PDA

View Full Version : little purple potatoes

TUSooner
12/18/2009, 04:59 PM
Mrs TU got some from some folks she knows. She waters their garden while they are away, so they gave her some goodies before they left again (for OK, as a matter of fact). I've never seen such things. They're dark-skinned and the tater meat is purple. Anybody ever cooked or eaten such as these?

olevetonahill
12/18/2009, 05:04 PM
Not sure about that

But I did throw away a sack of taters that were Green inside
about a 1/4 inch in the dayum things were Green , I cut one open and it looked like some kind Crystals were formin .

I wuz skeered the PoPos would come so i chunked em Down the Hill

Dayum meth heads are everywhere:eek:

OULenexaman
12/18/2009, 05:05 PM
those sound like mushrooms....good ones...after a while they look like taters...

olevetonahill
12/18/2009, 05:06 PM
those sound like mushrooms....good ones...after a while they look like taters...

HEH :D

Partial Qualifier
12/18/2009, 05:12 PM
Yes, I've eaten these, they're popular in Mehico. A distinctive taste, a little meatier than the regular garden-variety potatoes you can find at the store. They're not bad.

TUSooner
12/18/2009, 05:13 PM
UPDATE: I took the one I had cut in half earlier (it was about the size of a ping-pong ball) and I stuck it back togethr and wrapped it in a paper towel and nuked it for 2 minutes. The paper towel caught fire. But the half that wasn't too burned tasted pretty much like.... a potato, with crispy skin and a soft inside. I guess I'm wasting my time waiting for a serious response, huh?

<shakes head sadly>
EDIT - I did not see PQ's reply before posting. :D

olevetonahill
12/18/2009, 05:15 PM
How in hell do you catch a Paper towel wrapped Tater on fire in the Nuke Machine ????:confused:

Norm Is this You using TUs account ?:D

Mjcpr
12/18/2009, 05:23 PM
They're called 'beets'.

YWIA

Denton_Sooner
12/18/2009, 06:36 PM
They are much heavier than regular potatoes.

I've cooked with them a time or two. Mainly out of curiosity.

If I were going to cook them again I would boil them whole or halved depending on the size, much like a red or "new" potato. Little salt, olive oil, and some fresh herbs, and you'll be golden.

TUSooner
12/18/2009, 06:38 PM
How in hell do you catch a Paper towel wrapped Tater on fire in the Nuke Machine ????:confused:

Norm Is this You using TUs account ?:D

Pay tention! Cut a little purple tater in half, stick it back together.....

Ya hillbilly knot-hole!

:D

setem
I hate girls who do this to guys! Get you all worked up and then leave you hanging!

I feel ya man! It really does hurt!

olevetonahill
I dont think TU like our advice :O

olevetonahill
12/18/2009, 08:00 PM
Pay tention! Cut a little purple tater in half, stick it back together.....

Ya hillbilly knot-hole!

:D

You left the dayum knife in it dint ya ?:rolleyes:

Preservation Parcels
12/19/2009, 09:10 AM
This works for any potatoes. Scrub, cut into ~ one inch chunks, and lay out on a non-stick cookie sheet with sides. Sprinkle with olive oil and toss them around to make sure they're well-coated. Put a bunch of McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning or Montreal Chicken seasoning on them. Add pepper, cayenne, and cumin, if you want some kick. Use a lot of seasoning because some stays in the pan. A big difference between "home" food and restaurant food is that home cooks tend to be cowardly and stingy with seasoning. Be generous. Roast them in a 425 degree oven until they're golden brown outside and tender inside, 30 minutes up to an hour if the chunks are big.

StoopTroup
12/19/2009, 03:29 PM
Sweet potato fries.

Just sayin'

btk108
12/19/2009, 09:42 PM
Sweet potato fries.

Just sayin'

preach on, brother!

12/20/2009, 06:55 AM
http://www.vin-sullivan.co.uk/images/purple_potato2.jpg
What a purple potato might look like.

TUSooner
12/21/2009, 11:41 AM
http://www.vin-sullivan.co.uk/images/purple_potato2.jpg
What a purple potato might look like.

That's them., except mine were mostly rounder.

I boiled them, cut them in half, and deep-fried them, since we were having some other french-fries anyway. They were good, a bit softer I think than regular baking potatoes, but not as soft and creamy as, say, Yukon golds.

StoopTroup
12/21/2009, 11:42 AM
Looks like Barney took a poo.

the_ouskull
12/21/2009, 04:33 PM
Gaijin Sushi in Norman serves them with their seared steak dish. I like them.

the_ouskull

Partial Qualifier
12/21/2009, 04:40 PM
Speaking of Gaijin... did they move?

olevetonahill
12/21/2009, 04:46 PM
That's them., except mine were mostly rounder.

I boiled them, cut them in half, and deep-fried them, since we were having some other french-fries anyway. They were good, a bit softer I think than regular baking potatoes, but not as soft and creamy as, say, Yukon golds.

Looks like some of the Bruises Ive had :eek:

Fraggle145
12/21/2009, 05:56 PM
Speaking of Gaijin... did they move?

I thought they closed the Norman restaurant and were only in OKC?

Last time I went there in the location in Robinson crossing, they gave me some bad meat that they covered with tons of spicy mayo. It was bad. I was disappointed about it since I was pretty much a regular for 2.5 years.

Anyway.

Purple potatoes are good. Make mashed potatoes with em and have them with steak and asparagus. YWIA.

P.S. They are NOT beets.

Boarder
12/21/2009, 08:38 PM
Gaijin is open on Main just west of Porter.