PDA

View Full Version : Colts' coach Jim Caldwell is an @ss

TUSooner
12/27/2009, 07:35 PM
He intentionally lost a game. It's that simple. He deliberately denied his players a chance to make history. That's unforgiveable for a coach. It's a disgrace. And if he thinks he bought a SuperBowl from the Fates, he's a fool as well. Shame on him.*

*I know it should be on Gen Sports, but nobody ever goes there. :cool:

SoonerShark
12/27/2009, 07:39 PM
Having not seen the game, could you please define for me and others who have not watched the game why you allege Colts' coach Jim Caldwell threw a game? Who? What? Where? When? Why? How?

OUinFLA
12/27/2009, 07:40 PM
You're having a "stressful" day aren't you?

are you Urban Meyers

SoonerShark
12/27/2009, 07:47 PM
I was thinking we did the same thing in the West Virginia Fiesta Bowl game and the 2008 Texas game when we did an onside kick as we were crawling back into the game against WVU and the fake punt we failed to convert against UT. If the plays would have worked, it would have been great, but why chance it when we did went through my thoughts as they happened. In both instances I cringed when I realized what we were attempting and feared the ultimate results that occurred. From the stats for today's NFL Colts-Jets game, I see the Colts had another QB in for at least 11 pass plays.

SoonerShark
12/27/2009, 07:53 PM
From ESPN:
"The previously unbeaten Colts (14-1) pulled Peyton Manning and a handful of other starters with a 15-10 lead and 5:36 left in the third quarter, and the Jets took advantage to rally for a 29-15 victory that ended the NFL's longest regular-season winning streak at 23."

I find it odd that key players in college and the lower level of football, the NFL, are left in too long nowadays. I would play Peyton only two quarters next week if I were the coach. Of course, as we know around here, key players are invulnerable. At least for us, Sam was not hurt in the fourth with a 20 point lead.

SoonerShark
12/27/2009, 07:55 PM
The only entities in the universe that should be mad at the Jets' win are the other 8-7 AFC teams.

Salt City Sooner
12/27/2009, 08:32 PM
The only entities in the universe that should be mad at the Jets' win are the other 8-7 AFC teams.
Or the guys who started Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, & Austin Collie in their fantasy championship team (that would be me :mad: ).

rawlingsHOH
12/27/2009, 08:35 PM
More drunk posting

mightysooner
12/27/2009, 08:36 PM
Really? Tony Dungy did the same thing and won a superbowl.

OU-HSV
12/27/2009, 09:09 PM
But how stupid would he have looked if he left Manning in there and the improbable actually happened and Manning broke his leg and missed the playoffs, ultimately killing their chance at winning a Super Bowl?
I'm sure that's what was on Caldwell's mind.

Scott D
12/27/2009, 09:51 PM
Winning in the playoffs >>> undefeated regular season.

Just ask the Patriots of two years ago.

BoulderSooner79
12/27/2009, 10:16 PM
I think it's hilarious - I can imagine the reaction of all the scoreboard watching fans of the other 8-7 teams. The Colts would never admit it, but I think they did it (at least partly) to elevate the Jets. Who would you rather face in the playoffs - the Jets or the Steelers? If I were the coach and had a free shot to increase the odds of the Steelers missing the playoffs, I'd take it.

I don't think the Colts' fans in attendance were pleased though.

TUSooner
12/27/2009, 10:23 PM
Winning in the playoffs >>> undefeated regular season.

Just ask the Patriots of two years ago.

C'mon. The Pats didn't lose the Splendid Bowl because a starter got hurt in a "meaningless" game. And the idea that somehow you can buy a win tomorrow by sacrificing one today is just dumb. And Bradford got hurt in game 1, should Bob have saved him 'til +exas?

If the Colts had the game in the bag, I could see taking Manning out. But this was a nip & tuck game, and there was a direct correlation between "Manning out", "Painter in", and "Jets win." Whenever a team does not play to win, the sport suffers; it cringes.

Caldwell made a lose-lose decision: If the Colts win the SB, then he'll go down as the guy who tossed away the chance at perfection. If they don't win it, then he'll have accomplished nothing by throwing a game, and he can say is a feeble , "But IF...." Gambling on a player getting hurt is as dodgy as the lottery. Caldwell will have to win at least 2 SB's to cover over this blot on his reputation. If I were a Colt player, I'd be hating his guts just now.

And by the way, my EPL fantasy team went down the tubes today as well (Who knew Fabregas would play, much less shine?!). :mad:

Saints? check
Colts? check
EPL? check
TRIFECTA!
;)

BoulderSooner79
12/27/2009, 10:30 PM
If the Colts were to be eliminated by the Steelers and if those Steelers wouldn't even make the playoffs had the Jets beat the Colts, then the coach would be kicking himself. I don't think the Colts make the SB regardless, so it's all just fodder for Pardon the Interruption for now. So I just think it's funny since it's not my team.

Scott D
12/27/2009, 10:39 PM
C'mon. The Pats didn't lose the Splendid Bowl because a starter got hurt in a "meaningless" game. And the idea that somehow you can buy a win tomorrow by sacrificing one today is just dumb. And Bradford got hurt in game 1, should Bob have saved him 'til +exas?

If the Colts had the game in the bag, I could see taking Manning out. But this was a nip & tuck game, and there was a direct correlation between "Manning out", "Painter in", and "Jets win." Whenever a team does not play to win, the sport suffers; it cringes.

Caldwell made a lose-lose decision: If the Colts win the SB, then he'll go down as the guy who tossed away the chance at perfection. If they don't win it, then he'll have accomplished nothing by throwing a game, and he can say is a feeble , "But IF...." Gambling on a player getting hurt is as dodgy as the lottery. Caldwell will have to win at least 2 SB's to cover over this blot on his reputation. If I were a Colt player, I'd be hating his guts just now.

And by the way, my EPL fantasy team went down the tubes today as well (Who knew Fabregas would play, much less shine?!). :mad:

Saints? check
Colts? check
EPL? check
TRIFECTA!
;)

so would you have made this thread a week ago if the colts had lost?

I mean since Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis stood on the sidelines except for obvious pass rushing situations (3rd and 5+) against Jacksonville?

Look at the bright side, you don't have to replace Anelka, and comfort yourself with the fact that Aaron Hughes had an 8 point week so far.

Sooner04
12/27/2009, 11:21 PM
Really? Tony Dungy did the same thing and won a superbowl.
No he didn't. The year they won the Super Bowl the Colts were involved in the Wild Card round. The years when they had homefield locked up for quite some time they went out and laid big, giant eggs in the playoffs. One loss was to the Steelers and the other was to the Chargers.

When you go out and give anything less than your best you lose my respect. Hey Colts, you suck.

VA Sooner
12/27/2009, 11:23 PM
Or the guys who started Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, & Austin Collie in their fantasy championship team (that would be me :mad: ).

Clark and Collie on my fantasy team... left with single digits points during our championship. Luckily, I've had three other players pick up the slack but it's going to be close. Should have realized it was going to happen after the interviews with Peyton and Wayne.

BoulderSooner79
12/27/2009, 11:28 PM
When you go out and give anything less than your best you lose my respect.

I'm sure Caldwell would have played it differently if he had known how you feel. It's just part of the game and it comes up every year for teams that lock up things early. The folks in the stadium that paid real money for the contest have a legit gripe.

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2009, 11:58 PM
NFL teams care about one record above all: the ledger.

How much money would the Colts be paid if they finished the regular season unbeaten? Not much. So why do it.

In the NFL, it's all about $$$$$$$.

BoulderSooner79
12/28/2009, 12:04 AM
The NFL missed out on showing fan reactions from other teams affected by the Colts game. The fans in Pittsburgh, Denver and Houston must have been cryin' in their beer and proclaiming "not fair!". The Jets fans were experiencing an extended christmas. They should have had cameras at those local sports bars.

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2009, 12:19 AM
There should be some fun message boards to view out there.

Collier11
12/28/2009, 12:58 AM
In the NFL if you want things to be fair then dont lose 7 or 8 games

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2009, 01:50 AM
Steeler fans are claiming that Colts threw the game so that they wouldn't have to face their team in the playoffs.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/28/2009, 01:51 AM
But how stupid would he have looked if he left Manning in there and the improbable actually happened and Manning broke his leg and missed the playoffs, ultimately killing their chance at winning a Super Bowl?
I'm sure that's what was on Caldwell's mind.For the colts players, if they have this outlook, it would prolly be best for them and their chances of success...although, i don't like the Colts, partially because of ODing on Peyton Manning overexposure, but mostly because of Robt. Irsay, and his FOREVER INEXCUSABLE stunt of moving the Colts out of Baltimore, in the dead of night, clandestinely. A massively :chicken: feces stunt.

BoulderSooner79
12/28/2009, 12:14 PM
Steeler fans are claiming that Colts threw the game so that they wouldn't have to face their team in the playoffs.

That's what I was thinking and I'd call that smart football. I'd rather see the Jets/Sanchez than the Steelers/Roethlisberger if I could choose and 14-0 would give me the right to choose in this case. It won't work though because the Jets will lose to Cincy and the Steelers are the luckiest team in the NFL and will get in by the most bizarre circumstances anyway.

westbrooke
12/28/2009, 12:54 PM
In the NFL if you want things to be fair then dont lose 7 or 8 games

Bingo. I'm not a big believer in the "starters need rest for the playoffs" theory, though I do understand not wanting to expose your players to unnecessary risk of injury. In either case, it's irrelevant, because the Colts earned the right to sit on their asses for the last couple of games by winning the first 14; if this is the way they want to play it, fine. The other teams shouldn't be complaining about it, they should be winning more of their games.

85sooners
12/28/2009, 01:14 PM
hope the colts lose their first game for not trying to win yesterday

SoonerMavrick25
12/28/2009, 02:39 PM
I hope they get beat by 50 in the playoffs... Don't know about anyone else but I played Wayne (championship of fantasy football) thinking that they would treat it like a real game... I just think teams that hit cruise control fall flat on there faces in the playoffs... You could tell the players were not to pumped up with giving up the game. But then again Payton Manning is soooo injury pron....... oh wait... he hasn't missed a start since oh wait... his rookie year.

the_sooners_abide
12/28/2009, 04:00 PM
i have manning and wayne on my fantasy team. caldwell cost me the championship.

BoulderSooner79
12/28/2009, 04:35 PM
For you guys with Colts players on your fantasy team, this is part of the game and you had a shot at predicting this. Colts have been hinting for a couple of weeks they would sit players, so this was your opportunity to go against them.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/28/2009, 04:37 PM
thank God we don't have to worry about OU resting starters because of a playoff

BoulderSooner79
12/28/2009, 04:40 PM
thank God we don't have to worry about OU resting starters because of a playoff

Run for cover!!

;)