PDA

View Full Version : Your Worst Year Being a Sooner Fan....

Blues1
12/23/2009, 02:06 PM
Look on the postive Side....from a negative --- :)
Being 7 and 5 with a chance for 8 and 5 feels pretty damn good
IF you look back at your worst year being a Sooner Fan
~~~ Just sayin' ~~~ :)

I know a lot of you talk about those years in the 90's ~~
but here is my worst year Being a Sooner Fan..... :(

1960: 3-6-1 (This year caught ever Sooner Fan Off guard)
Coach:
Charles B. "Bud" Wilkinson

L
09-24-1960
Northwestern (IL)
Norman, OK

W
10-01-1960
Pittsburgh (PA)
Norman, OK

L
10-08-1960
Texas
Dallas, TX

T
10-15-1960
Kansas
Lawrence, KS

W
10-22-1960
Kansas St.
Norman, OK

L
10-29-1960
Colorado
Boulder, CO

L
11-05-1960
Iowa St.
Ames, IA

L
11-12-1960
Missouri
Norman, OK

L
11-19-1960
Nebraska
Norman, OK

W
11-26-1960
Oklahoma St.
Stillwater, OK

Even in Bud's worst year we still beat Osu.... :)

Partial Qualifier
12/23/2009, 02:31 PM
Hafta go with 1996. That Tulsa game, OMG. I remember the OT win over Texas but it didn't make up for the fact that OU was undeniably sucky.

Salt City Sooner
12/23/2009, 03:25 PM
Hafta go with 1996. That Tulsa game, OMG. I remember the OT win over Texas but it didn't make up for the fact that OU was undeniably sucky.
x 2. I still shake my head when I think about it, but the team that currently has the longest home winning streak in the nation didn't win one single game on Owen Field that year.

SPuL
12/23/2009, 03:26 PM
Since I have only been a Sooner fan since the year after Miami won (2001?), this IS my worst year being a Sooner fan. More so because of how high my expectations were coming into this year (regardless if it was right to expect that much or not).

delhalew
12/23/2009, 03:31 PM

I can't top that...jeebus.

SoonerAtKU
12/23/2009, 03:32 PM
1996 was my first year at OU. I was a National Merit Scholar and was actually embarrassed to have to walk out onto the field, knowing the quality of the team that year. Sad times, but it also means I got to be there for the beginning of the Stoops era including 2000.

You got to give to get, I suppose.

fadada1
12/23/2009, 03:34 PM
1997 - was my first year back at OU after my stint in the navy. first football season since the '91 season. echos of my cussing can still be heard on jenkins avenue, commuter parking lot, crosswalk on lindsey, and cate center after the osu game.

badger
12/23/2009, 03:47 PM
I haven't had any bad years (Sooner fan since 2000ish, when I applied to come to OU).

soonervegas
12/23/2009, 03:56 PM
1992/1993 season - The football team went 5-4-2 and the basketball team went to the NIT and finished 20-12. We were nearing the end of both the Tubbs and Gibbs eras at that point.

This year could give it a run for it's money depending on how the bowl ends up and what Capel's brats do from here on out.

TheUnnamedSooner
12/23/2009, 04:30 PM
1996 was awful. I too remember how bad that Tulsa game was. ugh.

mikeelikee
12/23/2009, 04:33 PM
My worst season had to be one of the bleak, I mean Blake years. Pick one1 Blues1, I enjoyed your recap of the 1960 season. That Missouri game on November 12th was my first game to attend, as a 9-year-old, with my Dad. I still remember it fairly well. McClellan scored for us, and we took a 6-0 lead early in the game (missed the extra point), then Missouri got it rolling. I didn't care so much that we lost, I was in awe of Owen Field, et. al.

goingoneight
12/23/2009, 04:53 PM
1996 was so bad it was almost comical. Almost. :mad:

Big D Sooner
12/23/2009, 05:02 PM
... is better than any year being a Poke fan.

CrimsonCommando
12/23/2009, 05:16 PM
I'd have to say my alcohol and Sega induced retardation sophomore year, 1991-92, my grades sure reflected it. As for football, recall Gibbs termination led to the hiring of the savior of Sooner football, Howard Smellsofbourbon. Any year the Schooner flips over and injures the Roughneck queen on national tv is the "worst season ever."

PLaw
12/24/2009, 10:37 AM
I have a different POV. Yeah, there were some years that were down right disappointing and embarrassing, but the worst years were the ones that ripped my heart out and stomped that sucker flat. Years where we were one play, one quarter, one half, one game away from an elusive NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Here are a few that quickly come to mind:

1971 - Can somebody tackle Rodgers? Jack overthrows Harrison by 6 ft for the go ahead score.

1976 - The epitomy of the "we just need to show up and collect the OB hardware". Holtz schools the party hearty Barry.

1978 - After a courageous drive and SOONER MAGIC filling the air, the greatness put the ball on the ground at the Nebbish 3.

1984 - See 1976 replay. Huskies obviously better than Arky, but nobody respected the PAC-10 (8?)

2003 - TGOWWDNS can't say that I'm disappointed that we lost to one of the great college teams of all time, but how we lost has had a detrimental and lasting impact on the program. We got punched and didn't punch back - toughness left the program that day.

Granted there were more than a few superlatives in each of these seasons, but coming so close to National Championship makes these the worst for me.

BOOMER

IslandSooner
12/24/2009, 11:45 AM
For me it was 2003, I took my son to see his first Sooner Game in K.C. Just to see the ars-whipping put on by K-State, not to mention the non-sportsmanship show put on by the K-State fans. Then, we went to New Orleans, which again ended up sucking, but we did learn that the K-State fans were not as bad as first thought. 2003 was a great year to be a Sooner Fan (obviously) but I just had a couple bad experiences....Merry Christmas and BOOMER SOONER.........

StoopTroup
12/24/2009, 03:39 PM
I can tell you the worst year and the worst day.

In Norman against Nebraska. 1996 John Blake. OU - 21 Nebraska - 73. I stayed to the last tick on the clock. It made what happened in Norman in 2000 when Frank Solich and Eric Crouch got a taste of Bob Stoops brand of football....well...it was a very sweet day for me as a Sooner Fan.

panhandlesooner
12/24/2009, 03:45 PM
went to my first OU game in 1950 and have never had a bad year! some just better than others!

StoopTroup
12/24/2009, 03:52 PM
went to my first OU game in 1950 and have never had a bad year! some just better than others!

I'll agree with ya on that....that 1996 game was rough....but I still stayed for every second.

soonerborn30
12/24/2009, 08:26 PM
I remember that game. I remember being so ANGRY they were able to do that to us. I also remember thinking "eff you Nebraska, this is what you get" when we beat them 4 years later. Very sweet indeed.

Blues1
12/25/2009, 12:38 AM

This Poster is "The Man" ~~~~ :)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/25/2009, 03:29 AM
x 2. I still shake my head when I think about it, but the team that currently has the longest home winning streak in the nation didn't win one single game on Owen Field that year.After suffering through the Gibbs 6 years, then being all excited about what great things Schnellenberger was going to do to reinvigorate OU, and the massive disappointment of his year of coaching the Sooners, I was NUMBED OUT during the Blake yrs. Hardly even paid attention.

I was still barely paying attention during Stoops first year...then we lost to a Mississippi school at the end. Needless to say, I was SHOCKED when we brutalized the whorns in 2000, and went on to win it all.
My college days at OU didn't provide many football thrills, either. I was there during the 1963-66 football seasons. The domer raped us in 1966, by 38-0, shortly after we had finally beaten TX, for the first time while I was in college. That was the Jim McKenzie team-his only yr.

OUstud
12/25/2009, 03:09 PM
I don't really remember a lot about the '96 season, but '97 has a "special" place in my heart. A&M 51, OU 7 for starters. Also, me as an 8 year old trying to figure out what the hell was going on in Lawrence as BBS tried to explain.

birddog
12/25/2009, 03:31 PM
well, i went to osu during the blake years and went with some osu fans to norman. we were shutout 12-0 and i had to go back to the stool for another 2 years and it's all anybody ever talked about.

does this story beat the andrea doria survivor story? can i move into the apt. now?

ouflak
12/26/2009, 12:32 PM
1996 (and a big chunk of the Blake years though I liked the guy). I'm still amazed, as I was at the time, at how such good athletes could let opposing teams, whose own athletes were so clearly out-classed, score seemingly at will. I never understood it.

Atleast not until Stoops came along and actually did something with those athletes.

prrriiide
12/26/2009, 01:07 PM
For me, it's 1988, off-season. Proby. Rape. Drugs. Guns. Scandal. Sports Ilustrated cover. It was awful. Without that, the nightmare of the 90's doesn't happen. No Smellslikebourbon, no Blake the Flake. No 73-21. No twister mat. 1988-the year that led to a decade of embarassment.

12/26/2009, 01:22 PM
For me, it's 1988, off-season. Proby. Rape. Drugs. Guns. Scandal. Sports Ilustrated cover. It was awful. Without that, the nightmare of the 90's doesn't happen. No Smellslikebourbon, no Blake the Flake. No 73-21. No twister mat. 1988-the year that led to a decade of embarassment.Very good point. The King was in trouble. Too bad Gary Gibbs didn't work out for the Sooners.

PLaw
12/26/2009, 08:55 PM
Very good point. The King was in trouble. Too bad Gary Gibbs didn't work out for the Sooners.

Given the hand he was dealt, Gary Gibbs worked out very well for the Sooners. With the NCAA itching to nail OU with the death penalty, Gary kept the ship upright. Probably the worst possible circumstances to take the healm - only somebody that truly loved Oklahoma University would have stepped into that mess. God bless Gary Gibbs.

BOOMER

1890MilesToNorman
12/26/2009, 08:57 PM
My worst year as a Sooner fan was 1959 because I wasn't born until 1960, it's been great since then.

King Barry's Back
12/26/2009, 11:36 PM
For me it was 2003, I took my son to see his first Sooner Game in K.C. Just to see the ars-whipping put on by K-State, not to mention the non-sportsmanship show put on by the K-State fans. Then, we went to New Orleans, which again ended up sucking, but we did learn that the K-State fans were not as bad as first thought. 2003 was a great year to be a Sooner Fan (obviously) but I just had a couple bad experiences....Merry Christmas and BOOMER SOONER.........

That's pretty bad. How's this for suckage?

I flew home from Brussels to attend both of those games. BTW, that was the end of my 30+ year streak of attending at least one game in person, no matter where I lived in the world.

After having my heart ripped out like that, I decided I could listen on internet radio. Which I was fortunate enough to do to get to hear the Boise St game live while in Italy. But that's another post.

King Barry's Back
12/26/2009, 11:41 PM
Given the hand he was dealt, Gary Gibbs worked out very well for the Sooners. With the NCAA itching to nail OU with the death penalty, Gary kept the ship upright. Probably the worst possible circumstances to take the healm - only somebody that truly loved Oklahoma University would have stepped into that mess. God bless Gary Gibbs.

BOOMER

I really disagree on this one. That OU program was a couple years away from playing in the National Championship game. Everybody expected that it would keep playing for them. Also remember that OU owned the Big 8 back then, and had pretty owned the conference -- excepting down years for the Sooners -- since the late 40s.

I do not believe that OU was a pity case and that only someone that "truly loved" OU would have taken the job. We may not have had our pick of a coach, but there would have been plenty of candidates to consider.

As Coach Switzer was forced out mid-Summer, and we had to promote from w/i, we'll never know for sure.

As for kudos to Coach Gibbs -- the man is a true gentleman, and a great football mind. Let's leave it at that.

12/27/2009, 01:24 AM
I have a different POV. Yeah, there were some years that were down right disappointing and embarrassing, but the worst years were the ones that ripped my heart out and stomped that sucker flat. Years where we were one play, one quarter, one half, one game away from an elusive NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Here are a few that quickly come to mind:

1971 - Can somebody tackle Rodgers? Jack overthrows Harrison by 6 ft for the go ahead score.

1976 - The epitomy of the "we just need to show up and collect the OB hardware". Holtz schools the party hearty Barry.

1978 - After a courageous drive and SOONER MAGIC filling the air, the greatness put the ball on the ground at the Nebbish 3.

1984 - See 1976 replay. Huskies obviously better than Arky, but nobody respected the PAC-10 (8?)

2003 - TGOWWDNS can't say that I'm disappointed that we lost to one of the great college teams of all time, but how we lost has had a detrimental and lasting impact on the program. We got punched and didn't punch back - toughness left the program that day.

Granted there were more than a few superlatives in each of these seasons, but coming so close to National Championship makes these the worst for me.

BOOMERWhat you're calling the '76 season was actually the '77, I do believe.

12/27/2009, 01:32 AM
I really disagree on this one. That OU program was a couple years away from playing in the National Championship game. Everybody expected that it would keep playing for them. Also remember that OU owned the Big 8 back then, and had pretty owned the conference -- excepting down years for the Sooners -- since the late 40s.

I do not believe that OU was a pity case and that only someone that "truly loved" OU would have taken the job. We may not have had our pick of a coach, but there would have been plenty of candidates to consider.

As Coach Switzer was forced out mid-Summer, and we had to promote from w/i, we'll never know for sure.

As for kudos to Coach Gibbs -- the man is a true gentleman, and a great football mind. Let's leave it at that.Well said. I didn't claim Gibbs was disliked. It was just having 6 yrs of a mediocre program that was so damaging. During that time, both the nebbish and colorado strengthened their programs, and ALWAYS beat us. And Tx beat us every yr but once during that time...UGHHH!

SicEmBaylor
12/27/2009, 07:09 AM
yo

PLaw
12/27/2009, 09:26 AM
What you're calling the '76 season was actually the '77, I do believe.

You are correct - OB played on 1/1/78 at the conclusion of the'77 season.

BOOMER

PLaw
12/27/2009, 09:34 AM

And, we were only a couple of weeks/months away from guns blazing, rapes, and white lines getting cut at Wilkinson Hall. We were fortunate that we had somebody like Coach Gibbs and not the Shnelly who was only looking out for his own best self interes.

BOOMER

SoonerMom2
12/27/2009, 01:25 PM
Texas A&M game in 1997 (51-0) when it had snowed, was cold, and windy. Made my kids stay through the whole game when we were getting clobbered, but I figured if the team could play, we could stay and support them. It was our first season of living in Norman.

Everytime A&M comes to town and gets throttled by OU I enjoy every minute after suffering through that game.

Sitting through those games of 1997 and 1998 sure makes every season of the Stoops era a lot more special. The fact that we lost our Heisman quarterback, Sam Bradford, and All-American tight end Gresham along with countless other injuries this year and still won every home game is a testament to the home field advantage of Owen Field. If we had a good field goal kicker, some of those games might have been different. Sure like the latest kicker a lot better.

Seeing Okie State not score in the last game made up for a lot of the rest of the season. Defense was AWESOME! No team can go through the kind of injuries we had this year and be at the top of their game. A lot of young players got a ton of experience so really looking forward to the Bowl Game and 2010!

Blues1
12/27/2009, 02:13 PM
Texas A&M game in 1997 (51-0) when it had snowed, was cold, and windy. Made my kids stay through the whole game when we were getting clobbered, but I figured if the team could play, we could stay and support them. It was our first season of living in Norman.

Everytime A&M comes to town and gets throttled by OU I enjoy every minute after suffering through that game.

Sitting through those games of 1997 and 1998 sure makes every season of the Stoops era a lot more special. The fact that we lost our Heisman quarterback, Sam Bradford, and All-American tight end Gresham along with countless other injuries this year and still won every home game is a testament to the home field advantage of Owen Field. If we had a good field goal kicker, some of those games might have been different. Sure like the latest kicker a lot better.

Seeing Okie State not score in the last game made up for a lot of the rest of the season. Defense was AWESOME! No team can go through the kind of injuries we had this year and be at the top of their game. A lot of young players got a ton of experience so really looking forward to the Bowl Game and 2010!

Sounds Like Your ID Name should be "SUPER SoonerMom2" ~~~ Keep Rockin' ~~ :)

PLaw
12/27/2009, 04:41 PM
Sounds Like Your ID Name should be "SUPER SoonerMom2" ~~~ Keep Rockin' ~~ :)

Better find out if she has a daughter - I couldn't imagine marrying into a better situation.

Boomer

OUmillenium
12/27/2009, 09:46 PM
1996...unbelievable suckitude...but we still beat *

Early 90s were painful cuz we always thought we had a chance for an MNC.

Late 90s were simply numbing.

tanjou
12/27/2009, 09:50 PM
1995. When S chnellenberger resigned, a lot of potential was lost and the truly dark period of the nineties began.

The dude made some dumb remarks, but had a hell of a track record and was placed into one of the best programs ever, and was run off. Alas.

SoonerBorn68
12/27/2009, 11:01 PM
1996, 1997, 1998. Period. 15 players on the field sometimes, other times 9. It was a total embarrassment not only to get beaten but it looked like we didn't even know HOW to play football.

I can handle losing seasons, bad luck, etc. but not the total CF that were those 3 seasons. Blake can FO.

12/27/2009, 11:34 PM
1995. When S chnellenberger resigned, a lot of potential was lost and the truly dark period of the nineties began.

The dude made some dumb remarks, but had a hell of a track record and was placed into one of the best programs ever, and was run off. Alas.Howie acted like a fool when he was at OU.