PDA

View Full Version : Knight rips Calipari.........

Salt City Sooner
12/18/2009, 01:58 AM
I don't like a lot of what he did, but in this case I agree with him big time:

"We've gotten into this situation where integrity is really lacking and that's why I'm glad I'm not coaching," he said. "You see we've got a coach at Kentucky [John Calipari], who put two schools on probation and he's still coaching. I really don't understand that.

"And very few people know this, but a kid can play the first semester as a freshman, pass six hours of anything and play in the NCAA tournament without ever attending a class in the second semester. I don't think that's right."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4752725

yankee
12/18/2009, 02:47 AM
calipari is just a slimeball. hate that guy. has cheating written all over him.

yermom
12/18/2009, 03:45 AM
he's got a point. why does the coach get to move and leave all the punishment behind?

AlbqSooner
12/18/2009, 06:46 AM
he's got a point. why does the coach get to move and leave all the punishment behind?

Lou Holtz can answer that.

BillyBall
12/18/2009, 08:16 AM
John Calipari is a poor man's Jim Harrick.

badger
12/18/2009, 10:04 AM
"And very few people know this, but a kid can play the first semester as a freshman, pass six hours of anything and play in the NCAA tournament without ever attending a class in the second semester. I don't think that's right."
I hope this quote gets the NCAA to act on this.

misplacedsooner
12/18/2009, 11:27 AM
the ncaa act on what is right???? are you kidding?

badger
12/18/2009, 12:32 PM
Hey, I didn't say they would do the RIGHT thing, I just want to see them put out a statement or something because of what Knight said.

For example:

"The NCAA is committed to the education of all student-athletes, including the sport of basketball. We encourage all student-athletes to pass and attend at least six hours of their fall semester courses."

:D

misplacedsooner
12/18/2009, 12:40 PM
yeah i know, the ncaa just blows me away with some of the stuff they do...or dont do at times.

stoopified
12/18/2009, 05:59 PM
Wile Booby Knight is right about Calipari,he ain't no prince himself.Then again I gues verbally and physically assaulting student athletes,faculty ,and the student body as a whole is NOT an NCAA violtaion,although it should be.

Ironically I do recall more than one person on this board who campaigned for Calipari to be the replacement for KS.

John Kochtoston
12/18/2009, 06:28 PM
When I want a lecture on the motion offense or the principles of man-to-man defense, I'll listen to Bob Knight.

When it comes to moral and ethical stands, Bob Knight has less credibilty and authority than Jim Bakker.

And, spare me the "He never broke an NCAA rule" crap. I'm pretty sure it's against NCAA rules to throw a chair on the playing floor. And, if the Golden Rule is a pillar of ethical and moral behavior, he's no room to speak on ethics or morals.

badger
12/18/2009, 06:35 PM
Which begs the question...

Would you rather have a coach that kicks, grabs and yells at players (and throws chairs, yes), or one that violates recruiting rules?

For all we know, Calipari might be a little of Column A to go along with his overflowing Column B :D

John Kochtoston
12/18/2009, 08:20 PM
Recruitng rules. Easy. I'd rather hear about an OU coach making too many phone calls than hear about one slugging a cop or choking a player.

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/18/2009, 10:09 PM
Lou Holtz can answer that.

See also: Kelvin Sampson

Eielson
12/18/2009, 10:48 PM
And, spare me the "He never broke an NCAA rule" crap.

Isn't a technical foul technically breaking a rule?

John Kochtoston
12/19/2009, 02:22 AM
Isn't a technical foul technically breaking a rule?

Yep. Of course, Bob Knight tossing a chair is a little more than a technical foul. Technical fouls usually don't carry two years of probation from the conference.

I'll put it this way: If Bob Knight was black and a ball player, instead of a coach, we'd call him Ron Artest.

SoonerShark
12/19/2009, 07:15 AM
One is a violation of NCAA rule. Another is a criminal who assaults other individuals.

As an aside, didn't Kelvin's transgressions equate to about 0.333 extra contacts per day. Of course, 25.333 miles per hour in a 25 mile per hour speed zone is a speeding violation.

Eielson
12/19/2009, 10:50 AM
Kentucky made a deal with the devil, but their winning because of it. Who needs a soul anyway? Did Kentucky even have one to give?

King Barry's Back
12/21/2009, 10:36 AM
So, if Coach Knight is right -- you take a kid with "one and done" written all over him. Say Carmello Anthony skill set, plus little interest in academia. He wants to check in somewhere for a season and then shop himself to the highest NBA bidder. (Not criticizing. Wish the NBA was calling me.)

So he gets recruited by some big basketball school, and for the fall enrolls in, let's say, "Theory of Basketball," "Basketball Officiating*," and a directed readings course on "History of Competitive Sports with Focus on Basketball," and he takes all those with pass/fail options. (All his professors are Ath Dept employees, including two course taught by one of the asst basketball coaches.)

Then he manages to "pass" this challenging courseload in the fall, and then he spends the spring playing ball and getting ready for the draft.

In that scenario, everything is hunky dory with the NCAA?

I mean, that's a little extreme, even for me.

*A class I actually took at OU!

Salt City Sooner
12/21/2009, 12:01 PM
So, if Coach Knight is right -- you take a kid with "one and done" written all over him. Say Carmello Anthony skill set, plus little interest in academia. He wants to check in somewhere for a season and then shop himself to the highest NBA bidder. (Not criticizing. Wish the NBA was calling me.)

So he gets recruited by some big basketball school, and for the fall enrolls in, let's say, "Theory of Basketball," "Basketball Officiating*," and a directed readings course on "History of Competitive Sports with Focus on Basketball," and he takes all those with pass/fail options. (All his professors are Ath Dept employees, including two course taught by one of the asst basketball coaches.)

Then he manages to "pass" this challenging courseload in the fall, and then he spends the spring playing ball and getting ready for the draft.

In that scenario, everything is hunky dory with the NCAA?

I mean, that's a little extreme, even for me.

*A class I actually took at OU!
No. It'd show up as a strike against the school on their APR report.