PDA

View Full Version : Karen Carpenter's voice creeps me out

TUSooner
12/17/2009, 09:20 AM
Secretary across the hall is playing "Merry Christmas, Darling" (or whatever it's called) sung by the late Ms. Carpenter, and I had to stifle my gag reflex for 3 minutes or so. I don't really know why she creeps me out. Her low voice sounded good, but I just never liked any Carpenter songs. And when she died her songs got extra creepy. Thank you for reading this very important personal observation. :O That is all. Carry on.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2009, 09:28 AM
She needed to lose weight

yermom
12/17/2009, 09:43 AM
after Tommy Boy, Superstar cracks me up every time i hear it

every. time.

Q92koTpH6Gg

OUMallen
12/17/2009, 10:04 AM
I love her voice. Pitch-perfect.

C&CDean
12/17/2009, 10:07 AM
Her voice doesn't creep me out as much as looking at her did.

Also, her brother was a damn fine pianist with a ton more talent than stick-girl had.

Mjcpr
12/17/2009, 10:10 AM
Her voice doesn't creep me out as much as looking at her did.

Also, her brother was a damn fine pianist with a ton more talent than stick-girl had.

That must be the reason for his skyrocketing career since her death.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2009, 10:12 AM
after Tommy Boy, Superstar cracks me up every time i hear it

every. time.

Q92koTpH6Gg

Talk about lame

JohnnyMack
12/17/2009, 10:13 AM
I actually got in an argument the other day when someone told me they thought Janis Joplin had a better singing voice that Karen Carpenter.

C&CDean
12/17/2009, 10:14 AM
That must be the reason for his skyrocketing career since her death.

So Pat, are you really stupid enough to believe that talent has anything to do with fame and fortune?

stoops the eternal pimp
Mama Cass stole her sammiches

TUSooner
Her voice doesn't creep me out as much as looking at her did....

I think that's it; the voice makes me see her, which is creepy.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2009, 10:15 AM
I actually got in an argument the other day when someone told me they thought Janis Joplin had a better singing voice that Karen Carpenter.

if your into the sounds like they are gargling glass-type voice I guess:confused:

C&CDean
12/17/2009, 10:15 AM

Karen Carpenter was a field sparrow. Janis Joplin was a hawk, a crow, and a buzzard all wrapped up in one. I'd rather listen to JJ belt it out than KC trill.

Mjcpr
12/17/2009, 10:16 AM
So Pat, are you really stupid enough to believe that talent has anything to do with fame and fortune?

I believe we are all well aware of just how stupid I may or may not be, sir.

JohnnyMack
12/17/2009, 10:17 AM
Karen Carpenter was a field sparrow. Janis Joplin was a hawk, a crow, and a buzzard all wrapped up in one. I'd rather listen to JJ belt it out than KC trill.

In the words of :dean:, meh.

TUSooner
12/17/2009, 10:17 AM
Mama Cass stole her sammiches

:mad: Don't you be dissin Mama Cass!!

Mama Cass had a fabulous voice, like a stream of clean, clear water.
Janis - not so much. But that's 2 real sad cases in their own ways.

C&CDean
12/17/2009, 10:20 AM
In the words of :dean:, meh.

So what you're saying is you'd rather listen to David Gates and Bread than Robert Plant and Zeppelin? The Bee Gees instead of Daltry and The Who?

Fag.

JohnnyMack
12/17/2009, 10:24 AM
So what you're saying is you'd rather listen to David Gates and Bread than Robert Plant and Zeppelin? The Bee Gees instead of Daltry and The Who?

Fag.

No. I said Karen Carpenter has a better voice than Janis Joplin. Period. Not debatable.

C&CDean
12/17/2009, 10:31 AM
No. I said Karen Carpenter has a better voice than Janis Joplin. Period. Not debatable.

Better by what standard? Pitch? No argument there.

I can tell you and some others have never listened to JJ much. Yeah, I'm sure you've heard "Oh lord, won't ya buy me a Mercedes Benz..." or Me and Bobby McGee and that's what you're basing your opinion on. Dig into her stuff a little. Go check out Try (just a little bit harder) or her version of Summertime or Move Over or Ball and Chain or even Amazing Grace. That girl had it going on.

yermom
12/17/2009, 10:41 AM
there is a difference between voice and delivery though

Howzit
12/17/2009, 10:44 AM
Karen's ninja drummer skilz were unsurpassed. Little known fact: She actually did the drum solo on inagodadavida.

Probably.

Mjcpr
12/17/2009, 10:47 AM
Karen's ninja drummer skilz were unsurpassed. Little known fact: She actually did the drum solo on inagodadavida.

Probably.

Drumsticks or forearms? Hard to tell.

Half a Hundred
12/17/2009, 11:19 AM
Better by what standard? Pitch? No argument there.

I can tell you and some others have never listened to JJ much. Yeah, I'm sure you've heard "Oh lord, won't ya buy me a Mercedes Benz..." or Me and Bobby McGee and that's what you're basing your opinion on. Dig into her stuff a little. Go check out Try (just a little bit harder) or her version of Summertime or Move Over or Ball and Chain or even Amazing Grace. That girl had it going on.

Agreed. I don't think any singer since has put as much raw emotion into their work as she did, and as effectively.

Howzit
12/17/2009, 11:27 AM
Agreed. I don't think any singer since has put as much raw emotion into their work as she did, and as effectively.

You, sir, have apparently never heard much Hole.

Howzit
12/17/2009, 11:28 AM
Drumsticks or forearms? Hard to tell.

Where does one end and the other start? I dunno.

OUMallen
12/17/2009, 11:41 AM
You, sir, have apparently never heard much Hole.

We could all use more Hole in our lives.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2009, 11:46 AM
I bet it would be like having sex with a pencil

Howzit
12/17/2009, 11:55 AM
It's like driving a car down a railroad track...you get where you're going but you feel every bump along the way.

Mjcpr
12/17/2009, 11:57 AM
The good news is I bet she'd built up a decent tolerance to the gag reflex.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2009, 12:00 PM
yeah but she didn't like anything going in her mouth

Howzit
12/17/2009, 12:02 PM
She thought of her esophogus as more of an outie.

OUMallen
12/17/2009, 12:07 PM
Pitch perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPmbT5XC-q0&feature=related

Breadburner
12/17/2009, 12:37 PM
If Cass Elliot would have given Karen Carpenter half her sandwhich they both would be alive today.....

picasso
12/17/2009, 01:27 PM
Carpenter had one the best purest voices ever to be recorded. Their Christmas album is still pretty good stuff.

Plus, Reno Hightower liked her.

Howzit
12/17/2009, 01:40 PM
Pitch perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPmbT5XC-q0&feature=related

She looks like she has a boner.

get it?

RacerX
12/17/2009, 02:08 PM
she no haz cheezeburger

Oldnslo
12/17/2009, 04:17 PM
Don't you remember? You told me you love me, baby.

sooneron
12/17/2009, 04:33 PM
fkGUt4QYc08

good stuff.

:dean: knows his moldy oldies.

JohnnyMack
12/17/2009, 04:37 PM
^ Guarantee you howzie got a boner when he saw Mr. White Pants at the 42 second mark.

Howzit
12/17/2009, 04:46 PM
^ Guarantee you howzie got a boner when he saw Mr. White Pants at the 42 second mark.

Well, duh. That's a freakin 60's vintage Gibson SG he's playing.

TUSooner
12/17/2009, 04:57 PM
The timbre of Karen Carpenter's voice was very smooth and nice and all, but as I said, on whole, she creeeeeeeps me out. Joplin's voice certainly could have a rough edge, but in all other respects, she was a better singer than KC.[EDIT: I dont even know what that means. How come nobody's called me out on it?! :D ] I really like the sound of Cass Elliot, though. Not that I know anything except what I like. :)

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2009, 05:03 PM
It probably took 20 minutes for her body to decompose once they got her in the ground

Oldnslo
12/17/2009, 06:28 PM
Rainy days and Mondays always get her down. But she couldn't keep it down.

</rimshot>

I am the funniest mf I know!

Breadburner
12/17/2009, 06:35 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WFMdmMXS4Co&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WFMdmMXS4Co&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Curly Bill
12/17/2009, 06:43 PM
Count me in as a Karen Carpenter fan.

I wouldn't walk across the street to hear Janis Joplin sing.

12/17/2009, 07:26 PM
Never forget, their studio techniques advanced bands like Def Leppard.

VeeJay
12/17/2009, 07:27 PM
"We've Only Just Begun." From The Poseidon Adventure

"My Heart Will Go On" From Titanic

I'm looking forward already to the next cruise ship disaster flick so some equally annoying song can peel the rest of the paint off my dog trailer.

VeeJay
12/17/2009, 07:30 PM

"Piece of My heart" What a kickass song.

With the raspy, hoarse wailing of Janis and the off-key, disjointed backing vocals, it's obvious they were all drunk, high or tipping, or a combination of those three.

Greatness.

proud gonzo
12/18/2009, 02:06 AM
i don't like janis joplin OR karen carpenter. So THERE.

yermom
12/18/2009, 03:35 AM
i don't remember anyone asking you :P

C&CDean
12/18/2009, 10:04 AM
Count me in as a Karen Carpenter fan.

I wouldn't walk across the street to hear Janis Joplin sing.

Yeah, well you think our football coaches all suck and should be fired, so it's obvious you've got a dildo without a battery for a brain.

tbl
12/18/2009, 10:32 AM
dbjTIj94qP8

Gimme this any day over Karen Carpenter. Don't get me wrong, she could sing and all, but her lower register doesn't do it for me, in addition to her loneliness and depression oozing through her songs. I agree with TU on the creepiness.

I know critics of Janis say she shrieks, but it's extremely difficult to sing the way she did and stay in tune (which she did). Not saying she doesn't hit a sour note here or there during her live performances, but still... she was frying her brain out on acid while being riddled with syphylis, so cut her some slack.

JohnnyMack
12/18/2009, 10:41 AM
Janis Joplin isn't even one of the ten best white female vocalists ever.

She was talented but as a vocalist she's really quite marginal.

C&CDean
12/18/2009, 11:04 AM
Janis Joplin isn't even one of the ten best white female vocalists ever.

She was talented but as a vocalist she's really quite marginal.

Dude, JJ was a singer. Not a vocalist.

I know you're all bonerized over Celine Dion and Babwa Stweisand.

sooneron
12/18/2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah, well you think our football coaches all suck and should be fired, so it's obvious you've got a dildo without a battery for a brain.

:pop:

sooneron
12/18/2009, 12:54 PM
Uh, yeah, calling JJ a "vocalist" is one of the biggest stretches evar.

TUSooner
12/18/2009, 02:11 PM
We've hashed out JJ on this board before. I'll give you that she could sing right notes and was full of soul and power and pathos and tragedy and style and feeling and all that kind of stuff that emanates from a lost life crumbling like a 2-week-old dog turd. For many people, all of that makes up for her lack of other aesthetic qualities. Fair enough, but not my cuppa. KC on the other hand had a "nice' voice, but a one so low and bland you'd think she was on the verge of slipping into a terminal coma; thus the major creepiness.
Now...
Who has the pic of the dead horse being flogged? :D

picasso
12/18/2009, 04:26 PM
You guys want to know how bright Faith Hill is? Years after she did the cover of Take Another Little of My Heart, she finally heard the original.

Seriously? She'd never heard that song before? WTF man.

Curly Bill
12/18/2009, 04:27 PM

I normally think your rants are pretty funny. You tried too hard this time.

C&CDean
12/18/2009, 04:32 PM
I didn't try at all. It's just what popped outta my fingers.

And I'd have to say the same thing again. I mean anybody who would rather listen to Karen Carpenter over Janis Joplin is either a) deaf, b) blind, c) deaf, dumb, and blind, or d) gay.

Janis blew you off the stage. She RYFO and then stomped on it. Carpenter? Nyet.

Curly Bill
12/18/2009, 04:37 PM
JJ sounded like a bag of rabid, sore-throated cats. I guess some folks like that.

C&CDean
12/18/2009, 04:40 PM
Dude, people like/liked grunge. Talk about a bunch of bands with the only requirement be that the lead singer try to impersonate Tom Waites on steroids.

You need to listen to some JJ. Not a utoob thingy, but an album. She was rough, but she could sing a lot better than folks give her credit for.

Curly Bill
12/18/2009, 04:49 PM
Dude, people like/liked grunge. Talk about a bunch of bands with the only requirement be that the lead singer try to impersonate Tom Waites on steroids.

You need to listen to some JJ. Not a utoob thingy, but an album. She was rough, but she could sing a lot better than folks give her credit for.

You could be right about that. I know what I have heard I haven't liked. I know a lot of folks like her, so I can respect that.

TUSooner
12/18/2009, 04:50 PM
FWIW, I read that JJ got her start in a babdis church choir and was recognized as a real talent back then. Then the 60s got ahold of her and she sadly didn't come out alive.

1960s = whole 'nother ****in' can o' worms

JohnnyMack
12/18/2009, 05:29 PM
Oh-ver-rated! Clap! Clap! Clapclapclap!

C&CDean
12/19/2009, 10:59 AM
Says The Carpenter's #1 fan. I have to say it again. Fag.

MR2-Sooner86
12/19/2009, 11:27 AM
To hell with them both, give me Grace Slick!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/19/2009, 11:55 AM
I love her voice. Pitch-perfect.One of the most beautiful female voices of all-time, IMHO.

12/19/2009, 12:06 PM
The timbre of Karen Carpenter's voice was very smooth and nice and all, but as I said, on whole, she creeeeeeeps me out. Joplin's voice certainly could have a rough edge, but in all other respects, she was a better singer than KC.[EDIT: I dont even know what that means. How come nobody's called me out on it?! :D ] I really like the sound of Cass Elliot, though. Not that I know anything except what I like. :)All three were great singing talents, and as the Billy Joel lyrics go, "Only the Good Die Young."(no, I don't really believe that)

12/19/2009, 12:11 PM

And I'd have to say the same thing again. I mean anybody who would rather listen to Karen Carpenter over Janis Joplin is either a) deaf, b) blind, c) deaf, dumb, and blind, or d) gay.

Janis blew you off the stage. She RYFO and then stomped on it. Carpenter? Nyet.Uh huh, from the guy who said JJ is the ONLIEST female he likes to listen to.

12/19/2009, 12:11 PM

Janis blew you off the stage. She RYFO and then stomped on it. Carpenter? Nyet.Yeah, read it again.

12/19/2009, 12:14 PM
To hell with them both, give me Grace Slick!Kudos! another fab talent, and what a looker when young.

C&CDean
12/19/2009, 07:19 PM
Dude, how about you stick to You & Tuba doing the reach around threads.

Grace Slick was uber-meh. However, I'd listen to the Airplane way before I'd listen to Johnny Mack's favorite singer of all time croon her anorexic blues.

12/19/2009, 11:07 PM
Dude, how about you stick to You & Tuba doing the reach around threads.

Grace Slick was uber-meh. However, I'd listen to the Airplane way before I'd listen to Johnny Mack's favorite singer of all time croon her anorexic blues.If one has arrested development in his musical tastes, one could say something like that.

12/20/2009, 05:39 AM
http://msa4.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/applesandoranges.jpg

A Sooner in Texas
12/20/2009, 10:23 PM
Both KC and JJ would get on my last nerve if I listened to either for more than 10 minutes at a time. KC's voice was beautiful and smooth, but no emotion whatsoever. JJ's was all fire, but after awhile it would hurt my own throat to listen to her. "Piece of My Heart" is one of the great rock songs, however.
As far as female vocalists go, I love me some Annie Lennox and k.d. lang has an incredible voice. The only recent one who has half a voice is Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas. Don't like their music, but during the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Concert on HBO, she definitely wailed and held her own with Jagger.

tbl
12/21/2009, 12:28 PM
Annie Lennox FTW...

C&CDean
12/21/2009, 12:37 PM
Ann Wilson FTW...

Fixed.

Curly Bill
12/21/2009, 03:54 PM
Atta boy Deano!

Ann Wilson FTW!!! :D

KC//CRIMSON
12/21/2009, 04:17 PM
Ann Wilson beat anorexia, big time.

Curly Bill
12/21/2009, 04:22 PM

Yeah she did! :D

JohnnyMack
12/21/2009, 04:25 PM

Ann Wilson was to anorexia what Mike Tyson was to Trevor Berbick.

sooneron
12/21/2009, 04:30 PM
I kinda dig Karen's voice for all of the reasons that TUSooner stated. I'm weird that way. Personally, I don't value KC above JJ or the other way around. It's like comparing apples to pineapples. AM Gold vs. Album rock FM.

C&CDean
12/21/2009, 04:39 PM
I kinda dig Karen's voice for all of the reasons that TUSooner stated. I'm weird that way. Personally, I don't value KC above JJ or the other way around. It's like comparing apples to pineapples. AM Gold vs. Album rock FM.

Or like straight anal sex as the pitcher to gay anal sex as the catcher?

A Sooner in Texas
12/21/2009, 08:36 PM

It's all in the preferences, apparently. SOMEBODY'S gotta be the catcher, and SOMEBODY had to like Karen Carpenter's voice. She and her bro sold millions of records somehow.

sooneron
12/21/2009, 09:30 PM

You tell me.:D