PDA

View Full Version : But can he get another job?

Jacie
12/17/2009, 07:18 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-mangino-settlement&prov=ap&type=lgns

Former coach Mangino getting $3 million from KU

Dec 16, 10:57 pm EST

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP)—Former Kansas football coach Mark Mangino will be paid $3 million as part of a settlement both sides signed last week.

The university announced the payout Wednesday and said the settlement will be paid by Dec. 24 through private funds raised by the athletics department, with no taxpayer money involved.

Mangino resigned earlier this month amid allegations that he mistreated his players. He had four years left on his contract, worth $2.3 million per year, or a total of $9.2 million.

After Mangino went 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl in 2007, he was given a big raise and contract extension through 2012 and honored as national coach of the year.

“We appreciate the eight years that Mark has given to rebuilding our football program,” Kansas Athletics Director Lew Perkins said in a statement. “He and the university have reached a mutually satisfactory agreement that reflects the appreciation we have for his efforts on behalf of Kansas football.”

Mangino will continue to receive health insurance through March 30 and life insurance through June 30.

The settlement says it nullifies an investigation into physical and mental abuse of Kansas players by Mangino. It also negates a termination letter the university had given him on Dec. 3, before he decided to resign.

Mangino was replaced this week by former Buffalo coach Turner Gill, who played quarterback at Nebraska.

Mangino had been defiant to the end, insisting after a last-second loss to Missouri in the season finale that he had done nothing wrong and intended to serve out his contract. He finished with a record of 50-48, two victories shy of A.R. Kennedy’s school record set in the early 1900s.

After winning their first five games this season and rising to No. 16 in the rankings, the Jayhawks were favored by many to win the Big 12 North.

Instead, Kansas failed to win another game, finishing the 5-7 season with a 41-39 loss to Missouri. That defeat kept the Jayhawks from becoming bowl eligible for what would have been a school-record third straight year.

OUHOMER
12/17/2009, 07:23 PM
it's going to be hard for him.

BoulderSooner79
12/17/2009, 07:26 PM
He'll prolly have to be an assistant again. But even there, he'll have to have a good explanation for what really happened at KU.

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2009, 07:26 PM
He probably needs that health insurance the most.

GottaHavePride
12/17/2009, 07:33 PM
He needs to lose some damn weight - go have that stomach bypass surgery, or whatever you call it.

King Barry's Back
12/17/2009, 07:54 PM
Can he get another job?

I don't think so, not as a head coach. He's employable as an assistant, and from I can tell he has many, many friends in the coaching fraternity -- so I expect he will take a year or two off and then you'll see him coaching again.

The real question is will he ever be a head coach. If he'd won more, there's plenty of places that would be interested in a former national coach of the year. But after the 12-1 season, he was pretty much a .500 coach, and now he's a .500 tainted by public scandal.

And many folks can never get past the weight issue.

So I think he is done as a head coach, unless something just happens -- like an old friend becomes an AD or something like that. (Hoosiers/Gene Hackman scenario.)

On a side note: Remember when John Blake applied for the OU job, and was turned down in favor of Smells-of-bourbon? Blake decided to go out and lose weight because he thought otherwise it would hurt his career. A year later, he was head coach at OU.

yermom
12/17/2009, 10:12 PM
i bet a smaller mid-major school would hire him

Zbird
12/17/2009, 10:19 PM
Maybe with a Tx Tech/ Bobby Knight type pre-nup package.

Curly Bill
12/17/2009, 11:40 PM
Kelvin Sampson is working, surely Mangino can get some kind of job, though probably not a head coaching job in the near term.

AzianSooner
12/18/2009, 12:17 AM
Big Mangino >>>> Current OU Offensive Coordinator who I don't remember the name.

Curly Bill
12/18/2009, 12:22 AM
Big Mangino >>>> Current OU Offensive Coordinator who I don't remember the name.

No doubt!

...and the name is Kevin Wilson.

Salt City Sooner
12/18/2009, 01:48 AM
http://www.morasclass.com/images/lion_facepalm.jpg

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2009, 01:50 AM
On a side note: Remember when John Blake applied for the OU job, and was turned down in favor of Smells-of-bourbon? Blake decided to go out and lose weight because he thought otherwise it would hurt his career. A year later, he was head coach at OU.

You mean, we saw the smaller version of Boo?

yermom
12/18/2009, 03:31 AM

no one shed any tears when he left the week after the OSU game in 2001

King Barry's Back
12/18/2009, 04:10 AM
You mean, we saw the smaller version of Boo?

Yeah, if you remember, he was husky -- but not huge -- when we hired him. He tended to swell up as the years went by.

goingoneight
12/18/2009, 09:49 AM

I'd love to see some stats to back this up. And before you direct your index finger to the 2000 MNC, keep in mind Mangino's offense didn't win us that championship.

Meanwhile, outside of a year where everything that could have possibly went wrong has went wrong... KW and Company have lit up more scoreboards than general electric.

Both are great assistants, but come on... More people would be after KW if we ****-canned him than there would be people after OU's OC position. 2006 was a remarkable job all things considered by KW and the 2007 and 2008 offenses speak for themselves.

49r
12/18/2009, 10:46 AM
He needs to lose some damn weight - go have that stomach bypass surgery, or whatever you call it.

I'd like to see him on a kind of "Biggest Loser: Coaches". They could put Mangino and Weis and some other fat coaches on there. That would be entertaining!

budbarrybob
12/18/2009, 11:57 AM

Next in line for the Biggest Loser.
To think that success has taken its toll on his waist to such a degree. Word was that he and Bob used to play racquetball at KS.

Mangino needs some table discipline and perhaps a good surgeon!

yermom
12/18/2009, 12:06 PM
I'd love to see some stats to back this up. And before you direct your index finger to the 2000 MNC, keep in mind Mangino's offense didn't win us that championship.

Meanwhile, outside of a year where everything that could have possibly went wrong has went wrong... KW and Company have lit up more scoreboards than general electric.

Both are great assistants, but come on... More people would be after KW if we ****-canned him than there would be people after OU's OC position. 2006 was a remarkable job all things considered by KW and the 2007 and 2008 offenses speak for themselves.

i think KW was only the OC for the Fiesta Bowl in 2006, if memory serves

westcoast_sooner
12/18/2009, 03:51 PM
Scandal doesn't necessarily hurt someone's career, whether it be football, politics or some other career choice.

Hal Mummy at UK had a great thing going with Tim Couch and the Wildcats - then he was involved in some violations that cost him his job. Right now, he's at NM St. I believe.

Rick Neuheisel - of the NCAA Basketball scandal (really ticky tack kind of stuff) but he was removed at UW - now he's at UCLA.

Seems like "Smells of Bourbon" found him a job after his year at OU.

I'm guessing Mangino takes a year or two, enjoys his payout and finds something at a smaller, lower profile school.

NormanPride
12/18/2009, 04:03 PM
Mangino won the Orange Bowl with Kansas. How the hell he's not getting calls right now is beyond me. He proved he could run a program.

Salt City Sooner
12/18/2009, 04:04 PM
Mumme got canned @ NMSU this past off-season. He's now at a D-3 school in Texas.

Jacie
12/18/2009, 10:11 PM
I'd like to see him on a kind of "Biggest Loser: Coaches". They could put Mangino and Weis and some other fat coaches on there. That would be entertaining!

Fridgen of Maryland had potential but he already dumped some of his excess poundage.

I always thought Leach looked a little puffy . . .

49r
12/19/2009, 11:43 AM
Fridgen of Maryland had potential but he already dumped some of his excess poundage.

I always thought Leach looked a little puffy . . .

...Rick Majerus...

StoopTroup
12/19/2009, 12:00 PM
Mangino won the Orange Bowl with Kansas. How the hell he's not getting calls right now is beyond me. He proved he could run a program.

He probably is getting calls. He may not be able or not want to take a job at the moment. Timing is everything.

You haven't seen the last of Mark Mangino. He's a great Coach.

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2009, 03:20 PM
I predict that Mangino will head coach an FCS team.