PDA

View Full Version : Owens transferring

badger
12/15/2009, 06:02 PM
Sorry... but at least he's going to Tulsa.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091215_92_0_Jameel527288)

stoops the eternal pimp
12/15/2009, 06:04 PM
Pat Jones said he should transfer to NSU because he wasn't anything great and he could get PT right away..

If he wasn't good enough to get on the field with the average at best WR corp OU fielded this year, I wouldnt go calling him a starter for next

sooneredaco
12/15/2009, 06:06 PM
That one is gonna sting a bit

stoops the eternal pimp
12/15/2009, 06:07 PM
Why?

badger
12/15/2009, 06:09 PM
I don't think it will hurt, but I am always sad to see a Sooner transfer (unless they are rule breakers and Bob kicks em off the team, of course).

This won't sting, because I'm sure we're recruit some solid receivers... you know, one that can catch half the time :(

OK2U
12/15/2009, 06:13 PM
Good luck

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/15/2009, 06:16 PM
what coach recruited him?

badger
12/15/2009, 06:18 PM

Chuck Third and Long!

(ducks from all of the flying red spek squares flying this direction)

Breadburner
12/15/2009, 06:58 PM
He will never make it at TU......

Jello Biafra
12/15/2009, 07:13 PM
"im sure we can find someone to catch 8 passes this season"

TXBOOMER
12/15/2009, 07:53 PM
GL to him. Maybe they can work him a DB. He has hands of stone.

okienole3
12/15/2009, 07:57 PM

Jackie Shipp?

rawlingsHOH
12/15/2009, 08:08 PM
Surprised he got reps in 08, albiet limited to garbage time. Didn't see him dress once in 09.

Did he regress? Attitude problem? Any one have any insight on this?

Eielson
12/15/2009, 08:21 PM
He will never make it at TU......

I bet you he does.

okiedokie
12/15/2009, 08:22 PM
good luck to him but we will be fine...

King Barry's Back
12/15/2009, 08:36 PM

Hmmm...curious, how do you know this? Based on his limited action his freshman year? Watching him at practice? High school?

I've barely heard of the guy, just wondering how you know he can't catch?

Though, if he couldn't break into the rotation with the 09 receiver squad, it's pretty certain the guy can't play. Or catch.

King Barry's Back
12/15/2009, 08:41 PM
good luck to him but we will be fine...

Don't get me wrong. I do wish the young man would stay, and get better, but Tulsa hopefully sounds like a better fit for him -- so best wishes.

But this "we will be fine" attitude. I've been one of the first ones to say, "We'll be fine" when somebody leaves. Not that I don't wish they would stay, but I pretty much don't really care about guys that are not Sooners, whether recruits we lose, or transfers, what have you. Play with those that want to wear red.

But then look at this year. We lost quite a few guys through attrition in the last few years, and look at the crapfest we put on the field. Maybe a six loss season.

We aren't fine. Would it have been better if we still had, say, Jarboe? Maybe, probably wouldn't have hurt. Would it have been better if Nichols were still in red? Maybe, probably wouldn't have hurt. Etc.

Maybe we need to start holding on to people?

BoulderSooner79
12/15/2009, 09:39 PM
In the case of Jarboe, I don't care if we would have had more wins - we're still better off without him. Some things are more important than W/L.

As for other players, I don't know. I hope Stoops evaluates each situation and looks for trends. Offering the wrong player because we ignored something? Coaches chasing off players unnecessarily? Too much competition at a particular position? Are we worse than other programs in this area and if so why? I don't have any answers myself.

westbrooke
12/15/2009, 11:48 PM
Don't get me wrong. I do wish the young man would stay, and get better, but Tulsa hopefully sounds like a better fit for him -- so best wishes.

But this "we will be fine" attitude. I've been one of the first ones to say, "We'll be fine" when somebody leaves. Not that I don't wish they would stay, but I pretty much don't really care about guys that are not Sooners, whether recruits we lose, or transfers, what have you. Play with those that want to wear red.

But then look at this year. We lost quite a few guys through attrition in the last few years, and look at the crapfest we put on the field. Maybe a six loss season.

We aren't fine. Would it have been better if we still had, say, Jarboe? Maybe, probably wouldn't have hurt. Would it have been better if Nichols were still in red? Maybe, probably wouldn't have hurt. Etc.

Maybe we need to start holding on to people?

I'm with you for the most part. It's hard to guess who will pan out and who won't, so I always feel a bit of "what if..." regret when someone leaves or we miss out on a stud recruit, tempered by my confidence in the coaches.

In this case, though, I think there's a solid basis for the general shrug at this news. He's been on campus two years. If he could help us, he would have been on the field this year, of all years. And if memory serves, I think his issues were as much attitude as anything. We may not be fine at receiver right now, but it was probably in everyone's best interest for us to look for our answer elsewhere and let Owens go.

Hope it works out well for him. And us.

TXBOOMER
12/16/2009, 12:16 AM
Hmmm...curious, how do you know this? Based on his limited action his freshman year? Watching him at practice? High school?

I've barely heard of the guy, just wondering how you know he can't catch?

Though, if he couldn't break into the rotation with the 09 receiver squad, it's pretty certain the guy can't play. Or catch.

Because I am at practice every day!

Not really. Speculation...If he can catch he should have played. If there were other issues that caused him to stay off the field he should have been removed from the team. You don't want pi$$ heads hanging around, that rubs off on everybody else.

BoulderSooner79
12/16/2009, 12:51 AM
I don't go to practice either. But the earlier write-ups of why Owens was not getting PT was poor footwork resulting in poor routes and not getting open. Didn't see mention of his hands, but greats hands don't help if you can't get open.

jonclarkx
12/16/2009, 01:15 AM
Did everyone fail to read this?

"Matt Hennesy was Owens' high school coach. He said a main reason for Owens' departure includes the ill health of his mother.

'His mom is sick and he wants to come home and get closer to her,' Hennesy said on Tuesday afternoon. 'I don't think he was unhappy at OU and think he would have started next year.'"

Sounds like it wasn't just his attitude, or lack of skill etc. I was wondering myself what happened with this kid over the past two years (especially this year with our weak receiving corps), but best of luck to him in the future.

unbiasedtruth
12/16/2009, 05:20 AM
Good luck to him and hope he is a success both on and off the field for the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes.....

BillyBall
12/16/2009, 08:49 AM

Kevin Sumlin?

CincySooner
12/16/2009, 09:40 AM

"Matt Hennesy was Owens' high school coach. He said a main reason for Owens' departure includes the ill health of his mother.....

It's not every day you see your 9th grade science teacher in college football news.

rawlingsHOH
12/16/2009, 09:40 AM

According to Rivals, Shipp.

soonerborn30
12/16/2009, 10:02 AM
I'm in the "we'll be fine" camp. Bob and Co. have never failed to find us capable receivers. From the collective greatness of the '00 unit, to the singular greatness of Mark Clayton, to Malcolm Kelly, to the group we just lost in Iggy, Manny, and Gresh, we always seem to find a way. And that's not even covering guys like Travis Wilson, Brandon Jones, etc.

It always sucks to see a guy that apparently had potential not pan out for us, but I think we'll be OK in the end.

badger
12/16/2009, 10:17 AM
This might have been a case of relying too much on recruiting services and not actual recruiting (scouting, film, witnessing games in person, etc.)

He was the No. 8 receiving prospect in the entire country in 2008, according to Rivals.

Link (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1823)

This put him as a more desired recruit in Rivals' eyes than Jarboe and Miller, who we also signed in 2008. Alas, it just wasn't meant to be. Best of luck to him at TU.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/16/2009, 10:48 AM
So what's the deal. As Badg suggests was he overrated? I fail to see that someone who was so highly rated progresses to get himself on the scout team without having done something really wrong. Was he a "slacker", didn't care or got caught in the Freshman experience?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2009, 10:51 AM

"Matt Hennesy was Owens' high school coach. He said a main reason for Owens' departure includes the ill health of his mother.

'His mom is sick and he wants to come home and get closer to her,' Hennesy said on Tuesday afternoon. 'I don't think he was unhappy at OU and think he would have started next year.'"

Sounds like it wasn't just his attitude, or lack of skill etc. I was wondering myself what happened with this kid over the past two years (especially this year with our weak receiving corps), but best of luck to him in the future.

His high school coach also said Owens was going to be a starter next year...so I immediately lost track of the rest of what he said after that

goingoneight
12/16/2009, 11:47 AM

Seeing how he never dropped a pass during his time at OU and all. Word has it his mother isn't doing well. I guess that makes him not good enough.

badger
12/16/2009, 11:58 AM
Only the coaches and players will know why this talented young receiver didn't see the field too much, but I can respect his decision to need to leave OU to be closer to his mother.

Remember Tashard Choice?

However, when the article mentioned that he was looking to be a starter, I can help but think that this decision to transfer also had a lot to do with playing time, which is why I mentioned his Rivals rating.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2009, 12:03 PM
Big difference was Tashard Choice was a long way from home...

TMcGee86
12/16/2009, 12:09 PM
This might have been a case of relying too much on recruiting services and not actual recruiting (scouting, film, witnessing games in person, etc.)

He was the No. 8 receiving prospect in the entire country in 2008, according to Rivals.

Link (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1823)

This put him as a more desired recruit in Rivals' eyes than Jarboe and Miller, who we also signed in 2008. Alas, it just wasn't meant to be. Best of luck to him at TU.

Actually the guy was a flat out stud in HS. He was amazing and I heard more than one person say he was the best HS player that had ever seen in OK.

I am really shocked this didn't work out. I thought him and McGee would dominate in college.

And did his mom move to Tulsa or something? I can't see how Tulsa is so much closer to Muskogee than Norman that it would be that big of a difference. We are talking like 30mins closer at most.

badger
12/16/2009, 12:17 PM
30 mins to an hour, somewhere in there. I guess it makes a big difference when gas prices aren't 89 cents anymore (ahhh, the good ol' days) and you're constantly making the trip, I guess.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/16/2009, 12:48 PM
I wish the kid well, but playing at OU and succeeding seems to be better than playing at Tulsa and succeeding. Just saying, I understand family and all, but you also need to think of your future. Not getting playing time, perhaps you aren't as good as you think.

badger
12/16/2009, 12:57 PM
The ESPN TMQ article this week stressed that 95 percent of big-school football athletes will never play a down of NFL football (based on the statistic that about 200 rookies play in the NFL each season, there are about 2,000 big-school football athletes and taking into consideration that there are many NFL players from no-name schools).

As our studly o-lineman for the Nawlins Saints told players when he came back to Norman for his degree - LISTEN TO STOOPS. GET YOUR EDUCATION WHILE YOU'RE AT SCHOOL.

misplacedsooner
12/16/2009, 01:26 PM
i had high hopes for this kid and really was excited when we got him....sometimes things just dont work out for whatever reason. good luck to him and i wish him the best. before its all over i bet he wishes he was back here though as he watches us play for the national championship on tv

TXBOOMER
12/16/2009, 02:35 PM
Seeing how he never dropped a pass during his time at OU and all. Word has it his mother isn't doing well. I guess that makes him not good enough.

Lot's of kids parents are not doing well while their kids are at college or serving overseas for that matter. I hope everything works out for the kid and his mom but I would be surprised if that is the entire reason he is leaving especially considering he didn't play this year. But the bottom line is I don't know him or his family and I won't think about it another minute.

Jello Biafra
12/16/2009, 02:47 PM
As our studly o-lineman for the Nawlins Saints told players when he came back to Norman for his degree - LISTEN TO STOOPS. GET YOUR EDUCATION WHILE YOU'RE AT SCHOOL.

thats what im squeelin.... noone leave early. everyone stay the full 4 (to 6 ;) ) life is going to be COMPLETELY different when you leave the only thing you've known since you were 4 years old.

that plus green bay sucks

badger
12/16/2009, 03:06 PM
that plus green bay sucks

Remind me which of the 31 NFL teams I hate you declare allegiance to.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2009, 03:11 PM
prolly chicago

Jello Biafra
12/16/2009, 03:45 PM
prolly chicago

*sigh*

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2009, 03:46 PM
LMAO!! JAY CUTLER IS GOD!! LOL!!

Jello Biafra
12/16/2009, 03:47 PM
LMAO!! JAY CUTLER IS GOD!! LOL!!

*double sigh*

why am i the only person to see that our problems are not the with the kid under center?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2009, 03:50 PM
2 things...

Lack of Talent at WR
Jay Cutler being a turnover machine

BoulderSooner79
12/16/2009, 04:28 PM
2 things...

Lack of Talent at WR
Jay Cutler being a turnover machine

Cutler is making Denver look very smart. The draft picks they got from the bears are moving up the list with each loss...

Jello Biafra
12/16/2009, 04:34 PM
Cutler is making Denver look very smart. The draft picks they got from the bears are moving up the list with each loss...

*middle finger*

badger
12/16/2009, 04:45 PM
*double sigh*

why am i the only person to see that our problems are not the with the kid under center?

I'll tell ya what yer problem is... other than being a Chicago Bears fan.

Urlacher: Grrr, I'm a big scary bear that can make a late hit on Rodgers, haha! Scary bear!

(a few plays later)

Urlacher: Ow, ow, ow, I hurt my poor wrist, so I'm just gonna take the entire season off. Yay, free time!

:D

Jello Biafra
12/16/2009, 04:49 PM
I'll tell ya what yer problem is... other than being a Chicago Bears fan.

Urlacher: Grrr, I'm a big scary bear that can make a late hit on Rodgers, haha! Scary bear!

(a few plays later)

Urlacher: Ow, ow, ow, I hurt my poor wrist, so I'm just gonna take the entire season off. Yay, free time!

:D

*sigh*

you forgot about butkus...

Jello Biafra
12/16/2009, 04:56 PM
you cant even talk to me about late hits unless you are willing to GIVE me charles martin....dude. really?

badger
12/16/2009, 05:00 PM
*sigh*

you forgot about butkus...

Okie Dokie, then, here's my Butkus impersonation!

Butkus: I am coming out from years of hiding after appearing on that gawd-awful NBC kids soap opera (as a basketball coach mind you, haha) to cheer for MY Illinois Fightin' Illini. Oh look! They're showing my on camera! Why yes, I AM an Illini alumni, and I am so proud of MY Illini and their Rose Bowl berth. GO ILLINI!

(USC beats the ever living crap outta them)

Butkus: Well, g2g!

(and we never see or hear from him again)

Jello Biafra
12/16/2009, 05:05 PM
Okie Dokie, then, here's my Butkus impersonation!

Butkus: I am coming out from years of hiding after appearing on that gawd-awful NBC kids soap opera (as a basketball coach mind you, haha) to cheer for MY Illinois Fightin' Illini. Oh look! They're showing my on camera! Why yes, I AM an Illini alumni, and I am so proud of MY Illini and their Rose Bowl berth. GO ILLINI!

(USC beats the ever living crap outta them)

Butkus: Well, g2g!

(and we never see or hear from him again)

meh. he wore 50 in college. noone knew him then thats why he had to tell everyone he went to illinois. lol

Jello Biafra
12/16/2009, 05:11 PM
cmon now, don't tell me you had to internet cheat charles martin!

badger
12/16/2009, 05:11 PM
meh. he wore 50 in college. noone knew him then thats why he had to tell everyone he went to illinois. lol

Come on, give me another bear to impersonate... and to fill time, here's Lovie Smith!

Lovie: Oh man, we're losing so much that we need a scapegoat!

(millisecond later)

Lovie: Tommie Harris! Tommie could have played against the Bengals, but I rested him. Tommie could have played against the Cards, but got ejected. Tommie could have been happy, but I sent his best friend to go play for the Chiefs. Tommie's fault! Tommie's fault!

(and all of Sooner Nation, aside from Jello, jumps off da Bears bandwagon)

Jello Biafra
12/16/2009, 05:12 PM
Come on, give me another bear to impersonate... and to fill time, here's Lovie Smith!

Lovie: Oh man, we're losing so much that we need a scapegoat!

(millisecond later)

Lovie: Tommie Harris! Tommie could have played against the Bengals, but I rested him. Tommie could have played against the Cards, but got ejected. Tommie could have been happy, but I sent his best friend to go play for the Chiefs. Tommie's fault! Tommie's fault!

(and all of Sooner Nation, aside from Jello, jumps off da Bears bandwagon)

yeh not really a lovie fan either ;) our best option for a hc is standing on the sidelines at san fran

badger
12/16/2009, 05:16 PM
cmon now, don't tell me you had to internet cheat charles martin!

No I didn't, I was just ignoring you. I was in jr. high when Jim McMahon became one of Favre's many backups over the years that had either been a starter or left Green Bay to become one (it's a distinguished group). It was during this time that he was a guest on a local station's weekly Packer show, where they showed this video and Jim's sh!tfest after it happened.

He and Packer fans had a good laugh about it then. I don't think he's bitter. Why are you? Is it cuz you've only won one lousy Super Bowl? :D

Jello Biafra
12/16/2009, 07:24 PM
No I didn't, I was just ignoring you. I was in jr. high when Jim McMahon became one of Favre's many backups over the years that had either been a starter or left Green Bay to become one (it's a distinguished group). It was during this time that he was a guest on a local station's weekly Packer show, where they showed this video and Jim's sh!tfest after it happened.

He and Packer fans had a good laugh about it then. I don't think he's bitter. Why are you? Is it cuz you've only won one lousy Super Bowl? :D

maybe. ill never tell...;) but listen here, they were called WORLD championships when we were winning them. ;)