PDA

View Full Version : Kids

StoopTroup
12/22/2009, 02:10 PM
Any of you have kids that like to take stuff apart?

I do.

They come by it honest I guess. My Dad did it as a kid. I did it. I guess they just have to break a few eggs to make an omelet....

At least they haven't started in on the computers yet.

Hot Rod
12/22/2009, 02:38 PM
My youngest son use to do that with some of his action figures. I don't know where he got it, because I never did that. I told him I wouldn't buy anymore toys, if he kept doing that. He eventually stopped. Now, he's into video and computers games. Yeah, we don't want them to continue on our expensive toys.

Crucifax Autumn
12/23/2009, 04:06 AM
My son takes everything apart. Just not in places where the objects are SUPPOSED to come apart.

SicEmBaylor
12/23/2009, 06:11 AM
I was awesome at taking **** apart when I was a kid. Putting it back together on the other hand...

Turd_Ferguson
12/23/2009, 07:26 AM
I was awesome at taking **** apart when I was a kid. Putting it back together on the other hand...meth heads are like this as well.

Denton_Sooner
12/23/2009, 09:21 AM
When I was a kid, a buddy of mine kept taking his toys apart, to "see" what was inside. His dad got sick of him tearing his toys up, so he went to a local junkyard and bought some small motors and such for a few bucks, and set them in the garage. After that, any time he wanted to tear something up he would just go to the garage and start taking off pieces. Worked like a charm.

StoopTroup
12/23/2009, 09:42 AM
I think that's what I'm going to do is hit garage sales and spend some time taking stuff apart. My Son knows I can fix a lot of stuff and I don't want him taking stuff apart just so I'll get off the internet. :D I think it's a good way to teach kids they can fix some things and how others aren't worth the time or effort.

Denton_Sooner
12/23/2009, 10:07 AM
Teaching a child to properly use tools is a great life lesson. Its never too early to let a kid safely hammer a nail, or help you tighten a screw.

Also, teaching them that:

1. There are some things you can do yourself with a little effort and a quick run to a hardware store.

and

2. There are some things that are best left to the professionals.

I'm just not always the best at differentiating between the two, and usually end up teaching them the proper use of profanity! :D :D

C&CDean
12/23/2009, 10:18 AM
My oldest 4 sons all took **** apart, and the second oldest took EVERYTHING apart. All he wanted for Christmas and birthdays was tools. I bought him pretty nice hand tools when he was maybe 8 years old. When I bought bicycles for the other kids he'd help me put them together. Then I'd go outside and find them all torn apart again. Then he'd put them back together.

So, none of my kids are lawyers or doctors or cops or teachers or accountants. They've never flipped a burger. The oldest is a welder by trade, but is going through a "independent contractor" phase right now and is really doing pretty good. The second one who tore everything apart is an electrician who also dabbles in automotive and appliance repair. The third is working at an Office Max selling computers, and the 4th is working at a large nursery running equipment. The last son (17 years old) couldn't take a hubcap off or change a tire. However, he is pretty handy in the kitchen.

StoopTroup
12/23/2009, 11:06 AM
That's what I'm talking about Deano. Well rounded kids Bro.

WTG Pops!

C&CDean
12/23/2009, 11:11 AM
That's what I'm talking about Deano. Well rounded kids Bro.

WTG Pops!

And it's been relatively cheap. Only the oldest went to college - and only for 2 semesters. The others just wanted to get a job and get the **** outta the house. Works for me.

badger
12/23/2009, 11:26 AM
My brother had to learn mechanics and motor repair fun during his phd coursework, but before that, he really didn't do a lot of repair or taking apart growing up.

I was really more into building stuff than taking stuff apart too. I still love Star Wars Legos. They're so cute :D

yermom
12/23/2009, 12:30 PM
i started taking **** apart early on. doorknobs, VCRs, stereos, phones, toys, whatever. if something was broken i'd look at the guts inside and see if i could tell what was broken. sometimes it didn't have to be broken and i would just take it as apart as i could where i knew i could put it back together.

i'd get them some Legos and real tools. maybe some old computers :D

StoopTroup
12/23/2009, 12:32 PM
Santa is bringing around 1000-2000 more Legos to the hOUse I believe.

yermom
12/23/2009, 12:34 PM
Santa better wear shoes for the next few days then :eek:

goingoneight
12/23/2009, 05:02 PM
My late, great grandpa used to give me **** to fix all the time. As a kid around 8 when I first started, it was old telephones and toasters. At 12, he gave me a lawnmower, and I got on that "I'm gonna mow lawns during the summer" kicks. Problem was too much for me at 12, though... blow'd engine.
So Grandma gives me her tired, old Kirby vacuum. I rebuilt it, eventually got around to the mower at about 15 and from that part on always had my head under a hood.

Gma and Gpa both left us this year, and while it saddens me... I currently have another project left to me... their house.