PDA

View Full Version : Let's Pretend Texas joins the Big10

TMcGee86
12/18/2009, 12:15 PM
A local radio show here in Houston has thrown out the possibility that Texas leaves for the Big10 and takes A&M with them. The Big 10 would then pick up another team and go to 14 teams.

I know it's a ridiculous notion and I don't see any way it happens but it got me thinking.

That would leave only 10 teams in the Big12 and only 4 in the South.

A couple of questions.

1. Would you rather:
a) Stay in the Conference and pickup new teams. (who?)
b) Stay in the Conference and stick with Ten and ditch the CCG.
c) Leave the Conference and join a new one. (if so where?)

and

2. Would you want to continue the rivalry with Texas every year. I think it's the greatest rivalry in sports and I know we played them for nearly 100 years out of conference, but part of me would like to say Tuck Fexas if they are too good for the Big12.

KantoSooner
12/18/2009, 12:18 PM
The Big 10 would have no part in this as that would mean that their existing teams could, at best, aspire to No. 2, and more likely (in a year or three) No. 3 in their own conference.

TMcGee86
12/18/2009, 12:19 PM
I totally agree, I think it's a ridiculous notion. I'm just saying if it happened what would you want.

yermom
12/18/2009, 12:19 PM
we need to play Texas every year

Scott D
12/18/2009, 12:20 PM
I think those radio hosts in Houston need to quit sniffing glue or smoking crystal meth, or whatever it is that radio hosts do down in Houston.

cdlbdd
12/18/2009, 12:24 PM
This is stupid.

westbrooke
12/18/2009, 12:27 PM
I agree with you TMcGee, this is a ridiculous idea, but an interesting hypothetical.

In this scenario, I don't think there would be a point to joining a different conference, assuming the SEC has no interest in expanding and the PAC10 wouldn't take us for geographical reasons. The remnants of the Big 12 (wouldn't this make us the real Big 10? you know, the ones who can count?) would still be better than any other conference alternative. I think the conference would probably try to pick up two more teams and retain the CCG.

I understand the impulse to tell Texas to take a hike in that scenario, too. No one wants to be the jilted lover. But realistically, with the likely diminished profile of our conference, continuing to play Texas every year would be a big boost to our rep and our recruiting. I'd say we keep them on the schedule.

rawlingsHOH
12/18/2009, 12:50 PM
Seems like a logistical nightmare for the non-revenue sports. Can you imagine traveling from Austin TX to Happy Valley PA for a conference tennis match?

Back to the subject, I'd be ALL for Texas leaving!

misplacedsooner
12/18/2009, 12:55 PM
crazy!! they need to get their writers to put the pipe down.
that said id like to see the look on pete c. face to know he may be seeing texass in the rose bowl year in and out.

rawlingsHOH
12/18/2009, 12:59 PM
Texas would NEVER leave the Big 12. They own the conference office and officiating. They aren't dumb.

Their shenanigans wouldn't fly in the Big 10, and they know it.

TMcGee86
12/18/2009, 01:02 PM
I understand the impulse to tell Texas to take a hike in that scenario, too. No one wants to be the jilted lover. But realistically, with the likely diminished profile of our conference, continuing to play Texas every year would be a big boost to our rep and our recruiting. I'd say we keep them on the schedule.

That's a great point. We would need that game more than ever.

TMcGee86
12/18/2009, 02:29 PM
This is stupid.

You're stupid.

goingoneight
12/18/2009, 02:34 PM
We should join teh "S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!!!"

kustang619
12/18/2009, 02:55 PM
If we are going to be fantasizing here lets go with Texas falls of the face of the earth...

soonermix
12/18/2009, 03:01 PM
i would rather stay in conference and pick up new teams.
even if the hypothetical where texas leaves i don't think they would take tamu with them. so that leaves us with only needing to pick up 1 team which would almost have to be tcu.

i would still want to play texas every year. there is no team i want to beat more than them.

Scott D
12/18/2009, 03:04 PM
Texas would NEVER leave the Big 12. They own the conference office and officiating. They aren't dumb.

Their shenanigans wouldn't fly in the Big 10, and they know it.

There are two scenarios that would be even considerable as realistic with Texas, one would be a Pac-10 expansion which would have more to do with the non revenue sports than with football. The other would be a splintering of multiple conferences to form a new conference.

jaux
12/18/2009, 03:05 PM
Bevo's nut would freeze off when they went to Iowa......oh, wait

SoonerLB
12/18/2009, 03:12 PM
I'm in agreement with a couple others above, some radio smucks in Houston need to lay down the pipe and walk away. Morans!!

KantoSooner
12/18/2009, 03:17 PM
If we are going to be fantasizing here lets go with Texas falls of the face of the earth...

And then Southern Oklahoma could have beaches! With shaved ice, and everything!!

badger
12/18/2009, 03:25 PM
I wish that we could have gotten Texas and A&M without the other two hanger on-ers, but I know that there was some politics involved in that.

If we could still dump Tech and Baylor, I wouldn't mind grabbing a few other former SWC conferencers... as for the Texas joining the Big 10 scenario, it's just not the right time for conferences to expand to areas that aren't around them geographically. Sure, football and basketball can take private planes to wherever they need to, but there are other sports that have to travel by bus, and it's a loooooooooooooooong way down I-35 from the north.

NCSooner18
12/18/2009, 03:27 PM
Pick up TCU and SMU.....just so there would be more Sooner games in DFW

TexasLidig8r
12/18/2009, 04:07 PM
Might not be as far fetched as you think.

First.. it's not about competitive balance. It's about television viewers, population bases and corporate sponsorship and revenue.

The interweb whisperings right now have Missouri ready to listen to overtures from the Big 10/11 who are openly assessing the possibility of expanding to an even 12 teams, breaking up into divisions and playing a championship game. Missouri is a distinct possibility with their geographic proximity and natural rivalries (think.. Cardinals, Cubbies... the Bears and old football Cards).. The Big 10/11 would love to absorb the St. Louis and to a certain extent, KC television markets.

That would leave.. of all the major markets, Dallas, Houston and Denver for the Big XII.

Now.. we all know how crappy the Big XII television contract is... the Big 10/11 and the SEC have much, much more lucrative television contracts. (imagine, Indiana and Illinois getting more TV revenue that ANY Big XII school).

So.. Comcast/NBC looks at the Big XII without Missouri and says.. "Hell, they only have Dallas/Houston/Denver... that limits the interest of corporations.. our revenue will be down.. we can't afford nor do we want to pay big bucks for that."

Texas, with the Dallas and Houston television markets in pocket, knows this and starts to look elsewhere... perhaps the Pac 10?.. or perhaps goes to the Big 10 and says... "if we are forced to bring our inbred, little brother with us.. you will have 14 teams.. the first superconference."

(again.. focus here now.. it's not about winning championships or games here people.. it's about television viewers and corporate dollars.. ESPECIALLY about corporate dollars!)

Missouri openly flirting with the Big 10/11, let alone joining the Big 10/11 could be comparable to Archduke Ferdinand being assassinated in 1914 (it led to the outbreak of WWI). This could precipitate a change of the face of college football and conference realignment.

Scott D
12/18/2009, 04:09 PM
Missouri openly flirting with the Big 10 is akin to the Iraqi Information Minister telling Missouri fans that they're leaving for the Big 10 tomorrow.

TexasLidig8r
12/18/2009, 04:20 PM
Missouri openly flirting with the Big 10 is akin to the Iraqi Information Minister telling Missouri fans that they're leaving for the Big 10 tomorrow.

Not so fast...

Let's look at television revenue..

Television Revenue

Big Ten (214,000,000)
Southeastern (205,000,000)
Big XII (79,500,000)

Skippy on this site makes some interesting points too...

http://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1023876

KantoSooner
12/18/2009, 05:19 PM
And, laying aside filthy lucre for the moment (but trust me, only for a moment), Texas would essentially win the new conference from now to the foreseeable future.
Perhaps not the prime motivation, but, I am sure, not a bad collateral benefit.

TexasLidig8r
12/18/2009, 05:38 PM
Oh.. and Missouri's chancellor is saying... we will listen.

http://www.kansascity.com/159/story/1633968.html?storylink=omni_popular

Mjcpr
12/18/2009, 05:39 PM
Don't most of the BCS conferences have some semblance of regionality to them?

Nothing screams Big East to me like central Texas and Houston.

rawlingsHOH
12/18/2009, 05:43 PM
And, laying aside filthy lucre for the moment (but trust me, only for a moment), Texas would essentially win the new conference from now to the foreseeable future.
Perhaps not the prime motivation, but, I am sure, not a bad collateral benefit.
They'd lose 3 conference games next year. Much harder to win when Christal and Bible aren't running the show.

badger
12/18/2009, 05:46 PM
Texas performed poorly on big stages this season. Right now, they're the only 100k stadium in the conference. If they moved to the Big Televen, they'd have a few more madhouses to go to.

Scott D
12/18/2009, 05:51 PM
Oh.. and Missouri's chancellor is saying... we will listen.

http://www.kansascity.com/159/story/1633968.html?storylink=omni_popular

Just because Missouri says they'll listen doesn't even mean that they're up high on the list of schools that the Big-10 is considering. As I said before up here in their country, they're looking eastward.

goingoneight
12/18/2009, 05:54 PM
Texas ain't leaving the BIG 12 for anything other than a real "BIG TEXAS" conference. As in, maybe it's not literally called that, but they're going to stick to regional conference plans.

BIG 10/11 is either blowing smoke or courting Notre Dumb again.

bluedogok
12/18/2009, 11:20 PM
Texas ain't leaving the BIG 12 for anything other than a real "BIG TEXAS" conference. As in, maybe it's not literally called that, but they're going to stick to regional conference plans.
They were already in a "Texas Only" conference and couldn't wait to get out of it because they were dying on the vine, no one cared about a Texas only TV contract, their conference games on ABC were only shown in Texas. Moving from the SWC to the Big 12 pretty much saved Texas from the pit they were wallowing in at that time. If they were still in a Texas only conference they would not be where they are now, I doubt very seriously they want to be in that situation again.

What would y'all think if it was OU that was asked to join the Big 10?

beer4me
12/19/2009, 07:02 AM
I would rather pretend they moved to Aride island ;)

Go Down, Moses
12/19/2009, 09:14 AM
Were Texas to leave the conference, the conference would die.

I wonder if the Sooners have any kinds of contingency plans.

Remain alert, Castiglione!

Spray
12/19/2009, 09:55 AM
If Texas/Mizzou head to the Big 10 and that conference expands to 14 (bring in Pitt/ND), the SEC would have to follow suit- Oklahoma would be crazy not to try and move to the SEC (and take Okie State with us). Pac 10 would have to absorb 4 schools (Colorado, Boise, TCU come to mind) and the ACC would only need pick up 2 (maybe WV and Cincy/Pitt). The Big XII would be relegated to Sun Belt Conference status along with the Big East.

My head asploded. And everything in the paragraph above is incoherent rambling.

Spray
12/19/2009, 09:57 AM
Fun to speculate though. And Lid's right- money talks, bull**** walks.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/19/2009, 10:18 AM

Their shenanigans wouldn't fly in the Big 10, and they know it.Bottom Line!

Flagstaffsooner
12/20/2009, 12:34 PM
I think those radio hosts in Houston need to quit sniffing glue or smoking crystal meth, or whatever it is that radio hosts do down in Houston.
You ever smelled the air in Houston? Glue is not needed.

Flagstaffsooner
12/20/2009, 12:39 PM
Might not be as far fetched as you think.

First.. it's not about competitive balance. It's about television viewers, population bases and corporate sponsorship and revenue.

The interweb whisperings right now have Missouri ready to listen to overtures from the Big 10/11 who are openly assessing the possibility of expanding to an even 12 teams, breaking up into divisions and playing a championship game. Missouri is a distinct possibility with their geographic proximity and natural rivalries (think.. Cardinals, Cubbies... the Bears and old football Cards).. The Big 10/11 would love to absorb the St. Louis and to a certain extent, KC television markets.

That would leave.. of all the major markets, Dallas, Houston and Denver for the Big XII.

Now.. we all know how crappy the Big XII television contract is... the Big 10/11 and the SEC have much, much more lucrative television contracts. (imagine, Indiana and Illinois getting more TV revenue that ANY Big XII school).

So.. Comcast/NBC looks at the Big XII without Missouri and says.. "Hell, they only have Dallas/Houston/Denver... that limits the interest of corporations.. our revenue will be down.. we can't afford nor do we want to pay big bucks for that."

Texas, with the Dallas and Houston television markets in pocket, knows this and starts to look elsewhere... perhaps the Pac 10?.. or perhaps goes to the Big 10 and says... "if we are forced to bring our inbred, little brother with us.. you will have 14 teams.. the first superconference."

(again.. focus here now.. it's not about winning championships or games here people.. it's about television viewers and corporate dollars.. ESPECIALLY about corporate dollars!)

Missouri openly flirting with the Big 10/11, let alone joining the Big 10/11 could be comparable to Archduke Ferdinand being assassinated in 1914 (it led to the outbreak of WWI). This could precipitate a change of the face of college football and conference realignment.
I'm all for it if you will go away and bother tosu fans instead of us.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/20/2009, 01:07 PM
I'm all for it if you will go away and bother tosu fans, or ANYONE else, instead of us.This is the correct answer.

StoopTroup
12/20/2009, 03:43 PM
I'm betting another 5 year streak of wins in the Cotton Bowl would have +exas packing it in to another Conference. Unless they can stack the deck and have things their way like they did in the SWC...they are gonna always pick up their ball and stomp their feet and try to sell their brand of snake oil to another Conference.

It was +exas that ruined the SWC. Arkansas couldn't get away from their BS fast enough. The worst thing the Big XII did was give +exas a place to go. I would have rather had Arkansas than +exas in the Big XII. It made more sense to have both +exas and Arkie IMO and if +exas hadn't been such asses...we would have had them both instead of Baylor is my guess...but Arkie couldn't stand another minute of their pompousness.

Lid does know one thing....+exas is always gonna try and buy their way into whatever they want.

John Kochtoston
12/20/2009, 04:37 PM
Seems like a logistical nightmare for the non-revenue sports. Can you imagine traveling from Austin TX to Happy Valley PA for a conference tennis match?

Back to the subject, I'd be ALL for Texas leaving!

First, THIS. This is why it won't happen.

But, if Texas or Mizzou were to leave the Big 12, Joe needs to pick up the phone and call the SEC commish ASAP. The Big 12 would die on the vine without the Texas or Missouri TV markets.

TMcGee86
12/20/2009, 05:55 PM
If distance was an issue, why would Texas ever have considered joining the Pac10 or Big10. It's not like the cities were any closer back then.

I agree it seems like a logistical nightmare, and that's why I can't believe they ever considered it.

Plus Ames is about 1000 miles from Austin, and I presume the non-revenue sports compete against each other. Granted they would ALL be about that distance or more now but still, it's obviously possible.

John Kochtoston
12/20/2009, 06:59 PM
If distance was an issue, why would Texas ever have considered joining the Pac10 or Big10. It's not like the cities were any closer back then.

I agree it seems like a logistical nightmare, and that's why I can't believe they ever considered it.

Plus Ames is about 1000 miles from Austin, and I presume the non-revenue sports compete against each other. Granted they would ALL be about that distance or more now but still, it's obviously possible.

Why would they consider it? Money. Why'd they stop considering it? Money, at least the money involved with making travel arrangements for the diving team.

Of course, there are probably other reasons, not the least of which would be the political ****storm in Texas if the Whorns and Ags (Whorns, mostly) thought about leaving Tech and Baylor in a lurch.

bluedogok
12/20/2009, 07:38 PM
If things are still like they were when the Big 12 expansion happened (I think it is), any move by UT, A&M or Tech has to be approved by the state legislature. Let's just say any move would be heavily scrutinezed and political gamesmanship will be in play.

More than likely UT isn't going anywhere without the approval of influential A&M alumni, which may try to force A&M to go with them. Like when the SWC split and UT, A&M, Tech and Baylor joined to form the Big 12, there were Baylor grads in power positions in the Governor and Lt. Governor offices and the legislature (where the most power resides). Now there are Aggies in some of those positions now, probably more than Whorns. The Gov. is an Aggie, the Lt. Gov is an Arizona grad and the Speaker of the House is a Vanderbilt grad. I think they would face an uphill climb for approval to move on their own.

Eielson
12/20/2009, 09:30 PM
I say we add TCU and Houston. At least as far as this year is concerned, we would have been better. TCU and Houston are good as it is, if they had the added benefit of being part of the Big XII. That would help recruiting a ton, and they're already good. They also have good coaching.

If this happened I honestly think that Texas would be overtaken by one of the four Texas schools in the Big XII. Texas kids aren't going to want to play in all those cold cities.

Eielson
12/20/2009, 10:02 PM
At least as far as this year is concerned, we would have been better.

Actually, that's just for football. Forgot about those other sports.

King Barry's Back
12/21/2009, 06:42 AM
If Texas/Mizzou head to the Big 10 and that conference expands to 14 (bring in Pitt/ND), the SEC would have to follow suit- Oklahoma would be crazy not to try and move to the SEC (and take Okie State with us).

What in the world would OSU bring to the SEC? A few TVs in the small Oklahoma TV market? Maybe some corporate money as long as T Boone remains alive, but how much longer will that be?

One guy above (I think it was Lid) talked about the Big 10 going to 14 members by taking in TX, A&M and (I think) Missouri. The poster claimed it would be an explosive change to the structure of college football and he was absolutely right. Let's take a look at that scenario.

The loss of most of the TX TV market would doom the present-day Big XII to mediocre status, and the loss of St Louis and part of the KC market would basically doom the Big XII altogether.

In that scenario, Oklahoma would probably be the most attractive remaining school due to its very successful athletic program across sports, but let's face it, we don't bring many TV sets. Nebraska would be in serious jeopardy. Left out of the current Big 10 in favor of TX and A&M? Where could they go? Mountain West is my guess, unless they could claw their way into the Pac 10 -- and what would they bring to the Pac-10? Colorado would be attractive due to the Denver TV market, but their athletics dept has just never been well-managed, they don't seem to maintain much fan interest, and I don't know what kind of TV ratings they get up there in Mile High City.

Any way you slice, OU would be scrambling to join a budding mega-conference. SEC is probably our best shot, with Pac-10 a less-likely scenario. Fail to get into a mega-conference, and we are stuck with something like Conference USA as our fall back.

Maybe the best course of action would be to desperately keep the Big XII alive by bringing in some new blood. Pay off Colorado or whatever to keep Denver, go after somebody like Arizona to bring in the Phoenix/Tempe market? Ariz has never seemed much at home in the Pac-10 to me, so maybe they would consider jumping, but more likely the Pac-10 would be expanding rather than shrinking.

Geeze, I don't know. If the Big XII really lost those three schools to the Big 10, there would be a mad scramble for the Big XII left overs to not be left out. THere are too many scenarios to really consider where OU would go.

Go Down, Moses
12/21/2009, 09:55 AM
Because of the Texas legislature, I think Texas and Texas A&M are joined at the hip. It probably pisses the Texas fans off, but I can't envision a scenario in which one of them goes off to another conference without the other.

As far as the travel distances, if the Big 10 had 14 teams, it would probably be something like Texas, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Indiana, and Purdue in the West division and the rest of the schools in the east. All of those schools are in the central time zone so traveling to them wouldn't be that big of a deal for Texas, given that they are rolling in money. I mean, travel-time wise, is it really that much farther from Austin to Iowa or Minnesota than it is from Austin to Boulder or Columbia? Maybe an hour by plane.

I guess what I am saying is that I don't think it's really as big of a deal as we might think.

The Big 12 needs to get a much better TV deal than what it has or the conference will dry up and blow away.

westbrooke
12/21/2009, 11:02 AM
Because of the Texas legislature, I think Texas and Texas A&M are joined at the hip. It probably pisses the Texas fans off, but I can't envision a scenario in which one of them goes off to another conference without the other.

As far as the travel distances, if the Big 10 had 14 teams, it would probably be something like Texas, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Indiana, and Purdue in the West division and the rest of the schools in the east. All of those schools are in the central time zone so traveling to them wouldn't be that big of a deal for Texas, given that they are rolling in money. I mean, travel-time wise, is it really that much farther from Austin to Iowa or Minnesota than it is from Austin to Boulder or Columbia? Maybe an hour by plane.

I guess what I am saying is that I don't think it's really as big of a deal as we might think.

The Big 12 needs to get a much better TV deal than what it has or the conference will dry up and blow away.

Football-wise (and probably basketball-wise), you're absolutely right. These teams wouldn't be affected all that much.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the people above who raised this point were thinking about the tennis, track, volleyball, etc teams that would probably have to travel by bus.

Increased football revenue could undoubtedly offset some or all of these costs depending on how different athletic departments spread the wealth around. But that's a damn big inconvenience on every sport that doesn't include shoulder pads.

Maybe the arrangement proposed is for football only. That would make it more likely to happen, though I still tend to think it won't happen.

IronHorseSooner
12/21/2009, 11:04 AM
Years ago, I remember that we were considering the SEC. That's likely where we would end up. This would play even more into the prestige of the SEC by adding OU. Even though OSU wouldn't bring a whole lot in viewership, they would likely head to the SEC as well. Again, in the SEC, a good bit of the conference aren't in highly populated areas. Also, the natural rivalry with Arky for both teams would be really good. In that case, one of the SEC West teams would likely need to move to the SEC East. Most likely, it would be Auburn, since they have historic rivalries FLA and UGA, and they could still keep the annual Iron Bowl under the current SEC scheduling format.

TexasLidig8r
12/21/2009, 11:34 AM
Football-wise (and probably basketball-wise), you're absolutely right. These teams wouldn't be affected all that much.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the people above who raised this point were thinking about the tennis, track, volleyball, etc teams that would probably have to travel by bus.

Increased football revenue could undoubtedly offset some or all of these costs depending on how different athletic departments spread the wealth around. But that's a damn big inconvenience on every sport that doesn't include shoulder pads.

Maybe the arrangement proposed is for football only. That would make it more likely to happen, though I still tend to think it won't happen.

The added costs to fly your team to venues would be more than offset by increased television revenue. Again, flippin Indiana University is receiving more in television revenue than Texas.. or Ou. A 2 1/2 hour flight on Southwest Airlines to Bloomington, Indiana or a 6 hour bus ride to Norman?

Imagine if you are Mr. Television Network Executive going to Michael Dell and saying, "ok sport... you now have even more exposure in the Big 10 and you now have access to the Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Columbus markets in addition to the Texas markets.. we need to talk about an increase in revenue for advertising and marketing."

Go Down, Moses
12/21/2009, 11:48 AM

I have no way of knowing, but does the Texas track team travel to Colorado, Missouri, Ames etc... by bus? Doubtful.

westbrooke
12/21/2009, 01:58 PM
The added costs to fly your team to venues would be more than offset by increased television revenue. Again, flippin Indiana University is receiving more in television revenue than Texas.. or Ou. A 2 1/2 hour flight on Southwest Airlines to Bloomington, Indiana or a 6 hour bus ride to Norman?

Imagine if you are Mr. Television Network Executive going to Michael Dell and saying, "ok sport... you now have even more exposure in the Big 10 and you now have access to the Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Columbus markets in addition to the Texas markets.. we need to talk about an increase in revenue for advertising and marketing."

Yes. Hence: "Increased football revenue could undoubtedly offset some or all of these costs depending on how different athletic departments spread the wealth around."

I have no way of knowing, but does the Texas track team travel to Colorado, Missouri, Ames etc... by bus? Doubtful.

I have no way of knowing either, but even if they don't take the bus to Ames, I wouldn't be surprised if they took it to Waco, College Station, Houston, or other nearby locations meets are frequently held. That's no longer an option when you replace Waco, College Station, and Houston with Bloomington, Madison, and Ann Arbor. Or, at least, it's a really crappy option.

The University of Texas has approximately 490 student athletes, 375 minus the football team. Not all will travel, but a significant portion will, plus coaches, trainers, equipment, etc. Multiply times the number of away events in a year. Multiply by airfare or charter costs. Not an insignificant expense, but, yes, that will still be more than offset by added revenue from the move.

Like I said, it makes it easier if it's a football-only deal and they don't have to worry about that calculation. How much easier all depends on your own assessment of the overall likelihood of this occurring. Mine has less to do with paying for other sporting clubs on campus than it does on regional politics.

spatton713
12/21/2009, 09:14 PM
if texas and texas am moved to big 10 and ou and okie light moved to sec who would join big 12? houston and tcu?

bluedogok
12/21/2009, 11:07 PM

I don't think those teams travel by bus to anywhere other than maybe CS or Waco. I think they have a charter agreement for all the programs as one one bundle.

Flagstaffsooner
12/22/2009, 07:27 AM
Silly, Silly Whorns.
http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=6116546&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

unbiasedtruth
12/22/2009, 08:53 AM
read this the other day in one of Tim Griffin blogs (so dont count on its accuracy as we all know how much a homer he is for all things puke orange)

he stated that in the Big XII television contract Tejas receives 50% of the tv revenue when they are on tv, the other 50% is split by the remaining 11 teams. He said it was one of the items the conference agreed to to get Tejas to join the conference...

Now I dont see the Big 10 allowig that to happen.

and if not mistaken, OU's is similiar in nature...

westbrooke
12/22/2009, 10:18 AM
I don't think those teams travel by bus to anywhere other than maybe CS or Waco. I think they have a charter agreement for all the programs as one one bundle.

That would make a lot of sense.

TexasLidig8r
12/22/2009, 10:24 AM
read this the other day in one of Tim Griffin blogs (so dont count on its accuracy as we all know how much a homer he is for all things puke orange)

he stated that in the Big XII television contract Tejas receives 50% of the tv revenue when they are on tv, the other 50% is split by the remaining 11 teams. He said it was one of the items the conference agreed to to get Tejas to join the conference...

Now I dont see the Big 10 allowig that to happen.

and if not mistaken, OU's is similiar in nature...

I believe that is the case for Texas, Ou, Nebraska and aggy. I don't know if it's a 50% split, but there is a disproportionate share.

Big 10 and SEC are equal splits amongst all conference schools.

StoopTroup
12/22/2009, 10:29 AM
Again...I'd like to point out just how pompous those TV contracts are and how bad that was for the SWC. Bringing in a pariah isn't always good for a Conference. We would have been better off with Arkie and letting +exas go to the SEC.

TexasLidig8r
12/23/2009, 09:13 AM
Again...I'd like to point out just how pompous those TV contracts are and how bad that was for the SWC. Bringing in a pariah isn't always good for a Conference. We would have been better off with Arkie and letting +exas go to the SEC.

Let's see.. Arkansas is a state with a population of approximately 2.8 million. (3 of whom actually have all of their teeth)

Texas is a state with a population of approximately 25 million.

The largest television market in Arkansas is Little Rock/Pine Bluff.. which is ranked 56th with an estimated 564,000 television households.

In Texas, there is Dallas at no. 5 (2.5 million television households.. note. almost equal to the entire Arkansas state poplulation)... then, Houston at no. 10 (2.2 television households)... then Austin ranked 48th (678,000 television households)...

So, if you are a television network and/or corporate advertiser, please enlighten us all as to why you would pay more money to a Big XII conference that does not have Texas.. but does have Arkansas...

Spray
6/16/2010, 08:11 AM
Interesting thread from December. Some of you guys are pretty damn smart.