PDA

View Full Version : The Dentist

OUMallen
12/15/2009, 01:43 PM
I just got back. The left side of my face and mouth are numb and will be for hours. Although everything was relatively painless (compared to what it must have used to be like...yikes)...I think I feel a little like a date rape victim. Just violated. It's such an unnatural thing to allow someone to do to you.

Anyone Have any good dentist stories?

StoopTroup
12/15/2009, 01:48 PM
Xanax, Gas and the shots made me forget the blocks my Dentists used to keep my mouth open when I had my Root canal.

Even though it was painless that day....it wasn't real terrific the next two days.

Brush and floss people...brush and floss....

OhU1
12/15/2009, 02:41 PM
Had an upper back row filling repaired about a month ago. Basically they have you upside down with a thing to keep your mouth open and a gal squirting water into your mouth while the dentist drills. You cannot swallow but feel an overwhelming need to do so.

The inability to swallow, take in air through your mouth, or talk led me a panic reaction. I knew I was not being rational but I couldn’t help being a “George Constanza” and imagining that I was suffocating and could not breath! My heart rate went up and I felt like I was being water boarded. I got the dentists attention and he let me sit up, swallow, and breath. Otherwise I was going to have to push him out of the way.

I focused on relaxing after that and got through it. A little gas would have done wonders for me on this particular procedure.

proud gonzo
12/15/2009, 02:44 PM
My dentist's awesome!

C&CDean
12/15/2009, 02:54 PM
Do you know a hell of a lot more people are freaked out by the dentist than by spiders? A LOT more people. Fear of the dentist = semi-rational. Fear of the arachnid = irrational.

That is your public service announcement for today kids.

Jello Biafra
12/15/2009, 02:58 PM
And in the Army, the dentist came in the room to take out a wisdom tooth with a chisel and wooden mallet.

i still have holes in my mouth from this...

was introduced to lortab after this and spent three weeks in bed. the upside was i didnt have to work on the tanks for 3 weeks, the down side was i spent a majority of my 20th birthday in the chair and then decided i wasnt smart enough to quit dipping snuff. dry socket is tha bomb!

C&CDean
12/15/2009, 03:02 PM
When I was a kid, beer breath breathing Doc Lewis filled cavities with no novacaine, no lolipops and you liked it!
And in the Army, the dentist came in the room to take out a wisdom tooth with a chisel and wooden mallet.

Heh. When I went in for my annual check up the dentist goes "we need to pull all your wisdom teeth, two molars, and a bicuspid" or some other toof.

I avoided the dentist for 3 years until I had to go see him for my ETS physical. Different dentist, but now this guy wanted to still do the wisdom teeth, only he wanted to pull about 5 other teeth too. I falsified the signature on the ETS form and didn't go back.

When I got out, I went home to my family dentist (good ol' Doc McIntosh who was queer as a 3-dollar bill but nobody knew it) and he did the whole check up and follow up on the Army's dime. I had 2-wisdom teeth pulled (with pliers and ****, not the hammer and chisel like my pop), and a single filling. That was it. My teef were good.

Fraggle145
12/15/2009, 03:13 PM
Anyone know a good dentist in Nompton that takes OU's dental insurance?

Fraggle145
12/15/2009, 03:14 PM
I just got back. The left side of my face and mouth are numb and will be for hours. Although everything was relatively painless (compared to what it must have used to be like...yikes)...I think I feel a little like a date rape victim. Just violated. It's such an unnatural thing to allow someone to do to you.

Anyone Have any good dentist stories?

Ya I broke my front teeth 5 times. Sucked *** every time.

Pogue Mahone
12/15/2009, 03:19 PM
My Albuquerque endodontist sounded so much like Woody Allen that I giggled through an entire root canal, which was light on the painkillers.

My current dentist, a Husker, spends half of the appointment talking football and gives me discounts because I know about Runzas and I.M. Hipp.

Seinfeld: You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist don't you?
Morty: Um...
Seinfeld: Newer magazines.

OUMallen
12/15/2009, 03:24 PM
Had an upper back row filling repaired about a month ago. Basically they have you upside down with a thing to keep your mouth open and a gal squirting water into your mouth while the dentist drills. You cannot swallow but feel an overwhelming need to do so.

The inability to swallow, take in air through your mouth, or talk led me a panic reaction. I knew I was not being rational but I couldn’t help being a “George Constanza” and imagining that I was suffocating and could not breath! My heart rate went up and I felt like I was being water boarded. I got the dentists attention and he let me sit up, swallow, and breath. Otherwise I was going to have to push him out of the way.

I focused on relaxing after that and got through it. A little gas would have done wonders for me on this particular procedure.

That's the worst part. It's not the pain, which is very minimal, if any. It's the "can I swallow?" thing.

HAHAHAHAHA. Can I swallow. I'm not even going to edit that.

1890MilesToNorman
12/15/2009, 03:30 PM
Find a dentist with the new technologies? Lasers and stuff.

C&CDean
12/15/2009, 03:32 PM
Oh yeah, another sortal-kinda dentist story.

A co-worker of mine is deathly afraid of the dentist. We're talking "I ain't ****ing going - period."

About a year or so ago I had finally had it with this dude's breath. We were in meetings all the time, and we travelled some together, and I couldn't be within 10 feet of the guy cause his breath smelled like a cross between anal leakage, mold, and some other dark cheese product. Y'all know that smell when somebody with the bad teeth comes walking up and it smells like there's a direct path from his bowel to his breath?

Anyhow, one day I kinda snapped and go "dude, your breath stinks. We're not talking garlic/onion kinda stink, we're talking death stink." He goes "yeah, my wife tells me that all the time." I say "go to the ****ing dentist dude." He goes "hell no, those butchers ain't touching me. I've got this mental thing and I ain't going."

About a week or two later he doesn't show up for work. His wife calls and says he's at the dentist. He doesn't show up for the whole week. When he comes back to work, he's still kinda swollen and says "this is why I don't go to the dentist the ****ing butchers." I call his wife and ask what happened. She said "he woke up bellering in agony cause one of his teeth were hurting him. He said to take him to the emergency room, but the doctor there said to take him to a dentist. So I convince him he has to go in to a dentist. We get there, and the dentist took one look inside his mouth and said "this is gonna take a while." Anyhow, long story short the dentist had to knock him out to even look at his teeth. Not gas, knock him smooth out. Then he sent him to a oral surgeon dude who had to knock him out again, and he laid all his gums wide open clean to the bone. He was full of infection under the gum line. The funny thing is he only needed one filling. The dentist goes "the guy has great teeth. Guess he inherited some great choppers."

So, the moral to this story is go get your mouth checked out and cleaned every 6 months. Brush and flosh. And don't succumb to irrational fears.

Oh yeah, the dude doesn't stink anymore so it was a win-win all the way around.

OUHOMER
12/15/2009, 06:21 PM
you guys don't even want to hear my story:mad:

Breadburner
12/15/2009, 07:13 PM
Mine could not understand why I did not want my whole tounge numb at once....We argued for awhile but I finally said **** it go for it.....

royalfan5
12/15/2009, 07:16 PM
My current dentist, a Husker, spends half of the appointment talking football and gives me discounts because I know about Runzas and I.M. Hipp.

That is much better than mine who love Da U, and has a cane helmet prominently displayed in dental chair area.

OUMallen
12/15/2009, 07:28 PM
you guys don't even want to hear my story:mad:

I do now!

yermom
12/15/2009, 07:58 PM

i think mine was Kyle Leisher

yermom
12/15/2009, 07:59 PM
Do you know a hell of a lot more people are freaked out by the dentist than by spiders? A LOT more people. Fear of the dentist = semi-rational. Fear of the arachnid = irrational.

That is your public service announcement for today kids.

enjoy your neg :D

root canals get a bad rap. just hope you never need one...

dry sockets on the other hand. ugh.

49r
12/15/2009, 08:47 PM
That is much better than mine who love Da U, and has a cane helmet prominently displayed in dental chair area.

Can he get you a discount on some sweet gold frontz if you chat with him about Warren Sapp for a few minutes?

SunnySooner
12/15/2009, 10:10 PM
My dentist is a Gator fan, surprise. But he's nice and generous with the gas and drugs, so we get along. My boy's getting braces in February. So much for that saving-for-retirement thing.:mad:

AlbqSooner
12/16/2009, 07:36 AM
Had my wisdom teeth extracted several years ago. Because they knocked me out to do it, Mom drove me there and back. After the procedure they loaded me into the passenger seat, fixed my seat belt in place and Mom got in to drive me home.

I was slumping in the seat with my guaze stuffed mouth- my head hanging down and to the left. About that time this little old lady shuffles quickly toward the car saying, "Young Man, young man, do you know anything about how to get my car started?"

I jerked my head up and to the right to see what the noise was. As I did, I slung slobbery blood all over my shoulder and the car door and sat there looking at her through very glassy eyes. Poor woman almost fell over backing away from the car with her wide eyes and open mouth. Mom calmly backed out and drove me home as the old woman just stood there.

soonerbrat
12/16/2009, 11:06 AM
A few years ago I had all my silver fillings replaced with tooth-colored fillings...I hadn't had a filling since I was a little kid, so they were pretty old and needed to be replaced, plus they looked better. The dentist that did the replacing didn't fill one of them completely, so it got a cavity underneath it. last winter, I went to a new dentist and she fixed that filling, but it was so deep, she almost had to do a root canal...it took about 2 hours to get it completely finished. The next day I saw her at the OU/OSU game at the big xii tournament at the ford center - with her girlfriend.

NTTAWWT

sooneron
12/16/2009, 11:09 AM

Dr Takano- awesome!

sooneron
12/16/2009, 11:12 AM
A few years ago I had all my silver fillings replaced with tooth-colored fillings...I hadn't had a filling since I was a little kid, so they were pretty old and needed to be replaced, plus they looked better. The dentist that did the replacing didn't fill one of them completely, so it got a cavity underneath it. last winter, I went to a new dentist and she fixed that filling, but it was so deep, she almost had to do a root canal...it took about 2 hours to get it completely finished. The next day I saw her at the OU/OSU game at the big xii tournament at the ford center - with her girlfriend.

NTTAWWT

:hot:

I Am Right
12/16/2009, 04:14 PM
Floss

OUMallen
12/16/2009, 04:49 PM
Floss

http://gobblegreen.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/floss.gif

OUHOMER
12/16/2009, 05:56 PM
http://gobblegreen.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/floss.gif

I did not floss today:cool:

royalfan5
12/16/2009, 05:59 PM
Can he get you a discount on some sweet gold frontz if you chat with him about Warren Sapp for a few minutes?

Maybe.

fadada1
12/16/2009, 10:01 PM
my dad is my dentist... yes, he actually IS a dentist. i tell you, there's nothing better than being able to cuss at your dentist - he just laughs at me. at the same time, there is nothing better than being totally relaxed in a dentist chair. i feel for you folks that are stressed about going to see the tooth-ripper-outer. no need to be really.

if you're in the Norman/OKC area, PM me and i can give you a couple names of dentists that i'm friends with and are good guys.