PDA

View Full Version : Sun Bowl to Oklahoman: Drop Dead

BU'77
12/23/2009, 06:33 PM
I live in El Paso. I know perceptions are perceptions but believe me: it's safe. The U.S. side is not affected. Just stay on the U.S. side and you'll have a great time. Hope to see a lot of Sooner fans!

http://epmediagroup.com/features/1089-tribblog-sun-bowl-to-oklahoman-drop-dead

The El Paso Brut Sun Bowl has sold out more quickly than ever in its 76-year history, officials said today. "It's not our first sellout, but it’s the earliest we’ve ever sold out," said Bernie Olivas, Sun Bowl executive director.

The game between the Oklahoma University Sooners and the Stanford University Cardinal at the scenic Sun Bowl, just yards from the U.S.-Mexico border, is set for Dec. 31. The last smattering of tickets sold today, Olivas said. "I guess we’re getting some pretty good national attention," he said.

The sellout comes less than a week after the Oklahoma City daily The Oklahoman, ran a story about how the raging violence in Juarez was keeping many Sooner fans from buying tickets to the game in El Paso, a stones-throw away from the deadly Mexican city. "On a NewsOK.com online poll, almost half of the more than 800 respondents who aren’t going to the Sun Bowl noted their reasoning was they don’t feel safe with all the violence happening across the border from El Paso," the newspaper reported. Even some of the OU players were apparently apprehensive about traveling to El Paso, which despite its proximity to Juarez, has repeatedly been ranked among the safest cities in the nation. The Oklahoman quoted senior cornerback Brian Jackson: "They should have moved the bowl game. It’s the well-being. You’ve got to think about our well-being first, don’t you?”

Olivas said the draw of the potential brawl between OU, which played in the national championship game last year, and Stanford, which brings Heisman runner-up Toby Gerhart, outweighed perceived safety concerns. "This year, everybody seems to like this matchup, and I don’t blame them," he said. He can't tell yet how many Sooner devotees bought tickets, but Olivas said all football fans would be safe in El Paso. "As long as everybody stays on this side of the border, I don't anticipate any problems at all," he said.

Widescreen
12/23/2009, 08:09 PM
I don't really see anything in that article that says anything like "drop dead".

tanjou
12/23/2009, 08:38 PM
Oklahoman plays on it's readers' irrational fear of brown people. News at 10. Wait, that will only reinforce the Oklahoman, nevermind.

Interesting piece about El Paso's incredibly low crime-rate specifically, and similar cities generally (http://reason.com/archives/2009/07/06/the-el-paso-miracle). Attendees of the Sun Bowl will be in one of the safest bowl environments this year. Have fun, relax, enjoy the game.

Widescreen
12/23/2009, 09:31 PM
Oklahoman plays on it's readers' irrational fear of brown people.

:rolleyes:

King Barry's Back
12/23/2009, 11:59 PM
Oklahoman plays on it's readers' irrational fear of brown people.

More like "Oklahoman plays on it's readers' irrational fear of other places."

When i was kid, Oklahomans were paranoid of traveling to NYC because they thought they would at least see two or three people get mugged AND shot while they were visiting Manhattan, and when I moved to DC in 1995 other Oklahomans warned me I was likely to get murdered if I stepped out of my house.

Oklahomans are pretty insular. It is what it is.

Crucifax Autumn
12/24/2009, 12:49 AM
You know, I don't actually see the "drop dead" in the article, but assuming that's the intention of the story doesn't that just mean the Sun Bowl feels the same way about the DO as everyone else?

Blues1
12/24/2009, 01:56 AM
It's too bad (or sad) almost ALL Border towns in Mexico are now dangerous - Back in the "old days" borders towns had some charm....

TJ was great for real leather exotic cowboy boots or a cheap trip to a dentist - What was once a nice attraction to "The Sun Bowl" or San Diego is now a negative --- Or course some parts of downtown LA is almost looking like TJ these days....

Maybe it is time to Move The Sun Bowl...?

Crucifax Autumn
12/24/2009, 02:45 AM
Not sure why since El Paso is safer than lots of bowl locations.

HBick
12/24/2009, 03:39 AM
There is a reason the Oklahoman was rated the worst newspaper in the country by the CJR. This is another one to add to the list.

Short list for those interested, according to the Colombia Journal Review
1. Prayer on front page (applies to newspapers in major cities)
2. J Carlson
3. Subpar writing overall
4. J Carlson
5. This recent article about the Sun Bowl,
6. and J Carlson

madillsoonerfan5353
12/24/2009, 09:20 AM
There is a reason the Oklahoman was rated the worst newspaper in the country by the CJR. This is another one to add to the list.

I don't see a problem with this? That's what's wrong with this nation today everyone wants to GOD out of everything!!! :mad:

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/24/2009, 09:22 AM
I don't see a problem with this? That's what's wrong with this nation today everyone wants to GOD out of everything!!! :mad:

I agree, the prayer doesn't make the newspaper bad. If you don't like it, don't read it.

oudivesherpa
12/24/2009, 09:23 AM
^^^^^ Did you mention J Carlson?

oudivesherpa
12/24/2009, 09:24 AM

2. J Carlson
3. Subpar writing overall
4. J Carlson
5. This recent article about the Sun Bowl,
6. and J Carlson

Did you mention J Carlson?

Widescreen
12/24/2009, 09:37 AM
I agree, the prayer doesn't make the newspaper bad. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Isn't separation of church and newspaper in the constitution? Or at least the right to not be offended by something? ;)

soonerborn30
12/24/2009, 08:36 PM
No, I think you're thinking of the inalienable right to happiness.

rawlingsHOH
12/25/2009, 12:38 AM
Not sure why since El Paso is safer than lots of bowl locations.

Or... there is some corruption in the system, and the crime statistics being reported there may not be on the up-and-up. Corruption in law enforcement? Near the Mexican border? Nah, never!

Sooner13
12/25/2009, 01:29 AM
Or... there is some corruption in the system, and the crime statistics being reported there may not be on the up-and-up. Corruption in law enforcement? Near the Mexican border? Nah, never!

this

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/25/2009, 02:34 AM
Just don't go into Whorez looking to score some happy pills, or carrying a wad of cash, while wearing OU paraphernalia, and complaining about the sanitation, and you might survive the experience.

badger
12/25/2009, 10:04 AM
Not that I'm a fan of the Oklahoman, but their article on Sun Bowl tickets interviewed the El Paso mayor, telling the people of Oklahoma that his city was safe and cited very good reasons why it was. The article seemed to say that while some people are afraid (including Brian Jackson), here are reasons why you shouldn't be - crime statistics, words from the El Paso mayor, the large presence of U.S. law enforcement agencies, etc.

The Sun Bowl selling out article just mentions that the Oklahoman brought up the fears of some would-be travelers, saying that there obviously wasn't a lot of fearful fans, since the game sold out quickly.

If you're looking for a bad Oklahoman article, this isn't it. If you're looking for an article trashing the Oklahoman, this isn't it.

If you are desperate for an example of both, here (http://newsok.com/article/3131543) is a bad Oklahoman article... and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E) is the response to it calling it bad.

:D Merry Christmas.

o0Dan0o
12/25/2009, 12:17 PM

Bad is obviously subjective, and there is a significant portion of the population that would consider a payer on the front page of a paper in bad taste. Though given the Oklahoman's reader base, I think it's probably perfectly fine.
Dan

bluedogok
12/25/2009, 03:12 PM
It's not just Oklahomans, it can afflict people anywhere.
I have known quite a few Texans who think the same way and a friend from NYC said his family (lifetime NYC residents) couldn't believe that he would move to Oklahoma where bands of Indians still roamed...he said they actually thought that.

What is on the "news" anymore is about 95% sensationalism anyway.

TUSooner
12/26/2009, 12:05 PM
My guess is that many college FB players spent most of their young lives in cities not half as safe as El Paso or even Juarez.

mightysooner
12/26/2009, 02:22 PM
More like "Oklahoman plays on it's readers' irrational fear of other places."

When i was kid, Oklahomans were paranoid of traveling to NYC because they thought they would at least see two or three people get mugged AND shot while they were visiting Manhattan, and when I moved to DC in 1995 other Oklahomans warned me I was likely to get murdered if I stepped out of my house.

^^^^^ This! And what's up with that?????

I just moved out of OKC last July by myself after growing up there and I can say that Okies are the most insular minded people I've ever been around and I AM an Okie. Socially, geographically, and otherwise. If it's outside the borders of Oklahoma, or the small group of people they've known their entire lives, they know nothing about it nor are they interested. Neither my mother nor my father have ever been on a plane and live their entire lives in a 10 square mile perimeter (they're retired). My sister just got on her first plane at the age of 40, two years ago. Every time I've traveled I've gotten a lecture about how dangerous the world is out there and how careful I need to be (cuz that's how it is on the teevee). My friends back home were shocked that I decided I wanted to live somewhere else when I moved last July and they still can't wrap their minds around it. I just don't understand the prevailing mentality back home and where it comes from. It's like Oklahoma is some sort of sanctuary from the big, bad world. It's not.

Soonerfan88
12/26/2009, 02:36 PM
It's not an Oklahoma thing, it's an everywhere thing. There are people in the surrounding suburbs of KC that have never been to the other side of the city because it's <gasp> another state and some don't even venture into downtown KC. Mention places in Missouri besides St. Louis, Columbia, & Jeff City and many have no clue where or what you are talking about.

When I lived in Houston, I knew more about the city than those who were born there because I actually got out and took advantage of all the city had to offer. Yes, Texas is a big state but several I talked to couldn't tell you more about San Antonio than it's somewhere west on I-10. Folks all across the country can tell similar stories. Many people just aren't concerned about anything farther than the end of their neighborhood.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/26/2009, 02:40 PM
It's not an Oklahoma thing, it's an everywhere thing. There are people in the surrounding suburbs of KC that have never been to the other side of the city because it's <gasp> another state and some don't even venture into downtown KC. Mention places in Missouri besides St. Louis, Columbia, & Jeff City and many have no clue where or what you are talking about.

When I lived in Houston, I knew more about the city than those who were born there because I actually got out and took advantage of all the city had to offer. Yes, Texas is a big state but several I talked to couldn't tell you more about San Antonio than it's somewhere west on I-10. Folks all across the country can tell similar stories. Many people just aren't concerned about anything farther than the end of their neighborhood.I was that way, as a kid. My dad jerked me out of my shell when I was 12 yrs old, and we moved to(of all places)Venezuela. That kick in the butt changed my outlook on travel, the world, other cultures, etc. Good old USA(even in troubled times such as now), and esp Oklahoma will always be special, of course.

bluesmagoo
12/26/2009, 04:06 PM
El Paso is the 2nd safest large city in the USA. Just stay on our side of the border, and lock your car. The people are friendly.

delhalew
12/26/2009, 04:13 PM
To be fair to those who always offer warning. I've seen first hand how dangerous the world is (Murders, accidental death, and incredible violence).
A person must be cautious, that includes all you fortunate enough to attend the Sun Bowl. I would prefer you all come back.

tanjou
12/26/2009, 07:19 PM
This is the best messageboard on the internet.