PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of football helmets?

tommieharris91
12/21/2009, 12:48 AM
The WSJ asks if football helmets are causing more damage than they prevent.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704402404574527881984299454.html

John Kochtoston
12/21/2009, 01:01 AM
There's been a similar argument made about boxing gloves. I'm not entirely sure I agree a helmetless game would be safer, but it's also not as crazy as it sounds.

VA Sooner
12/21/2009, 01:02 AM
That would be interesting.

I could see the point... of taking away the feeling of invulnerability which would lead to harder hits.

But oh so challenging to introduce this to the system. There would be a lot of problems in the beginning.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2009, 01:09 AM
They should play naked and increase female viewers and hilarious crotch injuries.

Bonehead
12/21/2009, 01:17 AM
They should play naked and increase female viewers and hilarious crotch injuries.

Only if the cheerleaders were included also.

sooner59
12/21/2009, 02:20 AM

Do you really want to see Terrance Cody naked?

Ask yourself this......then the point is moot.

PLaw
12/21/2009, 07:18 AM
Hmmm, let's see, other manly sports such as rugby and Australian rules football play without helmets.

swardboy
12/21/2009, 08:16 AM
Then there would be a flood of children out of football to soccer....wait,

mojohornfan
12/21/2009, 08:33 AM
I believe neck injuries would go away, as players wouldn't want to go in a head down position when they make a tackle.

rwryne
12/21/2009, 08:57 AM
Do you really want to see Terrance Cody naked?

Ask yourself this......then the point is moot.

I would just feel bad for any quarterbacks view.

NormanPride
12/21/2009, 09:53 AM
They'd need some sort of protection for if they got stepped on with cleats, but I agree that the padding has made the hits harder and the game more dangerous.

soonerx
12/21/2009, 10:00 AM
Not just view, they'd also have to worry about grabbing the wrong "ball" on a snap.

KantoSooner
12/21/2009, 10:02 AM
It would utterly change the game as you simply would not have the oblique blows that define American Football. Rugby or Aussie Rules are very physical games, but very rarely feature blunt impact.

Try this: put padding on the outside of the helmets.

badger
12/21/2009, 10:05 AM
Maybe go back to facemask-less, leather helmets?

Oh, and since you boys seem to love the idea, that's the only thing they wear. :D

TUSooner
12/21/2009, 12:52 PM
I've often thought I'd like to see some exhibition games where players wear leather or some sort of softer, padded helmets, without facemasks. Of course, that would all but eliminate those violent highlight-reel crashes that get us all jacked up. As long as there are hard-shell helmets, they will be used as weapons.

BoulderSooner79
12/21/2009, 12:57 PM
I remember the external padding they tried on helmets that was mentioned in the article. When they say it "didn't catch on", they mean teams didn't want to be at a disadvantage in the weapons department. (helmet gap in Dr. Strangelove terms).

Jacie
12/21/2009, 01:18 PM
The NFL and NCAA better rethink something to make the game safer and combat the rise of crippling injuries to current and former players (see thread: Former Pro Bowl D-lineman: "I wish I never played football.") or the title of the next article will be: Get rid of football?

cvsooner
12/21/2009, 03:55 PM
Is it me or have there been WAY more helmets come off during play this season? Seems like it's at least two or three per game. I don't remember helmets coming off in the '70s or '80s, or if so, very rarely.

goingoneight
12/21/2009, 04:07 PM
Yes. It's because guys don't fasten them properly. Much like the cats who don't tie their shoes very tight and they always fly off. And receivers who don't understand exactly why there is Velcro on their gloves.

RedstickSooner
12/21/2009, 04:55 PM
I don't see any reason why the sport would suffer if we switched to soft-shell helmets that incorporated a facemask. Modern materials technology could handle something like that with no problem, and as soon as the helmet isn't a weapon, players will stop using their skulls to make plays. It'll still be plenty violent, with great collisions. I think players have shown themselves too willing to deliberately inflict injury for us to go to a facemask-less system, but we could absolutely do away with the hard-shell helmets we've been using for so long now.

silverwheels
12/21/2009, 05:07 PM

In the 3-point stance, I would feel bad for the linebackers behind him. :D

SPuL
12/21/2009, 05:18 PM
Maybe go back to facemask-less, leather helmets?

Oh, and since you boys seem to love the idea, that's the only thing they wear. :D

THIS. Well minus the last part LOL

but facemasks gone would be great. It would prevent those from using their helmet as a weapon. You'd see less helmet first tackles because players wouldn't want to mess up their pretty faces. At the same time it would protect the back and side of each players head.

I'm all for it.

royalfan5
12/21/2009, 06:33 PM
There's been a similar argument made about boxing gloves. I'm not entirely sure I agree a helmetless game would be safer, but it's also not as crazy as it sounds.

Boxing gloves at the professional level are almost more geared to keep guys from shattering hands than they are for reducing head injuries.

soonervegas
12/21/2009, 07:25 PM
As long as Oklahoma and Texas can still "scrum" each October I'm cool with it.

GKeeper316
12/21/2009, 08:01 PM
Hmmm, let's see, other manly sports such as rugby and Australian rules football play without helmets.

i make this argument when playing online games with people from australia... yes rugby players play without pads. and there aint a god damned one of em that could stand up after takin a hit from a coked up lawrence taylor.

ashley
12/21/2009, 08:18 PM
I believe neck injuries would go away, as players wouldn't want to go in a head down position when they make a tackle.

There are really very few neck injuries.

Since71ASooner4Life
12/21/2009, 08:51 PM
Let's play the games in a steel cage and let Big john McCarthy referee

bluedogok
12/21/2009, 11:12 PM
I remember the external padding they tried on helmets that was mentioned in the article. When they say it "didn't catch on", they mean teams didn't want to be at a disadvantage in the weapons department. (helmet gap in Dr. Strangelove terms).
Like the old Steve Rhodes helmet.

John Kochtoston
12/22/2009, 01:54 AM
Boxing gloves at the professional level are almost more geared to keep guys from shattering hands than they are for reducing head injuries.

Yes, and they weigh upwards of a pound each. And that's before they are loaded up with 10 pounds of sweat. The effect is similar to hitting a guy in the head while holding a roll of nickels.

There are some out there that would go back to bare-knuckle boxing. More broken hands and facial cuts, but perhaps less pugilistic dementia.

soonerloyal
12/22/2009, 09:44 AM
I've often wondered if the newer helmet liners like the ones used in the Marine "Kevlars" would help...

tanjou
12/22/2009, 10:26 AM
I was on the fence about this, but Glenn Beck had some interesting words to say (as always), so now I'm against helmets.

Jacie
12/22/2009, 02:18 PM
THIS. Well minus the last part LOL

but facemasks gone would be great. It would prevent those from using their helmet as a weapon. You'd see less helmet first tackles because players wouldn't want to mess up their pretty faces. At the same time it would protect the back and side of each players head.

I'm all for it.

I don't remember which one, but a former NFL quarterback from the 50's-60's era said something to the effect that when they introduced the facemask they took the fear out of football.

TUSooner
12/22/2009, 02:45 PM
I don't remember which one, but a former NFL quarterback from the 50's-60's era said something to the effect that when they introduced the facemask they took the fear out of football.

I don't know who said that, but I think OUr own Sooner Great Tommy McDonald was the last player to play in the NFL without a facemask. Not 100% sure, but pretty much so.

No doubt it would really change the game a lot. If the NFL is serious about concussions and head injuries, they might consider it, but the change would likely be way too radical for that bunch. OTOH, it might result in less QB damage, more scoring, and more passing, which is what the NFL powers seem to love...

TUSooner
12/22/2009, 02:52 PM
Is this what we're talking about?

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8454/mcdonald.jpg

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2831/oldfootballteam.jpg