PDA

View Full Version : As if it weren't already a fact...

Eielson
12/12/2009, 11:52 PM
tonight proved that the Heisman trophy is definitely not for the "most outstanding player in collegiate football." If that were truly what the award were about, Suh would not have finished a distant fourth. He basically finished last because Tebow was only there for ratings and had no chance at winning it.

Ingram was great, don't get me wrong, but no way should he have won the Heisman. He had about as many bad games as he had great games. This award has become more a "best player on the best team" award. Recently if the winner wasn't from a team in the championship game, it was a team at least in a BCS Bowl game. I think the only exception would be Tebow, and he's Jesus.

Soonerus
12/12/2009, 11:56 PM
tonight proved that the Heisman trophy is definitely not for the "most outstanding player in collegiate football." If that were truly what the award were about, Suh would not have finished a distant fourth. He basically finished last because Tebow was only there for ratings and had no chance at winning it.

Ingram was great, don't get me wrong, but no way should he have won the Heisman. He had about as many bad games as he had great games. This award has become more a "best player on the best team" award. Recently if the winner wasn't from a team in the championship game, it was a team at least in a BCS Bowl game. I think the only exception would be Tebow, and he's Jesus.

You are correct...

Leroy Lizard
12/13/2009, 01:40 AM
The only cure I see is to require everyone to turn in four names, with two being defensive players. I don't like the idea of telling someone how they can vote, though. And it could have the opposite effect of making it too easy on defensive players in years where there is only one standout player, like this year.

King Barry's Back
12/13/2009, 01:51 AM
A few years ago -- seems like it was in between the years that Josh finished second and Jason won the thing -- I heard an on-air commentator (and Heisman voter) musing about who he should vote for.

He just said out loud: "This this is supposed to be for the best player on the best team, so I guess I would have vote for XXX" whoever that was.

Why do people think it has to be that? Why can't it just be for the best player, period, regardless of team? Isn't that what the Heisman is SUPPOSED to be?

unbiasedtruth
12/13/2009, 02:19 AM
Suh finished 1st in the Southwest region that most Big XII schools reside in. Pony boy didnt even finish 1st in basically the Big XII region......

ouduckhunter
12/13/2009, 04:20 AM
Last year on ESpin radio Brent Musburger said that he was undecided as to who to cast his Heisman vote for. He yakked a while with the host and then decided that he would cast his vote for whoever the most callers voted for! How sad and ridiculous is that!!

VA Sooner
12/13/2009, 08:47 AM
Suh was a beast all season long. The others all had up and down seasons with the exception of Gerhart who was strong almost all season.

Ingram is very good... but he got most of that shine from the national spotlight on the SEC championship game after falling flat in the Auburn game.

Should have been closer with Gerhart and Suh.

TUSooner
12/13/2009, 09:34 AM
Heisman = Nobel Peace Prize = "most popular kid in class (today)" = pffffttt!

It's rarely about the best player. If it were, Toby or Suh would have won. Those 2 guys were the studs of the CFB season.

icmwhOU72
12/13/2009, 11:26 AM
I think it is funny that a guy wins the award for being the most outstanding player, when he didnt even win the award for the best player at his position. Doak Walker went to toby. I watched the first 15 mins of the program last night and chris fowler said it best when he said "the criteria that people use this year will determine the winner." I thought that last year, espn tried to turn the hiesman into a humanitarian award during there program when intead of focusing on tebows football highlights, they had a thirty min. segment on tbow touching boys genitals. That is great and all, but what the heck does it have to do with the heisman and football in general. I believe that ESPN won ingram the heisman this year. They make such a huge deal about the sec being the best conference and the defenses are just so tough and for ingram to rush for a hundred yards against the most hyped D in history, It went a long way to help ingram. That and the fact that Bama never had a heisman winner. Then you turn to the BIg XII and we have bad defenses so our best defensive player would probably be only average in the SEC. (sorryfor the long post:eek: )

soonerspudman
12/13/2009, 11:37 AM
I think it is funny that a guy wins the award for being the most outstanding player, when he didnt even win the award for the best player at his position. Doak Walker went to toby. I watched the first 15 mins of the program last night and chris fowler said it best when he said "the criteria that people use this year will determine the winner." I thought that last year, espn tried to turn the hiesman into a humanitarian award during there program when intead of focusing on tebows football highlights, they had a thirty min. segment on tbow touching boys genitals. That is great and all, but what the heck does it have to do with the heisman and football in general. I believe that ESPN won ingram the heisman this year. They make such a huge deal about the sec being the best conference and the defenses are just so tough and for ingram to rush for a hundred yards against the most hyped D in history, It went a long way to help ingram. That and the fact that Bama never had a heisman winner. Then you turn to the BIg XII and we have bad defenses so our best defensive player would probably be only average in the SEC. (sorryfor the long post:eek: )

I believe that ESPN won ingram the heisman this year. They make such a huge deal about the sec being the best conference and the defenses are just so tough and for ingram to rush for a hundred yards against the most hyped D in history, It went a long way to help ingram.

Think you really hit on it here, probably a lot of voters really focused on the Big 12 and SEC championship game performances, Ingram had a big game, Suh had a big game, Colt did not. If you flip that scenario and Colt was stellar and Ingram duds it, Colt likely may have won. Truth is (like it or not), McCoy had more to do with Texas making the championship game than Ingram did for Alabama. Solid year, but 1,500 yards is hardly Heisman stuff. But Colt fizzled on the big stage, the networks and media love guys that shine under the spotlight.

bluedogok
12/13/2009, 11:54 AM
Fair or not, Colt and Tebow were going against their previous years stats as much as they were going against the other players, it would have been the same for Sam as it was for Josh the year after he won it. There are also many who look at it as a career award instead of a one season award, some said that about Colt and his record for wins as a college QB. It is pretty much an overhyped award, anyone out west who doesn't play for USC is going to have a hard time winning it because most sportswriters are in bed asleep by the time they play. Even with the stats that Bradford had last season if OU hadn't been near the top of the standings and in the BCS hunt he wouldn't have won it.

I didn't even watch it or the other wards show, it just doesn't even seem to matter much anymore.

soonerspudman
12/13/2009, 12:27 PM
Fair or not, Colt and Tebow were going against their previous years stats as much as they were going against the other players, it would have been the same for Sam as it was for Josh the year after he won it. There are also many who look at it as a career award instead of a one season award, some said that about Colt and his record for wins as a college QB. It is pretty much an overhyped award, anyone out west who doesn't play for USC is going to have a hard time winning it because most sportswriters are in bed asleep by the time they play. Even with the stats that Bradford had last season if OU hadn't been near the top of the standings and in the BCS hunt he wouldn't have won it.

I didn't even watch it or the other wards show, it just doesn't even seem to matter much anymore.

It is pretty much an overhyped award, anyone out west who doesn't play for USC is going to have a hard time winning it because most sportswriters are in bed asleep by the time they play.

Yep. Just look at Kellen Moore for Boise State, he by far had the best season of any D1 player in the country and also an undefeated season, he wasn't even invited to NY. Exact same season for a Big East QB would have won the trophy hands down. It's BS.

Leroy Lizard
12/13/2009, 12:32 PM
I realize that the Heisman isn't perfect, but let's not equate it to the Nobel Peace Prize. After all, Ingram DID play, and he DID have some success.

starclassic tama
12/13/2009, 02:31 PM
in other news water appears to be wet

StoopTroup
12/13/2009, 02:33 PM
If Ponyboy had gone to the NFL last year...Suh might have won.

JLEW1818
12/13/2009, 02:33 PM
the year Tebow won it, they didn't go to a BCS bowl, and they lost to Michigan who lost to Appalachian State!

but his numbers were just stupid!!! 20+ rushing tds, 20+ passing tds

stoopified
12/13/2009, 02:55 PM
QWhile I think Suh and Gerhart(in that order Iwere more deserving than Ingram, I am relieved that Colt and Jesus faled to win it.

starclassic tama
12/14/2009, 02:51 PM
the year Tebow won it, they didn't go to a BCS bowl, and they lost to Michigan who lost to Appalachian State!

but his numbers were just stupid!!! 20+ rushing tds, 30+ passing tds

TexasLidig8r
12/14/2009, 03:50 PM
The Hypesman goes to the best offensive player on the perceived best team in the nation who has the best last game.

caleou1
12/14/2009, 03:50 PM
Suh would have stood a better chance at an SEC (South East Cult) school. Putting him closer to Jesus (you know who I am talking 'bout).

JLEW1818
12/14/2009, 03:53 PM
The Hypesman goes to the best offensive player on the perceived best team in the nation who has the best last game.

Eric Crouch's last game, got blown out by Colorado..... who did Colorado play in the big12 championship? me forget.... :D :D

icmwhOU72
12/14/2009, 04:00 PM
lets hope the heisman curse continues and texas can win the NC. I know that doesnt really help us, but the more we can take away from the "SEC" the better. I do not want espn to just keep gushing over that conference. Its rediculous so texas needs to take some air out of that balloon. It will help us in recruiting if the big xii can get some national love

SoonerAtKU
12/14/2009, 04:11 PM
Crouch won the Heisman because of the Flash Reverse whatever pass they used to beat OU. That, and the fact that they include rushing TDs for some quarterbacks, but not others. Really smart.

JLEW1818
12/14/2009, 04:29 PM
fastest White boy ever

GKeeper316
12/15/2009, 02:14 AM
o wtf...

nobody bitched about how the heisman was given out last year...

get. over. it.

SoonerAtKU
12/15/2009, 09:53 AM
That's because the three guys in New York last year were the three best players in college football. Any one of them could have won and probably would have deserved it. This is not one of those years. This was a Gino Torretta year.

jthomas666
12/15/2009, 11:05 AM
Ingram was great, don't get me wrong, but no way should he have won the Heisman. He had about as many bad games as he had great games. This award has become more a "best player on the best team" award. Recently if the winner wasn't from a team in the championship game, it was a team at least in a BCS Bowl game. I think the only exception would be Tebow, and he's Jesus.First of all, Ingram only had two down games, against Arkansas and Auburn. In the Ark game, Trent Richardson got the hot hand and the coaches went with it. Auburn just shut him down. (You can't call FUI and Chattanooga down games, as he was pulled early in both games.)

People seem to be losing track of how the Heisman race played out this year. At the beginning of the season, the Heisman favorites were Tebow, McCoy, and Bradford. CJ Spiller was thought to be a dark horse, but everyone just knew that the three QBs would put on a battle for the ages.

But then a funny thing happened--that darn reality!

Bradford went down early, and then went down again for keeps. Tebow started off slow, then he went down. McCoy did well, but nothing spectacular. And Spiller showed the occasional flash, but that was it.

And thus the nation cried out "Does anyone want this thing?" As if in answer, Mark Ingram, on national TV, ran for almost 250 yards against South Carolina, setting a stadium record against one of the betters defenses in the SEC. Particularly impressive was a game sealing drive in which Ingram ran 6 straight times to march the Tide down the field and into the endzone.

And the sportswriters said "Whoa".

And they looked at his numbers, and saw that they were pretty good. Particularly impressive was his yards after initial contact.

So they kept their eyes on him. He did OK against Tennessee, save an almost fatal fumble. Still, no one else was really standing up. Ingram had a solid game against LSU. The following week, Bama played Miss State. Ingram scored early, but took a cleat to the head. But he bounced back, ripping off a 70 yard TD run late in the game.

And the sportswriters said "Whoa" again.

Meanwhile, McCoy was still doing well, but not outstanding. Some people started talking about Suh--a great player, but he didn't really have a signature moment. Gerhardt was putting up big numbers--but if big numbers alone were the standard, there were several QBs with much better numbers than McCoy. Spiller finally started showing some flashes, but by that time, it was too, little, too late--particularly with the ACC championship being won by two unranked SEC teams.

Then rivalry week came. Ingram got COMPLETELY shut down, and McCoy put up some stellar numbers in a track meet against A&M. A lot of people (myself included) figured that McCoy had locked up the award.

Then came championship week. Then things got really weird:

1. Ingram put up big numbers--3 TDs & 180 total yards, including a game changing 67 yard reception--against the top rated defense in the nation.

2. McCoy not only had a bad game, but almost literally threw the game and the MNC away in an act of sheer stupidity.

3. In that same game, Suh finally had a signature moment, grabbing McCoy and basically flinging him back ten yards.

That left it pretty much wide open--which is more or less how the voting played out. If you don't think Ingram was the best player this year, fine--but it's silly to say that he was completely undeserving.

Eielson
12/15/2009, 08:30 PM
lets hope the heisman curse continues and texas can win the NC. I know that doesnt really help us, but the more we can take away from the "SEC" the better. I do not want espn to just keep gushing over that conference. Its rediculous so texas needs to take some air out of that balloon. It will help us in recruiting if the big xii can get some national love

NO! I won't cheer for Texas. This is an outrage!

Eielson
12/15/2009, 08:32 PM
First of all, Ingram only had two down games, against Arkansas and Auburn.

How many great games did he have? I don't mean good.

Eielson
12/15/2009, 08:34 PM
o wtf...

nobody bitched about how the heisman was given out last year...

get. over. it.

There was nothing to bitch about. Bradford was the best player, and he showed he was deserving week after week.