PDA

View Full Version : 04's Attempt: OU vs. Northern Colorado Recap

Sooner04
12/19/2009, 07:25 PM
Like meth, you could cook up the recipe for today's disaster in any bathtub across the state.

First game after finals? Check.
Non-name opponent? Check.
Pouty performance from your "best" player? Check.

It takes a lot to make me not watch the final seconds tick away from my seat. I vanished before the end of last year's KU game because I couldn't bear the thought of hearing Rock Chalk in Norman. I split from the Sprint Center against Colorado in '08 because of complete disgust with the effort. I headed out of the AAC in Dallas during the Big 12 championship game in 2003 against Mizzou because of complete and total offensive ineptitude.

And then today. With 80 seconds to go, and leading 80-72, the game was firmly in hand for our boys. But then we executed the most perfect "**** the bed" I've seen in years. We took ill-advised shots (Crocker's jumper after breaking the press), we missed front ends (Cade, Crocker and TMG) and we failed to secure rebounds (Gallon and Wright). It was horrifying, aggravating and nauseating at the same time. I didn't make a complete exit, I watched TMG's clank from the walkway of the lower level, but it was close.

Honestly, what the hell was that? Northern Colorado is a good basketball team. They're not great, but they're good, and they were their best today. They hit big shots, they rebounded well and they took the fight right to us. Cade single-handedly turned the tide once and the Crock Pot cooked up another run, but other than that the Bears were far better than our Sooners this afternoon. Play like that in conference will get you beat at home and SMOKED on the road.

I'm proud of how we responded when we were smacked by a haymaker in the first half. We went from down 11 to down two in about ninety seconds. And I was proud of how we kept them at arm's length for most of the second half. But those last 3 1/2 minutes........whoo boy. These guys better be darn glad they've got a game Monday because if there wasn't one I'd imagine they'd be running stadium steps 'til Szendrei puked. It will be a somber dinner spread at the Capel house tonight. I'd bet the farm on that.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:
1st - 19 [spit]
2nd - 20 [the world is a vampire]
3rd - 24 [sent to draaaaaaaaain.]
4th - 17

[b]LEADING SCORERS:
25 - Cade Davis
24 - Tony "The Crock Pot" Crocker

LEADING REBOUNDERS:
10 - Tony Crocker [another double-double]
5 - Tiny Gallon

PLUSES:
1. Tony Crocker: The Crock Pot, once again, was cookin'! I used to set the mark for his stat night at 25 but he's been obliterating it lately. Points + boards + steals + assists + blocks - turnovers. 25 was the old. Today it was 38. Some of the shots he hit in the second half were complete daggers to end UNC mini-runs. We'd be up eight, they'd cut it to four and Crocker would bump it right back to six or seven. He made some bad decisions late but luckily it didn't cost us a loss and HOPEFULLY he'll learn from them.

2. Cade Davis: I don't think we win if Cade doesn't go all Reggie Miller late in the first half. 20 point halves don't come along too often and we've had a pair of them in the last two home games. Cade probably would've been #1 if he hadn't kept UNC in it late with pitiful foul shooting, but I'll let it slide considering he was active at both ends of the floor and didn't turn the ball over.

3. GottaHavePride: I believe that was our resident trombonist at halftime as a part of the Christmas Quintet. If that wasn't him, well, he's got a long-lost twin.

4. Crowd: Good group for the Saturday before Christmas at noon. 7,218 is about 2,218 more than I expected.

5. Northern Colorado: Those dudes played really hard.

MINUSES:
1. Willie Warren: I usually reserve player bashing only for Landry Jones (I'm kidding.....partly [wink wink] ) but Willie was putrid out there today. Funk & Wagnall's unabridged thesaurus probably has gobs of synonyms for Willie's effort out there, but putrid, abysmal, heinous and horrendous will do the trick for me. I don't know if his girlfriend left or his cat died or if he had a tooth on the verge of abcess. Whatever it was, that crap needs to cease. For the first time since he's been in Norman he looked like the kid who headed to Oak Hill a couple of years ago. Hopefully that Mr. Hyde goes far away, never to be seen or heard from again. Four points, one rebound and FIVE turnovers. That yak they've got tied up over at the GLC Biology building? He was barfing all over the place.

2. The End Game: In the last 41 seconds we missed the front end of three one-and-ones. That's six points....gone. When the UNC coach got T'd up a few minutes earlier Cade missed a FT and Tiny missed a freebie. Two points....gone. Awful. We were very, very lucky to waltz out of there with a win today with all the mistakes late. We showed symptoms of this up at Utah in regulation, but today it was epidemic. A chilling vision of things to come, I'm afraid.

3. Tiny Gallon: Early in the game, after he caught a long pass and dished it off for an assist, I proclaimed that Tiny could start for us at tight end in the Sun Bowl. In the second half, after he let a rebound hit him right in the face, I proclaimed that he could surely start for us at wide receiver. His hands didn't seem strong today.

I guess I shouldn't gripe too much about a win, but the laissez-faire route to closing out the victory really chewed at my insides. I can handle rough stretches here and there, but the better team should be the better team when the chips were down. Today we looked like some upstart trying to hold off a favorite while on the road. To perform like that down the stretch at home is really inexcusable. Winning teams make the winning plays and were far from making that claim today. Maybe we'll make those plays at the Ford Center on Monday. Capel said no progress was made in this game, but if we close out a ballgame the right way against UTEP I'll beg to differ.

We got lucky.......but I'll take it.

Thank you for your time.

bri
12/19/2009, 09:03 PM
Not only was GHP our halftime entertainment, but one Mr. Phil Owens, Esq. was on the big screen during a timeout in the second half. Soonerfans was all over the SoonerVision today.

And that rebound hit Tiny in the chest. That's what happens when you can jump real high.

In the radio postgame, Capel said he felt sorry for Northern Colorado, 'cause they deserved to win the game, and that everyone but Crock and Cade sucked hind tit. Which is all true, but damn, you don't expect him to say it out loud.

And as usual, I attribute the lackluster performance to the total lack of albino XII's today. TMG and Gamma Ray are taunting the hoop gods, and we're paying the price.

OUSKINS
12/19/2009, 10:26 PM
The "story" of OU's game on Saturday took place during Capel's post-game radio interview with Bob Barry Sr. BBS is an OU sunshine pumper like no other-- we all know it and for the most part, we love him for it. He's sort of become the Harry Caray of Sooner Nation. Often, he will noticeably be pumping sunshine to the chagrin of Capel. I guess Capel had enough on Saturday.

Capel came on the air and was immediately in a noticeably foul mood. His voice was monotone and his answers were short and snippy. At one point, BBS was telling Capel that he thought the team played well when they needed to. Capel's exact reply: "I'm glad you think that."

There were awkward pauses and you could tell that BBS didn't quite know what to do. Capel didn't say a lot, but he did say that everyone involved with the team should be embarrassed and that we "deserved to lose." When asked about Willie's awful outing, he simply said, "he did not play well." He added that only Crocker and Cade showed up and that it "won't even be close" against UTEP on Monday if we play like we did today.

His mood never shifted, he was really, really pissed.

From my seats in the LNC, I actually didn't think it was THAT bad. First of all, No. Colorado is pretty good-- seriously. Coming in to the game, they had only played two home games all year and were 9-2 overall. I think they are considered a favorite to win the Big Sky and go to the Tourney. They had some athletic guys and a whiteboy that could really shoot.

We got down by 11 in the first half, and that's when Cade went nuts. He hit three three's in about 60 seconds and kept us in the game with 20 first half points. Incidentally, he played the entire 40 minutes and he is clearly a key cog for this team-- he has become an excellent defender.

Crocker was also extremely good....especially down the stretch. This is by far the best string of games he's ever had in his career. He's a rebounding machine and he's been great all year, showing all out effort and leadership.

Like Capel mentioned, other than those two.....it was a dud. I thought TMG did a few nice things, but he was also kind of sloppy at times. Tiny got himself into a little foul trouble again and got totally lost on defense a few times....I won't rip our defense for giving up some tough perimiter jumpers that the other guys hit, but we also gave up a TON of easy layups and slams on backdoor cuts, etc.

Willie? I have no idea. Didn't notice any poor body language like I did before, but I was hoping that his good effort down the stretch in Utah would carry over-- it did not. His shot is totally off right now and he doesn't seem to know what he wants to do out there. He did have a few nice assists, but they were offset by 5 turnovers. Most telling-- after attacking the basket with a vengence in Utah, Willie finished with ZERO FT attempts in the game. Can't figure him out. Luckily, he does seem to show up when we REALLY need him-- but he is certainly NOT playing like an All-American right now.

We ended the game on a horrible note. We took a 10 point lead with about 2 minutes to play and then proceeded to almost completely choke the game away. We missed the front end of a 1 and 1 on three consecutive trips and they got hot from deep. TMG missed a FT with 6 seconds left, but Crocker and Cade combined to force a bad pass and we won 80-79.

Capel is right about UTEP....solid team. They took 20th ranked Ole Miss into OT on the road last week. Game is Monday night at the Ford Center.....ESPN2 at 5:30.

GottaHavePride
12/20/2009, 12:53 AM
WOO! I made the list of bests!

badger
12/20/2009, 12:42 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/29kowb5.jpg
I would make this my avatar, but I've had bad luck with avvies this year, so I'll wait until 2010. Surely the curse will be gone by then :(

In any event, Capel is not one to put up with underperforming athletes. My guess is Cade gets to eat ice cream while the rest of the team shoots free throws while running wind sprints up steep hills... is that possible?

Based on coach's anger, Capel will make it possible. He'll be all like "Ok, girls. Since you all acted like a bunch of sissies, you will receive the Sisyphus treatment. Everyone board the bus to Ardmore. We're gonna push the basketball hoops up the Arbuckles till you all can make a free throw."

stoops the eternal pimp
12/20/2009, 05:25 PM
Once again, I don't see the hype around WW as one of the country's best guards....a good player but an all american?....