PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Sooner Moment

soonerboy
12/13/2009, 01:07 AM
I wanna hear them, to much negativity going on around here. I'll start it off, 2000 OU-Nebraska, the game that put us on top and showed the country that we were back!

Leroy Lizard
12/13/2009, 01:45 AM
Beating UT in 2000.

sooner59
12/13/2009, 02:13 AM
The moment the clock hit zero in the 2000 NC game. Tears in my eyes.

King Barry's Back
12/13/2009, 02:20 AM

This.

To be standing in the Pro Player, Joe Robbie, Land Shark Orange Bowl; two years after Mr Blake left us, was just too sweet. Yeah, tears in the eyes, the whole thing. "It's easy to say, Oklahoma's back."

Hard to think of others: Beating Penn State to win the NC while I was an undergrad -- very sweet.

The previous season -- beating a top-5 ranked OSU to make it to the Orange Bowl for the first time in 4 yrs.

That whole 2000 season -- Heck, how happy would we have been to go, say 9-2, finish second in the South, and play in the Cotton Bowl? We had been so bad for so long, that the Cotton Bowl would have been a GREAT season. Then to just go on and win it all. "Red October." The way the players carried themselves -- they just had this attitude that "I know something you don't, and you're going to have to wait to see it." Bob wasn't soured on the press yet, and the reporters LOVED him.

Remember everybody in the state putting little OU flags on their cars?

That season is just always going to be special, no matter how many more championships we win.

sooner59
12/13/2009, 02:42 AM
I just hope to be in the stands for an OU national championship victory. I began undergrad in 2003. I couldn't afford the MNC that year and watched us lose on TV. Same for 2004, I had to watch us lose on TV. I actually had the dough for last year and was in the stadium to watch us lose to Florida. I will attend every MNC game we are in from now on come hell or high water. I believe that Bob will get us another one and I may not sleep for 2-3 days after due to heavy partying.

setem
12/13/2009, 03:06 AM
When Bobby Boucher showed up at halftime and da Soonas won da Boybon Bowl!

VA Sooner
12/13/2009, 08:51 AM

My vote also for this.

Will have to pull out my recording of it and watch it again.

sooneredaco
12/13/2009, 09:14 AM
I don't know that I can say it was my favorite Sooner moment, but the Texas Tech game last year was about the most amazing enviroment I can ever remember. Owen Field was on fire that night. And how about Bobby challenging us prior to the game. Then after the game giving the crowd a "we're not worthy" bow! Then to follow that up by giving us a game ball. Man that was awesome! Heck maybe it was my favorite!

Flagstaffsooner
12/13/2009, 10:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46KNY_LaIfs

StoopTroup
12/13/2009, 11:33 AM
Halftime of 63-14...

Watching the whorns walking out of the Fair...."Hey where you going...there's still another half of football!" :D

I still get giddy thinking about it.

Leroy Lizard
12/13/2009, 12:40 PM
My favorite plays:

JC Watts pitching to Sims against Florida State

Spencer Tillman diving into the endzone against Nebrasa

Steve Davis QB sneaking against Nebraska (1973 I believe)

Roy Williams' famous play

So many plays.

ouwasp
12/13/2009, 01:38 PM
Carr's clinching TD run against Penn St

I was sitting in the opposite end zone surrounded by blue-clad yankees; we saw the Lion D part like the Red Sea...:D

JLEW1818
12/13/2009, 01:41 PM
probably yelled the loudest when T. Marshall picked 6 aggies

StoopTroup
12/13/2009, 01:42 PM
Watching Sammie accept his Heisman has to be right up there too. What a Great Sooner.

betterstill
12/13/2009, 02:21 PM
The 1966 victory over Texas and the singing of "poor Texas" near the end of that game.

Soonersince57
12/13/2009, 03:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46KNY_LaIfs

Excellent choice. I also like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbirSv4kgNA&feature=related

mehip
12/13/2009, 03:08 PM
The 86 Orange Bowl vs Penn State especially this.
VnHhuNJgGKU

spatton713
12/13/2009, 09:19 PM
I don't know that I can say it was my favorite Sooner moment, but the Texas Tech game last year was about the most amazing enviroment I can ever remember. Owen Field was on fire that night. And how about Bobby challenging us prior to the game. Then after the game giving the crowd a "we're not worthy" bow! Then to follow that up by giving us a game ball. Man that was awesome! Heck maybe it was my favorite!

i was there....f*n insane

bluedogok
12/13/2009, 09:23 PM
Keith Jackson - Tight End Reverse....

TrhHbUvaEic

Bonehead
12/13/2009, 10:01 PM
Joe Washington 4th down TD against Mizzou and following 2pt conversion to preserve a national championship season

salth2o
12/13/2009, 10:11 PM
The 86 Orange Bowl vs Penn State especially this.
VnHhuNJgGKU

ndpruitt03
12/13/2009, 10:14 PM
While I was alive and watching? It's gotta be the FSU NC game. Fumble against Winke then TD run by Q the next play.

All time it's the Little Joe return against USC that ended up being for like a 10 yard loss but he ran around for like 200 yards and 50 different USC tacklers.

Howzit
12/13/2009, 10:32 PM
Lots of good ones already mentioned, but mine was actually in basketball. I was out of town on business watching Eduardo's last home game (maybe Mizzou?). At the end of the game ESPN was for some reason staying with the feed, and Eduardo knelt and kissed the OU logo.

That epitomized to me a student athlete's love for his university that had to given him as much as he had given to it.

Salt City Sooner
12/13/2009, 10:39 PM
I have 2 (in no particular order)

http://www.k955.com/sports/ouchamps/soonersport.jpg

Pure exhilaration. That whole season came SO out of the blue, & when Q scored, you just knew it was going to end the right way.

http://www.genmar.net/sooners/images/logos/nate.jpg

One of only 2 times I have ever shed a tear (& the only one that was due to something positive) over something football related. A significant portion of our "fan" base put that kid through h-e-double hockey sticks because he wasn't Josh, & when I was sitting there & realized what he must have been feeling when he accepted that trophy after going through all that totally un-necessary crap (& having the class & restraint to not shoot back), well, I'm not ashamed to admit that I caught one rolling down my cheek.

Leroy Lizard
12/13/2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah, Nate getting MVP was great. Loved it.

I didn't cry though.

rawlingsHOH
12/13/2009, 10:43 PM
FSU game

WA. Sooner
12/14/2009, 01:49 PM
I remember going to my back yard and screaming after "The Kick"

StoopTroup
12/14/2009, 01:52 PM
I forgot about this....

YglrzDO2etA

Blues1
12/14/2009, 01:57 PM
Standing in south end zone in South Bend Ind - 1956 ~~~
OU 40 - Paul Horning & Norte Dame 0

Doesn't get much better than that !!! ~~~ :)

Still R'

StoopTroup
12/14/2009, 02:05 PM
Standing in south end zone in South Bend Ind - 1956 ~~~
OU 40 - Paul Horning & Norte Dame 0

Doesn't get much better than that !!! ~~~ :)

Still R'

I met a guy at an OU Tailgate that went to OU during the 47 game streak. The last game he was at as a Student was the game we lost that ended the Streak. The way he told me the story....I can't do it justice. Him telling me that at that point...he had never seen OU lose a Football Game. 4 years. Just imagine having that to compare things too.

I'll never forget the story.

Denton_Sooner
12/14/2009, 02:32 PM
Being in the student section during Strait's pick-six against Nebraska in 2000.

Absolute mayhem...

virginiasooner
12/14/2009, 04:38 PM
1979 OU-Nebraska game, Mike Babb's interception that kills a Nebraska drive and seals an OU victory.

This year's Bedlam ranks high up there for me as well!

the_sooners_abide
12/14/2009, 04:52 PM
Superman hitting Crissy Simms is still my favorite...

Sooner-N-KS
12/14/2009, 05:45 PM
Superman's gotta be my favorite as well.

I was away in the Navy and missed the 1988 Orange Bowl vs. Miami. They just played it yesterday on ESPN Classic. Switzer called a fumblerooski in the 2nd half. The center made it look like he snapped the ball, and the QB ran like he was running the option. But the ball was underneath the center. The left guard came in behind him to pick up the ball, and then ran it all the way to the end zone.

Jdog
12/14/2009, 09:30 PM
All of 2000.
My 10 year old son and I went to every game that year, except the first KSU game (planed the trip to Disney world before the season so we watching it in the ESPN Bar).
We won more games -and bigger games - than ever before. what a season! the blow out of Texas - Nebish at home - the comeback against the Aggies at Kyle - the KSU game for our first Big 12 championship. And top it all off with that game against FSU.
and after the game, my son walking down the stairs toward the ESPN stage in the end zone of Pro Player screaming "who's #1 now Corso, Who's #1 now!!!!
NO LOSES!!!!NC!!!!!!

MyT Oklahoma
12/14/2009, 09:44 PM
The 2006 Big 12 Championship Game at Arrowhead. Being there on that God awful cold December night and watching our boys win was priceless.

Jdog
12/14/2009, 10:17 PM
Excellent choice. I also like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbirSv4kgNA&feature=related

Ditto - Great choice -- so many great moments -such a great history of college football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

TXBOOMER
12/14/2009, 10:26 PM
Beating FSU for the National Championship after ten years of HE11.

SapulpaSooner
12/14/2009, 10:34 PM
Clint Ingram interception in the Holiday Bowl vs No. 6 Oregon Ducks. OU 17 Oregon 14.:D :D :D http://www.jimsoklahomasportspage.com/thesave.html :pop:

SPuL
12/14/2009, 10:48 PM
I'm probably one of the only Sooner fans on here who has never witnessed a Sooner championship. (didn't follow it till the year after Miami won title). I've seen 3 Oklahoma title game losses, and suffered month long depressions each time. The day I witness them bring one home, that will obviously be #1 for me. Until then......

This. This entire game. Like I don't ever remember enjoying an Oklahoma victory more. The crowd, the defense, our offense, EVERYTHING about that game was amazing. It killed me to think I was basically 5 seconds away from clicking submit on stubhub to get tickets for that game. It was all awesome. And I seriously envy all you who were in the stands that game. haha

"Where are we? In Madison?" haha

Petro-Sooner
12/14/2009, 11:00 PM
OU texas 2000 was pretty nice. My first time to experience that game and best weekend of my life. Best was the whole week leading up to that years neb. game. As a student running out on Owen Field, words do not explain. Guilty of throwing of a couple oranges. And I knew rushing the field just doesn't happen here.

bluedogok
12/14/2009, 11:09 PM
I've seen more Texas wins than OU wins when I have been there in person, my last one was Blake's last year/Mack's first year. I never feel good going to that game since "I" have such a poor record there. I will go again one of these years, if for no other reason than for so my wife (Tech alum) can experience it and understand what the whole experience is about. Even some of my UT friends never "understood it" and thought it should be a home/home game until they experienced it in person.

thesnowbishop
12/14/2009, 11:25 PM
Sounds a bit slight considering, but when Gayron Allen helped out on a fourth and goal against OSU, I got a definite glow. And I've been there for a lot of great sooner moments.

http://www.orangepower.com/archive/index.php/t-454.html

Veritas
12/14/2009, 11:44 PM
The Keith Jackson end around is definitely the one etched in my memory. I'd say the Johnny Rodgers punt return just to mess with you guys but I wasn't even born then. :texan:

AlbqSooner
12/15/2009, 06:09 AM
So many moments it is hard to choose. my 2 favorites were both against Pitt. Tony Dorsett starts on a sweep to his left. Scott Hill did the first Superman play and knocked Dorsett on his arse for a loss.

Sooners had a 3rd and very short. As they come to the line, Pitt lineman is calling out instructions to the Pitt defense. OU lineman points at him and says, "We're coming right over you CHUMP and there ain't a thing you can do about it." And they did. First down OU.

Sooner70
12/15/2009, 07:18 AM
A couple come to mind......what was great about these two is they were away games & SOONER MAGIC was on the field that day:

Nov. 27,1976-Lincoln, Neb-OU behind 13-17 late in 4th Q. With less than 3 minutes left in the game, OU had the ball on their own 17 yd line & it was desperation time. Thomas Lott pitched to halfback Woodie Shepard who lofted a 48 yard perfect pass to Steve Rhodes, who downed the ball on the Neb 35. Then, it was 3rd and 19 on the 34 as two previous plays went nowhere. In trots our favorite TV guy, Dean Blevins, who hits Rhodes again, but he laterals to Elvis Peacock who rumbles 32 yards to the 2 yard line. Mike Treps is going bannanas on the radio. Anyway, OU scores to win the game 20-17.

Sept 25, 1977-Columbus, Ohio-In a grueling, bang up game, OU had lost Billy Sims at the end of the first quarter & Thomas Lott in the middle of the second. With OSU leading 28-20 with less than a few minutes left in the game, OU's Reggie Kinlaw recovered a OSU fumble on the OSU 43 yard line. OU mounted a drive that resulted in a score, but the two point conversion failed. It was 28-26. Everybody knew an onside kick was coming, but Uwe Von Schamann's sidesaddle kick quibbed off the shoulder of an OSU player & Mike Babb recovered it on the 50 yard line with about a minute & half left. 27 yds in 4 plays, with Big play was Steve Rhodes 12 yard pass from Blevins setting up Uwe at OSU's 23 yard line with 3 seconds left. Everybody knows about Woody's time out calls, & Uwe leading the chant, just before he kicked the 41 yard field goal that let the air out of the stadium.

What followed that season was a disappointing 13-6 loss to Texas, but a huge disappointment in the Orange Bowl as a highly favored OU team lead by star QB Thomas Lott with the triple option wishbone offense was stymied by a underdog and undermanned Arkansas team (coached by Lou Holtz) 31-6. The Hogs jumped on OU early & never let up.

MrJimBeam
12/15/2009, 07:54 AM
Watching Barry Burget return a blocked Vanderbilt FG for a TD in '77. It was only my second OU game ever and Barry was from my home town of Stroud. Dad and I let everyone around us know it too. I had watched him lead Stroud to a state championship in '74 so he was my hero.

olevetonahill
12/15/2009, 08:01 AM
After all these years there aint just ONE

Ive watched the Sooners bring home 4 MNCs
Ive seen Tinker fumble then make one hell of a play , Uwe made one hell of a Kick, Little Joe , Nuff said , Greg Pruit Ditto . Billy Hell hes the Man.
Where to start ? where to stop ?
Hell they aint no Stoppin

SoonerTank
12/15/2009, 08:24 AM

Ive seen Tinker fumble then make one hell of a play , Uwe made one hell of a Kick, Little Joe , Nuff said , Greg Pruit Ditto . Billy Hell hes the Man.

Agree to all.

fireater
12/15/2009, 03:05 PM
As a member of the BamaNation, a few years ago when you played in Tuscaloosa. (This was the season after coach fRaud skipped out and went to aggieland.) What a great bunch of fans you were, and are, and are still talked about to this day in the highest of regard.

Later that season, in the ultimate show of respect, when you played eATMe,
you got our revenge for us. We still appreciate that. And urban legend has it your band played 'Yea Alabama'.

Easy for us to root for the Sooners.

boomermagic
12/15/2009, 03:55 PM

You got it vet ! :D

AlbqSooner
12/15/2009, 08:46 PM
As a member of the BamaNation, a few years ago when you played in Tuscaloosa. (This was the season after coach fRaud skipped out and went to aggieland.) What a great bunch of fans you were, and are, and are still talked about to this day in the highest of regard.

Later that season, in the ultimate show of respect, when you played eATMe,
you got our revenge for us. We still appreciate that. And urban legend has it your band played 'Yea Alabama'.

Easy for us to root for the Sooners.

I was in Tuscaloosa for that game. I have said it before on here, but it is worth saying again. In all my travels to watch the Sooners play on the road I have never been treated better than I was in Tuscaloosa - NEVER.

Funky G
12/16/2009, 01:00 AM
Agreed on Alabama trip. Great fans. That is, so far, the best road trip I've been on. The Alabama faithful know how to throw a game day. Roll tide. Roll Tide. Roll Tide.

adoniijahsooner
12/16/2009, 01:11 AM
Patrick Collins 65 yard run against Nebraska.

the_edge
12/16/2009, 02:21 AM
The butt-kicking in Lincoln during the 1987 season after Steve Taylor ran his mouth all week.

Leroy Lizard
12/16/2009, 05:23 AM
There was the last second FG against Nebraska in 1986. Forget his name, but an NU linebacker compared watching the ball sail through the goal posts to having his mother killed in front of his eyes. (He later played for Switzer in Dallas.)

Leroy Lizard
12/16/2009, 05:25 AM
The butt-kicking in Lincoln during the 1987 season after Steve Taylor ran his mouth all week.

That was the best defensive effort I recall seeing. (Save the 1973 Nebraska game.)

pb4ou
12/16/2009, 05:37 AM
I don't know about favorite, but I sure remember I think it was 92 or 93 when we were playing at OSU. It was 4th and long and 1 second left on the clock until halftime. The clock ran down and Pat Jones was livid that he called a time out before the clock was at 0:00 and he wanted a chance for a punt return. Half of the players were en route to the locker room the band was ready to come on the field. The refs made everyone come back on the field and instead of punting it away, Cale Gundy threw a hail-mary TD pass. It was definitely hilarious when all the aggie fans groaned and sat down dejected.

Leroy Lizard
12/16/2009, 05:37 AM
UT fans start a thread on hornfans.com explaining why Sam Bradford is going to suck.

adoniijahsooner
12/16/2009, 05:53 AM
UT fans start a thread on hornfans.com explaining why Sam Bradford is going to suck.

Epic failure right there.

EnragedOUfan
12/16/2009, 08:37 AM
In 2000. When OU beat then #1 Nebraska in Norman.....

MiccoMacey
12/16/2009, 01:48 PM
Several already mentioned, but these two will always stand out for me:

1) OU-Alabama 2002. After losing our starting QB and future Heisman trophy winner for the second time in two years, and the fact this was our first home game since the loss to OSU in 2001, our season looked bleak when we fell behind 27-23. But with just under three minutes left in the game, Renaldo Works 47-yard scamper (set up by another huge run three downs previously) saved the game and season for us. Had we lost to Alabama, at home, with a QB that was blasted the year before for his ability, I have no doubt we probably don't make the Rose Bowl that year.

2) OU-Alabama 2003. My unit and I had just gotten home from Iraq that Tuesday. My wife and three-month old daughter (who had been born while I was in Iraq), came to Savannah, GA for a visit while my unit was outprocessing and trying to send us all back home. We watched the OU-Bama game in our hotel, and was excited for the win.

But the moment that became my all-time favorite Sooner moment was when Michael Thompson caught a 4th down pass on a fake punt and ran for the first down.

For those of you who don't know who Michael Thompson is, he was a CB for the 2000 OU team who started all 13 games for us that year who all but died in a horrific car crash after the 2000 season, who wasn't expected to live, then wasn't expected to walk, then wasn't expected to play football. He was an academic All-Big Twelve as a sophomore, and on the Big twelve Conference Commissioner's Honor Roll as a freshman. And Coach Stoops said he was a better person than he was as a player.

People love sports for many reasons. Some are enthralled by the athletic abilities of others. Some feel an affiliation because they went to that university. And there's nothing wrong with those.

But sometimes...you love sports because of the humanistic value we all share with these athletes. From the moment he became a part of that play, he became a hero of mine. Not just an athlete who played for the team I love, but someone I could point to and tell my kids, "This is who you want to be like".

I can barely imagine the hard work it takes for a healthy kid to become a great athlete and play for a football team like OU. The amount of time, effort, and energy he and others put in is incredible.

But I can't even fathom what went into the therapy for a kid who had the following injuries:

A broken leg, jaw and ankle (IIRC, there was talk about him losing the ankle), several fractured ribs, a broken collar bone, a pelvic injury that caused internal bleeding, and bruised lungs. He was in the intensive care unit and on a ventilator to help him breathe.

You'd have to undergo intense physical therapy just to be able to walk so that you could then begin therapy to have a normal life, so you could then start to rehabilitate back into an athlete, so that you could then start working on becoming the type of athlete probably nobody on this board has ever been.

So my all-time favorite Sooner moment wasn't the game winning TD, or a game-saving tackle. My favorite Sooner moment is about a kid who defeated every obstacle life could throw at him. And he did it in style.

Oh, and the very next play after the fake punt...Jason White throws a 46 yard TD strike to Brandon Jones to seal the win over Alabama.

Q22
12/16/2009, 05:05 PM
AD running all over the whorns in 04..

Partial Qualifier
12/16/2009, 05:16 PM
I've seen more Texas wins than OU wins when I have been there in person, my last one was Blake's last year/Mack's first year. I never feel good going to that game since "I" have such a poor record there. I will go again one of these years, if for no other reason than for so my wife (Tech alum) can experience it and understand what the whole experience is about. Even some of my UT friends never "understood it" and thought it should be a home/home game until they experienced it in person.

I'm like 0-7 in person at OU/TX games, so yeah....... I'll never go again.

Oh and Red October, Keith Jackson's career, Boz vs. Todd Dodge.

badger
12/16/2009, 05:21 PM
In a season of utter crap and bad luck...
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/20091129_ouwilson1129.jpg
(and 85,000 simultaneously start weeping)

josh09
12/16/2009, 08:24 PM

My, how I wish I was old enough to have watched this. I was 9 years old at the time, and had no idea what was so great about college football. This was the earliest game I remember though, because both of my parents were so excited for this game. I remember watching the kickoff, then walking into the other room. I became a true OU fan about halfway through the 2001 season, when something must have clicked in my head.

But for me, I'd have to say my favorite moment that I REMEMBER was the 2001 RRS, and we all know what happened there.

Also, my favorite moment in person would either have to be Alabama in 2002 or Texas in 2004. Ill never forget the chants of "5 IN A ROW" or "4 MORE YEARS" :D

Jdog
12/16/2009, 09:59 PM

great post!!!!!

John Kochtoston
12/16/2009, 10:23 PM
In no particular order, some repeats, some not:

-Q scores against Florida State. After everything OU fans had been through the previous 12 years, I must admit I was all but convinced that, although OU had outplayed Florida State, one fluke play was going to give FSU a TD and a cheap win. When Q scored, though, 12 years of crap was over.

-Superman. I was way up in the end zone on the opposite end of the CB, and saw Roy sneaking up between the linemen, I knew Texas didn't have a player to put on him, and it was just a race to see if he could get Chrissy before Chrissy dumped the ball off. He did. :D.
Because of my angle, at first I thought Chrissy had fumbled, and we would either recover in the end zone, or get a safety (either would have, for all intents and purposes, won the game). After the hit, my view became obstructed, for obvious reasons, and when I looked up, I saw Lehman celebrating in the end zone. Didn't realize until I saw the replay that it had been a pick.

-Eduardo Najera returns against Michigan State. He collided with Mateen Cleaves and got knocked the **** out. He came back, stitches, concussion and all. We lost, but Eddie showed off his balls of steel.

-Ernie Abercrombie hits a 3 to beat Kansas in 1995. Dude almost never shot 3s. He hit that one, and OU finished off an unbeaten home season.

Boomer!!
12/17/2009, 10:58 PM
When Mossis Madu hurdled that defender in the Big 12 title game and got into the end zone to cap off 5 straight games with 60+ points and the announcer came on and said "Record breaker, first time in history! Now how can you deny the Sooners a spot in the national title game."

CrimsonCommando
12/17/2009, 11:08 PM
When my pledge brother Greg Willis was nailing some girl in his bedroom of the Beta house and I walked in, realized what they were doing and began to awkwardly sing Boomer Sooner. I had been drinking. Favorite Sooner moment ever. Evar.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/18/2009, 11:01 PM
Superman

I yelled so loud that I actually saw stars and got light headed

Rocko
12/18/2009, 11:32 PM

Yeah I see both his younger and older brother here at my High School. Great moment.