PDA

View Full Version : Possibly my first critiscm of an OU QB: Should Landry be guaranteed the spot?

looch
12/18/2009, 10:29 AM
Am I the only one concerned about Landry for next year? From what I've seen, I *really* want a QB competition. Not just one in name only.

I'm guessing people will point out that the season isn't even over but I'm still concerned.

I can remember hearing Steve Young talk about how he graded quarterbacks when he was an NFL consultant. Switzer mentioned some of the same things. It involved over all awareness, checking off receivers, being able to take a sack or making very calculated risks. I'm not really seeing this from Landry.

I mentioned this to someone who has played NCAA o-line, he said it's a confidence issue that will be helped with experience and a better o-line.

This makes sense, we saw this with Eli Manning in the NFL.

Either way, I'm worried we will announce Landry as next year's starter way too early.

Partial Qualifier
12/18/2009, 10:40 AM
You may consider posting your message in this thread (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138239)

only because there's like 5 pages of "should Landry be guaranteed the starting job" in there, including some interesting (and related) what-ifs

looch
12/18/2009, 10:46 AM
It turns out I just posted something someone else has posted. I can't figure out how to delete the thread. Sorry guys (and gals).

soonerloyal
12/18/2009, 10:49 AM
Meh. It's okay. It's not like you're the first - or will be the last - to do that.

rawlingsHOH
12/18/2009, 12:02 PM
I'm worried we will announce Landry as next year's starter way too early.

What is Stoops' history on this?

westbrooke
12/18/2009, 12:16 PM
Has anyone on this board actually said that they think Landry should be guaranteed the starter's job next year? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is a straw man argument that's only being used as a launching point to say that he shouldn't. Just about everyone - Landry supporter, detractor, and neutral alike - seems to agree there should be open competition.

cdlbdd
12/18/2009, 12:23 PM
I think he should start.

westbrooke
12/18/2009, 12:27 PM
Well, then, I stand corrected. Care to elaborate?

1890MilesToNorman
12/18/2009, 12:33 PM
I know the spring competition will determine who starts @ QB next year. At OU you have to fight for a starting job every year.

misplacedsooner
12/18/2009, 12:50 PM
open competition at the qb spot will be good, if landry improves and proves he can do the job then im all for it. i think with work he could be a good one. that said id like to see if allen can play too and really would like to see what newton brings to the table in crimson providing he comes. bell i believe will redshirt.

cdlbdd
12/18/2009, 12:59 PM
Well, then, I stand corrected. Care to elaborate?

I think that he gives us the best chance to win. And even though I doubt Florida State or Cincinnatti will be as competitive as some of their better teams in the past, I don't think it would be wise to break in a new quarterback against BCS league non conference opponents even if he has a game against a cupcake under his belt (not sure of the exact order of next year's non-conference schedule).

And even though his performances on the road left much to be desired, the guy was playing behind an almost universally regarded sub-par offensive line and was throwing at targets who looked at times as if they were trying to catch a greased ice cube.

Here are some stats for comparison from another thread.

Originally Posted by rawlingsHOH

Bomar goes 10 TDs, 10 INTs, and he's leading us to the promise land.

Heupel goes 20 TDs, 15 INTs, and he's the greatest ever and a Sooner legend.

Landry goes 23 TDs, and 13 INTs, and people want him gone because he's not Sam Bradford.

westbrooke
12/18/2009, 02:48 PM
I can see where you're coming from, but I think game experience is just one factor here. We have a quarterback, Allen, who nearly beat out Landry for the backup position as a true freshman. If he signs with us, we'll have another quarterback, Newton, who has a very different set of physical gifts that could open up the offense.

An open competition will give everyone the opportunity to prove who can move the offense best, and they'll all have the same offensive personnel, warts and all, to work with. Even though I believe Landry can and will win that competition, it may be that a deficient offensive line means that Newton's running ability makes him the best option. I'd like to find that out before the Florida State defense takes the field, not after.

SoonerLB
12/18/2009, 03:07 PM
I think Landry is a pretty good QB. The thing that hurts him the most is that a lot of the play calls coming in to him come with little time on the play clock, and then he is in an almost panic situation trying to get the plays off. No time for him to think about making his reads, etc.

Put that together with a thrown together line and a bunch of brick handed receivers (with the exception of Broyles, who is getting extra attention from the defense all the time) and what do you get? You get a QB in a bad situation that gets the blame for a team's shortcomings!

And as far as him starting, well, he should start till someone beats him out of the position. And it's too bad there isn't some competion for calling plays in a timely manner up there in the coaching booth, there's darned sure room for improvement there!

SoonerFah
12/18/2009, 06:57 PM
Landry was pretty good when he had time to throw the ball. Time will tell if he's the QB we saw against Tulsa or the one against Nebraska... I have a feeling the truth lies somewhere in between.

Either way I feel good having him back for 3 more years potentially.

ndpruitt03
12/18/2009, 07:01 PM
I disagree because competition breeds good play and good players. Nobody was completely sure Bradford would start till about the week before his first game. Jason White vs Nate Hybl made both of them better. Josh Heupel didn't have competition and Bomar never really looked that good while he was here for the most part so competition didn't matter in those 2 spots. But Bomar was probably the worst QB we've had at OU since the Blake era. Heupel is just a different story altogether. But back to my point we need to give these young guys a chance because it'll be good for Landry and good for those young guys. And if we get Newton that will only help our QB spot. You don't want injuries to put you behind the 8 ball like it did this year.

BoulderSooner79
12/18/2009, 07:35 PM
And if we get Newton that will only help our QB spot. You don't want injuries to put you behind the 8 ball like it did this year.

That's true with a caveat. Competition is from Newton is good assuming he is not the trouble he has been in the past. Otherwise, he could hurt the whole team - just have to trust the coaches on that one.

cvsooner
12/18/2009, 08:54 PM
I don't think anybody is guaranteed a spot, in the first place, but Landry may have an edge from having been in the system for two years. You'd think knowing the playbook would be a factor in his favor.

SouthFortySooner
12/19/2009, 03:01 AM
In my estimation Landry threw the ball in front of the receivers early and as the season progressed more and more behind. What coorelation does this have to do with the offensive line? Anyone?

ndpruitt03
12/19/2009, 04:20 AM
I think the biggest problem with Landry is his pocket awareness. He didn't feel blitzes coming a lot of the time so he got rid of the ball too late and threw some bad passes or took sacks and flumbles which ended drives.

Go Down, Moses
12/19/2009, 10:02 AM
Landry would look great with a decent OL in front of him. It was hard to get any kind of continuity there this season.

IronHorseSooner
12/19/2009, 10:11 AM
If Newton chooses us, we will be abso-freaking-lutely loaded with QB talent for the next two years- Newton, Jones, Allen, BB, and Thompson in 2011. To include places like SUC, *, or FLA, I don't think anybody in America will have the set of QBs that we will have. I can guarantee this, that you can't go wrong from whoever emerges from that group.

Funky G
12/20/2009, 02:20 AM
Landry = Hybl.

westcoast_sooner
12/20/2009, 02:56 AM
To me, the Nate vs White debate is a fair comparison. Nate looked good, won the job. The interesting thing is that Jason just made plays. I'll digress for a second....I remember a few years ago - an unknown kid from San Jose State was a rookie trying to earn a spot on the Niners roster. The kid's name was Jeff Garcia. Garcia didn't have the best measurables, nor the strongest arm. But the guy just knew how to make plays. Jason White was that kind of player, too. Nate stepped in a couple of seasons and played well, but Jason made plays - he was just better.

Landry seems more Hybl than White or Bradford to me. He has measurables, and can play good football, but he's not necessarily the spark that will ignite this team to inspire a late 4th quarter drive when it's needed for a win on the road. (I'll be happy to eat those words if we make a 4th qtr comeback against Stanford or if he shows more leadership next season.)

Cameron's biggest obstacle would be to learn the system quickly and the Spring game would help to determine a lot. But, even if Cam Newton doesn't come to Norman, Drew Allen should be given an opportunity earn the job, no question. The competition between the two should be open - may the best QB win.

I Am Right
12/20/2009, 09:42 AM
No

I Am Right
12/20/2009, 09:43 AM
no

stoopified
12/20/2009, 01:01 PM
Maybe it is just my crimson lenses(a genetic gift)but I think Bob and his guys have done a pretty good job at finding the RIGHT QB.

adoniijahsooner
12/20/2009, 01:15 PM
Maybe it is just my crimson lenses(a genetic gift)but I think Bob and his guys have done a pretty good job at finding the RIGHT QB.

I agree.

BoulderSooner79
12/20/2009, 01:22 PM

^yes.

Jdog
12/20/2009, 01:26 PM
Should Landry be guaranteed the spot?

NO

MR2-Sooner86
12/20/2009, 01:26 PM
If Newton chooses us, we will be abso-freaking-lutely loaded with QB talent for the next two years- Newton, Jones, Allen, BB, and Thompson in 2011.

This always got me, you recruit all these quarterbacks but can only use one so...what do you do with the others? I know that Keith Nicole kid was good but he wasn't Sam Bradford so he went elsewhere. Just seems like a wasted scholarship that could've been used elsewhere. Am I missing something here?

adoniijahsooner
12/20/2009, 01:33 PM
This always got me, you recruit all these quarterbacks but can only use one so...what do you do with the others? I know that Keith Nicole kid was good but he wasn't Sam Bradford so he went elsewhere. Just seems like a wasted scholarship that could've been used elsewhere. Am I missing something here?

Blake Bell Fr
Landry Jones rSo
Drew Allen rFr
if he signs Cam Newton Jr

yeah that is alot of talent that will be riding the bench. Blake probably redshirts if Cam signs or not, so I see either Allen or Jones being left out of the loop in the next 2 years.

hawaii 5-0
12/20/2009, 01:43 PM
I think the problem is Landry's inconsistent accuracy. We are looking for another Sam Bradford right away, and Landry isn't Sam. I don't think he ever will be, even with a better offensive line and better receivers.
Sometimes he just threw bad passes. I think he's a very capable backup.

:cool: 5-0

MR2-Sooner86
12/20/2009, 01:55 PM
Blake Bell Fr
Landry Jones rSo
Drew Allen rFr
if he signs Cam Newton Jr

yeah that is alot of talent that will be riding the bench. Blake probably redshirts if Cam signs or not, so I see either Allen or Jones being left out of the loop in the next 2 years.

See I don't get that. Why burn two scholarships on guys that are good but compared to the other two probably won't be QB. I mean if they can turn them around and they can be a TE, RB, WR, or something else then I'm all for it. But if you're recruit all of these powerhouses that just play QB, seems like putting too many eggs in one basket.