PDA

View Full Version : LA Times: USC AD leaves poor Pete Carroll hanging out to dry

King Barry's Back
12/26/2009, 12:14 AM
Not sure what the AD should or even could do. USC is an "outlaw" program, Pete Carroll has allowed his mouth to run in public, and the NCAA may finally be on the scent. Looks like this is all Carroll's own doing, to me. FWIW --

latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-sp-simers23-2009dec23,0,721029.column

T.J. Simers, December 23, 2009, From San Francisco

Where's Mike Garrett?

Every time I run into the USC athletic director he takes off running, only now beginning to understand why -- obviously the administrator in training for the next controversy to plague his athletic department.

Former USC basketball coach Tim Floyd told The Times recently Garrett abandoned him when Floyd had his problems.

"Mike's reputation took precedence," Floyd said. "All loyalty, all support stopped."

Here we go again, Pete Carroll now on the spot, the perception nationally the Trojans' football program is out of control, if not in need of an NCAA spanking, and Garrett is nowhere to be found to assist the guy who saved his career.

Garrett owes every day on the job, every penny earned to Carroll after stumbling across him almost a decade ago and hiring him to take the job Mike Riley, Dennis Erickson and Mike Bellotti turned down.

And now, as wacky as it is to even suggest, Carroll needs Garrett to buy him some time to regroup.

It has been a terrible year for Carroll, starting with the embarrassing way he reacted to Mark Sanchez's decision to turn pro knowing more than anyone he'd be left without a solid quarterback -- and leading all the way up to this week and the Joe McKnight affair and three players declared academically ineligible.

"I don't think he did anything wrong," Carroll says, but if that's the case, then why isn't McKnight here practicing with his teammates?

"It's out of my hands," Carroll says, a hint of dissatisfaction and even disagreement in his voice, and so where's Garrett, the school's top athletic administrator, who might explain such things?

The way this season has gone, does USC really want a flippant Carroll, who sometimes cannot hide his athletic arrogance, to do the talking?

"You let everyone down this season," he's told by way of teasing Monday, you know, "everyone figuring Uncle Pete would never allow Oregon and Stanford do what they did to one of your teams, not to mention Arizona."

"I agree," Carroll says, while acknowledging the PR hits are beginning to add up. "It started with Sanchez."

There's also the controversy regarding UCLA, recruiting and Ken NortonJr., Carroll allowing an unsportsmanlike bomb thrown against the Bruins, three players declared academically ineligible this week and the undisciplined behavior of his players at times.

He might win arguments to the contrary on any one of these, but cumulatively they paint a troubling picture.

"You're right," he says. "And it hits you right in the gut.

"I care so much about this program, but all I can do is just keep battling."

He says he has talked to McKnight but never asked him why he lied -- saying he never drove a car that a Times reporter spotted him driving several times. And why not?

"I asked him what happened and I know what Joe told me, but I can't say," Carroll says.

If McKnight has done nothing wrong, why can't Carroll say?

"Let's go on . . . anybody else [have a question]?" he snaps, testy, defensive and essentially helpless.

Why isn't Garrett here, Carroll answering the football questions and Garrett the administrative inquiries? What's Garrett doing? Ordering socks for the women's volleyball program?

Call his office, and all you get is an answering machine. Maybe he's expecting a call from the NCAA.

A spokesman says Garrett is at the Nut Bowl's V.I.P. dinner, his way of saying he's unavailable, and I guess a Very Important Peanut.

Seven years ago this week, the toughest question facing Carroll and his No. 5-ranked Trojans was why had they all welcomed O.J. Simpson to an Orange Bowl practice.

That was considered a controversy, Carroll taking some heat after saying, "It's great to see O.J. come out," the Trojans hugging Simpson and many asking for his autograph.

Here's how things have changed: Everyone wants to know whether McKnight will ever again be welcomed to a USC practice, the unranked Trojans preparing for the Nut Bowl, practicing at City College of San Francisco where Simpson played, but -- in what might be considered the only sign of progress of late -- honoring Simpson's memory with a tour of Alcatraz.

It's been a grand ride for USC until now, the Reggie Bush whatever hanging somewhere in the air, but so many games sold out in the Coliseum and so much fanfare.

There's no reason to think Carroll has lost it, maybe some of his athletic arrogance tamed a tad as he reflects on his inability to overcome the transition of so many players to the NFL in the last two years.

But now how does he keep each bit of bad news from feeling like an avalanche?

For example, did the players declared academically ineligible recently quit on Carroll after it became obvious the Trojans would not be playing in one of the more prestigious bowl games?

"We don't do the work for them," Carroll says, which is good to know should that ever become an issue.

USC has tutors and academic advisors, and doesn't someone let Carroll know if someone is in jeopardy of not making grades? So why does he call it a "surprise" when they do not?

Why is such a lame excuse offered in explaining why McKnight didn't make the trip here -- too much paperwork to do? He can't take it with him, and use some form of modern-day communication to return it?

Each question adds to the suspicion that USC football is dirty, crumbling or has lost its focus.

A school with an athletic director, who has a spokesman read a statement to the media while sitting a few feet away, does nothing but introduce Mickey Mouse behavior into the discussion.

The nature of the sports fan makes it very simple, more expected of Carroll now after giving everyone everything they could want the last seven years. It's on him.

But if anyone should be working day and night to deflect or keep the heat off Carroll, it is Garrett, who has gotten a free ride thanks to USC's football success.

[email protected]

Copyright © 2009, The Los Angeles Times

adoniijahsooner
12/26/2009, 12:28 AM
I believe the ad should be held responsible 1st.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/26/2009, 01:45 AM
When, oh when, will the NCAA get on that Reggie Bush home-for-his-parents thingy, that has been swept aside for sooooo long???

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2009, 01:55 AM
This is what happens when you hire an AD based on his past greatness as an athlete.

swardboy
12/26/2009, 09:21 AM
Nice to see Garrett still has the moves....

stoopified
12/26/2009, 10:20 AM
Each question adds to the suspicion that USC football is dirty, crumbling or has lost its focu/QUOTE]YES,YES, and YES.I think suspicion is a major understatement.

Blues1
12/26/2009, 10:47 AM
Hopefully Pete's next Coaching Job will be at Palomar JR College San Diego... :)
or even Better No where at All.......!!!!

TUSooner
12/26/2009, 12:02 PM
Nothing like some holiday Schadenfreude! I don't really dislike Petey, but I'm never too terribly sad to see USC on the skids in any way. :D

Jacie
12/26/2009, 12:10 PM
The storied program has sunk so low, if asked, OJ wouldn't visit them at practice again.

badger
12/26/2009, 12:11 PM
This is the picture that ran with the article:
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-12/51236647.jpg
Looks like a match made in heaven, eh? Two people that don't accept responsibility when stuff goes wrong!

budbarrybob
12/26/2009, 12:14 PM
If they are able to pin something small on SUC, maybe the wheels start to whobble and people will start to come out and help the bus crash hard. Ala Tiger Woods et. al.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/26/2009, 12:23 PM
These problems need to stay in the news, at least through national signing day.

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2009, 04:01 PM
The storied program has sunk so low, if asked, OJ wouldn't visit them at practice again.

Heh.

Jacie
1/10/2010, 07:40 PM
Just read this article and practically hyperventilated. It is about the Trojans and the investigation no one thought would ever come to a just conclusion. I don't feel they deserve a new thread so I resurrected this one because the title seems appropriate, except that in the end, it appears that it will be Petey who leaves USC hanging out to dry . . .

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=ApJyvJpmCsjcPh2R9BpI5bccvrYF?slug=dw-carroll011010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Carroll’s legacy TBD

So Pete Carroll appears headed back to the NFL, this time with Seattle, and what he left behind at Southern California is anyone’s guess.

There will be memories of his exuberant personality, joyfully pacing the sidelines during nine dominant seasons. And there will be questions about how he accomplished it.

Sources with knowledge of the situation say the NCAA is in the final stages of what has become a two-sport, department-wide investigation into USC athletics. A source told Yahoo! Sports that Reggie Bush voluntarily met with NCAA investigators last summer to discuss allegations of receiving extra benefits from marketing representatives.

The NCAA is expected to finalize its investigation in the next couple of months, if not sooner.

Details in the case date back to 2004, when Bush allegedly began receiving cash, clothes, cars, travel and a rent-free home for his mother and stepfather from marketing companies. The case could run through last month’s revelation that Joe McKnight (“the next Reggie Bush”) was driving a SUV registered to an L.A.-area businessman. It also includes agent activity surrounding former basketball star O.J. Mayo that led to the resignation of coach Tim Floyd and the school sanctioning itself last month.

If the NCAA declares Bush retroactively ineligible for the 2004 season, the Bowl Championship Series has said it will consider stripping the Trojans of their lone BCS title during Carroll’s era.

By the end, who knows what will be left.

Carroll never has publicly offered detailed answers to myriad questions that surround how the program handled its off-field business. Whatever, if anything, he’s told the NCAA thus far may be his final comment – as the Seahawks coach he no longer is obligated to speak to investigators.

At issue aren’t just specific details about Carroll’s knowledge of various dealings but the overall personality of his program.

There’s no denying Carroll ran a loose ship. At its best it perfectly represented his fun-loving ways and the laid-back L.A. lifestyle. At its worst it opened the program up to all sorts of trouble.

There were celebs on the sidelines, practices open to nearly anyone, and agents and runners rummaging around Heritage Hall like perhaps no place else in college football. The compliance department appeared to be compliant to the wishes of the football program. And it was all headed by a bumbling, if image-conscious, athletic director in Mike Garrett.

In each of the investigations, the NCAA will ask not just whether a coach (or his assistants) knew about agent or booster activity with a player but also whether he or they should’ve known.

Troubling for USC is that the people who allegedly – or in some cases admittedly – supplied Bush and his family with extra benefits weren’t anonymous to the program.

Two founders of a fledgling San Diego marketing company were given postgame locker room access at the L.A. Coliseum, and one, Lloyd Lake, said USC assistant coach Todd McNair had knowledge of the benefits received by Bush.

Another marketing company that was alleged to have made direct payments to the player and admitted providing travel for Bush and his parents (its claim of restitution doesn’t make it any less of a NCAA violation) actually employed Bush as a summer intern. They did it only after filing paperwork with the USC compliance office.

This means that in the months before his Heisman Trophy season, not one person at USC, let alone Carroll, considered that it might be risky to have a potential top-five pick spend the summer interning at a marketing company desperate to sign him as a client?

In the post-Bush era, the school doesn’t appear all that more diligent. When McKnight registered a SUV with the athletic department during his junior season, red flags apparently didn’t fly. The Los Angeles Times quickly figured out that the car was registered to a local businessman who also employed McKnight’s girlfriend and had secured a web domain that could be used to market McKnight. USC either didn’t check or didn’t act on it.

How isn’t all of this a lack of institutional control?

And how couldn’t Pete Carroll be aware of at least some of it? Can all of it be brushed off as a coincidence?

The perception is that the NCAA has been standing around doing nothing on this case as part of a conspiracy to sweep it under the rug. While its long history of selective enforcement creates reasonable doubt about its motives regarding a cash cow such as USC, in this situation I’m inclined, at least partially, to believe the opposite.

The Trojans represent a must-get for the NCAA, a case that is so over-the-top, so well-publicized and so blatantly against the most obvious of rules that it can’t allow the Trojans to escape without losing all credibility and dealing with an avalanche of national criticism. Many in college athletics wonder that if the NCAA can’t get USC, what’s the point of the operation?

Part of it is jealousy of the juggernaut Carroll built. Part of it is because of the huge financial numbers, the documents, taped conversations and a tell-all book. Part of it is because Bush hasn’t helped his cause. That includes paying a reported $300,000 to Michael Michaels, the man who owned the rent-free home, in a settlement that included an unusual clause that prohibited Michaels from speaking with the NCAA.

All of this is why the NCAA has been so slow and cautious. Here’s how the system works: The NCAA enforcement staff (the cops) get one chance to present their findings to the infractions committee (the jury). That jury has built a recent reputation for turning a blind eye on even obvious violations, in part because it’s mostly made up of sympathetic athletic directors.

In the Bush case, the enforcement staff patiently has waited for all the possible facts to come out. This includes Bush’s potential under oath testimony in a lawsuit filed by Lake. If the NCAA acted swiftly, it would’ve missed out on speaking with Bush (or getting sworn testimony) and thus presented a weaker case to the jury.

In this situation, the delay actually was a sign of serious intent. It’s trying to deliver a thorough case to a jury that knows college sports’ credibility is on the line.

While some of that may not be fair to USC, and Carroll’s Trojans may have done nothing that dozens of their competitors also have not done, the stonewalling, gag-order settlements and circumstances have helped make this what it is.

USC was able to delay things through the years, but doing so may not have helped its cause in the long run.

Now Pete Carroll is all but gone, but the questions remain and his legacy isn’t close to determined.

Scott D
1/10/2010, 07:50 PM
eh it's 50/50 perception I guess. Some think Pete is leaving USC out to dry, some think Pete is bailing because Garrett left him out to dry.

Curly Bill
1/10/2010, 08:22 PM
I think everyone associated with that program is a crook -- no playing favorites that way. ;)

guzziguy
1/10/2010, 08:39 PM
Please, please, let USC get exactly what they should.

GKeeper316
1/10/2010, 08:47 PM
ok so here's my question...

lets assume that carroll left for seattle because the ncaa is about to hammer usc athletics into oblivion. lets also assume that as part of the sanctions, usc's football program is forced to vacate any wins in which reggie bush was on the field for (a la oj mayo).

if that is the case, do we (OU) make a case for the 05 title? does it go to auburn (who, admittedly, was robbed of thier shot that year and ended the season ranked #2)?

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks, Jacie. That is one of the best articles I have seen on the issue.

if that is the case, do we (OU) make a case for the 05 title? does it go to auburn (who, admittedly, was robbed of thier shot that year and ended the season ranked #2)?

Couldn't give it to Auburn because they didn't play in the BCS championship game.

If the win is vacated, I don't think it can go to OU. Most likely, no champion will be declared.

Scott D
1/10/2010, 10:29 PM
Auburn will claim it anyway, and likely have another hayride parade to celebrate it.

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 10:43 PM
Auburn will claim it anyway, and likely have another hayride parade to celebrate it.

Yep.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/TROPHY.jpg

Q22
1/10/2010, 11:04 PM
all I can say is thank God for Joe C. and Bob Stoops.

sooneredaco
1/11/2010, 12:20 AM

lets assume that carroll left for seattle because the ncaa is about to hammer usc athletics into oblivion. lets also assume that as part of the sanctions, usc's football program is forced to vacate any wins in which reggie bush was on the field for (a la oj mayo).

No.... Alabama gets it since Auburn is in the State of Alabama. They add it to thier 87 before that. Add this years 4 titles and they have 126 total. Just plain 'ole Alabama math.

soonerloyal
1/11/2010, 03:58 PM
I just can't keep a straight face with the words "poor" and "Pete Carroll" in the same sentence. I can't imagine a professional scenario where he'd rate sympathy...

badger
1/11/2010, 04:23 PM
A hasty decision that leaves USC feeling crappy can only be summed up in a hastily put-together fark that looks crappy:
http://i48.tinypic.com/2mc91cg.jpg
:D

Lott's Bandana
1/11/2010, 04:44 PM

No.

I'd tell you why but we don't talk about it.

King Barry's Back
1/12/2010, 04:43 AM
Please, please, let USC get exactly what THE NCAA WOULD HAVE GIVEN OU.

Fixed it for ya.

King Barry's Back
1/12/2010, 05:15 AM
On USC being forced to give up wins when Mr Bush was playing:

IF the NCAA orders those games to be forfeited (which they used to do 20 years ago), then in any game declared forfeit, the opponent would then be declared the winner. That means that TGOWWDNS would be magically transformed to a Sooner win, and the trophy that goes to the winner of that game would be given to us.

PREDICTION: In that scenario, the Univ of Oklahoma would refuse to accept the trophy, refuse to accept or acknowledge the title, and add neither the natl championship nor the bowl championship to the stadium totals.

PREDICTION: The NCAA will NOT declare a foreit in the BCS Title game. Lately, they seem more interested in vacating games than declaring winners -- and the changes that would mean for conference/natl champions, TV rights, and all that stuff, is the clear reason.

PREDICTION: The NCAA will declare the 2005 Orange Bowl/BCS Championship vacated -- meaning no winner. The BCS will then have a dilemma -- let USC keep their trophy, award the trophy to someone else, or vacate it. The trophy will be badly tarnished no matter what the BCS does, but I do not believe they can allow a team officially declared to have NO WINS that season keep the trophy. To give it to us would be a sham and an embarassment. To give it to somebody who didn't even participate in their game would paint their own organization as a travesty.

PREDICTION: BCS will vacate the championship.

There are, however, other national championships, AND there is a very clear and deserving team that could be crowned in USC's stead.

BIG QUESTION: What is the AP going to do? Does the AP mgmt even have the power to vacate a poll champion? Would the voters have to be reassembled to re-vote? The AP champion was voted by media members. Some of those voters have died, retired, dropped off the map, etc. IF the AP could remove USC, what would then happen? How would/could a replacement be chosen?

What about the ESPN/Coaches Poll? Could they somehow select a replacement?

I think the point is that, in short, USC should be removed and Auburn awarded the natl championship. The crystal ball should probably be vacated, and a way found to name Auburn on one or two of the other polls.

The real problem for Auburn is that retro-actively naming them champs after so long -- how do you do it and maintain the integrity of your poll? If you just choose some expediency to name the obvious winner (Auburn), you set yourself for a bad precedent when another problem develops and there is no clear replacement.

Well, heck, it'll all be fun to watch.

EDIT: Another question just popped in my head. If Auburn is given the title, does Tuberville get his job back because the school wouldn't fire a BCS-winning coach? [smiley]

Scott D
1/12/2010, 05:34 PM
Auburn will claim it because they are an Aggie, and we know how Aggies react to things.

Besides, if USC can claim a title 50 years after the fact, why can't Auburn claim one 5 years after the fact ;)

KantoSooner
1/12/2010, 05:44 PM
Okay, let's say the NCAA takes the approach of cutting USC's schollies, by say, oh 5 per year for five years. Then forces them to give up the trophy. Who to award it to? How about a sporting proposition? You go to each team in the next to last poll that year and offer it to them in turn WITH the option that they could either keep it, tarnished though it might be OR they could expand USC's penalty by one schollie each OR extend the length of scholarship reduction by one season.

Sweet reason AND allows for the mutual admiration and love felt by most of college football to manifest itself.