PDA

View Full Version : Stanford QB is Motivated for a Win...

Blues1
12/17/2009, 02:34 PM
This QB could be Better than you think....?

LINK...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/wires/12/16/2060.ap.fbc.t25.stanford.pritchard.0847/

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/17/2009, 02:36 PM
As usual, we have nothing to gain in this Stanford game, so we won't motivate, i'm afraid.

yermom
12/17/2009, 02:44 PM
they surely should be hungry for a bowl win, since they haven't been to one in a while. hopefully our guys are tired of losing though... most of them haven't won a bowl game either

Widescreen
12/17/2009, 02:46 PM
Seriously. Did anyone on our team play in the Holiday Bowl? It would have to have been a true freshman who later redshirted.

Dan Thompson
12/17/2009, 02:50 PM
I concerned for the following reasons:

Bowl game
Road game
Ranked team
PAC-10 team

There must be a few more reasons.

12/17/2009, 02:51 PM
they surely should be hungry for a bowl win, since they haven't been to one in a while. hopefully our guys are tired of losing though... most of them haven't won a bowl game eitherIf I was Bob Stoops, at this point, I would be VERY MOTIVATED to get a win, here. I would be a freakin' TYRANT about instilling a proper winning attitude among the players. Our recruiting has been good, but not excellent, lately, and i'm thinking another bowl loss would yield considerable disappointment in the rhealm of recruiting.(not to mention the headaches another bowl loss would create for Bob)

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2009, 02:55 PM
This QB could be Better than you think....?

LINK...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/wires/12/16/2060.ap.fbc.t25.stanford.pritchard.0847/

Is he better than we think? No...
Could he play out of his mind against OU like some other not very talented quarterbacks have in the past? Yes

Bourbon St Sooner
12/17/2009, 03:01 PM
I'd laugh but we have a recent history of making any opposing quarterbacks in bowl games look like Joe Montana or Tommie Frazier or a combination of both.

12/17/2009, 03:05 PM
They all want a piece of our flesh. Do we care?...maybe not.

Jello Biafra
12/17/2009, 03:17 PM
let the cinderella stories begin

yermom
12/17/2009, 03:24 PM
you mean Landry's Cinderella story? maybe Chris Brown's? :D

we are the unranked team in this deal...

12/17/2009, 03:35 PM

we are the unranked team in this deal...Here's to our team getting hungry!

Blues1
12/17/2009, 03:39 PM
Stanford Fans...? -- Wow -- Looking at THE STANFORD Board - You Hardly know They are playing in a Bowl Game.....
Link
http://www.thecardboard.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1260979221

Widescreen
12/17/2009, 03:58 PM

we are the unranked team in this deal...

That doesn't seem to matter. It's still Stanford vs. Big Bad Oklahoma. I think we were favored by a TD against Boise and they were ranked higher than us. They beat us and it's still regarded as one of the greatest upsets in college football history. I'll bet if you asked the typical college fan, they'd be shocked to learn we were only a 1 TD favorite.

PDXsooner
12/17/2009, 04:10 PM
As usual, we have nothing to gain in this Stanford game, so we won't motivate, i'm afraid.

i sure hope the team isn't planning on relying on that as another excuse. that seems to be the fallback answer for every team that loses their bowl game. "we had nothing to play for", blah blah blah.

you are an athlete. a competitor. you have 4 years to leave it all on the field and you will never play again for the rest of your life. find the motivation or quit.

12/17/2009, 04:40 PM
i sure hope the team isn't planning on relying on that as another excuse. that seems to be the fallback answer for every team that loses their bowl game. "we had nothing to play for", blah blah blah.

you are an athlete. a competitor. you have 4 years to leave it all on the field and you will never play again for the rest of your life. find the motivation or quit.I suspect the NFL permeates the brains of many of our guys, any more. Bob should be able to do something about that, shouldn't he?

rawlingsHOH
12/17/2009, 04:46 PM
Seriously. Did anyone on our team play in the Holiday Bowl? It would have to have been a true freshman who later redshirted.

I'd guess Matt Clapp.

BoulderSooner79
12/17/2009, 05:04 PM
That doesn't seem to matter. It's still Stanford vs. Big Bad Oklahoma. I think we were favored by a TD against Boise and they were ranked higher than us. They beat us and it's still regarded as one of the greatest upsets in college football history. I'll bet if you asked the typical college fan, they'd be shocked to learn we were only a 1 TD favorite.

Stanford isn't Boise - they are a BCS conference team the beat the Pac10 champ ducks in a shootout and hammered USC in the coliseum. The Pac10 is considered stronger than the big12 this year (and I agree) and Stanford's ranking is deserved. If we are favored, it is because of our defense and not because of the OU uniform (and certainly not because of our road success).

cvsooner
12/17/2009, 05:53 PM
I'd guess Matt Clapp.

According to soonersports.com:

Clayton, Keenan
Clapp, Matt
English, Auston

All saw the field.

Boomer!!
12/17/2009, 07:56 PM
If I was Bob Stoops, at this point, I would be VERY MOTIVATED to get a win, here. I would be a freakin' TYRANT about instilling a proper winning attitude among the players. Our recruiting has been good, but not excellent, lately, and i'm thinking another bowl loss would yield considerable disappointment in the rhealm of recruiting.(not to mention the headaches another bowl loss would create for Bob)

My thoughts exactly!

soonerguild
12/17/2009, 11:01 PM

This right here is what is the most annoying of all the aftermath of that game. Was it one of the best college football games ever, yes, was it one of the biggest upsets ever, not even close. How many 1 td favorites lose every year. SI just had it is as the second biggest upset of the decade behind mich appy state. Really!

At the end of the day though it is still nice to be big bad oklahoma.

King Barry's Back
12/18/2009, 04:02 AM
This right here is what is the most annoying of all the aftermath of that game. Was it one of the best college football games ever, yes, was it one of the biggest upsets ever, not even close. How many 1 td favorites lose every year. SI just had it is as the second biggest upset of the decade behind mich appy state. Really!

I'm with you. That crap sucks. App State is a Div 1A team. Boise is not only Div 1, but they're consistently in the top 10 and rarely lose more than one game per year.

They just like to rub salt in the wounds -- which we let happen and therefore deserve.

cvsooner
12/18/2009, 04:38 PM

It wasn't even one of the best games ever. It was one of the most entertaining fourth quarter and overtime periods, ever. The first three quarters frankly were pretty dull.

bri
12/18/2009, 04:49 PM
I suspect the NFL permeates the brains of many of our guys, any more. Bob should be able to do something about that, shouldn't he?

Yes, yes he should. Because Bob Stoops can control people's minds!

goingoneight
12/18/2009, 05:00 PM

So THAT'S WHY HE MAKES TEH BIG BUCZ!!!11!!11 :eek:

KantoSooner
12/18/2009, 05:14 PM

Note photo to left: Bob in the act of exerting mind control (it's all in the wrists)

12/18/2009, 05:17 PM

You don't think the Sooners have a preparedness problem with their bowl games?

rawlingsHOH
12/18/2009, 05:31 PM
According to soonersports.com:

Clayton, Keenan
Clapp, Matt
English, Auston

All saw the field.

I don't think soonersports.com is correct about Keenan Clayton, I think the first time he saw the field as a Sooner was the 2006 UAB game.

Though maybe English played. His redshirt was pulled after some injuries on the DL in 2005 (John Williams for one). There was also talk about pulling Eldridge's redshirt too, as he came in as a DE!

goingoneight
12/18/2009, 05:41 PM
You don't think the Sooners have a preparedness problem with their bowl games?

Against USC? Yes. Against Boise and WVU? Kinda. Depth was exposed there, as well as the sense of entitlement.

LSU was a competitive battle we just came up short in.

Mistakes did us in against Florida. Mistakes happen to every player in every game. Great teams expose those mistakes and take advantage of them. Like Jason White tossing a pick six killing any kind of immediate momentum we needed to start off in the Sugar Bowl. Like Iglesias and Johnson stone-handsing the rock up for grabs to the Gator DBs. Like Duke Robinson missing his block twice on 1st and Goal, then again on 2nd and Goal. Then we put in a new LG, and the LT whiffs on his block.

It's a total crapshoot. I mean, it's obviously a trend to lose bowl games, that looks scary to turn to losing against Stanford, admittedly... but each game was vastly different.

bri
12/18/2009, 05:47 PM
Note photo to left: Bob in the act of exerting mind control (it's all in the wrists)

I thought he was squeezing some invisible boobs.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/2455203759_64c00e7fda_o.jpg

rawlingsHOH
12/18/2009, 05:54 PM
Against USC? Yes. Against Boise and WVU? Kinda. Depth was exposed there, as well as the sense of entitlement.

LSU was a competitive battle we just came up short in.

Mistakes did us in against Florida. Mistakes happen to every player in every game. Great teams expose those mistakes and take advantage of them. Like Jason White tossing a pick six killing any kind of immediate momentum we needed to start off in the Sugar Bowl. Like Iglesias and Johnson stone-handsing the rock up for grabs to the Gator DBs. *Like Duke Robinson missing his block twice on 1st and Goal, then again on 2nd and Goal. Then we put in a new LG, and the LT whiffs on his block.*

It's a total crapshoot. I mean, it's obviously a trend to lose bowl games, that looks scary to turn to losing against Stanford, admittedly... but each game was vastly different.
Agree with your post fully!

Just noting those were NOT the events that happened on the goalline stand by Florida, you got some wrong parties at fault.

Salt City Sooner
12/18/2009, 06:58 PM
According to their bios on Soonersports, Clayton RS'd in '05, English in '06, & Clapp in '07.

rawlingsHOH
12/18/2009, 07:18 PM
According to their bios on Soonersports, Clayton RS'd in '05, English in '06, & Clapp in '07.

That's correct!

recemp
12/18/2009, 07:54 PM

The team that played Boise was an over-achieving bunch of guys that had a lot of heart.Guys like Paul Thompson played above their heads just to get us to a Big XII championship and a BCS bowl.
We tend to think of ourselves as big bad OU and don't make excuses, but looking back when the Sooner Kool Aid has wore off - losing a tight one to Boise should not have been a surprise to anyone

TXBOOMER
12/19/2009, 08:49 PM

How about avoiding humiliation yet again?

soonerspudman
12/20/2009, 12:11 PM

Glad your brought this up, this has gotten whipped into a huge fallacy, the media pinheads refer to it as one of the biggest upsets in college football history, while it was a great game it was hardly an upset. You are correct, BSU was ranked higher and OU was a 7 pt favorite, in fact only a mild upset.