PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of Bowden like "putting your favorite dog down"

adoniijahsooner
12/26/2009, 12:54 PM
Bowden deserves better than this crap. FSU was a joke before he made them what they are.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_fsu/2009/10/fsu-board-of-trustees-chairman-compares-bobby-bowden-situation-to-putting-a-dog-to-sleep.html

“Frankly, it was personally very painful for me because I have the utmost respect for Coach Bowden and what he's done. I told somebody (Monday), it's sort of like you have to put your favorite dog down; you know it's the right thing to do but you sure feel bad about it.”

oufreak
12/26/2009, 01:23 PM
Yeah I hope he goes out with a great bowl game win.

rawlingsHOH
12/26/2009, 01:56 PM
He made the program. He should have been able to write his own ticket out. He was just a figure head at this point anyway, the coordinators were calling the shots. I'm not exactly sure what makes them think it will be better with Jimbo.

FSU was a girl's school.

mightysooner
12/26/2009, 01:58 PM
What else is this good program supposed to do with a man who refuses to accept his career is over? It's been over for years. They have to get back to prominence and they can't do that with him clinging on to his pride like this.

Soonerfan88
12/26/2009, 02:03 PM
To me, this is the same argument as with Bob Barry - know when to hang it up. Continuing to put such a poor product out there only serves to erode the good will and reputation built over decades. Have you read some of the transcripts of Bowden's press conferences? He doesn't even know what's going on during the game well enough to answer post-game questions.

His insistent nepotism was just the start. After FSU forced him to fire Jeff or be fired himself, Jimbo Fisher was hired as the OC & designated successor yet there were two others on his old staff that also thought they were in charge. You can't have such fractured leadership and expect to field a successful team. Bobby had become a figurehead on a rudderless ship but was too stubborn or senile to recognize it. The Regents were absolutely correct to force him out.

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2009, 03:52 PM
That is what they call a hit piece. The journalist is out to make more of Jim Smith's comment than they warrant.

I am sure that Smith intended his comment to be a compliment, but it just didn't come out that way. I know what Smith intended to say, but using a dying dog as an analogy wasn't a good idea.

It was just a poor choice of words. The blogger needs to let it rest.

delhalew
12/26/2009, 03:53 PM
I disagree...I regret having to put down my favorite dog. Whereas it's about damn time Bowden took his Senile butt and went fishin' or something.

If you want to feel warm and fuzzy about an old timer still doing the job...look to JoePa.

BTW...Dadgummit!

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2009, 04:11 PM
I disagree...I regret having to put down my favorite dog. Whereas it's about damn time Bowden took his Senile butt and went fishin' or something.

But you could say that about your favorite dog. "He was fun when he was younger, but he doesn't fetch anymore so screw him!"

You're not an FSU fan. It's easy for you to say, "Eh, fire him!" He built that program and he is the only coach the vast majority of fans have ever known. Dismissing him had to be tough.

In other words, it's much easier to tell your neighbor to put his dog down.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/26/2009, 04:14 PM
Ole Bobby sure had no love for the Sooners. We beat him every time we played him.(wish it was that way with the U, too)

delhalew
12/26/2009, 04:30 PM
I've been eyeball f%&cking FSU on our schedule for a while. I wanted good competition that elevates us if we can win.

With Bobby present, that is impossible. If he got his walking papers a year or two ago, maybe they would be better next year.

We just have to hope that new energy and DC with the name Stoops is enough to make them a player next year.

Scott D
12/26/2009, 04:32 PM
What else is this good program supposed to do with a man who refuses to accept his career is over? It's been over for years. They have to get back to prominence and they can't do that with him clinging on to his pride like this.

I'm going to argue slightly with this point. Even during his down seasons, the FSU record was still better than a couple in JoePa's drier years earlier this decade. Why is Bobby past his prime and needs to go but JoePa can still be going strong?

I'd probably argue that Bobby's feelings of loyalty to his coordinators and position coaches was more his downfall than anything, and not because his career is 'over'.

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2009, 04:32 PM
With Bobby present, that is impossible.

Tell that to BYU.

BTW, what's with you and FSU?

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2009, 04:35 PM
Besides, how far have they fallen?

OU: 7-5, Sun Bowl
FSU: 6-6, Gator Bowl

Scott D
12/26/2009, 04:41 PM
Or better yet...two coaches..two records over the past 10 years

1999 10-3 12-0
2000 5-7 11-2
2001 5-6 8-4
2002 9-4 9-5
2003 3-9 10-3
2004 4-7 9-3
2005 11-1 8-5
2006 9-4 7-6
2007 9-4 7-6
2008 11-2 9-4
2009 10-2 6-6

One was a lot stronger early in the decade than the other, but the second coach never had a losing record this decade compared to the 4 that the first coach has. Surely being an old man has nothing to do with it since both are old men with a lot of tenure.

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2009, 04:46 PM
What Bobby has done is amazing. Great coach.

I remember a lot of people calling Joe Pa senile in 2004.

Scott D
12/26/2009, 04:51 PM
up here there were a ton of rumblings about how JoePa was past his time, and it was time for him to move on. Joe changed the way he did some things, got a few key recruits and turned things around in Happy Valley, now it's back to JoePa leaving on JoePa's terms when JoePa is ready.

FWIW, I think JoePa doesn't make it more than 9 months after he retires.

delhalew
12/26/2009, 04:54 PM
Tell that to BYU.

BTW, what's with you and FSU?

Full disclosure:
I've lived all over the south, including Florida. I lived in Atlanta from 1998-2003.
My experiences with fans of all of the Florida teams(as well as SEC teams), has left me with a strong desire to stomp a mud hole in their asses whenever possible. I was delighted to have Miami an the schedule and now I'm happy to have FSU on the schedule. I tire of hearing of their dominance bla bla bla. Play the Sooners and lets see what happens. Not to mention these teams make good wins in the BCS era.

Add to that Bowden's voting record in the coaches pole over the years. His lack of respect for, and prejudice against the Sooners makes me sick.

Add to that the gibberish coming out of his mouth for years now...

Any more questions? I'm an open book.:)

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2009, 05:03 PM
Add to that Bowden's voting record in the coaches pole over the years. His lack of respect for, and prejudice against the Sooners makes me sick.

Of all coaches we have played against, Bobby paid his respects more than anyone. He absolutely gushed over our performance in 2001. Remember all the great things he had to say about J.C. Watts?

Personally, I like him.

delhalew
12/26/2009, 05:09 PM
Of all coaches we have played against, Bobby paid his respects more than anyone. He absolutely gushed over our performance in 2001. Remember all the great things he had to say about J.C. Watts?

Personally, I like him.

There have been years we were a 5 to 7 rated team he voted us 17 to 22.

Look at old poles he is always a standout.

delhalew
12/26/2009, 05:10 PM
Besides which, he really is letting his pride damage the program he built. If you set up a succession plan don't then make them pry the program from your hands.

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2009, 05:13 PM
Did you say that about Joe Pa in 2004?

delhalew
12/26/2009, 05:22 PM
Joe Pa didn't set up a successor, Joe Pa didn't ever seem "out of it" to me.

Last but not least, Joe Pa and Penn ST don't really have any emotional resonance to me. They are a respectable program that we rarely play (86 Orange Bowl is the only time I can recall). I just can't hate on them.

rawlingsHOH
12/26/2009, 06:22 PM
There have been years we were a 5 to 7 rated team he voted us 17 to 22.

Look at old poles he is always a standout.
Though last year he ranked us #1. And this year he was one of two coaches that had OU in the top 25.

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2009, 07:48 PM
For all we know, his SID votes.

delhalew
12/26/2009, 08:45 PM
Though last year he ranked us #1. And this year he was one of two coaches that had OU in the top 25.

I was very vocal about what an anomaly that vote was.

mightysooner
12/27/2009, 12:17 AM
I'm going to argue slightly with this point. Even during his down seasons, the FSU record was still better than a couple in JoePa's drier years earlier this decade. Why is Bobby past his prime and needs to go but JoePa can still be going strong?

I'd probably argue that Bobby's feelings of loyalty to his coordinators and position coaches was more his downfall than anything, and not because his career is 'over'.

JoePa is still having considerable success. Bobby is not. There's no comparison to the state of both programs right now.

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2009, 12:22 AM
Joe Pa was not having considerable success in 2004. Should he have been forced to resign?

mightysooner
12/27/2009, 12:30 AM
Who cares about 2004? What kind of argument is that?

Paterno
2005 11-1
2006 9-4
2007 9-4
2008 11-2
2009 10-2

Bowden has had one good season since losing to us in 2000. He went 10-3 in 2003 and has been slightly above average to having a losing season every year since. The program at FSU is in a downward tailspin. The program at PSU has returned to national prominence. It's not an argument. One is still producing. One is clearly not.

Scott D
12/27/2009, 01:33 PM
Who cares about 2004? What kind of argument is that?

Paterno
2005 11-1
2006 9-4
2007 9-4
2008 11-2
2009 10-2

Bowden has had one good season since losing to us in 2000. He went 10-3 in 2003 and has been slightly above average to having a losing season every year since. The program at FSU is in a downward tailspin. The program at PSU has returned to national prominence. It's not an argument. One is still producing. One is clearly not.

And one clearly didn't read the entirety of this thread before replying to it.

King Barry's Back
12/28/2009, 08:31 PM
I think it's a damn shame that Bobby Bowden is being forced out. I also think it might well be the right decision, but still a damn shame. Kind of like putting your dog down.

When I was younger, I used to look at some of the older folks in positions around town, and around the state, and think "let's get rid of them."

Now, when I see some older folks struggling, I am old enough to remember them in their primes -- and I hate it that the younger ones want to toss a life-time of experience aside.

All that said, if OU had a coach that had turned in three six-loss seasons in the past four years -- I'd say find somebody else. End of story.

I guess I wish Coach Bowden had just felt like stepping aside. I mean, honestly, doesn't he want to get to know his grandkids?

I've often wondered if this competition w/ JoePa to be the winningest coach ever is what has kept BB in the game. Well, at least that is settled. Maybe JoePa can take it easy now.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/28/2009, 08:49 PM
One edge JoPa had on Bobby Bowden was the PSU domination of recruiting in PA and prolly some surrounding areas. Bowden had to compete with the U, and FU, too.(ys, pun intended)