PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me Why I'm Wrong: III

Sooner04
12/14/2009, 01:30 PM
On the wall behind my computer at home hangs one of my proudest possessions. It's a degree, bachelor of arts in history, from the University of Oklahoma. Maybe it's because I'm technically a "historian", but there's a trend I notice every time I sit back and take a look at this or that. It's a weird trend, but it's consistent. It's this: when I'm asked who or what is better I always tend to side with what I saw or what I learned when I was younger.

If the conversation ever turns to OU linebackers, I'm always going to side with Bosworth. He didn't have 1/5th of the responsibilites of today's linebackers, but there's something about the guy mauling Todd Dodge play after play that's never left me.

If we're talking the great running backs to come through I always scoff at Peterson and mention Pruitt, Little Joe and Sims. I never even saw those three play, but I've seen enough film from old games to gloss over their drawbacks and proclaim their greatness to be superior to Peterson's EVEN THOUGH I saw every game Peterson ever played at Oklahoma.

If the conversation switches to coaches I'm worthless because I'd take a bullet for Switzer. I like Bob, and I think the world of what he's done here at OU, but I love Barry Switzer. Bob's never had an incident like Barry had with Lacewell. Bob never had the NCAA knocking down the doors of the football office. Bob never had running backs firing automatic weapons from the upper floors of the BUD or haircutting sessions that turned into Hagler/Hearns, but all of that, much like love, is irrelevant. I like Bob Stoops, but I love Barry Switzer.

Am I wrong in feeling this way? Is it human nature to romanticize the way things were when we were young and to sweat the small stuff of today? I'm always thinking of how things were and wishing they were still this way. But it doesn't just apply to OU football. It applies to tons of things throughout the world.

I still think these NFL logos should be in play:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/KingpinPadre/461.gif http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/KingpinPadre/581.gif

I still think this should be the theme song for each and every NBA game even though NBC lost the TV contract.

NBA on NBC! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AQ3IAriL0k)

I spent $400 a couple of months ago on two Beatles box sets and a Beatles book. They haven't recorded together in 40 years!

I want TopDawg back and I want him back now.

I hear the name Marcus Dupree and it makes me weep for the talent lost. We've never had a player on campus more talented.

Even though there are loads of examples as to why it doesn't work anymore, I still yearn for the cold-blooded efficiency of the Wishbone.

I think basketball should still be played like they played it in the 80s. To hell with selling out on defense. Score, rebound and score some more.

1989: OU vs. Missouri (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RpaP5qD3OI)

I don't think my sickness is because of romanticizing. I think it's legitimate: I think things used to be better. I think the Wishbone ruled in college football while the run-n-gun made us drool in college basketball. I'll take Sims over Peterson, Jamelle over Josh and Switzer over Stoops. I'll take the early days when crowds were rowdier, coverage was cooler and the moment was bigger.

Is it better today? I don't think so. So, tell me why I'm wrong.

StoopTroup
12/14/2009, 01:39 PM
It's just different. If it was the same...the old stories and players wouldn't seem so great.

It's Tradition that makes it all great. Bob is still building that Tradition. Twenty years from now our kids will be writing what you just wrote and the names Peterson, Williams, Harris, Q, White, Calmus and Bradford...just to name a few...will be in the place of the ones you mentioned is my guess.

You're gonna be OK.

Go watch the videos of those 5 RRSO we won in a row and I think you'll feel better then.

Chin up 04!

BOOMER SOONER!

Blues1
Too Bad you never had a chance to experience OUr 47 Game Win Streak ~~~ :)

I had the Pleasure to be in the Stadium in Columbia,MO to see "The Last Victory" of that 47 game Streak -- OU 39 - Mizzou 14 - On National TV The Next Saturday was pure hell for all Sooners.... :(

But We Keep on Rockin' ~~ :)

OKLA21FAN
'good ole days syndrome'

I have it too :pop:

sooneredaco
12/14/2009, 01:40 PM
Nostalgia

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostalgia?wasRedirected=true

yea I agree with much of what you said, but living in the today is also pretty great. Today we have Sammy! I don't know that there has ever been another player quite like Bradford. I'm sure if we wanted to take the time we could find a bunch of present day examples of some pretty amazing athletes. LeBron, not really good timing for this, but Tiger etc.... just a thought

OUDoc
12/14/2009, 01:46 PM
Looking at that video, why are the logos on center court going from non-existent to gigantic?

StoopTroup
12/14/2009, 01:51 PM
There are always great moments to remember. :D

YglrzDO2etA

SoonerLB
12/14/2009, 01:52 PM
I hear the name Marcus Dupree and it makes me weep for the talent lost. We've never had a player on campus more talented.

I hear ya on this one! I hope every year for talent like that, and to have it work out to be on the field for four years!

StoopTroup
12/14/2009, 01:57 PM
If any of you ever shook hands with Tommie Harris...

I have to tell you...Tommie and Q were headed into the Dorm when we asked them to sign an autograph.

Q was awesome but I think it was just sinking in for Tommie as to just how freaking awesome a player he is. He graciously signed an autograph for me and I thanked him and stuck my hand out. He shook my hand and I tell ya...I'm glad he was a Sooner, just incredible how strong he must be. Dude was one of the best to ever play at OU.

TUSooner
12/14/2009, 01:59 PM
I cannot!
I go back a wee tad bit farther, and I concede I am romanticizing, and I don't apologize for it. Admiration of the past, or fascination with it, is only a problem if you expect it to return.

To digress: I am listening to Handel's Messiah right now and thinking -- no, knowing beyond a shadow of doubt -- that it kicks the snot out of any religious music of the past hundred years at least, especially some of that vapid "God you're so yummy!" pop **** that one hears in "contemporary" worship these days. But I know that's just my opinion.

StoopTroup
12/14/2009, 02:01 PM
I cannot!
I go back a wee tad bit farther, and I concede I am romanticizing, and I don't apologize for it. Admiration of the past, or fascination with it, is only a problem if you expect it to return.

To digress: I am listening to Handel's Messiah right now and thinking -- no, knowing beyond a shadow of doubt -- that it kicks the snot out of any religious music of the past hundred years at least, especially some of that vapid "God you're so yummy!" pop **** that one hears in "contemporary" worship these days. But I know that's just my opinion.

Bocelli's Ave Maria is on my IPOD.

I think Andre is da bomb.

I'll have to find the one you're talking about. Thanks TUS.

rawlingsHOH
12/14/2009, 02:01 PM
Am I wrong in feeling this way? Is it human nature to romanticize the way things were when we were young and to sweat the small stuff of today? I'm always thinking of how things were and wishing they were still this way. But it doesn't just apply to OU football. It applies to tons of things throughout the world.

Yes, that is very normal. Everything was "better" back in the day.

And on a sidenote relating to OU football... it is funny to see how players who have championships associated with them are view by the common fan, compared to those who don't, even if said player only played a spare role in the title.

For example, people on this board will still argue Quentin Griffin is better than Adrian Peterson.

OUDoc
12/14/2009, 02:09 PM
BTW, Q sold me this autographed Joe Washington picture on Saturday.

http://www.museumofthegulfcoast.org/images/joe%20washington%20jr.jpg

Jdog
12/14/2009, 02:11 PM
True - but when I think LB it's Cumby. He had the Fumblerooski against Nebish but Irvin got in his way. Give me Billy's last performance in the same game over anybody best game.

StoopTroup
12/14/2009, 02:19 PM
Cumby was a good one too.

KantoSooner
12/14/2009, 02:22 PM
Bosworth was great, and is remembered, but without Casillas, his numbers would have been a lot more human. Switzer is the King, no doubt about it, but we tend to forget that when he was coaching, he got as much shiite as Bob and Bob's assts have ever gotten. Even when he left, I remember a lot of Sooner faithful openly saying that it was time and that it would reinvigorate the program.
My point in all this is that the past tends to be romanticized over time. I treasure my memories of the 70's and 80's. but, when I'm honest with myself, I'm pretty dam happy to be watching this generation. Give us 20 years and these ARE the good old days. (even this season will take on a gloss of heroic, last-ditch-stand, type mythology).
Now, let's get some linemen recruited, win a bowl game and start getting ready for 2010.

Mjcpr
12/14/2009, 02:22 PM
I would gladly pay $8 to the NFL if they would force Denver and Tennessee to go back to the uni's you mentioned above.

olevetonahill
12/14/2009, 02:25 PM
Most of us who have watched and Rooted for the Sooners for years , Realize That the Game is ever Changing , ever growing.

Today's Star is Tomorrows nostalgia.

Yer still young. It will change with you

StoopTroup
12/14/2009, 02:27 PM
My two Brothers and I went to the last game the Oilers played in the Astrodome. They played Sanders and the Lions and lost. I remember seeing a gal wearing a really nice Sweatshirt with the oil derek on it and it had Tennesee Traitors on it.

It was a sad day even though I wasn't a fan of either Team. My little Brother was living in Houston and we decided we should go be a part of history.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/14/2009, 02:38 PM
For example, people on this board will still argue Quentin Griffin is better than Adrian Peterson.

yes, and people will argue that emmitt smith was better than barry sanders. just because someone isn't on your side of the argument, doesn't make their argument any less valid.

badger
12/14/2009, 02:39 PM
It is easy to love the past when you're an OU fan.

However, in the name of progress, I think some changes have to be embraced.

One of my most favorite changes in sports is the drive to make sports safer.

But yes, I liked the old NBA on NBC song.

Sooner04
12/14/2009, 02:45 PM
Bosworth was great, and is remembered, but without Casillas, his numbers would have been a lot more human.
But Bosworth had 22 tackles against Miami in '86 with Casillas gone to the NFL!

It was Bosworth then, it's Bosworth now and it'll be Bosworth forever!

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2009, 02:46 PM
Last year's offense was future nostalgia. It was the passing equivalent to the '71 wishbone and unfortunately had the same ending (the '71 OU/NU game the de facto title game). Sam's name will always be known because of the statue, but only fans who watched the games will really understand how good the offense was that year.

rawlingsHOH
12/14/2009, 03:48 PM
yes, and people will argue that emmitt smith was better than barry sanders. just because someone isn't on your side of the argument, doesn't make their argument any less valid.
Sorry, but any argument saying Griffin is a better football player that Peterson becomes NOT valid.

Proves the inability to look at things objectively.

rawlingsHOH
12/14/2009, 03:50 PM

He was amazing and would have probably been an NFL pro-bowler, though had deficiencies in the passing game.

KantoSooner
12/14/2009, 03:55 PM
Boswoth, bless his heart, couldn't play in the 4-4 (I believe) when he went to Seattle. I wouldn't knock him for anything, my point was to say that we remember certain figures and not others who might not have had the profile and numbers....but were everybit as important to the team. Sort of supporting the assertion that the past is editted in memory.

But, if you want to love on the Boz, go right ahead. My favorites were his games against Tejas. He really hated them, told them so well in advance and then went out and kicked their azzes. Pure magic!

OklahomaTuba
12/14/2009, 04:03 PM
Wha? No love for the Captain???

http://antonazucar.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/h_schnellenberger.jpg

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2009, 04:07 PM
I always remember Rod Shoate when I think of LB. He gave meaning to the phrase "explosive hitter". I recall so many sweep plays where a RB would be following his blockers, and waiting for a hole to form in the mass of OL/DL locked up in front of him. Then this red blur would rocket into the line on the D side and the RB would rocket backwards out of the line wearing a Rod Shoate jacket. Rod did have the advantage of multiple Selmons in front of him, and boy did he take advantage. He also had a nice NFL career with the Patriots.

rawlingsHOH
12/14/2009, 04:07 PM
Boswoth, bless his heart, couldn't play in the 4-4 (I believe) when he went to Seattle. I wouldn't knock him for anything, my point was to say that we remember certain figures and not others who might not have had the profile and numbers....but were everybit as important to the team. Sort of supporting the assertion that the past is editted in memory.

But, if you want to love on the Boz, go right ahead. My favorites were his games against Tejas. He really hated them, told them so well in advance and then went out and kicked their azzes. Pure magic!

He played ILB for a 3-4 defense, at that time in Seattle. Has many of the same priciples as the "50" he played in at OU. I think they moved him from right to left, but that wasn't a factor.

rawlingsHOH
12/14/2009, 04:16 PM
The Bosworth bust phenomonom is just another over sensationalized ESPNism.

Sure he was absolutely a bust in the sense he only played about 2 seasons, due to injuries. But it had very little to do with his lack of ability in the pro game. Though if the Worldwide Leader runs the Bo Jackson highlight enough times, I guess, it becomes truth. In reality, more myth than substance.

Bosworth placed a huge bulls eye on himself. And when the injuries crippled him everyone got a good laugh.

But Andre Ware, he ain't.

The game tapes are out there. Go watch them and form an opinion for yourself!

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2009, 04:29 PM
The term "bust" is applied equally to injured players as well as players that did not meet expectations. I've never understood that. Bosworth was a decent pro player, but he had shoulder injuries that limited his play before ever taking his first NFL snap.

AlbqSooner
12/14/2009, 04:32 PM
Jerry "KO" Anderson. The reason he got that nickname was because in his senior year he had something like 7 knockout tackles. Oh yeah, 2 of them were when he hit so hard he knocked himself out.

KantoSooner
12/14/2009, 06:16 PM
He played ILB for a 3-4 defense, at that time in Seattle. Has many of the same priciples as the "50" he played in at OU. I think they moved him from right to left, but that wasn't a factor.

i stand corrected. he just never looked as comfortable in the pro-game as he had in college. frankly, once he got the guaranteed money, he didn't look like his heart was in it.

yermom
12/14/2009, 06:36 PM
Sorry, but any argument saying Griffin is a better football player that Peterson becomes NOT valid.

AD was more explosive, but Q was more versatile and more durable, at least while he was in Norman

how many TDs did AD score on Texas in one game? :D

TopDawg
12/14/2009, 06:46 PM

I don't post as much, but I'm still around.

I think basketball should still be played like they played it in the 80s. To hell with selling out on defense. Score, rebound and score some more.

Seeing King and Mookie in that video brought a tear to my eye.

TopDawg
12/14/2009, 06:48 PM

Holy **** dude. I just realized that video is part 1 of 10...complete with commercials.

There goes my evening.

TopDawg
12/14/2009, 06:52 PM
That was when King was playing with the broken finger. Every time I'd play Nerf basketball in the house or real bball out in the driveway, I'd wrap up my fingers too.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/14/2009, 07:12 PM

yet you are showing your own bias because determining "better" is a matter of personal weighting of different factors.

you toss peterson behind a sieve OL and he is going to suck. you toss Q behind a sieve OL and he is going ot be semi-effective because he could make people miss in the backfield.

1 attribute that apparently has little weight in your "objective" viewpoint

you toss peterson behind a great OL that can spring him past the first level and his other attributes start to weigh much more heavily than Qs, who didn't have top end speed.

once again, 1 attribute yet you weigh it much more heavily.

so objective is understanding that each player is going to "be a better football player" based on a certain set of variables.

TopDawg
12/14/2009, 07:17 PM
Part 3 of OU/Mizzou 1989 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US_H2udN6WQ)

It starts with one of the best college basketball moments ever. Tubbs' announcement to the crowd. But to really get a feel for how great that moment was, you have to watch Part 2 to be reminded of how it totally changed the game. Totally.

The bounce pass at the 7:45 mark is vintage. The offensive foul on the ensuing possession is awesome...imagine seeing that called these days. And then the commercial break starts out with a GREAT Busch commercial.

TUSooner
12/14/2009, 07:48 PM
I always remember Rod Shoate when I think of LB. He gave meaning to the phrase "explosive hitter". I recall so many sweep plays where a RB would be following his blockers, and waiting for a hole to form in the mass of OL/DL locked up in front of him. Then this red blur would rocket into the line on the D side and the RB would rocket backwards out of the line wearing a Rod Shoate jacket. Rod did have the advantage of multiple Selmons in front of him, and boy did he take advantage. He also had a nice NFL career with the Patriots.

Ahhhh, Roderick Shoate!! Along with Cumby, the Selmons and the (ancient) Derland Moore. These were a few of my Sooner "D" heroes, more than the Boz.

Sooner24
12/14/2009, 07:49 PM
Part 3 of OU/Mizzou 1989 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US_H2udN6WQ)

It starts with one of the best college basketball moments ever. Tubbs' announcement to the crowd. But to really get a feel for how great that moment was, you have to watch Part 2 to be reminded of how it totally changed the game. Totally.

The bounce pass at the 7:45 mark is vintage. The offensive foul on the ensuing possession is awesome...imagine seeing that called these days. And then the commercial break starts out with a GREAT Busch commercial.

I just saw Jim Bain on there. Him and Norm Stewart were close personal friends. I used to cringe when I saw he was doing one of our games. I was at this game and it was a classic.

OUinFLA
12/14/2009, 08:08 PM
I still remember players from the 47 Straight years. Even though I only heard the games on the radio, they are still some of my farorite names. McDonald, Thomas.....

One of the "old times" I miss the most is back when almost all games were played on Saturday afternoon. All the scores were announced on the PA, the crowd would cheer or jeer, but by Saturday evening, all the games were over. I guess most universities could not afford lights for their fields having a lot to do with that. But..........still, I miss those times. And, if you wanted to know how a distant game was played.......you bought the Sunday newspaper.

Thanks 04, I now feel older than I felt when I started reading this thread. :(

A Sooner in Texas
12/14/2009, 08:09 PM
For me, Sam will be the quintessential Heisman winner from OU, because his greatness was somewhat unexpected and because he won it over Crybow and Coltie. Mainly though because Sam is just an incredible human being and a shining light for OU.

And 04, I'm kinda with you on the Barry/Bob thing. Love 'em both, but Switzer always wears his emotions on his sleeves and takes you along for the ride. Never dull and always fun.

Side note to ST: Pavarotti > Bocelli. Just sayin'. :D

East Coast Bias
12/14/2009, 08:57 PM
I agree with the changing game theory. The athletes today are bigger, stronger and face tougher competition. Dick Butkus would not be big enough to play LB in the NFL today. I am old-school as well and remember all the great backs but I think Peterson is the real deal and stands tall in any group of backs you put together.

rawlingsHOH
12/14/2009, 09:02 PM
yet you are showing your own bias because determining "better" is a matter of personal weighting of different factors.

you toss peterson behind a sieve OL and he is going to suck. you toss Q behind a sieve OL and he is going ot be semi-effective because he could make people miss in the backfield.

1 attribute that apparently has little weight in your "objective" viewpoint

you toss peterson behind a great OL that can spring him past the first level and his other attributes start to weigh much more heavily than Qs, who didn't have top end speed.

once again, 1 attribute yet you weigh it much more heavily.

so objective is understanding that each player is going to "be a better football player" based on a certain set of variables.

Totally disagree, as Pete has been dodging guys in the backfield, this season, to the tune of 1200 yards thru 13 games, while Q is dodging guys playing as AD, on his PS3.

Jdog
12/14/2009, 09:49 PM
Last year's offense was future nostalgia. It was the passing equivalent to the '71 wishbone and unfortunately had the same ending (the '71 OU/NU game the de facto title game). Sam's name will always be known because of the statue, but only fans who watched the games will really understand how good the offense was that year.

great point

MyT Oklahoma
12/14/2009, 09:52 PM
I don't think that your wrong about how you feel and why you feel that way. However, times change and so does the game and so does Sooner football.

I wouldn't trade my OU memories for anything though and I'll be a wishbone fan and a Switzer fan until the day I die.

Jdog
12/14/2009, 10:05 PM
Ahhhh, Roderick Shoate!! Along with Cumby, the Selmons and the (ancient) Derland Moore. These were a few of my Sooner "D" heroes, more than the Boz.

I agree - and thats back in the day !!!

Here you go - Sugar Bear Hamilton, Hughes, Aycock, Pope

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/14/2009, 10:54 PM
Totally disagree, as Pete has been dodging guys in the backfield, this season, to the tune of 1200 yards thru 13 games, while Q is dodging guys playing as AD, on his PS3.

once again, you are using your criteria - pro performance - weighted more heavily than someone else using college performance.

bluedogok
12/14/2009, 11:01 PM
The Bosworth bust phenomonom is just another over sensationalized ESPNism.

Sure he was absolutely a bust in the sense he only played about 2 seasons, due to injuries. But it had very little to do with his lack of ability in the pro game. Though if the Worldwide Leader runs the Bo Jackson highlight enough times, I guess, it becomes truth. In reality, more myth than substance.

Bosworth placed a huge bulls eye on himself. And when the injuries crippled him everyone got a good laugh.

But Andre Ware, he ain't.

The game tapes are out there. Go watch them and form an opinion for yourself!
When you think about it, The Boz was the first time a college player pretty much actively marketed himself to the sports world. He was always a pretty shrewd business guy.

That era of OU basketball ruined me for what they call basketball nowadays. I grew up going to OCU games (my dad got free tickets often) with Abe Lemmons and they were always pretty much an uptempo team with him as coach. Coming into OU in the same class as Wayman and going to all those games where they were flying up and down the court scoring 100+ most night reinforced what I though basketball should be. What the game has become has lost me as a fan, I am just not interested in football on hardwood.

sooner n houston
12/15/2009, 08:08 AM

And before both of them was Daryl Hunt. Still OU's all time leading tackler, and my friend and co-worker. :D

olevetonahill
12/15/2009, 08:13 AM

God Bless Mrs. Selmon :cool:

Monster Zero
12/15/2009, 08:30 AM
On the wall behind my computer at home hangs one of my proudest possessions. It's a degree, bachelor of arts in history, from the University of Oklahoma. Maybe it's because I'm technically a "historian", but there's a trend I notice every time I sit back and take a look at this or that. It's a weird trend, but it's consistent. It's this: when I'm asked who or what is better I always tend to side with what I saw or what I learned when I was younger.

If the conversation ever turns to OU linebackers, I'm always going to side with Bosworth. He didn't have 1/5th of the responsibilites of today's linebackers, but there's something about the guy mauling Todd Dodge play after play that's never left me.

If we're talking the great running backs to come through I always scoff at Peterson and mention Pruitt, Little Joe and Sims. I never even saw those three play, but I've seen enough film from old games to gloss over their drawbacks and proclaim their greatness to be superior to Peterson's EVEN THOUGH I saw every game Peterson ever played at Oklahoma.

If the conversation switches to coaches I'm worthless because I'd take a bullet for Switzer. I like Bob, and I think the world of what he's done here at OU, but I love Barry Switzer. Bob's never had an incident like Barry had with Lacewell. Bob never had the NCAA knocking down the doors of the football office. Bob never had running backs firing automatic weapons from the upper floors of the BUD or haircutting sessions that turned into Hagler/Hearns, but all of that, much like love, is irrelevant. I like Bob Stoops, but I love Barry Switzer.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/KingpinPadre/461.gif http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/KingpinPadre/581.gif

I still think this should be the theme song for each and every NBA game even though NBC lost the TV contract.

I spent $400 a couple of months ago on two Beatles box sets and a Beatles book. They haven't recorded together in 40 years!

Even though there are loads of examples as to why it doesn't work anymore, I still yearn for the cold-blooded efficiency of the Wishbone.

I don't think my sickness is because of romanticizing. I think it's legitimate: I think things used to be better. I think the Wishbone ruled in college football while the run-n-gun made us drool in college basketball. I'll take Sims over Peterson, Jamelle over Josh and Switzer over Stoops. I'll take the early days when crowds were rowdier, coverage was cooler and the moment was bigger.

You're not wrong because there's not a right or wrong in this situation. It's just the way you see it. How can any of us compare Adrian, Billy and Joe, for example in any sort of qualitative way? We just all have our favorites. That's the cool thing about sports. Total emotional commitment with (hopefully) nothing important at risk.

Actually, you are very close to right on one thing for sure... the NFL logos. Throw the old NE Patriot center down ready to snap the ball in place of the goofy stylized one they use now and you're absolutely 100 per cent morally, intellectually, spiritually and genetically right as rain.

olevetonahill
12/15/2009, 08:44 AM
Yer 1st post made me think of this song , Enjoy Bro

Your still young , Thats your Fault :pop:

Q29YR5-t3gg

boomermagic
12/15/2009, 10:29 AM

I guess we all have our favorites but I'm not going to tell you your wrong because I feel the same way.. Barry IS the best.. Little Joe and Billy are THE best.. Dupree was the best to ever step on a field ANYWHERE PERIOD..

TopDawg
12/15/2009, 10:35 AM
You're not wrong because there's not a right or wrong in this situation. It's just the way you see it. How can any of us compare Adrian, Billy and Joe, for example in any sort of qualitative way? We just all have our favorites. That's the cool thing about sports. Total emotional commitment with (hopefully) nothing important at risk.

I've always thought that I would be a bigger fan of Heisman Runner-Up Park more than Heisman Park.

Heisman Park tenants: Vessels, Owens, Sims, White, Bradford

Heisman Runner-Up tenants: Burris (54), Pruitt (72), Sims (79), Heupel (00), Peterson (04).

Really at that point it's about even for me. But if you throw the 3rd place finishers into Heisman Runner-Up park, it's a no-brainer: McDonald (56), Pruitt (71), Washington (74), White (04).

Washington and Pruitt are two of my all-time faves. Adding Heupel and Peterson into the mix certainly doesn't hurt.

boomermagic
12/15/2009, 11:19 AM

Hey, Don't get me wrong I love the Boz but The Selmons had to be my favorite lineman followed closely by Kinlaw Granny Liggins and several more..
Ricky Bryan was good too.. I remember the year we had {The meat men} Luscious, D. Moore and Raymond {sugar bear}Hamilton..

jthomas666
12/15/2009, 11:23 AM
Even though there are loads of examples as to why it doesn't work anymore, I still yearn for the cold-blooded efficiency of the Wishbone.There is something sublime about a perfectly times option pitch.

I would pay serious money for Alabama to come out against Texas with Ingram, Richardson, and Upchurch in the wishbone. With Cody at tight end.

boomermagic
12/15/2009, 11:26 AM
There is something sublime about a perfectly times option pitch.

I would pay serious money for Alabama to come out against Texas with Ingram, Richardson, and Upchurch in the wishbone. With Cody at tight end.

The wishbone is by far my alltime favorite offense ever..

TopDawg
12/15/2009, 11:27 AM
There is something sublime about a perfectly times option pitch.

They throw the ball to Jones 3 times and he finishes with a stat line like this:

3 catches, 120 yards, 2 TD

KantoSooner
12/15/2009, 11:33 AM
The wishbone is by far my alltime favorite offense ever..

Indeed! And OU's mid '80's version was, at its best, simply merciless. I think it was one Colorado defender who commented after the game that he had spent the whole day watching OU's backs 'blinking their brake lights as crossed into the end zone."

King Barry's Back
12/15/2009, 09:42 PM
When you think about it, The Boz was the first time a college player pretty much actively marketed himself to the sports world. He was always a pretty shrewd business guy.

That era of OU basketball ruined me for what they call basketball nowadays. I grew up going to OCU games (my dad got free tickets often) with Abe Lemmons and they were always pretty much an uptempo team with him as coach. Coming into OU in the same class as Wayman and going to all those games where they were flying up and down the court scoring 100+ most night reinforced what I though basketball should be. What the game has become has lost me as a fan, I am just not interested in football on hardwood.

Best post I've read in a while. I too was at OU during the glorious Tisdale/Tubbs era, and I will tell you one thing -- damn, those games were fun! Kind of like watching a football spread offense, every game, week in and week out.

What I am saying is not nostalgia (I'll address that in my next post), it was just more fun to watch.

Not saying it was better in basketball terms, clearly the defense left something to be desired most nights, just saying it's the basketball that I enjoy to watch being played. "Football on Hardwood" is the right characterization. How bout "thugs on the march" for the NBA? meh.

King Barry's Back
12/15/2009, 09:54 PM
Nostalgia --

One thing I've noticied as i've gotten older -- there were things and people I idolized as a kid, but I don't have that capacity any longer. I am older, wiser and more mature, and I don't see things much as larger than life anymore. I see people struggling like I do.

For example, I remember walking on Owen Field after a game, when i was about 10 years old. I walked among some of the players leaving the field, just reserves really, but they towered above me. I was like knee high to them.

They wore red and white. They were on the field for another glorious Sooner victory.

They were who I wanted to be, but they were also outside of my world, in a way I could never reach, at least not until I grew up.

I look at today's players. They are much better trained and conditioned athletically, but I now just see young guys doing their best. I like them, and respect them, but I don't look up to them, or wish to be them. (I wish I was young, and a stud, and wearing crimson, but not in the same way.)

So disillusionment is part of it.

And, Gawd, did I love Barry Switzer.

At the same time, if Barry's successor had won as much as he did, Barry would be fondly remembered but never be considered the King, and his success would have been credited to the "program" -- like a coach doesn't build a program.

During Bob's run to the 2000 title -- watching how great he was with the press, all the PR aspects, the way he recruited and developed gentlemen and ball-busting players -- I remember saying "Damn, he's better, way better, than Switzer. Switzer never cared about the media, but in today's world, PR is a key assett and Stoops oozes it." (Paraphrase)

But here we are a decade later, and Bob is clearly no better than Switzer in any capacity (except for team discipline, I guess). And Barry NEVER turned in a five loss season.

But today's kids are going to love Bob the way I love Switzer, and they will sing his praises in the decades to follow.

But Bud Wilkinson is still the best coach OU ever had, and he was out of coaching before I was born.

TopDawg
12/16/2009, 12:03 AM
Nostalgia --

One thing I've noticied as i've gotten older -- there were things and people I idolized as a kid, but I don't have that capacity any longer. I am older, wiser and more mature, and I don't see things much as larger than life anymore. I see people struggling like I do.

For example, I remember walking on Owen Field after a game, when i was about 10 years old. I walked among some of the players leaving the field, just reserves really, but they towered above me. I was like knee high to them.

They wore red and white. They were on the field for another glorious Sooner victory.

They were who I wanted to be, but they were also outside of my world, in a way I could never reach, at least not until I grew up.

I look at today's players. They are much better trained and conditioned athletically, but I now just see young guys doing their best. I like them, and respect them, but I don't look up to them, or wish to be them. (I wish I was young, and a stud, and wearing crimson, but not in the same way.)

Well said. I remember walking around on the field after games too. So cool.

It's different now, though.

Sooner04
12/16/2009, 12:31 AM
Actually, you are very close to right on one thing for sure... the NFL logos. Throw the old NE Patriot center down ready to snap the ball in place of the goofy stylized one they use now and you're absolutely 100 per cent morally, intellectually, spiritually and genetically right as rain.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0b/New_England_Patriots_logo_old.svg/180px-New_England_Patriots_logo_old.svg.png

tommieharris91
12/16/2009, 02:16 AM

I would love to see the Chargers go back to wearing powder blue at home permanently.

boomermagic
12/16/2009, 11:21 AM
{King Barrys back }During Bob's run to the 2000 title -- watching how great he was with the press, all the PR aspects, the way he recruited and developed gentlemen and ball-busting players -- I remember saying "Damn, he's better, way better, than Switzer. Switzer never cared about the media, but in today's world, PR is a key assett and Stoops oozes it." (Paraphrase)

But here we are a decade later, and Bob is clearly no better than Switzer in any capacity (except for team discipline, I guess). And Barry NEVER turned in a five loss season.

But today's kids are going to love Bob the way I love Switzer, and they will sing his praises in the decades to follow.

I agree with this.. But I still say Barry was the very best at least since I started following the Sooners{About 1964 or 65..

Hella Sideburns
12/16/2009, 03:06 PM
04, all I'm going to say is that, as a staunch Denver hater (all of my friends are Broncos fans for some damn reason), I'm still in total agreement with you regarding their logo. That god damn thing is a classic.

Soonersince57
12/17/2009, 10:09 AM
Nostalgia --

And, Gawd, did I love Barry Switzer.

At the same time, if Barry's successor had won as much as he did, Barry would be fondly remembered but never be considered the King, and his success would have been credited to the "program" -- like a coach doesn't build a program.

During Bob's run to the 2000 title -- watching how great he was with the press, all the PR aspects, the way he recruited and developed gentlemen and ball-busting players -- I remember saying "Damn, he's better, way better, than Switzer. Switzer never cared about the media, but in today's world, PR is a key assett and Stoops oozes it." (Paraphrase)

But Bud Wilkinson is still the best coach OU ever had, and he was out of coaching before I was born.

Well said. I came on campus in 1975 as a freshman and saw Joe Washington in the dorm elevator. I had to call everyone I knew to tell them. I couldn't believe as a kid how lucky I was to be from a small town and come to Norman and be in the band; go to Texas game, lose to Kansas, but come back and beat Michigan in the Orange Bowl for the national championship.