PDA

View Full Version : Oral Roberts dies...

John Kochtoston
12/15/2009, 03:33 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20091215_18_0_OralRo862074

JohnnyMack
12/15/2009, 03:41 PM
IBPat.

Dio
12/15/2009, 03:52 PM
Was he being carried off by a 900 ft tall Jesus?

bri
12/15/2009, 04:06 PM
I guess he was serious about that 8 mil.

badger
12/15/2009, 04:07 PM
Was he being carried off by a 900 ft tall Jesus?

He was asked if he realized how silly that sounded, and he said that he did, but that it was what God told him to say.

Mjcpr
12/15/2009, 04:56 PM
He was asked if he realized how silly that sounded, and he said that he did, but that it was what God told him to say.

Passing the blame....no wonder he was struck down in the prime of his life.

SunnySooner
12/15/2009, 05:28 PM
For good or for bad, he's another Okie who changed the world. I figured he must be close to 100, he's been old my entire life.

1890MilesToNorman
12/15/2009, 05:32 PM
Is that gold building still vacant ? (what 60 stories?) It was when I left the state back in the 80's.

bri
12/15/2009, 06:23 PM
Last time I looked, it had a few tenants, but more empty space than occupied. After CFS flamed out, no one wants to be that blight's third strike. :D

batonrougesooner
12/15/2009, 06:26 PM
What do you call two gay guys named Bob?

Oral Roberts.

Too soon?

badger
12/15/2009, 06:41 PM
He meant a lot to a lot of people, regardless of how you feel about his message, so it's sad.

He was 91.

bri
12/15/2009, 08:49 PM
I'm gonna watch Club Dread tonight, just for the "Oral Roberts/Dirty Sanchez" joke.

ndpruitt03
12/15/2009, 08:56 PM
Oral Roberts was still alive? I figured he died a long time ago.

StoopTroup
12/15/2009, 09:00 PM
I'll never forget his $29,000 Tax Returns when he was wearing Gucci Shoes and hauled around in Limos.

God have mercy on his soul.

picasso
12/15/2009, 09:07 PM
He founded a wonderful school that my brother and wife and many friends have graduated from.

Where's your school at bitches?

StoopTroup
12/15/2009, 09:11 PM
The Folks who ran the School were the real Saints.

I did three years of Basketball Camp there as a kid.

I have great memories of that...of Oral...not so much.

picasso
12/15/2009, 09:12 PM
The Folks who ran the School were the real Saints.

I did three years of Basketball Camp there as a kid.

I have great memories of that...of Oral...not so much.

So says you. I can't wait to read your biography on his life. You're apparently an expert.

StoopTroup
12/15/2009, 09:15 PM
I watched him heal (?) folks in a tent.

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/50659331.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=4996399091E83186778927C1FD5E3DE2E7C3DB1D2EA1C136

Chuck Bao
12/15/2009, 09:40 PM
Whaterver you may have thought of him, I think ORU turned out some pretty impressive people.

My scholarship group from Southeastern visited ORU and the vast majority of us wanted to transfer. They had whiteboards and that may not sound all crazy high tech now, but all of the Southeastern classrooms still had blackboards and chalk. They probably still do. I am not saying that as a bad thing. German verb conjuction on a white board would definitely not be the same old school learning experience.

Okla-homey
12/15/2009, 11:35 PM
I'll never forget his $29,000 Tax Returns when he was wearing Gucci Shoes and hauled around in Limos.

God have mercy on his soul.

Just an observation. Its generally understood that pentecostal preachers must appear prosperous. Their congregations expect it. Those preachers who have big churches or "TV ministries" tend to wear flashy duds, drive fancy cars and live in big houses. It has to do with their theology that includes the notion that if a person is living right and giving very generously to his church, he will be materially blessed. Ergo, if a pentecostal preacher appears threadbare and flashless, he's obviously not making the Lord happy.

IMHO, Oral made an awful lot of money based on that notion. It was ultimately his son Richard's downfall because he couldn't distinguish what his and what was rightfully ORU's.

I'm happy ORU survived Richard and is on track to be debt-free and spiffed up after years of neglect from serving as Richard's personal slush fund.

JohnnyMack
12/15/2009, 11:50 PM
Just an observation. Its generally understood that pentecostal preachers must appear prosperous. Their congregations expect it. Those preachers who have big churches or "TV ministries" tend to wear flashy duds, drive fancy cars and live in big houses. It has to do with their theology that includes the notion that if a person is living right and giving very generously to his church, he will be materially blessed. Ergo, if a pentecostal preacher appears threadbare and flashless, he's obviously not making the Lord happy.

IMHO, Oral made an awful lot of money based on that notion. It was ultimately his son Richard's downfall because he couldn't distinguish what his and what was rightfully ORU's.

I'm happy ORU survived Richard and is on track to be debt-free and spiffed up after years of neglect from serving as Richard's personal slush fund.

Another reason I'd rather be a Buddhist.

picasso
12/16/2009, 12:28 AM

Hells yeah. That's easy.

Turd_Ferguson
12/16/2009, 12:46 AM
I pray for all of you nay sayers.

btk108
12/16/2009, 12:48 AM
My grandmother who had very little sent every spare penny she had to him..hope he spent it well.

SicEmBaylor
12/16/2009, 01:11 AM
ORU sort of scared the bejesus out of me.

That place is way the hell too conservative for me.

yermom
12/16/2009, 01:41 AM
ORU sort of scared the bejesus out of me.

That place is way the hell too conservative for me.

:eek:

:D

Okla-homey
12/16/2009, 07:46 AM

There is a lot more to Christianity than the sect commonly referred to as pentecostalism.

StoopTroup
12/16/2009, 07:49 AM
Another observation would have been watching a kid with a birth defect in a wheel chair get passed by because it wouldn't look good. This happens to be my problem with Oral. You can't live a flashy and prosperous life if you have a birth defect so we're gonna ignore him...push him to the back and bring up someone with a bad back that says she hasn't been able to walk due to her debilitating condition. Praise the Lord! She's cured...pass the collection plate! Shows over. Praise the Lord.

Yeah. I guess I'm wrong. He did some good with bad backs.

God did step in and save the University. I was concerned with what might happen with the University after Oral was unable to keep things rolling and Richard and his vision didn't help for sure. I wish everyone at The University who has continued to believe in true miracles all the best in continuing to live Christian lives and help continue to educate people. I know and respect quite a few folks who have gotten their education there and gone on to make this World a better place by not taking from it but adding to it. God Bless them all.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2009, 10:14 AM

Thats a big generalization there, So I 'll jump in with what little I know.

Oral Roberts and others of his kind came out of Pentacostal churches that felt like being poor was being godly....That God didn't want people to have money..These Pentacostal churches also believed that God was "unpredictable" and he would heal some but let the majority of people be sick and die...and if you were healed, you were one of the lucky ones.

A dude named EW Kenyon wrote some books in the late 1800s/early 1900s that these kind of things(blessings, healings,prosperity) weren't by chance, accident, or when God felt like it, but actual promises/covenants that God made with man in the Bible. Whats interesting is that Oral Roberts professors later on refuted this guy's writings.

Anyway, People like Oral Roberts and others from that time went 180 degrees from what they had been involved with in Pentacostal settings and traveled saying that God would heal period. Truthfully, many Pentacostals couldn't stand Oral Roberts because of his outrageous claims, according to them. Oral's personal story of healing is quite interesting, and according to him, is what set off his healing ministry.

What you are referring to in the "Prosperity" preachers is a different movement called Word of Faith which is more Non-denominational Charismatic.

There are some of the same teachings in both circles, but Pentacostals are probably the biggest opponent to this movement as it goes against a lot of their fundamental beliefs..not all Pentacostals but the majority. Looking at the major writings refuting prosperity preaching, almost all of them have come from Pentacostal leaders(D.R. McConnell of Oral Roberts University,Pentecostal scholar Gordon Fee,Dale H. Simmons).

Most mainline Pentacostal denominations(Assembly of God, etc.) have actually taken official stands against that type of teaching, but Oral is considered more of a "faith healer" than a prosperity preacher to them.

Sorry for the long post..I just know a lot of Pentacostals would cringe at you lumping them in with that movement.

Crimsontothecore
12/16/2009, 10:52 AM
One thing that always puzzled me was that Oral Roberts built that amazing hospital but would always fly to another state if he needed to be hospitalized or treated. What did he know about Tulsa hospitals that we didn't?

TheHumanAlphabet
12/16/2009, 10:58 AM
Jesus finally called him home...

A considerable time after the first threatened call home...

Jello Biafra
12/16/2009, 11:06 AM
Jesus finally called him home...

A considerable time after the first threatened call home...

and this ^^^ is what led me to thinking to myself "again? i didnt know he was still alive"

i know. im packing for hell right now.

sooneron
12/16/2009, 11:07 AM
I had no idea he was still alive. When I heard about all the $ issues with the son, I figured he was gone.

the_ouskull
12/16/2009, 11:14 AM
He founded a wonderful school that my brother and wife and many friends have graduated from.

Where's your school at bitches?

Norman, Oklahoma.

the_ouskull

OKLA21FAN
12/16/2009, 11:24 AM

sooooo, they are not fat. congrats! :pop:

JohnnyMack
12/16/2009, 11:30 AM
My friend who works for TPD was out on patrol a few weeks ago. He went up to the park at Turkey Mountain at night and saw a lone car. So he rolled up on it. The windows are all steamed up so he taps on the glass and proceeds to freak out the two ORU students (she an 18 yr old frosh and he a senior) who are playing hide the hot dog.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/16/2009, 12:49 PM
mmm...steamy car windows...;)

Crimsontothecore
12/16/2009, 01:46 PM
Or if olevet is reading this......mmmmm, steamy carriage windows...;)

ADs_Agent
12/16/2009, 02:15 PM

I go to a United Pentecostal church and nothing is further from the truth on that. We are expected to be good stewards of our money. I don't any pastors who carry a license in the UPCI that are flashy or gaudy like that, but I'm sure there are some as exist in sect of Christianity.

OKLA21FAN
12/16/2009, 02:17 PM
My friend who works for TPD was out on patrol a few weeks ago. He went up to the park at Turkey Mountain at night and saw a lone car. So he rolled up on it. The windows are all steamed up so he taps on the glass and proceeds to freak out the two ORU students (she an 18 yr old frosh and he a senior) who are playing hide the hot dog.

I'll call BS on this story simply because of the gender of the two perps. Everyone knows that Turkey mountain is a single gender venue. :pop: