PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Article on Adron Tennell's True Success as a Sooner!

adoniijahsooner
12/27/2009, 10:08 AM
How he fought to earn his degree. I love stories like this.

http://www.newsok.com/ous-adron-tennell-caught-the-one-that-counts/article/3427624?custom_click=lead_story_title

Jenni Carlson: OU’s Adron Tennell caught the one that counts

NORMAN — Adron Tennell has been amazing during his time at Oklahoma.

Yes, that Adron Tennell.

The senior receiver is best known by the Sooner Nation for dropping passes. He’s dropped short slants. He’s dropped long bombs. He’s dropped passes when he’s been covered and when he’s been wide open.

After arriving as a ballyhooed recruit, big things were expected from Tennell. Yet with only the Sun Bowl on New Year’s Eve remaining in his Sooner career, some may see his years at OU as a failure.

They’ve been anything but.

Tennell is on the verge of earning his bachelor’s degree, an accomplishment that seemed impossible when he first arrived in Norman. He was at risk of becoming academically ineligible. He was in jeopardy of falling by the wayside. But now, he is only a semester from earning his degree.

His improvement has been so striking that he recently received the Academic Momentum Award, a national honor given to college athletes who’ve made dramatic strides in the classroom.

What has Tennell improved?

"Everything,” he said.

Academically, college was a whole new world to Tennell. It was so different, so unlike anything he’d experienced in high school. The work load was bigger. The basic comprehension was higher.

The academic advisers in the athletic department recognized right away that Tennell would need a significant amount of tutoring to survive. He would need to spend an hour or two a day, six or seven days a week, working with them. They had the resources. They had the know-how.

But like a fat guy with a gym membership, Tennell had to decide what he was going to do with the things he had at his disposal. He had to make the effort. He had to do the work.

"I know I used that to my full advantage,” he said of the academic support center, "and I still am using it.”

Even as a senior — a stage when most athletes curtail their time in the academic support center — Tennell remains a regular. He spends anywhere from 10 to 12 hours a week there. He receives tutoring. He writes papers. He reads. He studies.

And still, it isn’t always easy.

"Whoo,” he said. "It’s a battle in all my classes, but I just go in there and attack it like I do on the field.”

Sooner fans wish Tennell would’ve attacked a little better on the football field. After a solid spring, he was expected to be a major contributor this fall, but like much this season, that didn’t turn out as planned.

But sometimes in the world of big-time, high-stakes college athletics, we forget that what happens in the games isn’t everything. Granted, it’s important to the players. They care about their performance. They celebrate the good and lament the bad.

Tennell is proof of that. He rarely granted interviews this season amid his struggles.

This fall, though, wasn’t all bad. Getting another semester closer to that degree as well as winning a national academic award has been a great source of pride.

"It’s putting a smile on my face and my mom and dad’s faces,” he said.

Neither his father nor his mother went to college. His older brother was the first in Tennell’s immediate family to attend college, but he left before he got his degree.

"I’m going to be the first to stick it through,” Tennell said.

That makes him a success, a champion, a star, no matter what happened on the field.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/ous-adron-tennell-caught-the-one-that-counts/article/3427624?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0atzBmKS K

rawlingsHOH
12/27/2009, 10:18 AM
Hope his little bro can get qualified. He's a good athlete and should be playing college ball.

delhalew
12/27/2009, 11:02 AM
This makes me very happy. Thank god something good came from his being here.

To miss Carlson, was it necessary to include this quote?
"Whoo,” he said. "It’s a battle in all my classes, but I just go in there and attack it like I do on the field.” He must have dropped a lot of books. :D

Rogue
12/27/2009, 12:31 PM
Like a fat guy with a gym membership?
GTFOOH

AlbqSooner
12/27/2009, 01:18 PM
I always enjoy hearing about this kind of success from Sooner athletes.

Wishboned
12/27/2009, 01:22 PM
Good news for Adron.

Good job on the hard work.

MyT Oklahoma
12/27/2009, 04:48 PM
^^ I agree 100%. Getting a degree is the thing that counts the most. Way to go Adron.

stoopified
12/27/2009, 05:15 PM
Good job

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/27/2009, 05:21 PM
Jenni pointing out the shortcomings of anyone is hilarious

mightysooner
12/27/2009, 05:30 PM
"Whoo,” he said. "It’s a battle in all my classes, but I just go in there and attack it like I do on the field.”

He must've dropped a lot of classes as well.

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2009, 05:51 PM
The senior receiver is best known by the Sooner Nation for dropping passes. He’s dropped short slants. He’s dropped long bombs. He’s dropped passes when he’s been covered and when he’s been wide open.

If you're Adron, do you frame this article or not? "Grandpa, why is the first paragraph cut out?"

Note to Jenni Carlson: If you want to write a feel-good article, try to make it feel good.

Also, you might want to mention the major in which Adron is receiving his degree. That typically is pretty important.

My Opinion Matters
12/27/2009, 07:30 PM
Good kid. Terrible football player.

Scott D
12/27/2009, 09:03 PM
I surely hope that his actual degree isn't in the selection they say on his page on soonersports

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2009, 11:54 PM
What would that be?

adoniijahsooner
12/28/2009, 06:59 AM
What would that be?

multidisciplinary studies major

SteelClip49
12/28/2009, 10:23 AM
an easy degree such as psychology, general studies, sociology....lame degrees. There are no good jobs out there with those majors unless there are good credentials in the resume or you go to medical school.

Props to Tennell though. FAIL to Carlson for again proving why print journalism is more pathetic than Boone Pickens resolution that Oklahoma State football is the future.

sooneron
12/28/2009, 11:43 AM
an easy degree such as psychology, general studies, sociology....lame degrees. There are no good jobs out there with those majors unless there are good credentials in the resume or you go to medical school.

Props to Tennell though. FAIL to Carlson for again proving why print journalism is more pathetic than Boone Pickens resolution that Oklahoma State football is the future.
Really? Are you a recruiter?

sooneredaco
12/28/2009, 12:11 PM
Like a fat guy with a gym membership?
GTFOOH

Have you seen pics of her? I'm sure she has a lot of know how on this subject. She's an idiot. Even her attempt to write a feel good article about someone who deserves it, she fails. What an idot.

BoulderSooner79
12/28/2009, 12:18 PM
Have you seen pics of her? I'm sure she has a lot of know how on this subject. She's an idiot. Even her attempt to write a feel good article about someone who deserves it, she fails. What an idot.

And a tcross.

Soonerfan88
12/28/2009, 01:49 PM
Congrats to Adron. You deserve all kudos for sticking to it and receiving your degree --- any degree.

For those poking fun at a multidisciplinary degree, read up a bit and you will find they are well received in the business community and aren't just roll-over classes for athletes.

rawlingsHOH
12/28/2009, 01:59 PM
If you're Adron, do you frame this article or not? "Grandpa, why is the first paragraph cut out?"

Note to Jenni Carlson: If you want to write a feel-good article, try to make it feel good.

Also, you might want to mention the major in which Adron is receiving his degree. That typically is pretty important.

I agree. That was pretty lame.

Jenni being Jenni.

Scott D
12/28/2009, 06:43 PM
Congrats to Adron. You deserve all kudos for sticking to it and receiving your degree --- any degree.

For those poking fun at a multidisciplinary degree, read up a bit and you will find they are well received in the business community and aren't just roll-over classes for athletes.

I did read up on it..it's like a degree in well, having a degree. I'm not downplaying it, but it's not a focused studies degree. And of course those are going to be well received in the business community. Like 40% of CEO's have their bachelor's degree in English.

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2009, 06:51 PM
I think a degree in English is not only marketable but rigorous. I have nothing but tons of respect for English majors. A good writer is a valuable commodity. Of course,the side interests are important as well, so an English major who has had numerous business courses is well-suited for employment.

Some of the other majors, however, offer nothing more than degrees in eligibility. (I remember the University of Michigan offering some real loo-loos.) They shouldn't even be offered.

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2009, 06:56 PM

Depends.

What disciplines are included in multi-disciplinary studies? Business, math, English, and philosophy? Okay, that's one thing.

Recreation, football, and ethnic studies? That's another.

You get out of it what you put into it. If someone chooses a multi-disciplinary studies degree because it offers the type of rigorous coursework needed to be successful, then it could be of some value. If he chooses it because the coaching staff wants him in easy courses to keep him eligible, then it isn't the worth the paper it is printed on.

King Barry's Back
12/28/2009, 08:16 PM
Depends.

What disciplines are included in multi-disciplinary studies? Business, math, English, and philosophy? Okay, that's one thing.

Recreation, football, and ethnic studies? That's another.

You get out of it what you put into it. If someone chooses a multi-disciplinary studies degree because it offers the type of rigorous coursework needed to be successful, then it could be of some value. If he chooses it because the coaching staff wants him in easy courses to keep him eligible, then it isn't the worth the paper it is printed on.

I don't really know how to react to this story. On the one hand, plenty of OU students will have some trouble in the classroom, but will graduate, and will do so without the ample "resources" that the Ath Dept has brought to bear in favor of one Adron Tennel -- who is being painted here as some kind of hero. So why don't these other students get painted as heros? So I guess my first reaction is that the story is BS.

Then I think, well heck, nobody else in the kid's family has any education, he doesn't sound too bright based on the Oklahoman article, and it's definitely better for him if he gets a degree in anything rather than not getting a degree in anything. So I say, hurray for him.

As far as his major -- I guess Leroy is right that if he's smart and took hard classes, that degree will be an asset for a good job. But honestly, if nobody in the kid's family ever went to college, what do you think a "good job" is for him?

I've heard Q is working in a sports memorabilia shop. Might or might not be a good job for me or you, but it's a pretty nice way for Q to market his athletic career while learning some basic business skills. I mean neither Q nor Tennel are likely to head GM or AIG, but there's nothing wrong with owning a small business either.

So I guess I think it's stupid to celebrate somebody barely getting by in college, but equally counter-productive to criticize him for taking an "easy" path, if that was as much as he could do.

Yeah, I'd like to see him picking up a BS in Chem/Pre-Med, but that's not realistic for some folks.

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2009, 08:43 PM
Does Q own the shop or work in one?

You don't have to have a degree to work behind the counter in a sports memorabilia shop. I would like to think that four years on a college campus would place a student in at least a management position. (And, I mean a real management position, not just a foreman.)

Salt City Sooner
12/28/2009, 10:14 PM
Does Q own the shop or work in one?

You don't have to have a degree to work behind the counter in a sports memorabilia shop. I would like to think that four years on a college campus would place a student in at least a management position. (And, I mean a real management position, not just a foreman.)
Pretty sure I read somewhere that the shop is Jason White's.

JiuJitsuSooner
12/28/2009, 11:26 PM
i was told that Q is part owner of the store

King Barry's Back
12/29/2009, 04:36 AM
i was told that Q is part owner of the store

Good for him. Hope I get back to OKC sometime and can stop by and pay my respects.

Monster Zero
12/29/2009, 08:30 AM
"It’s putting a smile on my face and my mom and dad’s faces”

Good on this young man, someone hire him. He's a better man than me.

adoniijahsooner
12/29/2009, 09:04 AM
There has to be progress from someone in the family in order to break certain cycles. I had a 1.5 g.p.a. in high school, and it was looking as though I would not graduate. I worked hard my senior year, and ended up attaining my goal. It was such a big deal that John Walls of channel 6 did a news piece on the event, with cameras at the graduation. Ended up going to college, and doing better in college than I did in high school, although I still have not completed my degree at 33 years of age. The real story is that my children are straight A students. In fact 2 of them are gifted students, who are doing amazing things in the classroom. My oldest daughter is already looking at colleges in Europe, because she says she wants to be prepared, she is only 12. The point I am making is that what Tennell has done will have a great impact on his family and may be the spur for the upcoming generations. Don't discount the importance of progress.

Jdog
12/29/2009, 01:12 PM
Got to give big Congrats to anyone who can make that big of a change. Awards like the one Adron received look great on a resume.

10 to 12 hours studying a day is tough work - Sounds like he really took advantage of his scholarship to OU. He'll get a much better job because of it.

Way to go kid.