PDA

View Full Version : I think we picked up some big time commits tonight...

Soonerus
12/19/2009, 12:38 AM
...the guys in California..

picasso
12/19/2009, 12:48 AM
Yeah just watched their videos. Wow.

Jefferson kid is an athletic freak.

picasso
12/19/2009, 12:50 AM
Jefferson is being recruited as a safety/LB I've read.

betterstill
12/19/2009, 12:51 AM
It is official. They both announced they will be sooners. This from twitter at the Silver Pigskin Gala in San Diego.

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2009, 12:51 AM
He is. My mistake.

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2009, 12:52 AM
He is. My mistake.

picasso
12/19/2009, 12:52 AM
It is official. They both announced they will be sooners. This from twitter at the Silver Pigskin Gala in San Diego.

Already up on Scout.com.

picasso
12/19/2009, 12:53 AM

Already up on Scout.com.

Soonerus
12/19/2009, 01:00 AM
Wow, great class !!!

OU-HSV
12/19/2009, 01:21 AM
Great news...they look like a couple of very good players.
Man we have a lot of California players coming in don't we

Boomer!!
12/19/2009, 01:37 AM
Sweet! I think Stills is goin to be pretty good and Jefferson is awesomely athletic. 2 good recruits. Way to go Bob.

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2009, 01:48 AM
I love good news!

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2009, 02:18 AM
We have always done well with California players.

Stanley Wilson
Jamelle Holieway

I know there are far more. Help me out here.

ndpruitt03
12/19/2009, 02:27 AM
We have always done well with California players.

Stanley Wilson
Jamelle Holieway

I know there are far more. Help me out here.

Chris Chester
Lance Mitchell
Donte Nicholson...

IronHorseSooner
12/19/2009, 02:29 AM
Chris Chester
Lance Mitchell
Donte Nicholson...

How about TGRW!

Widescreen
12/19/2009, 02:31 AM
Damien Mackey
Pasha Jackson

ndpruitt03
12/19/2009, 02:38 AM
How about TGRW!

I was thinking more recent but yea that's a good one.

setem
12/19/2009, 02:48 AM
YES! Pulling kids out of Cali is good for business!

Now if we can get D. White to sign and Newton signs on this will be a Merry Christmas indeed!

rawlingsHOH
12/19/2009, 02:58 AM
Damien Mackey
Pasha Jackson

Chijioke!

rawlingsHOH
12/19/2009, 02:59 AM
Aaron Miller and Tommy Grady, transfered out.

ndpruitt03
12/19/2009, 04:14 AM
Joey Halzle was a backup, I think he's a GA now.

ndpruitt03
12/19/2009, 04:18 AM
Offensive Lineman Matt O'Neal who was a captain of Bob Stoops' first team is from San Marcos

Flagstaffsooner
12/19/2009, 05:40 AM
Wow, they didn't go for Pete's blow job, SUV and a free house/condo offer?

icmwhOU72
12/19/2009, 07:27 AM
i dont know how much you all follow recruiting, but i am all over it. Jefferson is a december grad so we will see him in the spring. BJW has told him that if he comes in and does everything he is supposed to do, then he will be the starter at SS this fall. He is going to wear number 8. with stills, he has his forty clocked at 4.36 on scout.com and looks to be the verticle threat we need.

I think that we are building the nastiest defense we have had in a long time. With guys that can hit you like tom wort and ronnell lewis and now jefferson, we got real nasty real quick.

KiiDSooNER
12/19/2009, 08:07 AM
Getting Jefferson/Stills were huge for this program. Jefferson looks to be a complete stud and should give us another speedy athlete that can hit. Stills has size, speed and must be legit if he was being recruited hard by Florida.

With them committing, I'm hoping that we go hard to Cam Newton now. He'll really help top off this recruiting class.

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2009, 08:07 AM
Jefferson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odLOnredJtw&feature=related

Stills
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTNL65WPzrI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goqlZPLQEfo&feature=related

VA Sooner
12/19/2009, 08:18 AM
The future's looking bright!

IronHorseSooner
12/19/2009, 08:33 AM
Stills, at least about a month ago, was a shoo-in for FLA by most services and by FLA supporters. SUC looked like a lock for Jefferson. We just went in an nabbed these guys. These guys are elite.

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2009, 09:00 AM
They will both be here January attending classes!

Sam.England
12/19/2009, 09:11 AM
Great news to log on and read! Really looking forward to seeing the D this year, its gonna be nasty!

MichiganSooner
12/19/2009, 09:21 AM
So, one is Jefferson and the other is Stills.

What are their first names; high school; position; who else wanted them?
sorry but I am out of the loop.

MiccoMacey
12/19/2009, 09:59 AM
Tony Jefferson's link from Rivals:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Tony-Jefferson-87951

Kenny Stills link from Rivals:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Kenny-Stills-68715

MiccoMacey
12/19/2009, 10:03 AM
Kenny Stills is ranked #1 in this class for best hands. That's gonna help a bunch.

SoonerStormchaser
12/19/2009, 10:12 AM
Chijioke!

Until his last season...

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2009, 10:18 AM
From Rivals

He is already ahead of the game because of his prowess as a route runner and spider-web hands.

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2009, 10:37 AM
Sooners land local blue-chip recruits
Jefferson, Stills will join Clay in Okla.
By Kevin Gemmell, STAFF WRITER

Saturday, December 19, 2009 at 1:59 a.m.

The University of Oklahoma has added two more elite high school football players from the region in La Costa Canyon wide receiver Kenny Stills Jr. and Eastlake safety Tony Jefferson.

With Scripps Ranch running back Brennan Clay accepting a scholarship offer from the Sooners before the season started, the three players represent a stunning recruiting haul by the Big 12 Conference school.

For a national program to nab three high-caliber athletes in one season from the San Diego area is virtually unheard of, especially a school like Oklahoma with no players from California on its current roster and only a handful west of Texas.

“It’s pretty weird the way it all worked out, and it doesn’t happen very often,” Jefferson said this week before he and Stills made an official announcement last night. “It’s definitely going to be something that will go down in history. They don’t really get guys from California. This is a huge step for them and for (San Diego football).”

Stills said Oklahoma just felt right.

“I came home and I was able to sit down and go through a few days without any stress,” Stills said. “I was never really worried. I just let things come to me. Tony and I talked about it and thought it would be really cool to do this together.”

Stills and Jefferson, who became friends through area football camps, said they plan to enroll at Oklahoma next month.

“Being able to go into spring football, I’ve got six more months on a lot of other people,” Jefferson said. “I’ll be getting acclimated to the playbook. That’s a huge step. Every freshman’s goal is to play early. This is the best way.”

Oklahoma’s recruiting coup underscores the difficulty San Diego State has in keeping blue-chip players close to home — though the Aztecs have made headway, getting commitments from seven local players, including four from Oceanside’s Division II championship team. SDSU also received a 2011 commitment from Cathedral Catholic lineman Mustafa Jalil.

While NCAA rules prohibit coaches from speaking about specific athletes until they sign, San Diego State coach Brady Hoke said he and his staff made every effort to keep local, high-profile athletes in San Diego.

“As things mature here, I think guys are going to see how we operate as a football program,” Hoke said. “We’re going to continue to work for local athletes. We’d love to have those high-profile kids stay and have a chance to play in front of their family and friends.”

Many of the elite recruits from the area are good friends — having met through football camps and social networking. Stills said there was some discussion among them about San Diego State, but ultimately most wanted to get out of the region or play for a BCS program.

Jefferson and Stills are part of what many consider to be the region’s top football recruiting class in many years.

“If you look where everyone is going and the number of scholarships that were given out, we’ve never had this many,” Eastlake coach John McFadden said. “We have two players in the Army All-American Bowl (Jefferson and Mission Bay’s Dillon Baxter, who has committed to USC). When was the last time that happened?”

All three Sooners-to-be entered the 2009 high school season amid fanfare. Jefferson had given a soft commitment to UCLA , but that faltered last month and schools such as USC or Florida seemed a likely spot for him to land. But then he took his trip to Oklahoma and was sold.

“It felt like home,” Jefferson said.

Stills was also on the Gators’ radar for much of the season. His father, Kenny Stills Sr., has ties to Florida and Oklahoma but has a close relationship with Sooners wide receivers coach Jay Norvell, who recruited the younger Stills.

Jefferson and Stills said they talked about the idea of going to school together and plan to be roommates — though both said they probably would have ended up at Oklahoma even if they weren’t good friends.

“We didn’t pressure each other or anything,” Stills said. “I was leaning that way and I think Tony was feeling it too. Then we swapped some texts and the rest is history.”

Kevin Gemmell: (619) 718-5304; [email protected]

okiedokie
12/19/2009, 10:43 AM
holy crap .. I forgot about that guy Chjioke or something like that? ha ha

Flagstaffsooner
12/19/2009, 10:54 AM
Before you guys start lubing up your hard-ons with Vasaline, remember that these are just recruits. Some work out some dont. Some come out of the shadows.

Just don't act like texass on this recruiting thing.
Show Sooner Class.

Harry Beanbag
12/19/2009, 11:06 AM
Before you guys start lubing up your hard-ons with Vasaline, remember that these are just recruits. Some work out some dont. Some come out of the shadows.

Show Sooner Class.

Can I still lube up my hard-on though? It's been awhile. :)

Dan Thompson
12/19/2009, 11:07 AM
One of you should start a Tofu line of food for these guys.

BTW, everyone else is leaving California, why not the football players.

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2009, 11:17 AM

Show Sooner Class.

We should be excited, or at the very least pleased to get couple of student athletes like these. They are graduating early, they come from solid homes, and they are good character guys. No matter if they flourish on the gridiron or not, we should want players like that attending OU. They both committed because they like the sense of family on campus, and you dont hear players say that everyday. They could have easily went to Florida or USC, but they chose us; so can we be a little happy?

Widescreen
12/19/2009, 11:39 AM
Flagstaff, you're right about not knowing how they will work out. It's possible neither of them will play a down at OU. But it's a little like a marriage. OU proposed, they said yes and we know they're quality guys with talent that could've said yes to someone else. It's OK to be excited about the prospects.

misplacedsooner
12/19/2009, 11:42 AM
plus they are both bad azz!!!! bring me the lube please.

MichiganSooner
12/19/2009, 05:21 PM
The Tulsa World said that D-1 teams are limited to 25 recruits per class and OU has 27 verbal commits and we are trying to help the O-line with a junior college recruit which would get us to 28. What happens if all 28 sign with OU on signing day? Just wondering how it works.

ndpruitt03
12/19/2009, 06:15 PM
The Tulsa World said that D-1 teams are limited to 25 recruits per class and OU has 27 verbal commits and we are trying to help the O-line with a junior college recruit which would get us to 28. What happens if all 28 sign with OU on signing day? Just wondering how it works.

Some teams have a few extra scholarships because some players leave or they were short a recruit the year before. You can only give out 85(or is it 90?) scholarships.

JLEW1818
12/19/2009, 06:15 PM
well this made my day

soonerguild
12/19/2009, 07:28 PM

You can only sign 25 for this years class. The thing is the guys that enroll early for the spring count towards LAST years class. So guys like jefferson, still, favors, and etc don't count for that 25. Bob has said he plans to sign around 30. We aren't going to have to kick anyone off or anything.

OUinFLA
12/19/2009, 08:14 PM
He is. My mistake.

Are you his illegitimate father?

soonerboy
12/19/2009, 08:46 PM
finally some news i dont have to slam my head against the wall when i hear it!

MichiganSooner
12/19/2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the explanation.

AzianSooner
12/19/2009, 10:01 PM
I like white dude wide receiver with an attitude look on his eyes.

freshchris05
12/19/2009, 10:25 PM

huh?

picasso
12/19/2009, 11:51 PM
Steve Sewell was from Cali.

yankee
12/19/2009, 11:51 PM
huh?

look into the eyes!! muahahahahaha

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Kenny-Stills-68715

MiccoMacey
12/20/2009, 01:07 PM

I'm like you...I don't know 100% either.

But we're trusting Stoops does...there's no way they bring in more than they're alloted, not in today's world where every thing every recruit does is scrutinized down to every detail.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/20/2009, 01:10 PM
I'm like you...I don't know 100% either.

But we're trusting Stoops does...there's no way they bring in more than they're alloted, not in today's world where every thing every recruit does is scrutinized down to every detail.Some of the recruits count against this yr's class, instead of the class to be signed in Feb, as I understand it.

MiccoMacey
12/20/2009, 01:13 PM
Also, if some people already here at OU leave early, I think you can pick some more up then also.

Thanks, RLIMC.

soonerguild
12/20/2009, 01:25 PM
You can only sign 25 for this years class. The thing is the guys that enroll early for the spring count towards LAST years class. So guys like jefferson, still, favors, and etc don't count for that 25. Bob has said he plans to sign around 30. We aren't going to have to kick anyone off or anything.

As i explained to michigansooner earlier in this thread, the players that enroll early this spring, stills, jerfferson, favors, i think there are 5 or six total, count towards last years class, just like the guys like wort that graduated and and enrolled early last year counted toward the 08 class.

We're gonna sign probably 3 more and maybe 4 with owens leaving.

12/20/2009, 01:33 PM
As i explained to michigansooner earlier in this thread, the players that enroll early this spring, stills, jerfferson, favors, i think there are 5 or six total, count towards last years class, just like the guys like wort that graduated and and enrolled early last year counted toward the 08 class.

We're gonna sign probably 3 more and maybe 4 with owens leaving.Yeah, then the NCAA will begin their investigation, while at the same time proclain the suc program a "National Treasure", or some such crapola.

boomermagic
12/21/2009, 10:34 AM
I remember a guy named Steve Sewell who came from Ca. as well.. He wasn't bad and played in the nfl..

TheBobbyTrain
12/21/2009, 12:03 PM
nm

BillyBall
12/21/2009, 12:23 PM

I'm still trying to translate crazy.

adoniijahsooner
12/21/2009, 01:56 PM
I'm still trying to translate crazy.

I tink wat he sayin is, "I would love to have a player like Shipley or Ed McCaffery. A white guy who plays with intensity and attitude." :confused:

goingoneight
12/21/2009, 02:55 PM
Stills, at least about a month ago, was a shoo-in for FLA by most services and by FLA supporters. SUC looked like a lock for Jefferson. We just went in an nabbed these guys. These guys are elite.

Some people around here think we need to be firing coaches because of a few injuries.

BillyBall
12/21/2009, 03:19 PM
I tink wat he sayin is, "I would love to have a player like Shipley or Ed McCaffery. A white guy who plays with intensity and attitude." :confused:

Then he failed miserably.

ashley
12/22/2009, 08:26 PM
Bobby Jack Wright has been out there once a week since our season was over. Great job.

12/22/2009, 08:53 PM
I tink wat he sayin is, "I would love to have a player like Shipley or Ed McCaffery. A white guy who plays with intensity and attitude." :confused:I thought he was calling Stills "white".

VA Sooner
12/22/2009, 10:19 PM
Regardless... we've got some good talent coming in. Need to mold that into productive effort on the field and a good season next year.