PDA

View Full Version : Thug U on ESPN...

delhalew
12/12/2009, 10:28 PM
Reminding me were all of my hatred for those no class punks came from.

The eighties were my formative years. My distaste for that program knows no bounds.

caleou1
12/12/2009, 10:38 PM

The eighties were my formative years. My distaste for that program knows no bounds.

I am not old enough to know these Miami teams but I am learning to hate them as many folks do.

MyT Oklahoma
12/12/2009, 10:39 PM
I am not old enough to know these Miami teams but I am learning to hate them as many folks do.

Welcome to the club.

AlbqSooner
12/12/2009, 10:40 PM
Michael Irvin made a poignant statement. When some players were quoted as saying the hatred for Thug U was racially motiviated, he said, "Nahhhh, it wasn't racial. We were baaadd boys." He was right.

delhalew
12/12/2009, 10:44 PM
Michael Irvin made a poignant statement. When some players were quoted as saying the hatred for Thug U was racially motiviated, he said, "Nahhhh, it wasn't racial. We were baaadd boys." He was right.

I heard that. My thoughts were "hey, at least Irvin is honest with himself".

tommieharris91
12/12/2009, 10:49 PM
Gotta love Randy Shannon giving out money for hits.

Soonerus
12/12/2009, 10:52 PM
They created the celebration penalty, the taunting penalty and others...they sucked...

Soonerus
12/12/2009, 10:55 PM
I went to some of those games, it was criminal...

tommieharris91
12/12/2009, 11:00 PM
Ohh hell they didn't even talk about their best team. 2001 Miami was frickin STACKED.

soonerboy
12/12/2009, 11:02 PM
The bad part is, is that if OU just went out there and started punching people and doing pelvic thrusts at people, they would take away our football program.

Crucifax Autumn
12/12/2009, 11:08 PM

Same here. Absolute disgust for them.

delhalew
12/12/2009, 11:08 PM
I don't see how you are a dynasty because you dominate a decade(in which we got a NC).

To me the consistency of the Sooners is a REAL dynasty.

Spanish Sooner
12/12/2009, 11:09 PM
Wouldn't be nice if we could hold on to our home winning streak for just 29 more games...I know it would take roughly 4 and a half seasons, but it'd be nice

delhalew
12/12/2009, 11:22 PM
we are at 30 games now, right?

spatton713
12/12/2009, 11:37 PM
would love to own the longest winning streak and home winning streak

sooner59
12/13/2009, 02:45 AM
WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!

Flagstaffsooner
12/13/2009, 04:08 AM
Mr scumbag
http://thebsreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/johnson_jimmy.jpg

unbiasedtruth
12/13/2009, 05:54 AM
Jimmy Johnson left Okie State and within a year or two the NCAA investigated the Poke football program, 4 years of probation followed..... when Miami was investigated under Erickson all the NCAA could investigate was JJ's last year there in 88 do to the NCAA can only go back 5 years. If I remember the report correctly Erickson was still doing what JJ did under his coaching tenure.

By far JJ was one of the "dirtiest" coaches in college football.... I mean what can you say about the guy when he divorces his wife, disowns his 2 sons and then say in college you need a wife and kids to portray that "family" image, in the pros they are another obstacle in the way of winning the superbowl.

That is basically a direct quote from a JJ interwiew with the Dallas Morning News in 92 or 93...

bluedogok
12/13/2009, 12:14 PM
It was funny to see JJ struggle with the Dolphins...it was the first time in all of his years of coaching (pro or college) that he ever had to deal with a salary cap.

Funky G
12/13/2009, 12:22 PM
Crime and unsportsmanlike conduct were justified as "swagger". Miami was the example of what can happen when sportsmanship and lack of character can become if you let it run rampant.

IronHorseSooner
12/13/2009, 01:57 PM
It actually all started with Smellsofbourbon. Now, Miami did have some guys who didn't fit the criminal persona, who were good guys- Bernie Kosar and Jim Kelly.

I just might despise Miami as much as UTerus. Also, it wasn't a racial thing. They had an MLB who reminded me of a hockey goon, and they had a loudmouth OL who is now a sports talk guy down here in Tampa. They were both white.

yermom
12/13/2009, 02:02 PM
i hold Miami and Texas in about the same regard

IronHorseSooner
12/13/2009, 02:08 PM
i hold Miami and Texas in about the same regard

My next tier would be ND, OSU, FLA, SUC, and West "by-God" Virginia.

Soonersince57
12/13/2009, 03:11 PM
Mr scumbag
http://thebsreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/johnson_jimmy.jpg

This. The players wouldn't have done it without the coaches letting it happen.

delhalew
12/13/2009, 04:22 PM
And today espn classic shows the 88 orange bowl.

These ****ers have got my blood boiling again.

nBoSTP
12/13/2009, 04:28 PM
To have to hear the Hurricanes say they dominated the 88 Orange Bowl was sickening. I still feel to this day had jamelle Holieway not been injured that OU would have won that game in a rout.

delhalew
12/13/2009, 04:52 PM
BTW...lol at the fumbleruski.

OUEarl
12/13/2009, 08:11 PM
Kosar sounded like he was drunk every time he talked..... and Lamar Thomas is and always will be a no good thug!!

yermom
12/13/2009, 08:20 PM
i didn't really know the 2 Live Crew stuff

delhalew
12/13/2009, 08:25 PM
i didn't really know the 2 Live Crew stuff

I loved Cambell's Quotes..."would I give a kid some money to buy some jeans and a shirt? Naw, I wouldn't do that. (wink wink) Would I give a kid fifty bucks to get some food on the weekend...Naw man...I wouldn't do that(nudge nudge)."

Priceless!!!

SunnySooner
12/13/2009, 08:28 PM
I hated Thug U...then I went to the OU game down there this year...now it's more than hate, it's like a disgust, slimy, I-need-to-take-a-shower thing. Nastiest attendees (I won't call them fans, that would be a compliment) on earth. Just really gross. Don't know why anyone would want to cheer for that program. Blech. I think I need some Pepto after writing this post.

VA Sooner
12/13/2009, 08:54 PM
I remember the 80's.... tough games and lots of ugliness at the "U".

Randy Shannon is changing that image, I thought. Somebody stating he's shelling out money for hits? Truth?

delhalew
12/13/2009, 08:56 PM
I remember the 80's.... tough games and lots of ugliness at the "U".

Randy Shannon is changing that image, I thought. Somebody stating he's shelling out money for hits? Truth?

I thought they meant while he was an assistant.

sooneron
12/13/2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah, he's totally cleaning up Tha U now! (wink wink)

rawlingsHOH
12/13/2009, 10:42 PM
I loved that episode last night.

All of their WRs were total cartoon characters. They just simpled merged into the same over-the-top, outlandish, gangsta-talkin act.

Horace Copeland, Randall Hill, Dale Dawkins, Lamar Thomas, Wesley Carroll

The six-guns at the Cotton Bowl was classic! Can't ever remember which character pulled that one off.

"The Ruthless Posse", LOL!

delhalew
12/13/2009, 11:03 PM
Because they were so over the top with their "swagger" all of college football gets saddled with the celebration penalty...fvckholes!

tulsaoilerfan
12/13/2009, 11:39 PM
Hell over half their National Championships were won on their home field; think OU might have a few more if we got to play for a title at Owen Field?

rawlingsHOH
12/13/2009, 11:47 PM
Hell over half their National Championships were won on their home field; think OU might have a few more if we got to play for a title at Owen Field?

Yep, ridiculous.

nBoSTP
12/14/2009, 08:34 AM
What amazed me watching that was the Michael Irvin actually seems to be the most mature person of the whole group. Most of their players appear to have the same immature attitude as when they attended Thug U.

TUSooner
12/14/2009, 09:28 AM
What amazed me watching that was the Michael Irvin actually seems to be the most mature person of the whole group. Most of their players appear to have the same immature attitude as when they attended Thug U.

I noticed this in the few minutes I watched. When Irvin said that there was no conspiracy and that the Thug-Us were bad and enjoying being bad boys, I knew I had seen the only worthwhile part of the show. Those Miami teams were the nadir of CFB, the root of lots of present trouble. I blame Jimmie Johnson and Muhammad Ali.

And I still don't like Irvin as a commentator, especially alongside Deion Sanders - too much of the same thing.

rawlingsHOH
12/14/2009, 09:57 AM

I thought the interviews were kind of funny too. A bunch of 40 year-old men still sounding like they were 19. Of course that was what the director was gunning for, to show the swag.

sooneron
12/14/2009, 10:02 AM
I still have a hard time believing that Irvin "earned" a degree there. Is there a remedial degree program or something?

GrapevineSooner
12/14/2009, 10:16 AM
That 30 in 30 series is absolute greatness. And I don't normally say that about anything pertaining to the WWL.

This episode reminded me just how much I used to hate Jimmy Johnson. Amazing what winning three Super Bowls for the Cowboys did for his image in my eyes. :D

jkjsooner
12/14/2009, 03:09 PM

Or if we didn't have to play Miami in Miami, Kansas in KC, LSU in New Orleans, or Florida in Miami. Not to mention how we overcame the advantage FSU had in 2000.

The only national title game that was actually a neutral field was USC. Okay, maybe not a great example....

Seriously, when I see people complain about the lack of sportsmanship from today's athlete, I'll remind them to watch this show. You don't see anything close to what Miami did in the '80s today. A lot of it is the rules of course but nevertheless you don't see it.

Did you guys catch the brawl in the '86 game against us? I remember the game and the "bye bye Bosworth" chant but I didn't remember the brawl. One 'Cane player ran in and did a dive into the crowd of players punching all the way down. It was some crazy stuff.

tulsaoilerfan
12/14/2009, 09:49 PM
That 30 in 30 series is absolute greatness. And I don't normally say that about anything pertaining to the WWL.

This episode reminded me just how much I used to hate Jimmy Johnson. Amazing what winning three Super Bowls for the Cowboys did for his image in my eyes. :D

Hate to tell you but Jimmy only won 2; the King won the other 1 :)

tulsaoilerfan
12/14/2009, 09:50 PM
I still have a hard time believing that Irvin "earned" a degree there. Is there a remedial degree program or something?

That's racist!!!!!!;)

spatton713
12/14/2009, 09:56 PM
haha