PDA

View Full Version : AD v Chris Johnson

rawlingsHOH
12/14/2009, 05:28 PM
I've just been amazed at the season CJ is having. One of the best ever. AD is having a very good, but not spectacular season, for his standards. A little surprising as I thought the Favre addition would help open things up for him.

I did a little analysis, courtesy of ESPN splits...

On 1st and 10, they are virtually identical players....
Chris Johnson: 136 carries, 687 yards, 5.1 average, 52 long, 3 td, 15 catches, 154 yards
Adrian Peterson: 135 carries, 702 yards, 5.2 average, 64 long 3 td, 20 catches, 183 yards

The difference can be found on 3rd downs. It's amazing....
Chris Johnson: 32 carries, 392 yards, 12.3 average, 91 long, 5 td, 12 catches, 112 yards
Adrian Peterson: 23 carries, 87 yards, 3.8 average, 16 long, 3 td, 4 catches, 36 yards

Something else intersting on Chris Johnson....
Shotgun: 26 carries, 357 yards, 13.7 average
I-Formation 75 carries, 260 yards, 3.5 average

I was surprised that Johnson had more 3rd down carries than Peterson, because of all of Peterson's short yardage and goalline work. Though I guess Chester being on the field quite a bit, can explain that. Take away CJ's 91-yard run and he's still 10 yards a pop.

NormanPride
12/14/2009, 05:50 PM
He's having an amazing year, and it just goes to show that the Minnesota offense just isn't designed to get great stats or score tons of points. It's supposed to control the game and be consistent.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/14/2009, 06:04 PM
He's having an amazing year, and it just goes to show that the Minnesota offense just isn't designed to get great stats or score tons of points. It's supposed to control the game and be consistent.

i've watched the two of them quite a bit this year - the major differences that stand out to me:

1. johnson is a much more patient runner than peterson, he waits forever to take cuts and tends to turn 2 yard runs into 5 yard runs.

2. peterson has missed some reads in the open field that he normally makes. whereas last year, they would be 50 yard runs, this year they are 10 yard runs.

3. peterson tends to get tentative after a fumble.

NormanPride
12/14/2009, 06:19 PM
Defenses also have to worry about Young running at least a bit. Favre not so much.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2009, 06:25 PM
Johnson is in a zone, no doubt about that.

I wish AD would get more 3rd down touches - run and pass.

I don't think the Vikes O-line is run blocking as well as last season and AD is not as sharp as last season either. I don't think the Vikes have fully integrated the new passing capability w/o damage to their run game. Still, better overall than last year, but I think they have more potential than they are showing right now.

Sooner04
12/14/2009, 06:43 PM
I wish AD would get more 3rd down touches - run and pass.
Right now Taylor is better in those situations than Peterson. Taylor is really good in the screen game because he's more patient and really sells the blocks.

sooner94
12/14/2009, 07:28 PM
Rawlings- great stuff. You should be in the Monday Night Booth next to Chuckie.

Amazing that CJ has so many long runs on 3rd down. I wonder how many of those 10+ yard runs are on 3 and 15+ when the D backs off. Also, he has several 70 plus yard runs, so if a couple of those happened on 3rd down, that explains the difference.

With AD, I have noticed he hasn't broken the long runs this season like he has in the past. Is it because the WR's are catching a lot more passes and not focusing on the blocking as much?

Jmorales22
12/14/2009, 10:33 PM
Peterson set such a huge standard since he burst onto the scene, it's kind of hard to always live up to that. Chris Johnson will probably go through the same....

sooner518
12/14/2009, 11:03 PM
Johnson is impressive to watch for sure.

This year, it seems that AD is getting hit in the backfield on every single play. i dont know if thats just my imagination or what, but it sure seems that way

KingWKB
12/15/2009, 12:09 AM
Chris Johnson is on my fantasy team (3rd round pick); therefore, I love him.

sooneron
12/15/2009, 09:49 AM
I don't think the Vikes O-line is run blocking as well as last season...

^This. The Vikes have had to deal with injuries on the OL.

ouleaf
12/15/2009, 11:05 AM
Johnson is definitely a 3 down back this year. Last year the Titans went to Lendale White much more often, especially in goal line situations. This year I'd be surprised if White has much more than 50 total carries. So Johnson is definitely getting more snaps than AD.

I think AD has opened things up more for Favre as evidenced by the year he is having as a passer. Is he still leading the NFL in passer rating? If not, it's near the top. He has simply been able to sit back in the pocket and hit his WRs and TE without taken a lot of hits. Also, AD has improved somewhat in the passing game as well. Granted, he is getting mostly check down stuff, but he has turned some of those into some nice gains.

I'd like to see the Vikings get their FB in the game more and run some 21 or 22 packages and really committ to run blocking. It seems like the Vikings like to run out in an 11 package with just AD as a single back, Shiancoe, and their 3 WR's. I think AD would benefit more from having that lead blocker to pick up anyone that misses their guy, or take on an outside LB or safety that is down in the box. I do think they Vikings need to re-examine their run blocking before the beginning of next season b/c it has fallen off a bit from last year.

AD is having a solid all-around season though and the Vikings are in good shape to earn a 1st round bye in the playoffs. So kudos to him for that.

rawlingsHOH
12/15/2009, 11:21 AM
I'd like to see the Vikings get their FB in the game more and run some 21 or 22 packages and really committ to run blocking. It seems like the Vikings like to run out in an 11 package with just AD as a single back, Shiancoe, and their 3 WR's. I think AD would benefit more from having that lead blocker to pick up anyone that misses their guy, or take on an outside LB or safety that is down in the box. I do think they Vikings need to re-examine their run blocking before the beginning of next season b/c it has fallen off a bit from last year.

I-Formation: 102 carries, 458 yards, 4.5 avg, 8 td, 0 catches, 0 yards
Lone Setback: 120 carries, 570 yards, 4.8 avg, 1 td, 27 catches, 211 yards

The thing that stood out to me is 0 catches out of the I-formation. That is a strong tendency. Put something in for him.

Collier11
12/15/2009, 11:54 AM
Cant go wrong with either of them, no reason to make it a contest just cus AD is a Sooner

stoops the eternal pimp
12/15/2009, 12:10 PM
Great backs both obviously...I think both of them are fit for the offense their teams run...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/15/2009, 12:11 PM
If I had to pick one though, I would go with Johnson

rawlingsHOH
12/15/2009, 12:25 PM
If I had to pick one though, I would go with Johnson
My only concern with him is his body. He looks so skinny, can he last?

Of course, durability was the big question with Peterson as well. But more to do with his physical style.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/15/2009, 01:10 PM
Yes...I think Johnson has a better chance of having a long career because rarely does somebody get a good shot on him...