team guy." He doesn't want to hurt the program, so he says, very publicly, "Yes, I'll be around the program still and stuff, so please still sign here."

We don't need Colombo. We don't need Dr. Holmes. The case has been cracked. We can now all return to our regularly scheduled slap-fights and flame wars. Call me when one of you is ready to quit throwing in AAA and wants to step up to the majors.

the_ouskull

Post Script -- For the record, LL's right on the whole "nit" thing, even though I tried to move past it. It's not an uncommon term at all.

AlbqSooner
12/29/2009, 07:51 PM
Ya gotta understand skull. Leroy is just too easy to F**k with and get a response to pass it up.

I have been nit picking. He bites every time though so I find it hard to back off.

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2009, 08:05 PM
So AlbqSooner comes in once more to stir it up.

And C&CDean throws the yellow flag at ME.

AlbqSooner
12/29/2009, 08:33 PM
It just ain't fair.
Fair is where ya take yer pigs in September.

Collier11
12/29/2009, 09:22 PM
well I have witnessed you throwing out a lot of name calling lately, most of it unprovoked so maybe you should cool your tongue LL

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2009, 09:37 PM
And now Collier jumps in to crank it up once again.

Where's olevet?

Collier11
12/29/2009, 09:38 PM
You asked why you got the yellow card, dont ask questions if you dont want answers

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2009, 09:58 PM
And C&CDean throws the yellow flag at ME.

I don't see a question there.

I suggest let's ALL give it a rest. Good idea?

Collier11
12/29/2009, 10:03 PM
you worded it as if you were asking a question, now you have the answer

sooner ngintunr
12/29/2009, 10:22 PM
I don't see a question there.

Thats because you forgot the question mark.:P

the_ouskull
12/30/2009, 05:25 AM
Thats because you forgot the question mark.:P

See, you've got it. THAT is what ticks me off. Motherlovers on here with no capitalization, no punctuation, rampant misspellings, and incorrect usage will be the first person who, when they've exhausted every other argument, resort to grammar smack.

I don't see why people willingly type "ur" instead of "your." I don't know why "because" has become "cuz." I mean, I DO know why; it's "cuz" everybody is getting dumber and dumber, and, rather than own it, they're trying to pass it off as aloofness, or saying some stupid sh*t like, "that's how I text."

Great. Now you're an idiot on multiple platforms. Care to open your mouth and shoot for the trifecta?

I really hate people sometimes. I'd rather come across as pompous; a bit arrogant, even... than as a f*cking idiot who, even though they either can't (ignorance) or don't (apathy) speak English correctly, are still some of the first people to make fun of or criticize foreigners who are only a year or two into learning the language, and, grammatically, already ahead of the native speakers. "Ha, ha, you is talkin' funny. Stupid person from somewhere else. Speak American!"

My soul cries a lot when the subject of education comes up... Sorry.

the_ouskull

AlbqSooner
12/30/2009, 07:52 AM
While your point is well taken in many instances, sometimes people revert to inappropriate spelling or grammar to reflect a dialect. If the poster has posted only once or twice, it may not be possible to determine whether it is through ignorance or carefully constructed dialectical affectation. While I understand your frustation with the dumbing down of America, it may lead you to painting with too broad a brush.

Kno wut I mean?

C&CDean
12/30/2009, 09:35 AM
dOLe5o wood sO dISs aGReE.

sozo
12/30/2009, 09:36 AM
Kelly said, “I do. The only place we want to be is game day and on the practice field. When I heard it, I understand 100 percent. All of the other stuff you gotta do? That ain’t a lot of fun. The best time I have is in practice or in the game.”

Bet his family will be glad to hear that line!

TexasLidig8r
12/30/2009, 09:37 AM
I leave for awhile and look what this board comes to...

sooner cannibalization.

Sad really.

:D

beer4me
12/30/2009, 09:40 AM
I leave for awhile and look what this board comes to...

sooner cannibalization.

Sad really.

:D

Entertaining nonetheless, at least from your point of view huh;)

theresonly1OU
12/30/2009, 10:30 AM
Call me when one of you is ready to quit throwing in AAA and wants to step up to the majors.

FYI: Being the self-proclaimed "message board badass" is about as impressive as being the best Magic card player in middle school.

Next thing you know, you'll be quoting other people's comments about you in your signat......

....nevermind.

Collier11
12/30/2009, 10:35 AM
While your point is well taken in many instances, sometimes people revert to inappropriate spelling or grammar to reflect a dialect. If the poster has posted only once or twice, it may not be possible to determine whether it is through ignorance or carefully constructed dialectical affectation. While I understand your frustation with the dumbing down of America, it may lead you to painting with too broad a brush.

Kno wut I mean?

I would suggest that there is a tough argument to be had when you are arguing about the dumbing down of America while on a message board. 1st, very few people take a message board that seriously, therefore slang and different dialects are common place. Second, acting as if you are inherently smarter than someone on a message board proves little because you have no way to actually know. Its like all the people who make comments about people with high post counts being some fat, out of shape 40 year old who sits behind a computer in his moms basement.

It all just smells of desperate

olevetonahill
12/30/2009, 10:46 AM
I would suggest that there is a tough argument to be had when you are arguing about the dumbing down of America while on a message board. 1st, very few people take a message board that seriously, therefore slang and different dialects are common place. Second, acting as if you are inherently smarter than someone on a message board proves little because you have no way to actually know. Its like all the people who make comments about people with high post counts being some fat, out of shape 40 year old who sits behind a computer in his moms basement.

IM 59 and My Mommas Dead
Get yer facts straight :P

Collier11
12/30/2009, 10:52 AM
idjit

theresonly1OU
12/30/2009, 11:05 AM
IM 59 and My Mommas Dead
Get yer facts straight :P

(psst..don't forget to tell them about the cheetoh stains on your fingers).

the_ouskull
12/30/2009, 06:18 PM
While your point is well taken in many instances, sometimes people revert to inappropriate spelling or grammar to reflect a dialect. If the poster has posted only once or twice, it may not be possible to determine whether it is through ignorance or carefully constructed dialectical affectation. While I understand your frustation (sic) with the dumbing down of America, it may lead you to painting with too broad a brush.

I will very, very rarely "pick on a noob," as the kids like to say, for ridiculously poor grammar or spelling, but I also don't see post counts as being a legitimate excuse for the aforementioned ignorance or apathy. What, because somebody is new, they get a "'tard pass?" No. Welcome to life. If you're grownsed-up enough to post on a message board, you are grownsed-up enough to both hear, and cope with, the consequences of doing so. And, considering I've used:

- noob,
- 'tard, and
- grownsed-up (from Swingers) in place of "grown up"

..in this post, it is not at all impossible to use slang, or what you may call (correctly; it's not an insult, just attribution) "dialectical affectation," and still come across as a well-spoken, educated, and, most importantly, intelligent, person; someone who cares about what people think about them in terms of their intelligence.

See, I can handle people who are uneducated. Some people simply are. I have (had, rather) relatives on my dad's side of the family, mostly, who were never educated past grade school; middle school... and they are some of the kindest, sweetest people I have ever met. The absolute definition of "salt of the Earth." But, as for what I respect the most about them? The fact that, had they been given the opportunity to continue their educations, they would have done so, and excelled. They would not have complained as many secondary students nowadays do. They would not squandered the opportunity to better themselves, and, upon doing so, take advantage of what they had learned. They are uneducated, but not ignorant; not unintelligent... and, most importantly, they are not lazy-*sses who try to justify their own ignorance, apathy, and grammatical failings with excuses like, "nobody takes message boards seriously." Or, the ever-popular, "it's just a text message."

How often, in your day-to-day, do you write an academic paper? How often do you post on a message board? How often do you write for yourself; poetry, a blog... something? Compare that to how many text messages you send in a week.

When the majority of an individual's writing is poor writing, then, no matter what they THINK they know about writing, they are not practicing it, and they are not practicing it correctly, and it WILL go away. If you are right-handed, you don't practice 85% of your free-throws with your left hand and then expect your right-handed percentage to improve, do you? If you are trying to learn Spanish, you don't do it by speaking English, you do it by speaking Spanish.

So, why do so many people think that there is nothing harmful to "text-speak?" I teach these kids. I see "ur" in place of "your" in a MAJORITY of papers, not a few papers. (At least, I do at the beginning of the year...) I see high school seniors who not only do not know, but who also do not seem to care about the difference between "your" and "you're." There's "to" and "too." (Not to mention "two.") There are so many more that they are painful to mention... but it all boils back down to accountability. You can say "it's just a text message" all you want, but it's not. It's just a text message THEN. But, when they get to school the next morning, it will be a paper they try to write in five minutes because the culture of excuses which surrounds them makes them think that they will receive no negative consequences for their actions.

I can handle people who are uneducated. What I cannot handle is ignorance and apathy. I don't know, and I don't care. It's THAT attitude that is being nurtured by our sue-happy culture, because it's okay for kids to express their feelings and it's NOT okay for them to be punished for doing so, even if "expressing their feelings" means cussing out their teacher, and/or disrupting class on a semi-daily basis. The punishments that end, or at least curb, the worst student behaviors have been taken away from the schools. Without a bite, nobody is being forced to care about what the school teachers are barking about. The culture of excuses wins over the culture of hard work. F*cking awesome...

Oh, and excuses don't? Anybody that ever wants to know whether or not I am an out-of-shape 40 year-old needs only to ask. (I am.) And, what REALLY irks me is when people think that I'm acting like I'm better than them for pointing out something the THEY are doing wrong. If I was walking down the street and you were peeing on the sidewalk, and I asked you to stop, would you think that I think that I'm better than you? The only difference is the location of the ****. In the latter example, it's on the sidewalk. In the former, it's in my gene pool; it's on my language. English is the language of this country, yet so many people who are, or act, so patriotically about our country know so little about it, and speak it's native language so poorly.

That also comes back to the "culture of excuses" thing; the "I'll-sue-you-if-I-don't-get-my-way" thing...

And to me, THAT is what smells of desperate.

As for me, personally, I'm up for meeting anyone. I may not remember it, as Dean has mentioned a few people to me that he's introduced me to at tailgates that I do not recall... but I'm down to meet people. If you're wondering (or care, I can't imagine why anybody would) I'm this way in real life, too. I'm not the "hide-behind-the-internet" type. I don't give a sh*t about ME is why. I want people to be better 1) for themselves, and 2) to make my world; the world around me, a better place; a happier, more cultured place. A place where websites are devoted to people like Abe Lemons instead of Paris Hilton. A place where Red Foreman gives child-rearing lessons on weekends. A happy place. A place, dare I say, free of dumb*ss. :D

the_ouskull

olevetonahill
12/30/2009, 06:21 PM
^ **** off dip ****

the_ouskull
12/30/2009, 06:35 PM
FYI: Being the self-proclaimed "message board bad *ss" is about as impressive as being the best Magic card player in middle school.

Next thing you know, you'll be quoting other people's comments about you in your signat......

....nevermind.

I said when you're read...

...nevermind.

Do you see? Do you see how I did that? Pretty f'in' lame, eh?

---

You ever GO to a tailgate? I'm about as believable as a "bad*ss" as Shia LaBouf was in the new Indiana Jones movie that never happened.

But, that's not even relevant to the argument...

Do MOST lawyers look like bad *sses? No, they don't. But what they do fairly well is research, and argue. Do I think I'm a ride-a-Harley, roll-my-sleeves-up-and-sneer-at-old-people, smoke-unfiltereds, and rob-liquor-stores kind of bad *ss, like you are implying? No, I don't. But I do think that I'm smart, and that I argue well, and in a pretty entertaining manner to boot...

(to myself, if not others, which is the purpose of my time on this board)

...something that the people in question in this thread, and yourself, do, or at least DID, not do.

So, welcome to it.

the_ouskull

Collier11
12/30/2009, 09:16 PM
I will very, very rarely "pick on a noob," as the kids like to say, for ridiculously poor grammar or spelling, but I also don't see post counts as being a legitimate excuse for the aforementioned ignorance or apathy. What, because somebody is new, they get a "'tard pass?" No. Welcome to life. If you're grownsed-up enough to post on a message board, you are grownsed-up enough to both hear, and cope with, the consequences of doing so. And, considering I've used:

- noob,
- 'tard, and
- grownsed-up (from Swingers) in place of "grown up"

..in this post, it is not at all impossible to use slang, or what you may call (correctly; it's not an insult, just attribution) "dialectical affectation," and still come across as a well-spoken, educated, and, most importantly, intelligent, person; someone who cares about what people think about them in terms of their intelligence.

The difference is that most of us arent here to impress or to prove how smart we are and dont really care if you try and prove how smart you are. We didnt ask for your insight into our spelling, grammar, etc. I have a college education, I am a smart person, I dont need anyone to question me on that nor did I ask. Am I saying having a college education makes me smarter than someone who doesnt, not at all but it also doesnt make me dumber than someone who uses proper grammar on a message board. That may be important to you but it isnt to most everyone else. That is why your attacking others on grammar comes off as desperate

See, I can handle people who are uneducated. Some people simply are. I have (had, rather) relatives on my dad's side of the family, mostly, who were never educated past grade school; middle school... and they are some of the kindest, sweetest people I have ever met. The absolute definition of "salt of the Earth." But, as for what I respect the most about them? The fact that, had they been given the opportunity to continue their educations, they would have done so, and excelled. They would not have complained as many secondary students nowadays do. They would not squandered the opportunity to better themselves, and, upon doing so, take advantage of what they had learned. They are uneducated, but not ignorant; not unintelligent... and, most importantly, they are not lazy-*sses who try to justify their own ignorance, apathy, and grammatical failings with excuses like, "nobody takes message boards seriously." Or, the ever-popular, "it's just a text message."

and at the end of the day, whether someone says arent or aint or n00b or lol or whatever, it really doesnt fu**ing matter. Its not going to affect anyone or anything in regards to my life or yours.

How often, in your day-to-day, do you write an academic paper? How often do you post on a message board? How often do you write for yourself; poetry, a blog... something? Compare that to how many text messages you send in a week.

I wrote my fair share of academic papers in my life as I was an English major for a good period. I know how to write and write well, doesnt mean I am going to go and attempt to get my text msgs or my msg board posts published to prove what I have learned

When the majority of an individual's writing is poor writing, then, no matter what they THINK they know about writing, they are not practicing it, and they are not practicing it correctly, and it WILL go away. If you are right-handed, you don't practice 85% of your free-throws with your left hand and then expect your right-handed percentage to improve, do you? If you are trying to learn Spanish, you don't do it by speaking English, you do it by speaking Spanish.

So, why do so many people think that there is nothing harmful to "text-speak?" I teach these kids. I see "ur" in place of "your" in a MAJORITY of papers, not a few papers. (At least, I do at the beginning of the year...) I see high school seniors who not only do not know, but who also do not seem to care about the difference between "your" and "you're." There's "to" and "too." (Not to mention "two.")

Not knowing the diff between those type words and how to use them has nothing to do with msg boards or txt messages, it has to do with teaching and learning. I am not here to teach or to learn

There are so many more that they are painful to mention... but it all boils back down to accountability. You can say "it's just a text message" all you want, but it's not. It's just a text message THEN. But, when they get to school the next morning, it will be a paper they try to write in five minutes because the culture of excuses which surrounds them makes them think that they will receive no negative consequences for their actions.

The only accountability that anyone has in a forum such as this is not to attack people unfairly, after that I have no responsibility to anyone on here.

I can handle people who are uneducated. What I cannot handle is ignorance and apathy. I don't know, and I don't care. It's THAT attitude that is being nurtured by our sue-happy culture, because it's okay for kids to express their feelings and it's NOT okay for them to be punished for doing so, even if "expressing their feelings" means cussing out their teacher, and/or disrupting class on a semi-daily basis. The punishments that end, or at least curb, the worst student behaviors have been taken away from the schools. Without a bite, nobody is being forced to care about what the school teachers are barking about. The culture of excuses wins over the culture of hard work. F*cking awesome...

Oh, and excuses don't? Anybody that ever wants to know whether or not I am an out-of-shape 40 year-old needs only to ask. (I am.)

So isnt that the same apathy towards your body that you are talking about in regards to your grammar? It is commonly known that to live the best quality of life, you take care of yourself. What is the difference between what you get so annoyed about and the way you treat your body?

And, what REALLY irks me is when people think that I'm acting like I'm better than them for pointing out something the THEY are doing wrong.

Its not just that, its because you point it out when we/they dont care to hear it from you, you have no place in their life to be "correcting them" and you post on here as if you get your jollies from this board, case in point your signature quotes. If you feel like you should be able to correct people at your will then you should also be prepared to hear "I dont give a f*ck"

If I was walking down the street and you were peeing on the sidewalk, and I asked you to stop, would you think that I think that I'm better than you? No, id think I was drunk or I have no common sense, or both.

The only difference is the location of the ****. In the latter example, it's on the sidewalk. In the former, it's in my gene pool; it's on my language. English is the language of this country, yet so many people who are, or act, so patriotically about our country know so little about it, and speak it's native language so poorly.

So then you are on the side of the argument that says those who dont hold their hand over their heart during the national anthem or who say home of the Sooners are less patriotic than those who do? Same deal there...

That also comes back to the "culture of excuses" thing; the "I'll-sue-you-if-I-don't-get-my-way" thing...

And to me, THAT is what smells of desperate.

I agree

As for me, personally, I'm up for meeting anyone. I may not remember it, as Dean has mentioned a few people to me that he's introduced me to at tailgates that I do not recall... but I'm down to meet people. If you're wondering (or care, I can't imagine why anybody would) I'm this way in real life, too. I'm not the "hide-behind-the-internet" type. I don't give a sh*t about ME is why. I want people to be better 1) for themselves, and 2) to make my world; the world around me, a better place; a happier, more cultured place. A place where websites are devoted to people like Abe Lemons instead of Paris Hilton. A place where Red Foreman gives child-rearing lessons on weekends. A happy place. A place, dare I say, free of dumb*ss. :D

the_ouskull

Ive met you, you should remember cus you were sober. We had a good time and I think you are a good guy, this conversation doesnt change that. Just taking this oppurtunity to do some educating of my own :D

the_ouskull
12/31/2009, 03:39 AM
What is the difference between what you get so annoyed about and the way you treat your body?

I can change.

(And, my shape is, in large part, due to the quality of my knees, from years of working out, playing ball, etc...) Also, I may not be as "out of shape" as I let on...

So then you are on the side of the argument that says those who dont hold their hand over their heart during the national anthem or who say home of the Sooners are less patriotic than those who do?

Yes, I am. If not "less patriotic," then "more attention-whore;" more willing to make themselves, and not the honoring of our country, etc... the spectacle, to be sure.

The difference is that most of us arent here to impress or to prove how smart we are and dont really care if you try and prove how smart you are. We didnt ask for your insight into our spelling, grammar, etc.

Nor am I. I don't give a sh*t if a grown-*ssed adult wants to look like a moron... but when they do it in a public forum, they are devaluing their education, which, in turn, rolls downhill, leading more and more impressionable minds to do the same.

My problems begin when kids who are on the fence and could still go either way, start writing academic papers like text messages because their parent and peer influences either don't care about education, or are as aloof as, well, for example, YOU are about it...

Very, very rarely will you have a parent show up with their sh*t together that doesn't value education. Even more rarely will the parents of a "D" student show up. If they're failing, it's suddenly a problem, but a "D" is good enough for TOO MANY parents. In this country, in this job market, in this economy, if we've learned anything, it's that "good enough" isn't good enough. We all have a "lost their job" story.

It isn't about proving how smart I am. (And, you'll notice that words like "impress" and "prove" are your own. You won't hear me say those things because I simply do not care. If people are impressed with my use of the language, that's super. Maybe they'll aspire to reach their own heights some day. If they are not impressed, that is also great. I'm sure I'll tell a few jokes from time to time that they won't be smart enough to get, but, as long as they're not too mouthy, it's whatever.

Just like you don't give a sh*t if I correct you, I don't give a sh*t if you get mad at me, or anybody else, for doing it. We're all posting on a public forum here, and I don't need anybody's permission to be right. I can just be right. I don't even need a sign-up sheet.

As for the latter half... I didn't ask for the cut-meat from your butchery of the language that I love to be strewn, blood-and-guts, all over this message board, but it is. Sorry for trying to pick up the ol' place a bit.

Also, you keep bringing up the word desperate, which is something that I find interesting for a vastly different reason.

If you saw the state of grammar in the majority of secondary students right now, you would understand that this situation does, in fact, contain a great deal of desperation. I AM desperate. You'll notice, also, that I rarely correct specific wrong-doings. I am more about the total package. (That's what she said...) I don't care if you forget an apostrophe... but my mind will start wondering what it was that made you forget that apostrophe; ignorance or apathy, or, perhaps, the elusive third excuse, the combination of typo/misspelled word. Regardless of how it happened, it's still wrong. Once you hit "Post Reply," it becomes your public face for the world. If YOU post it on a message board, then YOU should take responsibility for it, good or bad, no?

And everybody makes the occasional mistake, myself SO included, but when simple mistakes become habit, then it starts being easier to ignore larger and larger mistakes, until, finally, papers don't even look like they're written in English anymore. (I'll post some examples at some point...)

What is important to me isn't (necessarily) the language itself, but the culture behind why the language is being misused, and why nobody seems to care that it is... I can't fix the language, but I can spend my life attacking the culture of apathy that spawns faulty language, right?

Besides, what else I am going to do...? I don't drink anymore, really.

the_ouskull

Crucifax Autumn
12/31/2009, 03:56 AM
I agree with Skull on most of this, though I do think he takes it all a bit too far. I just see no reason to have a pointless argument about it. If the youth of America are generally morons it gives my kids a competetive edge in the future.

Mainly though, despite my agreement, I see very little purpose in being a d*ckhead about it.

the_ouskull
12/31/2009, 11:40 AM
I agree with Skull on most of this, though I do think he takes it all a bit too far. I just see no reason to have a pointless argument about it. If the youth of America are generally morons it gives my kids a competetive edge in the future.

Mainly though, despite my agreement, I see very little purpose in being a d*ckhead about it.

You are correct, on both counts.

It is a personality flaw on my behalf (albeit one to which I completely admit) that makes me somewhat revel in being a d*ckhead about things. I've spent most of my adult life trying to figure out what is wrong with me, if it makes you feel any better.

I come from a town that doesn't see a lot of hope, frankly, and sometimes tough love (as much as I hate the phrase) is what these kids need academically. It may not work on a message board, but it works in the classroom, and I don't plan on turning it off any time soon, 'cause education is more important to me than the approval of strangers.

What gets me is that people think that I act the way that I do to show off, or something. I act the way I do 'cause it's how I am, for better or (and?) worse.

But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' reaaal hard to be the shepard.

the_ouskull

Collier11
12/31/2009, 12:35 PM

I agree on the larger scale that alot of people including the school age kids are dumber because they dont care. The pointless argument is because I respect Skull and I would hope he respects me, therefore I dont mind the banter, nothing wrong with getting inside the "Skull" of Skull (horrible I know). Im just getting his view point, I am in no way attacking him though.

And for the record Skull, I am not now nor have I ever been mad at you because of your posting style. Like I said above, I was just jumping in to the discussion so I could...discuss :D

the_ouskull
12/31/2009, 12:40 PM
I..nothing wrong with getting inside the "Skull" of Skull.

I f*cking hate you. :D

the_ouskull

Collier11
12/31/2009, 12:55 PM
I knew youd like that