PDA

View Full Version : What's up with this years squad?

boomerborn79
12/21/2009, 07:10 PM
It's been a while since we looked this bad. We don't even looked coach'ed. Is he just lettin them play? Could be a rough year.:(

Bosley
12/21/2009, 07:17 PM
It's been a while since we looked this bad. We don't even looked coach'ed. Is he just lettin them play? Could be a rough year.:(

.....and another ill advised three.

The announcer said it best, they're playing like they're in an AAU game. The talent is so abundant, not one of these guys have ever had to really work to win on a regular basis. They dont understand the value of a possession and capel doesn't know how to harness this team yet. You get a Blake Griffin once in a lifetime who carried the team on his back every game, and Capel has shown he doesn't know how to win without him.

soonervegas
12/21/2009, 07:21 PM
Kelvin is rolling around in his NCAA grave right now. The D on this team is atrocious.

the_ouskull
12/21/2009, 07:26 PM
I have been watching the UTEP game, looking for something positive to take from it, and all I can think of is, "Well, we're getting a lot of possessions."

-- This team does not box out well, and, due to that and their lack of height (really, Capel?) they are getting killed on the boards. It's not just when the other team doesn't get the board, but a number of times, our guys just had trouble securing the board. It'd be batted around a few times before we finally ended up with it after almost turning it over.

-- Also, and I can't believe that even the announcers were picking up on this (nice work, Franklin..) crap, but these guys don't give a sh*t about defense. We have a couple of decent individual defenders. But, as far as rotation defense; team defense, forget it.

-- No running game. We have a 6'9" MCD'sAA shooting three balls. Great. We need our posts scoring in the post. Period. If not scoring, then at least getting our perimeter guys better looks by commanding double teams and/or drawing some fouls.

-- Turnovers. At times, I feel like I'm watching And1 out there, with all of the unforced turnovers, the turnovers trying to do "a move," and the ill-advised passes in traffic. Not to mention the general one-on-one basketball feel I get from this team...

In short, we're playing like a pick-up team with some talent. Some games, the shots will fall, and we'll win, and the games against any "real" teams, for the most part, we're going to lose because they can play much more consistently than we can.

Also, yes, I'm starting to think it's okay to criticize Capel on this one, because he's the one sticking to player Crocker at the 4, regardless of how well his stats say he's been playing it. He's still a skinny, 6'4"ish "power" forward? I think no. We need to play a more traditional lineup, and, if players think they deserve more minutes, then they need to prove it by playing well when they get their minutes, and by taking smart shots, etc...

How many f*cking perimeter shots are we going to jack up only a few seconds into the possession? For that matter, how many of them are going to be contested? So far it's "all," but I'm hoping that changes.

I think it's safe to say that, despite Willie's individual success, he's not able to "take over" a team, and, if he is willing to continue playing a role instead of trying to make this "his team," then the next role he needs to slide into is "leader." HE needs to get the guys on the same page. (TMG, you're not Hot Sauce. Me, you're not Kobe. Crock, you're not 6'10". Tiny, you ARE 6'10"! etc, etc...

Also, is it just me or does Ryan Wright have feet like an overweight, old offensive lineman. I think our "ole" defense starts with his "presence" underneath the goal. Well, his and "Tiny's." At least now I know how he got that nickname. It's not an ironic name because of his size. It's how he looks to offensive players when they're heading towards him.

Crap. I thought this team had a shot to make some noise. They do, but, so far, it's been the bottom dropping out of their expectations (for themselves, as well, as evidenced by their commitment to defense) and Willie's piloting of the Wah-mbulance.

I am profoundly disappointed in what I have seen to date.

the_ouskull

boomerborn79
12/21/2009, 07:35 PM
I have been watching the UTEP game, looking for something positive to take from it, and all I can think of is, "Well, we're getting a lot of possessions."

-- This team does not box out well, and, due to that and their lack of height (really, Capel?) they are getting killed on the boards. It's not just when the other team doesn't get the board, but a number of times, our guys just had trouble securing the board. It'd be batted around a few times before we finally ended up with it after almost turning it over.

-- Also, and I can't believe that even the announcers were picking up on this (nice work, Franklin..) crap, but these guys don't give a sh*t about defense. We have a couple of decent individual defenders. But, as far as rotation defense; team defense, forget it.

-- No running game. We have a 6'9" MCD'sAA shooting three balls. Great. We need our posts scoring in the post. Period. If not scoring, then at least getting our perimeter guys better looks by commanding double teams and/or drawing some fouls.

-- Turnovers. At times, I feel like I'm watching And1 out there, with all of the unforced turnovers, the turnovers trying to do "a move," and the ill-advised passes in traffic. Not to mention the general one-on-one basketball feel I get from this team...

In short, we're playing like a pick-up team with some talent. Some games, the shots will fall, and we'll win, and the games against any "real" teams, for the most part, we're going to lose because they can play much more consistently than we can.

Also, yes, I'm starting to think it's okay to criticize Capel on this one, because he's the one sticking to player Crocker at the 4, regardless of how well his stats say he's been playing it. He's still a skinny, 6'4"ish "power" forward? I think no. We need to play a more traditional lineup, and, if players think they deserve more minutes, then they need to prove it by playing well when they get their minutes, and by taking smart shots, etc...

How many f*cking perimeter shots are we going to jack up only a few seconds into the possession? For that matter, how many of them are going to be contested? So far it's "all," but I'm hoping that changes.

I think it's safe to say that, despite Willie's individual success, he's not able to "take over" a team, and, if he is willing to continue playing a role instead of trying to make this "his team," then the next role he needs to slide into is "leader." HE needs to get the guys on the same page. (TMG, you're not Hot Sauce. Me, you're not Kobe. Crock, you're not 6'10". Tiny, you ARE 6'10"! etc, etc...

Also, is it just me or does Ryan Wright have feet like an overweight, old offensive lineman. I think our "ole" defense starts with his "presence" underneath the goal. Well, his and "Tiny's." At least now I know how he got that nickname. It's not an ironic name because of his size. It's how he looks to offensive players when they're heading towards him.

Crap. I thought this team had a shot to make some noise. They do, but, so far, it's been the bottom dropping out of their expectations (for themselves, as well, as evidenced by their commitment to defense) and Willie's piloting of the Wah-mbulance.

I am profoundly disappointed in what I have seen to date.

the_ouskull

I try not to bash on OU coaches not named Kevin Wilson, but every time I see the bench Capel is sitting down with his face in his hands. Kelvin would have jacket off and working the official's, substituting like crazy till he found a combination that worked. I think Capel is a good coach, but am a little dissapointed he hasn't found some sort of combination to keep us competetive. I hate seeing WW act the way he does and Crock seems very dissapointed in the team. I think TMG needs to be a little more vocal to.

sooner518
12/21/2009, 07:39 PM
capel predicted we'd get smoked by these guys. he was right

KABOOKIE
12/21/2009, 07:39 PM
Fire John Carpel!!!

boomerborn79
12/21/2009, 07:42 PM
Fire John Carpel!!!

Unless he wins. Then keep him....

boomerborn79
12/21/2009, 07:50 PM
10-2 run, down by 11. Still no defense, maybe utep will go cold.

Eielson
12/21/2009, 07:53 PM
Nobody is crashing the boards. Sometimes we'll have Gallon in there, but he's basically useless. Caracter can just put a hand on him and he's blocked out. It's three or four UTEP guys in there against one of our guys. Occasionally you'll see a second guy in there, but that's just because he shot it, and he's not trying to rebound it.

Nobody is taking a charge either. They'd rather half-heartedly stick a hand in there, and be basically useless.

Eielson
12/21/2009, 08:00 PM
Does Gallon really not know to "not bring the ball down?" I thought every high school post in America knew that.

boomerborn79
12/21/2009, 08:05 PM
Let's go d-fense, let's go.

sooner518
12/21/2009, 08:07 PM
not that we're really playing well enough to win, but these UTEP guys are hitting everything! geez

boomerborn79
12/21/2009, 08:10 PM
not that we're really playing well enough to win, but these UTEP guys are hitting everything! geez

It's like they are in shoot arounds.

Boomer.....
12/21/2009, 08:14 PM
Our defense has been bad. UTEP can't miss a shot either which doesn't help.

boomerborn79
12/21/2009, 08:25 PM
Our defense has been bad. UTEP can't miss a shot either which doesn't help.

This team is not getting better.

Sooner1979
12/21/2009, 08:36 PM
I try not to bash on OU coaches not named Kevin Wilson, but every time I see the bench Capel is sitting down with his face in his hands. Kelvin would have jacket off and working the official's, substituting like crazy till he found a combination that worked. I think Capel is a good coach, but am a little dissapointed he hasn't found some sort of combination to keep us competetive. I hate seeing WW act the way he does and Crock seems very dissapointed in the team. I think TMG needs to be a little more vocal to.

Am I am wrong or wasn't Kevin Wilson the Off. Cord. when OU had the most abundant Offense ever fielded? - And no I am not wrong...

Eielson
12/21/2009, 08:37 PM
Am I am wrong or wasn't Kevin Wilson the Off. Cord. when OU had the most abundant Offense ever fielded? - And no I am not wrong...

Am I wrong, or did he have about 10-11 draft picks playing on offense for him lead by a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback?

Sooner1979
12/21/2009, 08:43 PM
Am I wrong, or did he have about 10-11 draft picks playing on offense for him lead by a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback?

How many of those 10-11 draft picks actually played this year? Sam - no; Jermaine - no; Our receiver corp was anchored by 1 go to guy...Couldn't run the ball to save our lives...Couldn't catch the balls that were thrown...That is not Kevin's fault...

OUmillenium
12/21/2009, 08:53 PM
UTEP is very talented and plays balls out on d and on the boards. Lots of guys who can hit open and guarded jumpers, something we don't have.

boomerborn79
12/21/2009, 08:54 PM

No your right. I think the players made that team. Same coach different results, different players. I would have thought he would have adjusted his offense to fit our new players. Granted I didn't believe this in the begining of the season. But when Landry looked like the game was too fast, line had soo many injuries I thought he would slow it down and let the defense win. I also heard many people on this board bashing him last year in our two losses. I just don't like the style of offense he runs. I like a big powerful running first team. Not the meerkat. Just my opinion. hope it doesn't upset you.

Sooner1979
12/21/2009, 09:00 PM
No your right. I think the players made that team. Same coach different results, different players. I would have thought he would have adjusted his offense to fit our new players. Granted I didn't believe this in the begining of the season. But when Landry looked like the game was too fast, line had soo many injuries I thought he would slow it down and let the defense win. I also heard many people on this board bashing him last year in our two losses. I just don't like the style of offense he runs. I like a big powerful running first team. Not the meerkat. Just my opinion. hope it doesn't upset you.

Your opinion doesn't upset me, but I don't think coaching was the issue this year...

boomerborn79
12/21/2009, 09:03 PM
Your opinion doesn't upset me, but I don't think coaching was the issue this year...

If we roll next year. I eat my words. I WOULD LOVE TO EAT MY WORD'S. I don't think he is a bad coord. maybe a little stubborn.

Sooner04
12/21/2009, 09:17 PM
Football forum is that way. The moose out front should've told ya.

boomerborn79
12/21/2009, 09:22 PM
Football forum is that way. The moose out front should've told ya.

He started it:D

the_ouskull
12/21/2009, 09:27 PM
Nobody gives a sh*t. Go f*ck up the football board.

Anyway...

This team's problems are almost all related to coaching. I hate to say it, but it's the truth. Capel needs to rein in Willie, and tell him, quoting a sports writer who texted me during the game, "to stop worrying about proving he can be a 1 in the NBA and start being a 2 in college." He also needs to quit playing the 6'5" Crocker at the 4 for extended minutes. We need SOME size in our lineup, even if it's not our best player. Like Fitzgerald would hurt us on the glass... I mean, Wright's playing defense like he's wearing a sombrero and a cape, Willie's learning from Wright, TMG is out of position in our zones, and he's 5'10" in our m2m - the 6'7" kid was shooting over him cleanly all night tonight. What'd he finish with, anyway?

5-5 from the field for 15 points, plus he chipped in 5 boards and 8 dimes.

You're sh*tting me...?

Except he's not. We got clobbered by an equally talented team, although seeing Caracter was weird after the events of the past few years. He's good, too, by the way. We weren't just making him look good. I think he's losing 30, gaining 20 away from a shot at the NBA, but good for him, man.

Culpepper hitting us for 27 didn't help much either. Who was guarding him, anyway...?

Oh, my bad, Willie. At least, on the plays where I watched you try to guard him.

...and dribble. Really? Another 5 turnover game for our alleged "star?" See, I'm willing to ignore the 26 points. They came on poor shooting, and ill-advised shots. When your "star" has the same number of turnovers as free throws, that's a problem, man.

Crocker's stellar rebounding numbers, this season, by the way...

I see where they're coming from now. I think that he's a much more solid player right now, but he's on a much, much, much less solid team. He's getting these boards 'cause if he doesn't, the other team will. He's just boxing out, and misses have to go to somebody. Still, some stat-driven NBA team will see his rebound rate, and draft him, thinking he's this sick, world-class athlete, and then they'll cry, and I'll laugh, and Crock will continue to work hard, become serviceable in a pinch, and get fat paid for three years, and then a few more overseas. Yay.

(Yes, that was a joke. No, I do not think he'll get drafted.)

the_ouskull

kc sooner
12/21/2009, 11:15 PM
Nobody gives a sh*t. Go f*ck up the football board.

Anyway...

This team's problems are almost all related to coaching. I hate to say it, but it's the truth. Capel needs to rein in Willie, and tell him, quoting a sports writer who texted me during the game, "to stop worrying about proving he can be a 1 in the NBA and start being a 2 in college." He also needs to quit playing the 6'5" Crocker at the 4 for extended minutes. We need SOME size in our lineup, even if it's not our best player. Like Fitzgerald would hurt us on the glass... I mean, Wright's playing defense like he's wearing a sombrero and a cape, Willie's learning from Wright, TMG is out of position in our zones, and he's 5'10" in our m2m - the 6'7" kid was shooting over him cleanly all night tonight. What'd he finish with, anyway?

5-5 from the field for 15 points, plus he chipped in 5 boards and 8 dimes.

You're sh*tting me...?

Except he's not. We got clobbered by an equally talented team, although seeing Caracter was weird after the events of the past few years. He's good, too, by the way. We weren't just making him look good. I think he's losing 30, gaining 20 away from a shot at the NBA, but good for him, man.

Culpepper hitting us for 27 didn't help much either. Who was guarding him, anyway...?

Oh, my bad, Willie. At least, on the plays where I watched you try to guard him.

...and dribble. Really? Another 5 turnover game for our alleged "star?" See, I'm willing to ignore the 26 points. They came on poor shooting, and ill-advised shots. When your "star" has the same number of turnovers as free throws, that's a problem, man.

Crocker's stellar rebounding numbers, this season, by the way...

I see where they're coming from now. I think that he's a much more solid player right now, but he's on a much, much, much less solid team. He's getting these boards 'cause if he doesn't, the other team will. He's just boxing out, and misses have to go to somebody. Still, some stat-driven NBA team will see his rebound rate, and draft him, thinking he's this sick, world-class athlete, and then they'll cry, and I'll laugh, and Crock will continue to work hard, become serviceable in a pinch, and get fat paid for three years, and then a few more overseas. Yay.

(Yes, that was a joke. No, I do not think he'll get drafted.)

the_ouskull

I agree - and I like Capel, or at least thought I did, but it's very disappointing to see no progress this year, we are not getting any better, and I do not understand or don't know if he recruited any big men, we have none, our biggest guy doesn't seem to like it down there, and Ryan Wright can't really do anything, so how could we go into the season with this?

ndpruitt03
12/21/2009, 11:21 PM
Apparently Capel has determined of the 11 guys he's recruited only 7 are good enough to really see minutes and about 4 of the of those 7 don't know how to play the game of basketball.

soonervegas
12/21/2009, 11:51 PM
My 1st Capel critique at OU:

After watching the news tonight I am a little concerned at the amount of pressure we are putting on Willie to be a "leader". The kid is 20 years old.....the actual leader of this team makes over a million per year.

the_ouskull
12/22/2009, 12:42 AM
He puts that same pressure on himself, implying that because it was Blake's team last year, it was not his team; the next step of that, then, being that Blake is gone this year, it's now Willie's team. He isn't a point guard because, even though he's a decent ball handler, he's not a good passer, and he's not "wired" or whatever, to play well with others.

This IS his team, and I think that he is more than capable, athletically, and competitively, to take this team to the NCAA's. But first, he has got to learn how to do that, and his numbers don't mean anything. The win does. Then he's got to get that in the heads of everybody else on this team, and talk them into playing the same pull-my-head-out-of-my-*ss defense that most of the team, especially the younger players, needs to get really good at, really quickly.

Nobody out there cares about possessions. (I hate that Franklin said that first... but it's money.) Turnovers aren't a big deal to our team right now, and it's because our star is playing like they're not a big deal to him. Defense isn't a big deal to us right now, and it's because we've got the notion that we'll just get the ball back and shoot it in someone's face. Our best one-on-one defender might be Tony Crocker. Cade freaking Davis might be number two. Good for him, man, but that says a LOT about our players and their ability to play individual defense.

TMG? He's really short. Even when he is in position; even when he rotates correctly, he's still short. Players are getting open looks over the top of him, never more evident than tonight when a 6'7" point guard was killing him. (The good news? It forced a little of the killer out of TMG, who was going right back at the guy...)

Willie? He's been playing superstar defense for his whole life. That, "I'll score more" defense. Welcome to D1 basketball, sir. With no solid rebounding to back him up, and with no shot blockers protecting the rim behind him, Willie's defensive flaws have never been more visible. Sadly, he's overplaying on offense to try to make up for it, killing himself, this team, and his draft stock, all along with it.

Wright? I've already said a lot about this guy. Most of it isn't good. He, uh, transferred from a good school. I don't know. He just looks slow as can be out there, and is constantly lost on defense. Also, considering he's not a good rebounder for his size, and is not a threat in the post; at least certainly won't command a double team...

...why isn't Fitzgerald playing more again?

Gallon? Heh. This guy just looks like Zach Randolph out there. I'll see him wave his arm out at a guy blowing by him on defense, and then, on offense, roll into a high screen, then quick dive down the paint, calling for the ball. It's not like he doesn't have the ability to move his feet. He's just choosing to do so on ONE side of the ball, not TWO. He's our only post threat, but wants to prove that he has range, so he continues to shoot 3's. Joy. That also takes him away from the basket for a shot at an offensive board, which leaves those duties up to Tony Crocker.

Jeff Capel needs to be the leader of this team. Right now, this team looks a lot to me like Kelvin's second-to-last team. Taj Gray, Terrell Everett, Kevin Bookout, Longar Longar, Nate Carter... and the original three amigos, Lavender, Foust, and McKenzie. In 2005, that team went 25-8, and finished the season 17th in the polls. That team had one other player I didn't mention. Johnnie Gilbert. HE was a leader.

The next season, without the aforementioned trio, and replacing them with Taylor Griffin, Austin Johnson, and extended minutes for Longar Longar, that team, also, mind you, without a true leader like Johnnie Gilbert, finished 20-9, ranked 24th in the country. Essentially, a better team, given what we know now, finished worse because it had no true leader. That 2006 team was plagued with "me first" mindsets; mindsets that are looking pretty familiar to me right now in 2009, too.

...right down to the Terrell Everett / Willie Warren trying to prove himself to the NBA and averaging four turnovers a game in the process. That '06 team played WAY better defense, though. Way.

Who is our leader? With a team this young, Capel can't do it himself. He needs a leader on the floor, too. Crocker can't handle the ball well enough. Cade Davis REALLY can't handle the ball well enough. Neither are good passers, either... they're both more "lead by example" guys. Willie, on the other hand, can't be a lead-by-example guy, 'cause we don't want every player on the roster taking ill-advised shots, and turning the ball over indiscriminately. He needs to find another way to lead this team. If he wants to prove to the NBA that he can run a team, taking this team to a tournament berth would be the way. The way to do that, is to win. Nothing else matters.

the_ouskull

OKC-SLC
12/22/2009, 01:19 AM
I'm actually beginning to wish WW had left for the NBA. For his sake and for ours.

I'm not a basketball expert, and I'll never claim to be. But even to me it is obvious he's trying to prove his mettle to NBA folks, and the team behind him isn't good enough for him to go solo.

ndpruitt03
12/22/2009, 01:26 AM
Looks like this is just a collection of 7 different individuals and no real team out there. The other 8 players on the roster don't count and don't really play. Coaching has some to do with that. But I'm not so sure that Capel has recruited the right group to go and be a team. Looks like almost all 7 guys are on different pages of different books.

NormanPride
12/22/2009, 11:00 AM
I have no idea why Fitz isn't playing more. He looked great, if not shaky on D early. But who isn't on this team?

I'm officially saying it now: I want Willie gone. He scores, but kills us. I really thought he was going to be the guy that lead us this year. The one that worked hard, had heart, and celebrated with the team when he hit a shot. I should have realized that's not who he is.

1 - TMG
2 - Pledger
3 - Crocker
4 - Fitz
5 - Tiny

This season is a disaster already, and we need the future of the program to learn to play together. That isn't Willie.

Eielson
12/22/2009, 02:12 PM
We can't exactly throw Willie under the bus. If he doesn't become a first round pick it will look terrible for recruiting.

Crimsontothecore
12/22/2009, 08:12 PM
the atrocious performance of this team so far is purely on the shoulders of Capel. I feel like he's throwing Warren under the bus. What obligates Willie Warren to instantly be this teams "leader" anyway? I think Capel needs to stop taking shots at Williie every time he's asked about this teams issues. Leadership is but one of many issues this team has, and they all start with coaching.

To hear Capel talk, one would believe this team would suddenly play lock down defense, run offensive sets, and play as a team, all if Willie would accept the role of "leader".
This team is so poorly coached right now that Capel should seriously consider a voluntary pay cut.

ndpruitt03
12/22/2009, 08:20 PM
the atrocious performance of this team so far is purely on the shoulders of Capel. I feel like he's throwing Warren under the bus. What obligates Willie Warren to instantly be this teams "leader" anyway? I think Capel needs to stop taking shots at Williie every time he's asked about this teams issues. Leadership is but one of many issues this team has, and they all start with coaching.

To hear Capel talk, one would believe this team would suddenly play lock down defense, run offensive sets, and play as a team, all if Willie would accept the role of "leader".
This team is so poorly coached right now that Capel should seriously consider a voluntary pay cut.

I agree, Capel needs to look in the mirror for the blame on this team right now. They are badly coached. They don't look like a team which is really hard to do at the college level.

elpaso_texas
12/22/2009, 08:31 PM
how bout them MINERS !!! is Norman, OK still in shock ???

OKC-SLC
12/22/2009, 10:51 PM

nope. we're used to getting beat by the better team.

and by dooshbag fans trolling by when it happens.

the_ouskull
12/23/2009, 12:00 AM

You should avoid this site. Not 'cause I'm bitter to lose to what was, and is, the better team. Not 'cause I don't appreciate some back-and-forth with fans of other teams, either.

Just 'cause, it's the holiday season, and you're not a very good troll, and, frankly, I don't want to buttf*ck you in the mouth in front of all of your friend right before Christmas. So, go away, practice, and show back up when you're better at doing what you're trying to do now. This isn't the minors, this is the majors. You already beat us on the court. Don't follow it up by beating us off, too.

the_ouskull

SoonerGrant
12/23/2009, 02:02 AM
Same as the USA bball team in 2004. A lot of talent, but we still got destroyed. Give it time, the wins will come with experience.

btk108
12/23/2009, 02:10 AM
*L*...what skull said

btk108
12/23/2009, 02:11 AM
dont' give up.....they'll find themselves....they lost their leaders (the Griffins), that was a huge hit. I'm not really a WW fan.....but I hope Capel doesn't keep pushing him to the point he just gives up. BOOMER!

soonerbub
12/23/2009, 03:15 AM
The comparison of 05 and 06 to this team is spot on. 06 really soured me on kelvin even without the ncaa stuff. He lost that team and never got em back.

If I see Willie ole or Tiny ole I bench them until practice at 6 am the next day. I would play walk ons and lose by 40 before I reward zero effort on D. This is starting to bug me about Capel a lot. If he had any control of this team he would exert it in practice not through the freaking media.

kc sooner
12/23/2009, 08:27 AM
I don't know if it's just me, but I'm leary of coach K disciple - because it seems to me from watching Duke play, they don't really run any kind of offensive sets anymore, he kind of lets em play and they are so talented they can win games. They have games where they can shut some teams down and play good D, but a lot of times they try to outscore people kind of like we do. It just seems to me that Coach K disciples do this same kind of coaching, and if they don't get the talent that Duke can get, then they are in trouble. I'm not giving up on Capel, but I'm just a little worried that this is they way we will be and hopefully he can keep getting recruiting well and maybe I'm totally off but that's just what it seems like to me. Also the UTEP fan I think had the worst, lamest smack talk post in the history of this board!

BOOMER SOONER!

Bourbon St Sooner
12/23/2009, 09:26 AM
My 1st Capel critique at OU:

After watching the news tonight I am a little concerned at the amount of pressure we are putting on Willie to be a "leader". The kid is 20 years old.....the actual leader of this team makes over a million per year.

Uh, Willie's put that on himself. He's the one that said that he wants to have his jersey hanging in the rafters when he's done. You do that by being a leader and making players around you better. That's what Wayman and Blake did. Willie, not so much. Capel gave him his chance and it hasn't worked.

I'm with NP, if WW wants to be a role player, let him be that off the bench. Let's see if we can find some leaders out of the youngsters.

badger
12/23/2009, 11:10 AM
Because the chicks are off till Dec. 30, and both the men who play football and play basketball are off till Dec. 31, here is a picture that always makes NP laugh:

This perfectly describes the mens basketball season so far. Please add your caption on why it does.
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1096/catslide.gif

My attempt: Jeff Capel attempting to understand Willie Warren :(

the_ouskull
12/23/2009, 04:10 PM
Sisyphus.

It's about a highly praised and feared 2 guard who fooled Death (recruiting services, and pre-season prognosticators) and even the Gods (Blake, duh) before Coach Ares' battles lost their fun and he stepped in, finally crafting the above punishment with the guidance of Zeus. (And, if you actually DO know the story, yes, I skipped around. S*ck it.)

His true flaws were of pride; of thinking that he was the equal of the Gods, when, in fact, he was but a clever (some may say, talented) mortal. Had he been happy being near the Gods, and tried to learn from the Gods rather than prove himself their equal, then he wouldn't still be all cute and sh*t, trying to run up that slide.

the_ouskull

ndpruitt03
12/23/2009, 07:00 PM
I think we may have to face the fact that Capel hasn't really gotten that good of players in as of now. Yes he's got all these highly touted guys which is bogus in my opinion. But I don't believe in recruiting rankings. They are all stupid. But in his 4 years there's really only one guy that's been a solid contributor at OU. Blake Griffin and that was in his own back yard. Most of Capel's recruits haven't lasted past a season or haven't panned out or been quite as good as everyone though. Being highly recruited doesn't make you a college basketball player.

Collier11
12/23/2009, 07:06 PM
Its pretty evident that TMG, Gallon, Pledger, Warren, and Blake can all play. Crocker would be best in big time D1 coming off the bench or being the 4th or 5th option, not the 1st or 2nd. Capel has gotten talent, they are just underachieving so far this year

ndpruitt03
12/23/2009, 07:14 PM
Its pretty evident that TMG, Gallon, Pledger, Warren, and Blake can all play. Crocker would be best in big time D1 coming off the bench or being the 4th or 5th option, not the 1st or 2nd. Capel has gotten talent, they are just underachieving so far this year

I wasn't counting some of the freshmen now. It's too early to tell for them. I was more talking about Bobby Maze, Chris Early, Tony Neysmith, looks like Willis is going to transfer from what I hear. Most of Capel's HS recruits till now haven't stuck around. I would count Crocker but he was a Sampson recruit along with Keith Clark. And it's not like Capel is really getting good JUCO/Transfers also. Patillo was really good but he lasted one year. Ryan Wright and Omar Leary are average at best.

badger
12/24/2009, 08:35 AM
Maze is the starting PG for a good Tennessee team, right? He doesn't suck, but Capel couldn't get along with him.

ndpruitt03
12/24/2009, 10:17 AM
Look at all the guards we've lost. Even if some of those guys are just in for defense. Those guys would be great for this team.

toast
12/24/2009, 05:05 PM
Maybe I'm being naive and simple-minded, but with Kelvin we had hustle, defensive intensity accompanied by limited talent but overachievers.

With Capel we have upgraded the talent level but lost the hustle and defensive pride (my mind keeps going back to watching our guys jog down the floor and having the UTEP player run by Ryan Wright and slam dunk a rebound) and are underachieving. I knew this team would have a learning curve, however I didn't anticipate such a careless attitude.

Maybe I'm just missing it and we want them to be playing their best ball in March not December. However, unless they develop some personal pride on the defensive end it's not going to end well.

stoopified
12/27/2009, 02:46 PM
What is wrong with the current team.I have a number of ideas BUT the most important thing is,does Capel knowwhat the issues are?

IMHO the answer is a resounding yes.The man has 156 wins a s a headcoach in the early stages of his 8th season as a headcoach.He KNOWS what he is doing.I have complete faith that Capel will have this team in the NCAA tourney this year.I picked OU to go 11-3 in non-con and 12-4 in conference for a regular season record of 23-7 and many people thought I was too optimistic, now that 10-4 is the BEST we can do,why is anyone shocked?Virtually everyone said this team would be on a rollercoaster this year due to reliance on youth.We are in the middle of the ride right now and if you jump off now you will miss out.

When you have quality coaches like we have at OU,I say trust them to DO their jobs and just relax and enjoy the ride.I trust Bob Stoops to recover from this season and I trust Capel to get the best out of this team.BTW I trust Sherri to do her job too.

OUmillenium
12/31/2009, 09:56 AM
Need more defense from willie.

Need more of an inside presence on both ends. Crocker shouldn't have to be a 4.

TMG played well v UTEP and gives me hope.