PDA

View Full Version : USC under investigation.....again!

SoCal
12/18/2009, 09:10 PM
USC investigating tailback Joe McKnight's use of vehicle

Junior tailback McKnight, the Trojans' leading rusher, has been driving an SUV owned by a Santa Monica businessman, a possible violation of NCAA rules.

By Gary Klein and Lance Pugmire
3:52 PM PST, December 18, 2009

LINK

Joe McKnight, star tailback of USC's football team, has been driving a sport utility vehicle owned by a Santa Monica businessman, an arrangement the school is investigating and may be in violation of college rules.

The NCAA, which governs major college sports, prohibits student athletes from accepting benefits from marketing representatives or agents or "extra benefits" based on their athletic ability.

For several weeks, McKnight has been seen driving a well-kept 2006 Land Rover that, according to California Department of Motor Vehicles records, is registered to Scott Schenter.

Schenter, 47, has a background that includes marketing, and a company he owned registered a website called 4joemcknight.com. It is unclear whether Schenter has any ties with USC or the school had knowledge of his activities.

If it's found that McKnight is in violation of NCAA rules, it could affect his athletic eligibility. USC's football team will next play against Boston College in the Emerald Bowl on Dec. 26 in San Francisco.

Trouble for McKnight, the Trojans' leading rusher this season with 1,014 yards, would be another hit to a USC athletics program already under investigation by the NCAA and the Pacific 10 Conference regarding allegations that former football tailback Reggie Bush and former basketball player O.J. Mayo received improper benefits while playing for the Trojans. The NCAA combined the investigations to examine whether the school failed to exert proper institutional control.

Tom Yeager, a former chairman of the NCAA infractions committee who is commissioner of the Colonial Athletic Assn., said universities are expected to be diligent regardless of whether they are repeat offenders or are dealing with infractions for the first time. He added, however, "The stakes go up just like someone making a return appearance in court. A judge is not going to be as sympathetic."

A DMV official said records show Schenter paid about $27,000 for the Land Rover and registered it in September. A Times reporter saw McKnight driving it several times in the last couple of weeks.

On Nov. 25, the SUV was parked outside the entrance to USC's practice facility, its emergency lights flashing as players, coaches and athletic department personnel exited the gate. Several coaches stopped to greet McKnight's girlfriend, who was seated in the passenger seat. McKnight came out of the locker room carrying his son on his shoulders, exchanged pleasantries with Coach Pete Carroll, who was walking with visitors, and made his way to the street where the Land Rover was parked.

The next day, McKnight left practice and drove away alone in the vehicle. He was also by himself as he drove the SUV from practice last Saturday.

Approached Wednesday after practice, McKnight acknowledged riding in the Land Rover but said he has never driven it. McKnight said his girlfriend, Johana Michelle Beltran, works as a secretary for Schenter, although the player said he did not know him.

McKnight and Beltran are the parents of a 10-month-old son, Jaiden. McKnight said the Land Rover was "my baby mama's boss'.

"I never talk to her about it," he added. "I just see it whenever my girlfriend's around with my kid. I ask no questions. I just do what I got to do."

USC asks its athletes to provide written documentation about the vehicles they drive on campus. McKnight said Wednesday that he had not provided the school information on the Land Rover because he hadn't driven it.

However, Todd Dickey, USC's senior vice president for administration, said Friday McKnight did provide the school with written documentation that he was driving the vehicle. Athletics' spokesman Tim Tessalone said the running back had been "mistaken" in his account. Tessalone declined a request to see the documentation or say when the information was filed.

Given a hypothetical scenario similar to McKnight's, an NCAA spokesman said the following rules might apply:

NCAA by-law 12.3.1.2 says that a student-athlete shall be ineligible if he, or relatives or friends, accepts transportation or other benefits from agents or marketing representatives. NCAA by-law 12.1.2.1.6 prohibits preferential treatment, benefits or services because of the individual's athletics reputation or skill or pay-back potential as a professional athlete.

Schenter is in South Africa, according to his wife, Dawn. She said she didn't know what connection her husband might have with McKnight. Asked about Schenter's businesses she said, "He's involved in a lot of things. I don't know what he's doing."

Reached by e-mail this week, Schenter was sent a list of questions regarding his businesses, McKnight and the Land Rover. Since then, he has not responded to multiple requests for answers.

Dickey said USC officials planned to speak with Schenter when he gets back in town next week.

According to documents in the Los Angeles County Registrar's office, Schenter filed papers in May 2008 to own and operate businesses called "USC Marketing" and "Brighter."

Other records show Brighter later registered for 4joemcknight.com and Schenter was listed as the administrative contact for that site and several other domains, including ojaymayo.com and uscmarketing.com. None of those sites are currently active.

Schenter also has a LinkedIn account that says he is president of TeslaVision, though a person who answered the phone at the business' Kirkland, Wash., headquarters said he no longer worked for the company. On its website, TeslaVision is described as providing "communication solutions to the advertising, vending, gaming, marketing, promotion, entertainment, and point-of-sales industries."

McKnight said he was not familiar with Schenter's line of work and that he had spent this season living near campus, apart from his girlfriend and their son.

"I play football and I have a child," said McKnight, who grew up in a low-income area outside New Orleans. "I'm not the type to get into everybody's business. I worry about my own."

He said Beltran's father may have paid Schenter for using the Land Rover, but repeated, "I never drove the vehicle, I've never driven it. I know I can't drive cars I'm not supposed to. If somebody said they spotted me driving, they're seeing wrong. I don't even have the keys."

Provided a document showing that Schenter had owned the domain 4joemcknight.com, the running back said, "I haven't done anything wrong. I'm just being a football player and a father to my child.

"I won't break any rules because I know if I do I can't get on the football field. I'm trying to keep my life secure and stay on the football field."

Beltran and Jaiden attended several Trojans practices and games this season, including a game in September at the University of Washington in Seattle. McKnight said he didn't know who paid for their transportation to the game.

Schenter is a 1985 graduate of Washington's business school, according to its alumni office. TeslaVision has its headquarters just across Lake Washington from Seattle.

Attempts to reach Beltran independently and through McKnight were unsuccessful.

McKnight, a junior, is eligible for the NFL draft and said this week he was undecided whether he would turn pro or return to school. This season, he became the Trojans' first 1,000-yard rusher since Bush and LenDale White in 2005, though he, like the rest of the team, experienced a roller-coaster season.

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2009, 09:12 PM
So in 2027 they will end up giving up 1 scholly and have to skip dessert?

AlbqSooner
12/18/2009, 09:29 PM
Joe McKnight already avoided problems for himself and USC when he said that while he was being recruited, Coach Petey called him and hooked up a 3 way call with Reggie Bush to tell him the advantages of being a trojan. He later said that he was mistaken when he made that statement. Unfortunately, Petey and uSuc will refuse to cooperate with the NCAA and this will die a slow and extended death.

Jacie
12/18/2009, 09:37 PM
Reading between the lines with Joe McKnight:

Joe McKnight, star tailback of USC's football team, has been driving a sport utility vehicle owned by a Santa Monica businessman, an arrangement the school is investigating and may be in violation of college rules.

Joe does not remember doing this.

For several weeks, McKnight has been seen driving a well-kept 2006 Land Rover that, according to California Department of Motor Vehicles records, is registered to Scott Schenter.

Joe said it was not him.

Schenter, 47, has a background that includes marketing, and a company he owned registered a website called 4joemcknight.com.

This guy isn't even trying to hide being an agent for Joe.

If it's found that McKnight is in violation of NCAA rules, it could affect his athletic eligibility.

Unless they can wrap up an investigation before the end of the month, Joe won't be around to be declared ineligible.

Trouble for McKnight, the Trojans' leading rusher this season with 1,014 yards, would be another hit to a USC athletics program already under investigation by the NCAA and the Pacific 10 Conference regarding allegations that former football tailback Reggie Bush and former basketball player O.J. Mayo received improper benefits while playing for the Trojans.

Another hit? They didn't take a first hit!

A DMV official said records show Schenter paid about $27,000 for the Land Rover and registered it in September. A Times reporter saw McKnight driving it several times in the last couple of weeks.

The Times needs to send this reporter to an optometrist. Joe said it was not him!

On Nov. 25, the SUV was parked outside the entrance to USC's practice facility, its emergency lights flashing as players, coaches and athletic department personnel exited the gate. Several coaches stopped to greet McKnight's girlfriend, who was seated in the passenger seat.

Actually, she was in the driver's seat. Being an English vehicle, the controls are on the right side, not the left.

The next day, McKnight left practice and drove away alone in the vehicle. He was also by himself as he drove the SUV from practice last Saturday.

This was not Joe. He told us that already.

Approached Wednesday after practice, McKnight acknowledged riding in the Land Rover but said he has never driven it.

See!

USC asks its athletes to provide written documentation about the vehicles they drive on campus. McKnight said Wednesday that he had not provided the school information on the Land Rover because he hadn't driven it.

How many times does he have to tell us?

However, Todd Dickey, USC's senior vice president for administration, said Friday McKnight did provide the school with written documentation that he was driving the vehicle. Athletics' spokesman Tim Tessalone said the running back had been "mistaken" in his account.

Joe doesn't make mistakes. It is Tessalone who is mistaken.

Reached by e-mail this week, Schenter was sent a list of questions regarding his businesses, McKnight and the Land Rover. Since then, he has not responded to multiple requests for answers.

Perhaps he needs to see them with multiple choice answers to pick from.

Other records show Brighter later registered for 4joemcknight.com and Schenter was listed as the administrative contact for that site and several other domains, including ojaymayo.com and uscmarketing.com.

It all sounds perfectly innocent to me.

He said Beltran's father may have paid Schenter for using the Land Rover, but repeated, "I never drove the vehicle, I've never driven it. I know I can't drive cars I'm not supposed to. If somebody said they spotted me driving, they're seeing wrong. I don't even have the keys."

Joe does not lie.

Provided a document showing that Schenter had owned the domain 4joemcknight.com, the running back said, "I haven't done anything wrong. I'm just being a football player and a father to my child.

He has done nothing wrong.

"I won't break any rules because I know if I do I can't get on the football field. I'm trying to keep my life secure and stay on the football field."

And out from behind the wheel of Schenter's Land Rover.

McKnight, a junior, is eligible for the NFL draft and said this week he was undecided whether he would turn pro or return to school.

He is probably closer to a decision now that this article came out.

homerSimpsonsBrain
12/18/2009, 09:46 PM
<petey carrol> nothing to see here. move along ya lookie loos</petey carol>

BoulderSooner79
12/18/2009, 09:47 PM
This is why 'SC is my #1 hate team - they seem to have a different set of rules than other teams. If Petey and co. get their pick of 5 star recruits at every position playing by the same rules as we do, then more power to 'em. But when I see them pull the top players from homer states like Louisiana and Tennessee among others, I always have doubts. Then throw in all the Reggie Bush issues with no apparent repercussions... I guess i shouldn't be so cynical.

soonerspudman
12/18/2009, 11:55 PM
No worries, the NCAA, with much assistance from the Disney Machine, will bury this until people forget about it, just like that Reggie Bush whatever thingy that that everyone has forgotten about.

Meanwhile, the NCAA continues to monitor programs like OU closely to ensure college football remains pure and free of corruption.

sendbaht
12/19/2009, 12:07 AM
It's ok it's USC. They will just say "no he didn't" for a few years and that will be it.

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2009, 12:23 AM
This is very troubling news. It is crucial to the spirit of amateur athletics that athletic programs abide by the rules. Therefore, we will have to shut down the investigation of Reggie Bush until we get to the bottom of this.

westcoast_sooner
12/19/2009, 01:32 AM
<petey carrol> nothing to see here. move along ya lookie loos</petey carol>

^THIS.
And NOTHING will happen to USC. An NCAA Cash COW/Golden Program/Clone of that team in Austin.

VA Sooner
12/19/2009, 08:29 AM
Agree... nothing will happen to USC.

As much evidence as there is in this case... especially with the website... would have been trouble for any other program.

Dan Thompson
12/19/2009, 11:35 AM
A couple of years ago, just before the LSU MNC game, I was going thru OKC and I stopped by Owens Field.

As we where leaving someone, I think it was one of the players, pulled out of the little parking area on the South East side of the stadium. They where driving a MB ML55 AMG.

As much as those things cost, it must have been Bob's DD.

Widescreen
12/19/2009, 11:45 AM
A couple of years ago, just before the LSU MNC game, I was going thru OKC and I stopped by Owens Field.
Where is Owens Field?

As we where leaving someone, I think it was one of the players, pulled out of the little parking area on the South East side of the stadium. They where driving a MB ML55 AMG.

Well that right there should be enough evidence for sanctions at OU.

badger
12/19/2009, 11:51 AM
Now that USC sucks they can bring down the ban hammer on em

StoopTroup
12/19/2009, 11:55 AM
If Scott Schenter and McKnight are married...none of this will matter. I'm pretty sure it will be cleared up once they are back from their weekend trip in Connecticut.

ictsooner7
12/19/2009, 01:12 PM
So in 2027 they will end up giving up 1 scholly and have to skip dessert?

No they won't, they'll pull a snider and susupend the kid as soon as he declears himself to the NFL.

fadada1
12/19/2009, 01:22 PM

As much as those things cost, it must have been Bob's DD.

aubry beavers drove a brand new ZR1 'Vette while on campus. dude couldn't even spell his own name - figure that one out.

Sonner magic923
12/19/2009, 01:46 PM
this sh*t is getting old how many times can they seriously get away with just blatantly breaking the rules. How does the ncaa keep a straight face when they come down on anyone else. With all this going on if i was fsu Id tell em to f*** off till u do something to them.

gotpoi73
12/19/2009, 03:32 PM
hey doesn't even have a license, lisa

IronHorseSooner
12/19/2009, 03:40 PM
Like I've said before, if this were us, 'Bama, OSU, Nebraska, or Tech, the NCAA would have descended like flies on Bevo's backside. How the NCAA enforcement division can look themselves in the mirror, I have no clue. I guess the rule of law doesn't exist within the NCAA, but the idea of "money talks, BS walks" surely does.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/19/2009, 04:56 PM
Their USC, nothing will happen.

SoCal
12/20/2009, 09:04 AM
The Santa Monica businessman who owns a sport utility vehicle that USC tailback Joe McKnight has been observed driving says he is a University of Washington fan who has "nothing to do with agents, marketing players or representing athletes."

USC is investigating McKnight's use of the vehicle, which may constitute a violation of NCAA rules that prohibit student-athletes from accepting benefits from marketing representatives or agents, or "extra benefits" from anyone based on their athletic ability.

The Times published a story on its website Friday and in Saturday's newspaper about McKnight's use of the 2006 Land Rover the last few weeks. The vehicle is registered to Scott Schenter, who owns and has worked for several companies with marketing interests.

McKnight said Wednesday that he never drove the Land Rover. But a Times reporter observed the junior from Louisiana driving the vehicle several times.

Last week, Schenter answered an initial e-mail query from a Times reporter, by asking what the reporter wanted to talk about. Five subsequent e-mails -- some of which included questions about the vehicle, Schenter's businesses and his relationships with USC, McKnight and McKnight's girlfriend -- received no reply until Saturday.

In an e-mail, Schenter said he was in Johannesburg, South Africa, "finalizing a major business deal," and complained The Times had not given him adequate opportunity to respond to questions. He said, "The Internet is very expensive to use and I had meetings scheduled all week with no time to check the Internet."

(The full text of Schenter's e-mailed comments can be found at http://tinyurl.com/ykeb7vu)

Schenter said he has worked more than 21 years for the Los Angeles County Assessor's office appraising high-value homes. He said he also was "an entrepreneur that has his hands in numerous businesses and investment opportunities," and that "I would rather be known for my expertise in my marketing and finance ventures (there are more)."

Schenter said that McKnight's girlfriend, Johanna Michelle Beltran, was "a longtime family friend" and an "employee of Smart Bullets Inc.," which "has a patent to turn nuclear wastes into valuable metals." Schenter did not explain his involvement in the company or detail Beltran's job description or employment history. McKnight told The Times last week that Beltran is Schenter's secretary.

Schenter also did not return e-mails seeking clarification about his business ventures and personal relationships with McKnight and Beltran.

McKnight did not return calls to his cellphone and attempts by The Times to reach Beltran, through McKnight and independently, were unsuccessful.

Schenter said he registered the Land Rover, which a Department of Motor Vehicles official said carried a purchase price of about $27,000, because Beltran's parents could not qualify for a loan. "It is her car," Schenter said. He also said Beltran makes the payments and is responsible for insurance.

"The payments are a little over $500/month (not a big amount)," he wrote. A DMV official said last week that the registration had been suspended because of lack of proof of insurance.

Documents in the Los Angeles County Registrar's office show that in May 2008, Schenter registered two companies, "Brighter" and "USC Marketing." Schenter said in his e-mail that USC stood for United States China Marketing.

Other records show Brighter later registered for the website domain 4joemcknight.com and Schenter was listed as the administrative contact for that site and several other domains, including ojaymayo.com and uscmarketing.com. None of those sites are currently active.

"I only purchased www.4joemcknight.com (didn't renew) because I thought it was clever along with the many other ones I own/owned," Schenter said. "Michelle Beltran knew nothing of this website." Schenter said his other domains include uscromeo.com, uclalove.com, 24kobe.com and airkobe.com.

[email protected] twitter.com/latimesklein

[email protected] twitter.com/latimespugmire

tulsaoilerfan
12/20/2009, 11:23 AM
The guy says he helped McKnight's GF buy it because she couldn't get the loan, but that she is making the payments and insurance; yeah, riiiiiiiggggghhhhhtttttt

boomersooner28
12/20/2009, 02:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4758848

There is so much BS in this story I got some on my shoes just reading it. :rolleyes:

"USC Marketing" stands for United States China, Schenter says. LMAO!!!:D

What a dooooosh

soonerspudman
12/20/2009, 02:35 PM
Yea, it's all BS, but it's all that USC and the NCAA (and ESPiN) need to sweep in under the rug.

tanjou
12/20/2009, 08:14 PM
I always saw Peterson in a Lexus SUV when I was in school.

Nothing weird about that either, no doubt.

Lasagna
12/21/2009, 08:53 PM
http://www.birdsinthebelfry.com/sign%20sweep%20under%20rug.jpg

ESPN: "Nothing to see here people, move along."

spatton713
12/21/2009, 09:10 PM
what ever happened with the bush investigation?

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2009, 10:55 PM
what ever happened with the bush investigation?

I investigated the bush very closely and carefully.

SoCal
12/22/2009, 09:54 AM
The hits just keep coming for USC.

Starting running back and leading rusher Joe McKnight did not travel with the Trojans to the Bay Area for Saturday's Emerald Bowl against Boston College, while tight end Anthony McCoy, offensive tackle Tyron Smith and defensive tackle Averell Spicer have been ruled academically ineligible, the school announced.

"[McKnight] has some paperwork he needs to do and it's best for him to stay in L.A. so he can be available to finish it," Trojans coach Pete Carroll said.

Carroll did not have a timetable for McKnight's return.

"We don't know right now how long this will take," he said.

McCoy and Smith are both starters and earned honorable mention All-Pac-10 honors. Spicer is a key reserve. McCoy and Spicer are both seniors, so their USC careers are over.

"We're really disappointed these guys didn't come through," Carroll said in a statement. "They had all the help in the world to get it done and they didn't do it."

Late Friday, the Los Angeles Times reported that McKnight had been using a 2006 Land Rover that belonged to a Santa Monica businessman who reportedly employs McKnight's girlfriend. That could violate NCAA rules as an extra benefit, which could also make the junior ineligible for the bowl game.

McCoy will be replaced by sophomore Rhett Ellison, while redshirt freshman Matt Kalil will replace Smith.

McKnight has denied driving the car, but the Los Angeles Times said in a story that one of its reporters has seen USC's leading rusher driving the SUV several times.

USC is investigating McKnight's use of the vehicle to find out if it is in violation of NCAA rules.

The businessman, Scott Schenter, told the Times that McKnight's girlfriend owns the car and makes the payments and that he helped purchase it when her family had trouble qualifying for a loan.

USC is already being investigated by the NCAA and Pac-10 regarding accusations that running back Reggie Bush and basketball star O.J. Mayo received improper benefits during their time at the school.

StoopTroup
12/22/2009, 10:33 AM
Switzer was so right back in the 70's. Just allow some dough to float these kids way. You just can't stop things like this from happening. America isn't designed to keep money in check...it's designed to spread the wealth.

The NCAA is slowing ruining College Football.

The businessman, Scott Schenter, told the Times that McKnight's girlfriend owns the car and makes the payments and that he helped purchase it when her family had trouble qualifying for a loan. :rolleyes:

Guess we'll need another rule for Girlfriends now....lol:rolleyes:

IronHorseSooner
12/22/2009, 10:51 AM
http://www.birdsinthebelfry.com/sign%20sweep%20under%20rug.jpg

ESPN: "Nothing to see here people, move along."

Yep, last night on PTI, this issue came up as a talking point, and BOTH of them said that nothing will happen. Why, you ask? Because, according to Wilbon, the NCAA doesn't have the cajones to go after SUC. My jaw dropped. That just furthers the point that there is no rule of law with the NCAA. I guess it's the college football version of "too big to fail."

OUDoc
12/22/2009, 10:54 AM
The good news is maybe USC can bring down the NCAA.

MamaMia
12/22/2009, 11:02 AM
USC Marketing stands for "United States China?" Yeah, what...ever. :rolleyes:

IronHorseSooner
12/22/2009, 11:13 AM
USC Marketing stands for "United States China?" Yeah, what...ever. :rolleyes:

Yeah, and I have a wall in China to sell you, if you believe that carp:mad:

flopshotjoe99
12/22/2009, 03:35 PM
USC is the only relevant school West of Norman, they are untouchable for that reason alone. Such BS.

picasso
12/22/2009, 03:41 PM
No they won't, they'll pull a snider and susupend the kid as soon as he declears himself to the NFL.

huh?

picasso
12/22/2009, 03:42 PM
I always saw Peterson in a Lexus SUV when I was in school.

Nothing weird about that either, no doubt.

I call bull****. I saw him once at Norman eatery and he was driving a clunker although it had nice rims.

Red October
12/23/2009, 02:02 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-sp-simers23-2009dec23,0,1552340,full.column

T.J. SIMERS

USC Coach Pete Carroll has been hung out to dry by Mike Garrett

From San Francisco

Where's Mike Garrett?

Every time I run into the USC athletic director he takes off running, only now beginning to understand why -- obviously the administrator in training for the next controversy to plague his athletic department.

Former USC basketball coach Tim Floyd told The Times recently Garrett abandoned him when Floyd had his problems.

"Mike's reputation took precedence," Floyd said. "All loyalty, all support stopped."

Here we go again, Pete Carroll now on the spot, the perception nationally the Trojans' football program is out of control, if not in need of an NCAA spanking, and Garrett is nowhere to be found to assist the guy who saved his career.

Garrett owes every day on the job, every penny earned to Carroll after stumbling across him almost a decade ago and hiring him to take the job Mike Riley, Dennis Erickson and Mike Bellotti turned down.

And now, as wacky as it is to even suggest, Carroll needs Garrett to buy him some time to regroup.

It has been a terrible year for Carroll, starting with the embarrassing way he reacted to Mark Sanchez's decision to turn pro knowing more than anyone he'd be left without a solid quarterback -- and leading all the way up to this week and the Joe McKnight affair and three players declared academically ineligible.

"I don't think he did anything wrong," Carroll says, but if that's the case, then why isn't McKnight here practicing with his teammates?

"It's out of my hands," Carroll says, a hint of dissatisfaction and even disagreement in his voice, and so where's Garrett, the school's top athletic administrator, who might explain such things?

The way this season has gone, does USC really want a flippant Carroll, who sometimes cannot hide his athletic arrogance, to do the talking?

"You let everyone down this season," he's told by way of teasing Monday, you know, "everyone figuring Uncle Pete would never allow Oregon and Stanford do what they did to one of your teams, not to mention Arizona."

"I agree," Carroll says, while acknowledging the PR hits are beginning to add up. "It started with Sanchez."

There's also the controversy regarding UCLA, recruiting and Ken NortonJr., Carroll allowing an unsportsmanlike bomb thrown against the Bruins, three players declared academically ineligible this week and the undisciplined behavior of his players at times.

He might win arguments to the contrary on any one of these, but cumulatively they paint a troubling picture.

"You're right," he says. "And it hits you right in the gut.

"I care so much about this program, but all I can do is just keep battling."

He says he has talked to McKnight but never asked him why he lied -- saying he never drove a car that a Times reporter spotted him driving several times. And why not?

"I asked him what happened and I know what Joe told me, but I can't say," Carroll says.

If McKnight has done nothing wrong, why can't Carroll say?

"Let's go on . . . anybody else [have a question]?" he snaps, testy, defensive and essentially helpless.

Why isn't Garrett here, Carroll answering the football questions and Garrett the administrative inquiries? What's Garrett doing? Ordering socks for the women's volleyball program?

Call his office, and all you get is an answering machine. Maybe he's expecting a call from the NCAA.

A spokesman says Garrett is at the Nut Bowl's V.I.P. dinner, his way of saying he's unavailable, and I guess a Very Important Peanut.

Seven years ago this week, the toughest question facing Carroll and his No. 5-ranked Trojans was why had they all welcomed O.J. Simpson to an Orange Bowl practice.

That was considered a controversy, Carroll taking some heat after saying, "It's great to see O.J. come out," the Trojans hugging Simpson and many asking for his autograph.

Here's how things have changed: Everyone wants to know whether McKnight will ever again be welcomed to a USC practice, the unranked Trojans preparing for the Nut Bowl, practicing at City College of San Francisco where Simpson played, but -- in what might be considered the only sign of progress of late -- honoring Simpson's memory with a tour of Alcatraz.

It's been a grand ride for USC until now, the Reggie Bush whatever hanging somewhere in the air, but so many games sold out in the Coliseum and so much fanfare.

There's no reason to think Carroll has lost it, maybe some of his athletic arrogance tamed a tad as he reflects on his inability to overcome the transition of so many players to the NFL in the last two years.

But now how does he keep each bit of bad news from feeling like an avalanche?

For example, did the players declared academically ineligible recently quit on Carroll after it became obvious the Trojans would not be playing in one of the more prestigious bowl games?

"We don't do the work for them," Carroll says, which is good to know should that ever become an issue.

USC has tutors and academic advisors, and doesn't someone let Carroll know if someone is in jeopardy of not making grades? So why does he call it a "surprise" when they do not?

Why is such a lame excuse offered in explaining why McKnight didn't make the trip here -- too much paperwork to do? He can't take it with him, and use some form of modern-day communication to return it?

Each question adds to the suspicion that USC football is dirty, crumbling or has lost its focus.

A school with an athletic director, who has a spokesman read a statement to the media while sitting a few feet away, does nothing but introduce Mickey Mouse behavior into the discussion.

The nature of the sports fan makes it very simple, more expected of Carroll now after giving everyone everything they could want the last seven years. It's on him.

But if anyone should be working day and night to deflect or keep the heat off Carroll, it is Garrett, who has gotten a free ride thanks to USC's football success.

OUDoc
12/23/2009, 02:20 PM
Each question adds to the suspicion that USC football is dirty, crumbling or has lost its focus.
No, not crumbling or losing it's focus.