PDA

View Full Version : Turner Gill names new Coordinators

SoonerPr8r
12/14/2009, 11:40 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12

Turner Gill's direction of the Kansas program has already come with a strong start even before the formal announcement of his hiring.

Hiring proven coordinators like Chuck Long (:confused: )to handle the offense and Carl Torbush on defense is an impressive beginning.

It's proven that Gill doesn't have much ego as he's picked two assistants who have been FBS head coaches over the years.

Long and Torbush both struggled in their stints as head coaches. But both are strong coordinators and will help Gill's transformation of the Jayhawk program.

Long was out of football this season after he was let go at San Diego State. But he was the architect of the Oklahoma passing game that helped make a Heisman Trophy winner out of Jason White. He'll help in the development of Kale Pick and whoever else surfaces at Kansas at quarterback.

And the addition of Torbush should do wonders for the Kansas defense. Torbush was the architect of the North Carolina defenses when he coached under Mack Brown in the middle of the last decade. He took the Tar Heels to bowl victories as head coach before he was let go two seasons later in 2000. And he's been a defensive coordinator under Dennis Franchione at Alabama and Texas A&M and most recently under Dan Mullen at Mississippi State.

Both coordinators are familiar with the Big 12 and its recruiting nuances. It's a great set of hires to start off for Gill and should help make his transition as Kansas' head coach that much easier.

badger
12/14/2009, 12:16 PM
No way... hired Chuck (third and) Long? :confused:

Flagstaffsooner
12/14/2009, 12:20 PM
Back down the tubes for KU.

unbiasedtruth
12/14/2009, 12:27 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Chuck Long would lose the buyout of his coaching dismissal if he started coaching again before the length of his original contract expired..... if so wouldnt he be losing a nice chunk of change to start coaching again at KU??

StoopTroup
12/14/2009, 12:31 PM
Might have been as Head Coach or maybe he just missed the game. Sitting around ain't much fun either when your heart is for this game.

I wish him well.

Good Luck Chuck.

NormanPride
12/14/2009, 12:33 PM
They'll be okay. Not good but okay. Gill hasn't proven he can really coach consistently, and Chuck+Torbush is a good pair. Not great but good.

SoonerLB
12/14/2009, 12:39 PM
Well, the opposition can breathe easier now, won't have to worry about that high powered Kansas offense anymore. Wonder how many plays it will be before the first flare pass is intercepted and run back on them?

TUSooner
12/14/2009, 12:53 PM
He'll help in the development of Kale Pick and whoever else surfaces at Kansas at quarterback.
Their QB is named "Pick"? I hope he's not #6.

:eek:

badger
12/14/2009, 01:07 PM
Their QB is named "Pick"? I hope he's not #6.

:eek:

On the contrary... I hope he is :D

goingoneight
12/14/2009, 02:56 PM
Chuck has a good eye for QBs, and understands the game well... he's just very conservative. As long as his offense isn't turning the ball over, he'll run the same ole shat every play. It's a real snoozer to watch and elite teams read you like an open book.

Chuck scouted and recruited the following:

Josh Heupel
Nate Hybl
Jason White
Paul Thompson
Sam Bradford

He had other talent on hand that for disciplinary reasons never made it on the field or only made it for a short while. I'm happy with Josh coaching QBs here, but if Bob up and said Chuck was OUr QB coach, I'd be happy with that.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/14/2009, 03:04 PM
Chuck has a good eye for QBs, and understands the game well... he's just very conservative. As long as his offense isn't turning the ball over, he'll run the same ole shat every play. It's a real snoozer to watch and elite teams read you like an open book.

Chuck scouted and recruited the following:

Josh Heupel
Nate Hybl
Jason White
Paul Thompson
Sam Bradford

He had other talent on hand that for disciplinary reasons never made it on the field or only made it for a short while. I'm happy with Josh coaching QBs here, but if Bob up and said Chuck was OUr QB coach, I'd be happy with that.

I'm pretty sure Long didn't recruit Heupel or White.

Blues1
12/14/2009, 03:08 PM
I thought I heard Mike Leach found Josh....?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/14/2009, 03:20 PM
Actually I don't think you can credit Long for Hybl either..

NormanPride
12/14/2009, 03:31 PM
The only reason Long went after Bradford was because Leach did. He had, by then, figured out that he was a terrible QB recruiter and just went after the kids that Leach did.

Blues1
12/14/2009, 03:36 PM
The only reason Long went after Bradford was because Leach did. He had, by then, figured out that he was a terrible QB recruiter and just went after the kids that Leach did.

I'm OK with that -- We should follow around Leach on all QB's he is looking at.....jmho...! ~ :)

They seem to come out of No-Where..... :)

Collier11
12/14/2009, 03:38 PM
They'll be okay. Not good but okay. Gill hasn't proven he can really coach consistently, and Chuck+Torbush is a good pair. Not great but good.

Gill coached at Buffalo, a craphole in college football for decades. I believe in the years leading up to him being hired they had won 3 games in 3 years or something like that and he won 20 games in 4 years including a conf title.

badger
12/14/2009, 03:44 PM
Which coach can we blame for Brett Romar :mad:

Blues1
12/14/2009, 03:44 PM
jmho ~ Turner Gill will have Kansas Rockin' in 3 or 4 years -- Of course Nebraska will also be a top 20 team probably starting in 2010 or 2011...

The North will BE Back.....Once again ~ jmho....

Collier11
12/14/2009, 03:49 PM
The north will be better but im not sure if it will be as good as the early 2000s...The north wont just roll over in conf title games anymore I dont think ala Colorado and mizzou

badger
12/14/2009, 03:54 PM
jmho ~ Turner Gill will have Kansas Rockin' in 3 or 4 years -- Of course Nebraska will also be a top 20 team probably starting in 2010 or 2011...

The North will BE Back.....Once again ~ jmho....

Will "Kansas Rockin'" be comparable to Buffalo Rockin'?

In that case, hope the Jayhawks love Toronto! International Bowl, there you go! :rolleyes:

KRYPTON
12/14/2009, 04:00 PM
Wasn't Torbush A&M DC for 77-0?

Didn't Chuck Long abandon 7 yards per carry for three incomplete passes against LSU?

Not worried.

Blues1
12/14/2009, 04:14 PM
Will "Kansas Rockin'" be comparable to Buffalo Rockin'?

In that case, hope the Jayhawks love Toronto! International Bowl, there you go! :rolleyes:

Anyone who can Win at Buffalo has got my Vote.... :)
But I will say 8 and 4 at Kansas would be Rockin' for those fans....:)

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2009, 04:24 PM
Anyone who can Win at Buffalo has got my Vote.... :)
But I will say 8 and 4 at Kansas would be Rockin' for those fans....:)

^^This. Expectations at KU are waaay different than OU. Last season was the first time they had back-to-back bowl games *ever*. Mangino was not let go because of losing streak this season, although I'm sure that made it easier to implement. I doubt we'll ever know what really happened behind the scenes, but I take the "whiny players" story with a grain of salt - that's just the info that got out.

I with Gill success - seems like a really good guy.

NormanPride
12/14/2009, 04:34 PM
I like Gill, but I want him to fail. That AD they have is a jerk and deserves to go.

humblesooner
12/14/2009, 04:43 PM
Gill coached at Buffalo, a craphole in college football for decades. I believe in the years leading up to him being hired they had won 3 games in 3 years or something like that and he won 20 games in 4 years including a conf title.

Gill's record in 4 years at Buffalo was 20-30.
Their record last year, when he was receiving all of the accolades was 8-6.
This year they were 5-7. This means that in his first two years Buffalo won a total of 7 games. While this is better than three wins in three years, it si not worthy of the high praise Gill received last year (with carry over to this year).
Not impressive at all.
Granted, it was all done a Buffalo. But you should look at their website and see some of the teams that they played to build these stellar records.

Collier11
12/14/2009, 08:15 PM
you should look at Buffalo's history and think again

ashley
12/14/2009, 08:30 PM
Gill's record in 4 years at Buffalo was 20-30.
Their record last year, when he was receiving all of the accolades was 8-6.
This year they were 5-7. This means that in his first two years Buffalo won a total of 7 games. While this is better than three wins in three years, it si not worthy of the high praise Gill received last year (with carry over to this year).
Not impressive at all.
Granted, it was all done a Buffalo. But you should look at their website and see some of the teams that they played to build these stellar records.

Does that mean he is not a good coach? NO. He is a very respected coach and person by people who do this for a living.

humblesooner
12/15/2009, 11:31 AM
Does that mean he is not a good coach? NO. He is a very respected coach and person by people who do this for a living.

I agree that he is probably a respected person by his peers.
Ths issue I was making is that he does not have the same resume as Brian Kelly, Urban Meyer, Chris Peterson or even Dan Hawkins pre-Colorado. This is usually what garners attention for coaches at small schools - big records

Most of the time when you hear of an obscure school's coach making the waves that Gill did last year (with carry-over to this year), it is because he took a Marshall, Bowling Green, Boise St, etc and wins 10, 11 or even 12 games for a year or two. Gill's best year - by record - at Buffalo was 8-6 when he won his conference and took them to a bowl game. This year they fell back to 5-7. Not exactly the resume a BCS conference school is normally looking for. He may do very well in Lawrence. But if I were a KU fan, I would be extremely disappointed that this is the best resume we could find after the last few years under Mangino.

cvsooner
12/15/2009, 12:42 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Chuck Long would lose the buyout of his coaching dismissal if he started coaching again before the length of his original contract expired..... if so wouldnt he be losing a nice chunk of change to start coaching again at KU??

No. From ESPN: "SDSU will continue to pay Long through 2010. In a settlement finalized in November, San Diego State agreed to pay Long $715,000 through Dec. 31, 2010, minus any salary, compensation or income from any other employment or contracted services.

"It is unclear how much Long will be making at Kansas, but former Kansas offensive coordinator Ed Warriner was the highest paid assistant at $306,100 per year."

Either way, Chuckles can laugh all the way to the bank. In fact, KU would be wise to offer him very little pay this year and then bump him up next year.

sooneron
12/15/2009, 12:50 PM
That may be why they hired him.

delhalew
12/15/2009, 12:51 PM
Gill's press conference was a home run. If I were a KU fan I would buying it.
The only problem I see is the use of the word "dynasty".

OKLA21FAN
12/15/2009, 01:02 PM
Gill's press conference was a home run. If I were a KU fan I would buying it.
The only problem I see is the use of the word "dynasty".

At least he didnt say 'we are in a head on collision with the national championship' :pop: