PDA

View Full Version : Now the Pac10 is talking expansion...

TMcGee86
12/18/2009, 06:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/6381/pac-10-will-consider-expansion

:pop:

olevetonahill
12/18/2009, 06:37 PM
They been talking about this on the Cats boards fer a week er two now
I hope they Do

ndpruitt03
12/18/2009, 06:44 PM
I think every conference wants in on the title game money

olevetonahill
12/18/2009, 06:46 PM
Nick , How and when didja get green,
Good luck

ndpruitt03
12/18/2009, 06:53 PM
Nick , How and when didja get green,
Good luck

Didn't even know I was green? Maybe I should try and red myself.

badger
12/18/2009, 07:06 PM
I am kind of surprised that it took this long for them to jump on the title game bandwagon. I mean, the Big 12 has had a title game for like 12, 13, 14 years now, right? So have a few other conferences! Why wait for Barry Alvarez or Joe Pa to open their mouths?!

If the Pac 10 expands,they should consider the Utah market. Hell, I wouldn't mind grabbing one of the big Utah school myself. We still need to kick BYU's arse! :mad:

:D

silverwheels
12/18/2009, 07:23 PM
The Pac-10 has been discussing this longer than the article suggests, although not always seriously. I think they should stay the way they are. They have the perfect regular season schedule setup. Plus if they want to remain geographically true to their name, there are very few realistic options. Utah and BYU would probably be the best combo, but I don't think the current bigwigs in the Pac-10 are fond of BYU's very close association with the LDS church. Most of the other schools in the region couldn't keep up academically or in other sports with the rest of the Pac-10.

mightysooner
12/18/2009, 07:32 PM
Given the domination of the NT game by the SEC BIG XII teams I'd say they probably should.

tommieharris91
12/18/2009, 07:37 PM
Adding Utah and BYU make geographical sense for them...

olevetonahill
12/18/2009, 07:49 PM
Didn't even know I was green? Maybe I should try and red myself.

Just keep Postin , it will happen :P

SoCal
12/18/2009, 09:24 PM
BYU would screw up all the non-football athletic schedules...for example, baseball plays a 3-game weekend series...BYU doesn't play on Sundays. That would effect baseball weekday games as well.

AlbqSooner
12/18/2009, 09:35 PM
Give Mizzou to the Big Tenleven and bring Arkansas in to the Big XII North.
Give Colorado to the Pac 10 and bring TCU in to the Big XII South, pushing the pokies to the North.:D

Jacie
12/18/2009, 10:06 PM
The Pac 10 should add Boise State and San Diego State.

Those two teams provide balance.

One is way north (and somewhat east) fitting in nicely with the Oregon/Washington teams, while the other is as south as you can get this side of Mexico, firmly on the coast and convenient for the SoCal and Arizona teams.

One is decent and the other usually struggles (though two patsies would be ideal additions, one is accepatable so long as they don't add two powerhouse teams).

Both teams play at the site of bowl games, the Holiday and Humanitarian Bowls.

silverwheels
12/19/2009, 12:13 AM
Boise and SDSU aren't rivals though (each school already in the Pac-10 is paired perfectly with another school), and I don't think either really bring a whole lot to the table overall.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/19/2009, 06:06 PM
Boise State and Utah make the most sense here. Utah could be substituted for Utah, but I am tired of Boise State whining that no one wants to play them, so put them in and let them go!

PrideTrombone
12/19/2009, 06:28 PM
SDSU and Boise aren't going to fit into the Pac-10's self-image of their academics. Of the schools out that way, really only BYU and Utah fit in athletically and academically to what the Pac-10 already has, and already have a built in rivalry, plus Salt Lake City's TV market. Unless they want to make a play for Colorado to pick up Denver's market (and if they do I say we let CU go), BYU and Utah are the logical choices.

soonervegas
12/19/2009, 08:37 PM
Here is my guesstimate:

Mizzou stays and the Big 10 goes for Syracuse.

I say the PAC-10 make a play for Colorado and Texas, but end up with Utah and Colorado after Texas flirts and holds up the Big 12 for MORE power. (The Pac 10 won't go for BYU for the reasons listed above in a previous post)

We replace Colorado with BYU.

PLaw
12/21/2009, 07:15 AM
Give Mizzou to the Big Tenleven and bring Arkansas in to the Big XII North.
Give Colorado to the Pac 10 and bring TCU in to the Big XII South, pushing the pokies to the North.:D

No way the Big XII pulls a school from the SEC and we really don't need another private school in the mix, unless it's ND. Now, that would be interesting ND to the Big XII North - but that ain't going to happen either.

In the long run, Utah and BYU or Boise State to the Pac-10 makes a lot of sense. It's also doubtful that ND would join the Big 10, but that makes a lot of sense, too. Look for Pitt to the Big 10.

BOOMER

TexasLidig8r
12/21/2009, 09:51 AM
In the long run, Utah and BYU or Boise State to the Pac-10 makes a lot of sense.

No.. it doesn't make any sense at all.

People... it's not about geography.

It's not about having a competitive football team and will your football team make the conference's reputation stronger.

For universities... it's about dollars and cents.

Look at it this way. As a member of the Pac 10, you split the television revenue 10 ways. You want to add 2 teams to have a championship game. So, you do this. That means, the money received from a championship game, one game, is split amongst all 12 teams... but this amount does not make up for the fact that your overall television revenue is now split amongst 12 schools.. and not just 10.

So, as conference commissioner and university presidents, you know that the 2 teams you bring in have to bring substantial television markets to which you do not already have saturation.

As for San Diego.. there are much UCLA and SC grads in San Diego with a greater following, than the Aztecs have.

What about Utah? Besides a relatively small Salt Lake City, do Utah and Boise State have any huge national appeal? uh yeah.. NO.

ok.. what about BYU... there are a lot of Mormans (yes.. I know. it is Mormon).. in the US... but, are they as passionate about football..will they buy the corporate merchandise being pimped during games? Who knows? then there is the scheduling and no Sunday issues.

So... that leaves... Colorado .. and Texas. Imagine if those two schools go to the Pac 10 to become the Pac 12. That means you have the television markets of Seattle, San Francisco-Oakland, Los Angeles, Phoenix-Tempe, Dallas, Houston, Denver...and THAT is a hell of a lot of televisions for corporations to pimp to. The revamped television contracts would result in millions of additional revenue for the schools. Money that is spread between the athletic departments and academia.

If Missouri goes to the Big 10/11 (and why wouldn't they.. it means substantially more television revenue split equally amongst the teams instead of the disproportionate shares doled out in the Big 12, that leaves a HUGE hole in the conference.

Arkansas and LSU will not leave the more lucrative SEC.

TCU brings nothing to the table in terms of television markets.. nor does Colorado State, nor any of the Utah schools.

Here's a pretty fair assessment of the situation.. even if it is a K-State blog...

http://www.bringonthecats.com/2009/12/21/1208145/part-ii-why-the-big-12-needs-to-do

Interesting times await.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/21/2009, 10:11 AM
I am willing to give up the TV markets for Texas leaving. Fair trade. We will still have A&M to cover those markets and we wouldn't have to deal with UT fans in the conference. I say it is a win-win. ;)

IronHorseSooner
12/21/2009, 10:53 AM
I am willing to give up the TV markets for Texas leaving. Fair trade. We will still have A&M to cover those markets and we wouldn't have to deal with UT fans in the conference. I say it is a win-win. ;)

Here freaking here! Maybe we could some decent calls in some games now!

Lott's Bandana
12/21/2009, 11:14 AM
Great link Lid...that was an interesting read.