PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Scam Alert

Soonerwake
12/22/2009, 08:31 PM
Apparently, there is a scam going around ebay and craigslist concerning auto sales. The truck or car will be priced just under $5000 due to the FBI minimum amount for an investigation being that amount, the car will be at a shipping site ready to ship, and the seller will send you a link to a fake ebay auction. The seller uses info from a recent ebay motors sale so the info will appear legit when running a carfax.

The one I almost got hooked on today was a 2004 Nissan Titan on craigslist. It is listed in every city in the country for $4900. The scammer does a pretty good job in his emails communication. Hard to believe I spent over 10 years in law enforcement and fraud investigations. :O

Just wanted to make everyone else aware. At least I am only out the $35 for a carfax report. I did report them to craigslist.

olevetonahill
12/22/2009, 08:41 PM
LOL . Its really funny how some people get hooked
Hell a few years ago i was checkin out Ebay and theres this 100,000$ Land Rover or something like that .

They only wanted 25000 fer it
Seems they Bot it had it shipped to UK and couldnt get it to pass some kinda test or some shat .
They would Pay the shipping to ME just as soon as MY payment cleared .
I was a Car dealer at the time and ran the Numbers
The ride was in Kansas :D

StoopTroup
12/22/2009, 09:57 PM
Ebay wants to make huge profits and offer zero protection.

I quit using them quite awhile ago.

It was a great idea at one time. Now it's a pet rock as far as I'm concerned.

Denton_Sooner
12/22/2009, 10:12 PM
Rule of thumb: Unless you meet in person to exchange what you are buying/selling for goods/money, it is most likely a scam.

Good job doing your homework...

StoopTroup
12/22/2009, 10:23 PM
Especially if it's a personal ad on Craigslist. :D

Boarder
12/22/2009, 10:39 PM
Scams will be the death of Craigslist. I just don't get why a bunch of idiots have to screw up every single thing that is cool.

olevetonahill
12/22/2009, 10:46 PM
Its Really simple people
"If a deal sounds to good to be true, It prolly is "

Just use common sense and a Lil caution and ya should be golden

Tulsa_Fireman
12/22/2009, 10:55 PM
I bought my iranian wife on Craigslist.

She has yet to "seal the deal". What a rip-off.

Veritas
12/23/2009, 12:28 AM
Yeah, the old saw "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" applies here.

btk108
12/23/2009, 01:25 AM
I bought a lot of Xmas on ebay...and somethings on Craigslist....if you use common sense....(sounds to good to be true, it probably is)....you can stay pretty safe...I've yet to be burned....YET..i say

btk108
12/23/2009, 01:26 AM
btw....I used craigslist for vendors for my daughters wedding last June......got a full wedding, musicians and reception done for 7k

Soonerwake
12/23/2009, 09:04 AM
I have never actually even been to the craigslist site until yesterday. I have friends who buy and sell there all the time, so I thought I would try it out. It seems like a good site as far as I can tell.

And yes, the "if it sounds too good to be true" theory is very true. Probably why I would not pull the trigger and kept searching on this deal...

SoonerJack
12/23/2009, 09:09 AM
I buy and sell stuff on there all the time and the listings that are fishy are pretty easy to spot.

Veritas
12/23/2009, 10:24 AM
Well, the fact that Craigslist has banners in bright red capitalized font that says "OFFERS TO SHIP VEHICLES ARE 100% FRAUDULENT" is also a hint. :)

C&CDean
12/23/2009, 10:30 AM
I've bought some **** on craigslist. And no, I ain't stupid enough to pay for it any way but cash or check - after I have seen the goods and talked face-to-face with the seller. That's what I like about craigslist vs. ebay. You can search local, call the fool, and hook up for the look-see and payment.

StoopTroup
12/23/2009, 10:35 AM
I've bought some **** on craigslist. And no, I ain't stupid enough to pay for it any way but cash or check - after I have seen the goods and talked face-to-face with the seller. That's what I like about craigslist vs. ebay. You can search local, call the fool, and hook up for the look-see and payment.

Is that what all the cool kids are calling it now? :D

Tulsa_Fireman
12/23/2009, 10:36 AM
That's hawt.

C&CDean
12/23/2009, 10:45 AM
No, all the cool kids call it "sampling the wares." Keep up.

StoopTroup
12/23/2009, 10:53 AM
I'm no longer a playa....

Soonerwake
12/23/2009, 11:29 AM
I'm no longer a playa....

But you could be...

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/personals.cgi?category=m4m

:D

landrun
12/23/2009, 11:33 AM
Isn't it pretty safe to buy on Ebay if they offer to let you pay with Paypal?
I only buy if I can pay with Paypal. But it has been over a year since I purchased anything on Ebay so maybe I'm behind the times now?