PDA

View Full Version : What does the bowl outcome do for you?

Collier11
12/22/2009, 11:19 PM
Ive been thinking about the mighty Sun Bowl, while it is very disappointing I am still excited, hell I get to root for my Sooners one more time and that in itself makes it worth it. Ive thought out all of the scenarios and even though in the scheme of things this game really doesnt mean alot, I think statements can be made...This is how I think the game will effect perception, whatya think?

Win big- If we go in against a motivated Stanford team who has beaten good teams and play well, win by 14+ I will be very impressed. This will give us a shot at ending the season ranked which doesnt mean much other than pride but I still want the ranking. It will also be a good sign for me going into next year, we need some momentum to build back up.

Win close- If we look sloppy and win a close game all we are going to hear is what we have heard all year, this team has too many injuries and has persevered despite the bad luck to end the season on a good note but it will feel luke warm to me as another unimpressive game played by our beloved Sooners.

Lose close- Stoops still cant win the close game, big disappointment of a season just got worse, cant even win the Sun Bowl.

Lose big- Stoops cant get his players up for a bowl game, doesnt prepare them well enough, possible attitude issues, bad coaching, etc.

Leroy Lizard
12/22/2009, 11:39 PM
Now, here is how the rest of the country will view it.

Win big -- Stanford lost its QB and so this is an example of a big powerhouse beating up on a team playing in its first bowl game in a long time. Obviously this was not a big game.

Win close --- OU struggles to win in bowl games and even had a hard time putting away lowly Stanford, playing without its starting QB.

Lose close --- Don't even want to think about it.

Lose big --- Don't even want to think about it.

Soonerus
12/22/2009, 11:44 PM
Its all irrelevant ...

Boooom!
12/22/2009, 11:48 PM
I personally dont care what anyone else thinks. What I want to see is a good glimpse of what to expect next year.

TUSooner
12/23/2009, 08:15 AM
Any way it falls, it won't affect me at all for more than a few days. If we lose in a tense or ugly game, I may cringe a few times in those days when i think of it; if we win impressively, I'll smile a few times. Then I'll probably forget all about it until around August. :)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/23/2009, 09:32 AM
I want the players to have some pride, and want them to feel good about the off-season. A W would help with both recruiting, and team prep for next season. Another gawdem loss would make me feel like a democrat, or a domer, or an aggy.

soonerborn30
12/23/2009, 09:34 AM
As disappointing as the Sun Bowl is, there is a lesson to be learned from it, courtesy of *. They won the Alamo (?) Bowl a couple years ago against a terrible Iowa team. The next year they won a BCS game against tOSU, this year they're in the NCG. A bowl win, even a minor one, can do wonders for momentum going into next season.

I know '05 and '06 are not great examples of this in our recent history, but this is a different team altogether.

Boomer.....
12/23/2009, 09:36 AM
A win stops our bowl slide, even though this isn't a good bowl, and gives the team confidence going into next season.

OUDoc
12/23/2009, 09:42 AM
I want to win because that's what Oklahoma does.
The recent bowl losses suck, but the losing streak won't last forever.

tanjou
12/23/2009, 09:50 AM
Rodney King didn't really feel anything after the first 30 baton strikes or so.

12/23/2009, 10:07 AM
Rodney King didn't really feel anything after the first 30 baton strikes or so.So...neither will Gerhart?

C&CDean
12/23/2009, 10:38 AM
It allows us to finally change the Bowl Wins number up on the stadium. That number that's up there has moss growing on it.

adoniijahsooner
12/23/2009, 10:42 AM
If we win I will be excited about the spring. If we lose, I will be excited about the spring.

MrJimBeam
12/23/2009, 10:56 AM
If we win I'm gettin' soooooooooooo drunk.

If we lose I'm gettin' sooooooooooooo drunk.

MiccoMacey
12/23/2009, 10:58 AM
At what point do you say, "It's just another loss".

We were not a great team this year. At times, we weren't even a good team this year. Sure there were a million factors why that was...and I don't care. The bottom line is we weren't the team we're used to.

If we lose big to Stanford, it'll feeel like the whole team mailed it in already. If we lose a close game to Stanford, it'll feel like the other losses we've had this season...it sucks, but it's our "down" year. If we win, regardless of score, it'll feel good because...well, we won.

BoulderSooner79
12/23/2009, 11:33 AM
I'll lose about a microseconds sleep over what others think. It's another chance to watch OU football and I welcome it. 90% of positives will have happened before kickoff (the extra practice) and I trust Stoops will take full advantage. The best outcome -- a win of course. I'll always take a big win - but a close, hard fought win (not sloppy) could go a long way. Plant that seed in the returning players heads that they can get the critical stop or execute that must-score drive down the stretch. If we lose, crap, at least it's an early game out here and I'll be over it by dinner.

badger
12/23/2009, 11:42 AM
If we win, I'll be happy, cuz it'll be the first time since 2005 we won a bowl game.

If we lose, it won't hurt too much, because we've endured a lot of losses this season, but injury-wise and score-wise, and it's not like we haven't lost bowl games before :(

JLEW1818
12/23/2009, 11:48 AM
i want momentum

beat the **** out of them... Landry 400yards passing, 4 TD's, 1 rushing

Blues1
12/23/2009, 12:00 PM
I think Stanford has one Hellva of a team - a lot better than most of you think...(from what I'm reading here) ~ jmho - If we lose I won't see it as a upset,but it will **** me off for at least a month...As Long as we play sound and motivated I will be happy for the team..A sloppy loss would be very discouraging, but I don't see that happening in this game....A good solid win over Stanford will let me Enjoy the remaining Bowl games....

BOOMER - Lets Do it....~~!!

JLEW1818
12/23/2009, 12:05 PM
any team that beats USC and Oregon.. is a good team

cmbuehrle
12/23/2009, 12:18 PM
The rest of the country will basically ignore this bowl game. The only way it receives any pub is if stanford beats up on OU and the defense looks awful. That being said I see it as a good match up, strength vs. strength. One thing that a good performance by OU's offense will provide is that OU simply needed some time to stitch up it's O-line and that the traditional power should be expected to compete in the for the Big XII title next year.

BoulderSooner79
12/23/2009, 12:28 PM
any team that beats USC and Oregon.. is a good team

Bingo. Stanford is the ranked team here and they earned it. There is a reason that Harbaugh's name comes up when there is a coaching vacancy at a big name school. The Pac10 was better overall than the big12 this year and Stanford beat the champion ducks and pounded USC. Granted, 'SC had a down year, but they still had better talent than Stanford at almost every position except for Gerhart's. I think the match-ups are in our favor, but only if we have a solid game plan to exploit them and play well.

SCSoonerfan
12/24/2009, 09:18 PM
It does nothing for me personally. Since the inplementation of the gazillion bowls we now have in todays college football, the only game that matters is the one on Jan 7th and unfortunately we are not involved with it this year. While I hope we win and I will be watching and rooting for OU imo it just doesnt matter.

ndpruitt03
12/24/2009, 09:20 PM
I'll be glad if we win, not to pissed if we lose because I've come to expect losses in bowl games under Stoops.

ndpruitt03
12/24/2009, 09:20 PM
It does nothing for me personally. Since the inplementation of the gazillion bowls we now have in todays college football, the only game that matters is the one on Jan 7th and unfortunately we are not involved with it this year. While I hope we win and I will be watching and rooting for OU imo it just doesnt matter.

Very true, it really shoots down the argument that bowls make the season mean more. Not when bad teams are getting bowl games.

ouwasp
12/25/2009, 12:48 AM
If the Sooners win it will shut up poke fans that care more about the outcome of OU's game than their own teams. I'm around several of them.

So, best case: OU wins and the pokes lose. Maybe they'll actually be quiet. :)

sooneredaco
12/25/2009, 01:01 AM
If we win big: I'm gonna party like it's new years!

If we win close: I'm gonna party like it's new years!

If we lose close: I'm gonna party like it's new years!

If we lose big: I'm gonna party like it's new years!

All in all I'm already looking forward to a new decade! Let's just get the hell out of 2009!

starclassic tama
12/25/2009, 01:09 AM
to me 7-6 looks a lot uglier than 8-5... we could win this game handily and hopefully get some confidence going into next year.

Leroy Lizard
12/25/2009, 01:23 AM
The rest of the country will basically ignore this bowl game.

I think the viewership is going to be very high, because everyone wants to see what Toby can do against a solid D line.

12/25/2009, 01:28 AM
I think the viewership is going to be very high, because everyone wants to see what Toby can do against a solid D line.a midday game on NY Eve, should have a lot of viewers. A lot of folks might be wanting to see if the Sooners are pathological about losing bowls, too.

misplacedsooner
12/25/2009, 01:29 AM
im one who wants to watch sooner football year around.
and to answer the question if this win and a pokie loss will shut them up HELL NO is the answer.