PDA

View Full Version : Gill to hire Chuck Long as Kansas OC?

kelloggOUballa
12/13/2009, 01:49 AM
http://newsok.com/kansas-to-name-turner-gill-its-new-coach-former-sooner-assistant-chuck-long-to-join-his-staff/article/3424791?custom_click=lead_story_title

Nice.

sooner59
12/13/2009, 02:08 AM
Its not a bad idea really. I mean, Chuck "3rd and" Long caught a lot of flack, but he did get us in the MNC game. Why not try him at KU?

King Barry's Back
12/13/2009, 02:13 AM
"Convincing prep players to come to Kansas will be a much easier sell, especially considering Gill can tell them that his own daughter chose Kansas. One of Gill's two daughters, Jordan, is a student at Kansas."

Hmmm... that's funny. Mangino's daughter was a student at KU when he got hired.

The article is right. It must be 10,000 times easier to sell Kansas to a TX player than freaking Buffalo. What would you even have to sell? Some of the coldest weather in the lower 48. Lake-effect snow. Depressed industrial wasteland scenario.

And, you'll be 1500 miles from home!!

If Gill can recruit TX players to Buffalo, he can recruit the hell out of anywhere he is.

Right now I'll make my prediction -- Within three years, the North Div is going to be a Nebraska-Kansas dominated league.

But the Big XII will still be a South dominated league. ;)

sooner59
12/13/2009, 02:15 AM
"Convincing prep players to come to Kansas will be a much easier sell, especially considering Gill can tell them that his own daughter chose Kansas. One of Gill's two daughters, Jordan, is a student at Kansas."

Hmmm... that's funny. Mangino's daughter was a student at KU when he got hired.

The article is right. It must be 10,000 times easier to sell Kansas to a TX player than freaking Buffalo. What would you even have to sell? Some of the coldest weather in the lower 48. Lake-effect snow. Depressed industrial wasteland scenario.

And, you'll be 1500 miles from home!!

If Gill can recruit TX players to Buffalo, he can recruit the hell out of anywhere he is.

Right now I'll make my prediction -- Within three years, the North Div is going to be a Nebraska-Kansas dominated league.

But the Big XII will still be a South dominated league. ;)

I bet your are right.

MikeInNorman
12/13/2009, 12:12 PM
Its not a bad idea really. I mean, Chuck "3rd and" Long caught a lot of flack, but he did get us in the MNC game. Why not try him at KU?

Two NC games, actually.

GottaHavePride
12/13/2009, 12:16 PM

If it wasn't for KU's monumental collapse in the last half of the season, I'd say it already IS.

Lott's Bandana
12/13/2009, 01:30 PM
This would be great for Chuck and his family. They have enjoyed living in San Diego, but Lawrence is close to hometown Norman and a pretty cool little town, and near KCMO.

I hope this happens.

delhalew
12/13/2009, 01:37 PM
Well, I like Turner. Not so hyped about having to go up against him on the regular.

North Div. Nebraska will be tough, Gill will surely have Kansas playing tough, Snyder has a habit of playing us tougher than he should, and even Iowa state should continue improving.

Looks like we could have a more complete conference soon.

yermom
12/13/2009, 01:42 PM
as if the Big 12 coaches weren't already too familiar with each other

it's like one big incestuous family :eek:

SoonerLB
12/13/2009, 01:57 PM
Hiring "Third and Long" would tarnish my impression of Gill, just sayin'. His record as a head coach speaks for itself.

yermom
12/13/2009, 01:59 PM
how about his record as an OC?

2002-2006 at OU wasn't exactly horrible

delhalew
12/13/2009, 02:03 PM
as if the Big 12 coaches weren't already too familiar with each other

it's like one big incestuous family :eek:

Most of them straight out of Bob's coaching tree.

SoonerLB
12/13/2009, 02:08 PM
He owes that to outstanding athletes, if not for them it would have been constant 'third and very long' with his penchant for sideways football. I was thrilled to see him go, and I will be thrilled when we beat any team he is associated with.