PDA

View Full Version : Article from espn about Stoop's possible change of the player's mindset

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/24/2009, 03:16 PM
Kind of interesting.....thoughts from the Sooner Nation on this one?

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12

Oklahoma looking for leadership lessons after Alabama's success
By Tim Griffin

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops apparently has detected what is working around college football.

After struggling through a 7-5 record that was his worst regular-season mark during his 11-season tenure with the Sooners, Stoops apparently is looking for some answers.

One of the places he will turn after the season will be the Pacific Institute, a Seattle-based company that has conducted mental conditioning classes for Crimson Tide players since 2008.

Alabama's success has paved the way for the company's work with other teams, most notably Florida State and the Sooners in the future.

Alabama began using the Pacific Institute after coach Nick Saban's first Crimson Tide team went 7-6 in 2007 with 10 player arrests over 18 months. Saban uses several other outside speakers as part of his coaching "process" in an attempt to make his players successful citizens.

Stoops told Antowaine Richardson, a Pacific Institute instructor, that he had noticed what Saban's team has accomplished in the last two seasons.

"Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Richardson told the Birmingham News.

Earlier, the program had worked with USC and Washington.

The News spells out testimonials for the program from Alabama players, who noted that representatives have been with them throughout the season.

It's an interesting dynamic and building block towards building a program.

Oklahoma was seen as the cutting-edge model for other program not too many years ago.

But after the BCS losses and this season's disappointments, Stoops now is gravitating to the ideas of others to help him rebuild what he had.

toast
12/24/2009, 03:20 PM
osu already tried this:

http://whatchrislikes.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/farley-750599.jpg

the_ouskull
12/24/2009, 04:52 PM
I think that 1999 Stoops would have laughed at 2009 Stoops for trying it, but if HE can't reach them and motivate them, hopefully he can pay someone to. I still doesn't seem right, though. Motivating your players is part of the job. It's why coaches like Bob Knight, Phil Jackson, and Gregg Popovich are always competing and coaches like Don Nelson, Mike Dunleavy, and Vinny DelNegro are not.

the_ouskull

JLEW1818
12/24/2009, 05:25 PM
lol dropping the DelNegro card!!! i love it

badger
12/24/2009, 05:32 PM
Just like opponents catch onto a coach's system after awhile, I think players catch onto coach's motivational techniques after awhile.

As such, coach's systems don't work after a few years, much like motivational techniques stop motivating.

Therefore, I fully endorse bringing in some new ideas to change things up. We might only have players for four years (or six years, if you're Jason White), but you can't rely on old ideas and methods when the game keeps changing.

And as Mark Mangino would attest to, there's no greater motivational tool than winning. A lot of winning.

JLEW1818
12/24/2009, 05:34 PM
good stuff Badger... whats for dinner tonight

badger
12/24/2009, 05:34 PM
good stuff Badger... whats for dinner tonight

Ask NP. I might be the chick in the relationship, but he's definitely the cook.

JLEW1818
12/24/2009, 05:35 PM
Ask NP. I might be the chick in the relationship, but he's definitely the cook.

:D

yall be in Tulsa ?

Blues1
12/24/2009, 06:06 PM
Just like opponents catch onto a coach's system after awhile, I think players catch onto coach's motivational techniques after awhile.

As such, coach's systems don't work after a few years, much like motivational techniques stop motivating.

Therefore, I fully endorse bringing in some new ideas to change things up. We might only have players for four years (or six years, if you're Jason White), but you can't rely on old ideas and methods when the game keeps changing.

And as Mark Mangino would attest to, there's no greater motivational tool than winning. A lot of winning.

Yep -- All of the Above...~~! - Sometimes you hear it and Sometimes you really Hear it ~~ :)

AzianSooner
12/24/2009, 06:42 PM
Dearest Bob,

This is a good move from you for OU football program.

I love you.

an asian ding-dong sooner.

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2009, 07:14 PM

Didn't Dallas Cowboy players say something like that about Jimmy Johnson?

sooner94
12/24/2009, 07:20 PM
Didn't Dallas Cowboy players say something like that about Jimmy Johnson?

Yes, I remember that. Not sure which players said that but a couple of them did. JJ actually started annoying the players towards the end.

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2009, 07:48 PM
I know that Emmitt Smith was one of them.

KC//CRIMSON
12/24/2009, 07:56 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder where he's going to send Kevin Wilson for his mental conditioning?

SoonerLB
12/24/2009, 10:16 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder where he's going to send Kevin Wilson for his mental conditioning?

From watching SMU tonight, I'd send him to the June Jones school of play calling and hope he would learn something, although I doubt he'd get his homework in on time. :D

Collier11
12/24/2009, 10:26 PM
I think what Stoops is used to doing and used to working he now may believe doesnt work anymore, I hate to see him doubting himself but if there is a way to get that mental edge back that we obviously have missed at times, do what you gotta do

King Barry's Back
12/24/2009, 11:05 PM
CaliBorn,

Don't want to hijack your thread, but, looking at your sig....I can't help but wonder if Tiger Woods is a "good friend" of yours.

sooner ngintunr
12/24/2009, 11:42 PM
Wait. Alabama's success?

that article is dogshiit.

I'm sure 'Bama's success is because of the mind games institute of the pacific, it couldn't be their 6 All Americans and an injury free season. nah.

GKeeper316
12/24/2009, 11:52 PM
i remember the off season after we won it all in 2000 sports illustrated did a piece about the ohio state coaching staff coming to norman over the summer to "observe" how the ou coaches did their thing. wasnt too long after that ohio state became relevent again.

this kinda thing is done all the time in big time college ball. not much else can be said.

goingoneight
12/25/2009, 12:08 AM
So... Alabama almost lost a crappy bowl and lost a BCS game the last two seasons.

Sounds familiar...

sooneredaco
12/25/2009, 12:18 AM
My thought is this... Stoops is paid a very hefty salary for a reason, to win. Winning brings fans, fans bring revenue, revenue makes the world go round. Stoops is the CEO of OUr football program. As CEO he must do whatever needs to be done in order for Oklahoma football to succeed. I see this as a very positive move. I think it really tells us a lot about Bob. He possess a quality that many very successful CEO's do, humility. He's humble enough to recognize that we need change in order for us to get back to our high standard of playing. I really didn't think my respect for him could grow much more, but it's moves like this that really do that for me.

Boomer Sooner Bob! Let's go get #8!!!

goingoneight
12/25/2009, 12:24 AM
I don't doubt he's reaching for success in new and unfamiliar areas. We've seen it in his recruiting of more dual-threat QBs lately, and the move to the no-huddle. Mor echanges on the way it seems. Just seems like idolizing Bama might be one of those things you don't want to get too caught up in the moment.

Collier11
12/25/2009, 02:20 AM
If we win a natl title in the next 3-5 years, preferably next year, I dont care what he does

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/25/2009, 03:00 AM
So... Alabama almost lost a crappy bowl and lost a BCS game the last two seasons.

Sounds familiar...THAT is the fly in the ointment?

12/25/2009, 03:13 AM
If we win a natl title in the next 3-5 years, preferably next year, I dont care what he doesWhat if he's nude in the last quarter of each game, or wears a freaking Whorns baseball cap, and yells "Texass Fight", every 10 seconds or so...or makes the horsepigs wear blonde ponytail wigs and bright crimson lipstick, and perform soccer exhibitions at the 50 yd line?

Collier11
12/25/2009, 03:15 AM
If OU wins the natl title, whatev dude

12/25/2009, 03:32 AM
If OU wins the natl title, whatev dudeYeah, me too.

ashley
12/25/2009, 08:31 AM
It is simple. We lost our QB.

budbarrybob
12/25/2009, 10:23 AM
It is simple. We lost our QB.

Not so fast my friend...

There have been several games over the past season and bowl games (the last MNC not included) that have seen a lack of effort, IMHO, the latest was TT. When you see OUr boys get out hussled, they need motivation. If they can't get it intrinsically then get them an extrinsic form of motivation. If not the coach then the coach's **** boy. Even Bob Dole needed a little help and was willing to admit it ;)

the_ouskull
12/25/2009, 11:53 AM
What if he's nude in the last quarter of each game, or wears a freaking Whorns baseball cap, and yells "Texass Fight", every 10 seconds or so...or makes the horsepigs wear blonde ponytail wigs and bright crimson lipstick, and perform soccer exhibitions at the 50 yd line?

Then he'll surpass Barry, 'cause that would be funny as sh*t, to see a naked Bob Stoops yelling "Tejas fight!" as he beats Tejas from the opposite sideline while the tranny horsepigs watch the halftime soccer exhibition in awe. He'd probably even show Matthew McConaughey the goat.

Point - Stoops.

the_ouskull

12/25/2009, 12:33 PM
Then he'll surpass Barry, 'cause that would be funny as sh*t, to see a naked Bob Stoops yelling "Tejas fight!" as he beats Tejas from the opposite sideline while the tranny horsepigs watch the halftime soccer exhibition in awe. He'd probably even show Matthew McConaughey the goat.

Point - Stoops.

the_ouskullit was an either/or scenario. He wouldn't have to do all three, and certainly not simultaneously.(besides, the horsepigs would have to GIVE the soccer exhibition)

soonerloyal
12/25/2009, 01:03 PM
I don't see Bob Stoops doing or saying anything that even comes close to looking like he is, or would ever be, "idolizing Bama"...
:eek: :confused:

You can respect what a team is doing/has accomplished without idolizing them. I think that's what Stoops is doing: simply recognizing something that works, and can possibly work for us as well.

sooner ngintunr
12/25/2009, 01:20 PM
I don't see Bob Stoops doing or saying anything that even comes close to looking like he is, or would ever be, "idolizing Bama"...
:eek: :confused:

You can respect what a team is doing/has accomplished without idolizing them. I think that's what Stoops is doing: simply recognizing something that works, and can possibly work for us as well.

1 SEC title in the last 10 years?:confused:

Losing to UF last year just like OU did?:confused:

Yeah, 'Bama is having a great year so far, that tends to happen when you have more All Americans on your squad than any team ever has.

Sure Saban is a good coach but 'Bama is stacked this year.

I'm all for Stoops doing this, I just can't believe that 'Bama is that big of a deal in his decision to pursue this.

Blues1
12/25/2009, 01:37 PM
Hopefully we don't need some of this "Outside Motivation" heading into El Paso...?

Or Maybe just let Billy Sims live with the players for 24 hours a day until December 31st -- :)
I can hear Billy Now ---- BOOMER.....!!!

adoniijahsooner
12/25/2009, 02:04 PM
Wow! It seems everyone is missing the most important part of this whole thing.

Alabama began using the Pacific Institute after coach Nick Saban's first Crimson Tide team went 7-6 in 2007 with 10 player arrests over 18 months.

This program is designed to make these young men better people. It focuses more on the person than the "athlete". I found this quote from someone on another board.

When I was asked to develop a web site for The Pacific Institute eight years ago, I was given the opportunity to observe one of their training programs in action. This particular one involved inculcating people from depressed backgrounds with the idea that they can become personally successful. Perhaps a lot of college football players initially define success solely in terms of what they can accomplish in the sport. This program teaches them to broaden that definition. Here in Georgia folks talk about Alabama's recent success a lot. But they also rave about how ever since Saban arrived the thug factor has gone way down while the players' citizenship rating has skyrocketed. Everyone's really impressed by what's going on in Tuscaloosa these days--both on and off the field.

As far as football is concerned, Alabama was ahead of schedule last year, and they have improved every year since Saban took over.

Sabanball
12/25/2009, 02:22 PM
In addition to the Pacific Institute, Nick has brought in motivational speaker Dr. Kevin Elko to address our team several times to develop better mental conditioning and focus. Don't be surprised if this guy also shows up on your campus soon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zkd_sDjWu4

birddog
12/25/2009, 03:15 PM
nick's the old new kid on the block with his recent success. i, for one, have alot of respect for the way he speaks about his players. he may not see them as individuals, but he has them programmed to win on and off the field.

the real test is can he do it year in and year out like a few other programs (we are in there). he may end up in the same class as stoops 10 years from now where his techniques will stall and he'll have to visit Stoopsie about his state-of-the-art naturalist and spiritualist aspect of playing football :rolleyes: . it's cyclical people, cyclical.

Sabanball
12/25/2009, 04:40 PM
nick's the old new kid on the block with his recent success. i, for one, have alot of respect for the way he speaks about his players. he may not see them as individuals, but he has them programmed to win on and off the field.

the real test is can he do it year in and year out like a few other programs (we are in there). he may end up in the same class as stoops 10 years from now where his techniques will stall and he'll have to visit Stoopsie about his state-of-the-art naturalist and spiritualist aspect of playing football :rolleyes: . it's cyclical people, cyclical.

I wouldn't totally disagree. You could say the same thing about the wishbone--once everybody caught onto it, it had to be junked and replaced.

12/25/2009, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't totally disagree. You could say the same thing about the wishbone--once everybody caught onto it, it had to be junked and replaced.It became too hard to find a good passing QB who was willing to give his body up to the constant pounding a wishbone QB receives. For the wishbone to be effective, a reasonable number of passes have to be thrown, and completed, to keep the defense from loading up the DL for run-stopping. Switzer's last QB, Chas. Thompson, was a fairly short guy, and Switzer would hardly ever call passing plays with him at QB. That sealed our fate in the OB playing the U, after the '87 season.

Leroy Lizard
12/25/2009, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't totally disagree. You could say the same thing about the wishbone--once everybody caught onto it, it had to be junked and replaced.

If by "everybody" you mean Miami. And with the talent they had on defense, they caught on to a lot of offenses.

The main drawback to running the bone today is the practice needed, which has diminished under NCAA rules. Other than that, I see nothing that would prevent it from being effective today.

12/25/2009, 06:40 PM
If by "everybody" you mean Miami. And with the talent they had on defense, they caught on to a lot of offenses.

The main drawback to running the bone today is the practice needed, which has diminished under NCAA rules. Other than that, I see nothing that would prevent it from being effective today.GaTech runs option, mostly. I haven't watched them play, but they take on Iowa in the OB on the 5th of Jan. I'm gonna try to catch at least part of it.

UberSooner
12/25/2009, 07:23 PM
Bob needs only one thing: an OU spirit stick. Hold up the spirit stick right before the end of practice and proclaim: " Whoever can wrestle this spirit stick from my grasp has the soul of a warrior and is preordaigned (sic) to lead this team to a national championship!!!" My 4th grade coach pulled this ****e before the end of summer practice and I'll be damned, none of us could pull the stick from coach's herculean grasp. We sucked that year but damn we thought our coach was the badest SOB in the history of coaches. I never doubted he could whip my arse. That's what ole bob needs.

Leroy Lizard
12/25/2009, 07:38 PM
I would rather think my coach the biggest wuss of all in exchange for victories.

I put little stock in motivational techniques.

12/25/2009, 08:10 PM
I would rather think my coach the biggest wuss of all in exchange for victories.

I put little stock in motivational techniques.He could take a page from the whorns' operational manual, and find some help from the refs.

Sooner70
12/25/2009, 09:08 PM
Good players are what make good coaches.

No problem with Stoops borrowing, begging or cloning any "best practices" that work. I'm tired of losing in the post season & 7-5 sucks. I love Bob S & will stand behind him, because he's better than 98% of coaches in Div I, but would sure like to win a big 'un once in awhile, & turn this Texas thing around.

Leroy Lizard
12/25/2009, 09:23 PM
Do they really work? Based on what?

adoniijahsooner
12/25/2009, 11:44 PM
It worked for Bama. They have the tangible evidence to prove it, with the non-existent thug factor and the improved play every single year.

In dealing with young men that come from primarily urban backgrounds, you have to realize that a certain message is spoken to them every single day of their life. a message that when you are faced with certain choices encourages you to take either an easy route or take no route at all. It gives the Team a common theme and it provokes them to deal with other issues besides scoring TDS and making tackles. Take Donald Stephenson for example; Stoops said he was one of the top 3 lineman on the team, but he let the team down, because of his grades. I'm gathering that this institute would teach Donald to be accountable to himself and the importance of being successful in the classroom, and not taking this opportunity for granted. The football team benefits from Donald taking care of obstacles in his life without anyone speaking x's and o's.

Responsible people succeed in every aspect of their lives, and they are the ones that strengthen a team from the inside out. Guys like Sam and Gerald grew up in homes with a great support system, but some of these other players need certain thoughts rewired.

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2009, 02:11 AM
I'm gathering that this institute would teach Donald to be accountable to himself and the importance of being successful in the classroom, and not taking this opportunity for granted.

And how long does the motivational speech last? One or two days?

A player's personality and habits are built over a long period of time. I fail to see how anything spoken to them is going to make a long-term difference.

adoniijahsooner
12/26/2009, 09:17 AM
And how long does the motivational speech last? One or two days?

A player's personality and habits are built over a long period of time. I fail to see how anything spoken to them is going to make a long-term difference.

Throughout the season

The News spells out testimonials for the program from Alabama players, who noted that representatives have been with them throughout the season.

soonerloyal
12/26/2009, 09:35 AM
I'd like to see Stoops and the team take advantage of having the Marines and their Armory right next to the stadium. You think Schmitty works 'em hard...those Devil Dogs could teach true lessons on Honor, Courage and Commitment - teamwork, pushing beyond limits and endurance, the warrior ethos and winning mindset, not to mention hard-core PT workouts.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/26/2009, 11:01 AM
CaliBorn,

Don't want to hijack your thread, but, looking at your sig....I can't help but wonder if Tiger Woods is a "good friend" of yours.

HAHA no no, just a buddy who had quite an interesting Thanksgiving. The type that only happen while still in college and will not soon be forgotten.

StoopTroup
12/26/2009, 11:59 AM
Wp9ENW_ANow

delhalew
12/26/2009, 12:12 PM
This team has had a discipline problem. I'm glad Stoops is willing to try new things to fix it.

delhalew
12/26/2009, 12:38 PM
Wow that video isn't ghey at all.

cvsooner
12/26/2009, 01:34 PM
I'm for whatever works. But I can't get the 'positive thinking' speaker scenes out of 'The Natural' out of my brain, and Robert Redford asking, "What does this have to do with playing baseball?"

boomermagic
12/26/2009, 11:00 PM
Switzer knew how to motivate his players/team.. Bob just needs to talk to THE KING..

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2009, 11:30 PM
Throughout the season

Based on what?

Switzer knew how to motivate his players/team.

Swizer was one coach who put little stock into this motivational crap.

delhalew
12/26/2009, 11:43 PM
Why don't you go down there and chat up the players Leroy, because were focus is concerned, there is a chink in the armor. I'm just glad Stoops is focused on solving it.

Half a Hundred
12/26/2009, 11:44 PM

He also was a natural motivator who understood where most of his players came from, since he came from a similar deprived background.

boomermagic
12/26/2009, 11:59 PM
Based on what?

Where have you been ? Anyone, I mean ANYONE who knows anything about Barry Switzer Knows without a doubt that Barry was the best motivating coach in college football bar none.. Barry is modest to a fault..

murray1430
12/26/2009, 11:59 PM
I listened to Saban at a coaches clinic last summer. He did mention something about this briefly during his talk.

boomermagic
12/27/2009, 12:02 AM
This team has had a discipline problem. I'm glad Stoops is willing to try new things to fix it.

I Agree that the team has a discipline problem and I am glad as well that Bob is trying to do something about it..

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2009, 12:20 AM
Why don't you go down there and chat up the players Leroy, because were focus is concerned, there is a chink in the armor. I'm just glad Stoops is focused on solving it.

I agree there may be a chink in the armor, and I'm all for trying to solve it. I just don't see how we can solve the problem through motivational techniques.

Barry had it right: Once the ball is kicked in the air, all the motivational crap goes out the window. It come down to preparation.

Is there any harm in seeking a motivational solution that doesn't really work? Yes, if you rely on it.

He also was a natural motivator who understood where most of his players came from, since he came from a similar deprived background.

I think he was good at talking players into coming to OU. But as for pep talking them into playing well, I doubt it. He was simply a great coach with great players.

Where have you been ? Anyone, I mean ANYONE who knows anything about Barry Switzer Knows without a doubt that Barry was the best motivating coach in college football bar none.. Barry is modest to a fault..

Modesty is not one of Switzer's traits. He takes credit for the great things he did, and always has. And I have no problem with that.

Rather, I think Barry was honest to a fault. He knew what it took to win: Good skills coaching, practice, good decision-making, practice, hiring great coordinators and letting them do their job, practice, great players, and practice.

Pep talks? Meh.

OUmd
12/27/2009, 10:16 AM

How can a new set of players every few years "catch onto coach's motivational techniques"? These players aren't with Bob for many, many years.

I have mixed emotions about this. One part of me says good thinking to Bob. The other part says why are we paying Stoops millions of dollars to have the University pay for someone else to motivate the team? I wish I could do that with my job.

12/27/2009, 12:31 PM
How can a new set of players every few years "catch onto coach's motivational techniques"? These players aren't with Bob for many, many years.

I have mixed emotions about this. One part of me says good thinking to Bob. The other part says why are we paying Stoops millions of dollars to have the University pay for someone else to motivate the team? I wish I could do that with my job.Investment, baby! If Bob can actually learn some things that are helpful, and improve performance, while teaching Saban some little secrets about tx vulnerabilities, results would more than pay for the trip to Tuscaloosa.