PDA

View Full Version : Microwave popcorn unsafe? God help me

Chuck Bao
12/15/2009, 03:32 PM
There is nothing in the world I love more than hot popcorn with a lot of black and red pepper sprinkled on top.

Yeah, microwave popcorn is expensive, but I always thought it was healthier than making popcorn on the stove with a little vegetable oil. I learned how to do that 40 years ago when my grandfather would make popcorn before playing dominoes with his three grandchildren and that is one of my favorite childhood memories.

In university, I had one of those hot air popcorn popper things. I lived through university because I could concentrate a little longer while munching on popcorn.

When I moved to Asia, I was still doing the stove top popcorn for many years because microwave popcorn hadn’t made its way here yet. But, when I would return home, my dad was always telling my mom: “woman, make me some popcorn.” My mom was like “okay” and would put this paper bag in the microwave and everyone was happy.

Asia got microwaves and microwave popcorn and although I didn’t have “woman, make me some popcorn” option, I learned how to put the package in the microwave.

Life wasn’t the same afterwards. Now, I find out that the alternative butter was actually toxic. This isn’t a political thread or one about corporate greed, but gee… Can you just imagine that some suit deciding that the extra stocks would be shipped overseas?

Somebody elsewhere mentioned that you can very easily have microwave popcorn by putting regular popcorn in a paper bag in the microwave. Is that true? Even if it is, Asia retailers do not offer a paper bag option and I don’t think a plastic bag would work.

Damn, I miss my hot air blower popcorn machine that got me through my university studies.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/12/study-finds-popcorn-butter-alternatives-also-toxic.php?campaign=th_rss_food

Just a few short years ago, famed popcorn label Orville Redenbacher said it would eliminate all diacetyl (the chemical in alternative butter that is linked with health problems in many workers, possibly a few deaths and destroying the lungs of popcorn addicts) from popcorn. Soon popcorn makers everywhere followed suit, removing diacetyl and replacing it with newer, safer butter alternatives. Turns out now those alternatives are really just another form of diacetyl and this time even the lawyers are agreeing, reports Sphere News.

The diacetyl alternatives, release diacetyl when they are heated or in the presence of water. Next, the diacetyl alternatives are considered a "natural material" which is great for all of those green marketing campaigns advertising popcorn with "newer, safer butter alternatives." A lawyer for the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association says he has encouraged manufacturers to not state that their products are diacetyl-free or to even use these alternatives, but without government regulation to back this up, these are merely suggestions. At this time, the Obama Administration is looking into it but has said they don't plan any results or decisions for another year. Manufacturers won't talk specifics on what they use for butter alternatives because competition in the popcorn market is fierce.

Workers exposed to diacetyl often come down with bronchiolitis obliterans, which destroys the small airways in the lungs. The only solution when a worker contracts it: a single or double lung bypass. Current Labor Secretary Hilda Solis says that this is inexcusable particularly because it is preventable. The Labor Department has new plans for worker health and safety, and specifically mentions eliminating diacetyl but those plans are still under review. In the meantime, maybe homemade popcorn with your own topping is best. :Sphere News

NormanPride
12/15/2009, 05:54 PM
How much popcorn do you have to inhale to be in danger?

Veritas
12/15/2009, 06:14 PM
A ridiculous level. You are in zero danger.

"Workers exposed to diacetyl often come down with bronchiolitis obliterans"

What a bull**** sentence. By "often" they mean "in extremely rare and edge cases where workers already suffered from pre-existing conditions that weakened their pulmonary systems."

This isn't a case of suits having a product that is dangerous to consumers selling it anyway. It's a case of a few edge cases hiring attorneys who hired researches to find a correlation. And since juries are too dumb to grasp the difference between correlation and causation, there were a couple of multi-million dollar verdicts awarded and the industry spent many millions more replacing diacetyl.

Chuck Bao
12/15/2009, 06:24 PM

Are you asking me? If not well yeah, how much?

It is not like I eat popcorn breakfast, lunch and dinner each day. Not really. I don't even like butter on my popcorn. Black and red pepper works better for me.

We just get a lot of that "extra buttered flavored" microwave popcorn. And for the regular popcorn, it only half pops and I'm willing to go with that as long as someone scientifically proves that regular popcorn in a regular paper bag works.

Chuck Bao
12/15/2009, 06:27 PM
A ridiculous level. You are in zero danger.

"Workers exposed to diacetyl often come down with bronchiolitis obliterans"

What a bull**** sentence. By "often" they mean "in extremely rare and edge cases where workers already suffered from pre-existing conditions that weakened their pulmonary systems."

This isn't a case of suits having a product that is dangerous to consumers selling it anyway. It's a case of a few edge cases hiring attorneys who hired researches to find a correlation. And since juries are too dumb to grasp the difference between correlation and causation, there were a couple of multi-million dollar verdicts awarded and the industry spent many millions more replacing diacetyl.

You've made me feel a whole lot better. God blsss you.

NormanPride
12/15/2009, 07:08 PM
I'm glad workers at least have that recourse against their employers, even if it is abused every once in awhile.

C&CDean
12/16/2009, 10:37 AM
I have probably only eaten microwave popcorn a dozen or so times in my life.

What you need to do is buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-6-Quart-Electric-Popcorn/dp/B00004RC6R

Then order some of this: http://www.kandkpopcorn.com/

You will be amazed. And no, it's not one of those cheesy air poppers. This one does it just like the old days, only faster, cleaner, and very few old maids. And the K&K corn doesn't have hulls to stick in your teeth.

soonerbrat
12/16/2009, 10:58 AM
when my best friend was in residency, she had to stay in an on call room about once or twice a week...there was a small kitchen, microwave, bedroom and cable tv...that's it. There was a huge sign in the kitchen above the microwave saying that microwave popcorn was not allowed because one of the other residents was allergic to it being in the air, so even when they weren't there, microwave popcorn was not allowed. I always thought that was hokey.