PDA

View Full Version : Cincy setting up interviews

owenfieldreams
12/12/2009, 09:41 AM
The Houston Chronicle is reporting that the AD @ UH has given Cincinnati permission to interview Kevin Sumlin.

I am not sure I'd take the job if I were in Sumlin's shoes. Other than the better conference (Big East) why would you leave the Cougars for a job @ what has traditionally been a basketball school?

Sumlin is about to sign a new contract with UH. I'd sign it and as I continue to have success, wait until a really big job opens up.

Sonner magic923
12/12/2009, 10:09 AM
ya probably more than anything hes using this interview as leverage to get more money in that contract from UH

MojoRisen
12/12/2009, 10:59 AM
I was just at Cinci for the Ill game and the facilities there have really improved and there are about 36000 students! They sell beer in the stadium and it gets pretty loud! Keep in mind the recruiting base in ohio especially souther Ohio and Kentucky will go to Cinci. They used to pay Huggins over 2million a year - maybe not a bad move - Houston has much better weather though if the money were to be similar.

Harry Beanbag
12/12/2009, 11:01 AM
Cincinnati is a better job than Houston. It's in a BCS conference and was one loss by Texas away from the national championship game.

owenfieldreams
12/12/2009, 11:09 AM
UH is working on upgrading their facilities and they obviously have the option of using Reliant. From a recruiting standpoint, if Sumlin could get the top 22 in just the Houston metro area every year, he'd compete for the NC.

UH is at least as big as Cincy in terms of enrollment & I think the contract will be more than adequate. They're both commuter schools. My point is that he's going to have continued success @ Houston and the really big job will come sooner than later so why take an interim step and risk doing poorly and thereby hurtng his chances when that big job comes along.

My guess is that the T A&M job will be available in the next 3-5 years, maybe the LSU job. I promise you, he will be a candidate for both should they open up. What about CU? He'd be perfect there & Hawkins is on thin ice. Sumlin has far more potential than Cincy.

TXBOOMER
12/12/2009, 12:46 PM
Sumlin needs to wait on a Pac 10, SEC or good Big 12 (aTm) job to open.

JLEW1818
12/12/2009, 12:47 PM
Sumlin needs to wait on a Pac 10, SEC or good Big 12 (aTm) job to open.

Kansas?

TXBOOMER
12/12/2009, 12:49 PM
Kansas?

Maybe. With his strong recruiting ties in Houston aTm is stupid for not hiring him now.

JLEW1818
12/12/2009, 01:04 PM
yah, I'm sure they will give Sherman 1 more year

a bowl win over Georgia would be big.. but i don't see it happening

TXBOOMER
12/12/2009, 01:28 PM
yah, I'm sure they will give Sherman 1 more year

a bowl win over Georgia would be big.. but i don't see it happening

They will but all that is doing is delaying the inevitable. Sumlin is a perfect fit for them. I hope they don't get him. We can't win in Lubbock we don't need to add College Station on the list. I think they would beat texass as much as texass beats them immediately if Sumlin comes in there.

soonerboy
12/12/2009, 06:35 PM
Ya if they sold beer in Norman again, place would be nuts

Spanish Sooner
12/12/2009, 06:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4737118

Looks like Cincy couldn't even get Sumlin to interview.

delhalew
12/12/2009, 06:44 PM
I believe Cincy might be screwed. Sucks that Kelly is bailing before the bowl...kind of a bitch move.

TheUnnamedSooner
12/12/2009, 06:50 PM
I believe Cincy might be screwed. Sucks that Kelly is bailing before the bowl...kind of a bitch move.

It's normal practice now a days. They got to get a start on recruiting. I remember when Stoops came here, he waited until after the Gators bowl though.

delhalew
12/12/2009, 06:53 PM
How many BCS bowl games are the Bearcats likely to see? Notre Dame being the arrogant idiots they are refused a bowl game... so Kelly could do the right thing...if he were so inclined.

TXBOOMER
12/12/2009, 07:24 PM
In reality the dude has no choice. A bunch of fat Charlie's recruits will be waffling. Kelly has got to recruit them to lock them in or go get some more etc. Now Cincy's recruits will be waffling. It is all about recruiting. This shows only one bowl means anything. If we had playoffs these dudes wouldn't be going anywhere until they get knocked out.

Breadburner
12/12/2009, 10:15 PM
Sumlin should stay aty Houston.......

Jacie
12/13/2009, 12:34 PM
Maybe Houston is better, Sumlin has chosen not to interview.

bluedogok
12/13/2009, 12:51 PM
Houston is a better situation if you are looking to go to a top tier job, he knows what he has at Houston. He has recruits coming in, they are building facilities, he is in a winnable conference and what seems like a much better situation for continued success. Cincy is like a Louisville, a second tier job and if you struggle there you doom your chances at a top tier job and payday...just ask Kragthorpe about leaving what you know for what is perceived as a better job. No doubt Petrino leaves messes in his wake, but I think Cincy could be a similar situation to Louisville, the right coach can do well but expectations seem to have risen higher than what they can consistently achieve.

IronHorseSooner
12/13/2009, 02:15 PM
Kelly has won everywhere he has been. I doubt he will be able to turn around ND in one or even two years. Once he gets his guys, they could be really good. Remember, Cincy had to replace their entire D this year. When we played them, they were a better defensive team, and their QBs were like Spinal Tap drummers last year (or like OUr OL this year, same difference).

Now, Coach Sumlin would be great for a place like Tech, when Leach leaves, or A&M when they run Sherman out of town. If Bob were to ever leave, he would be at the top of OUr list, I guar-an-darn-tee it!

Sooner-N-KS
12/13/2009, 05:22 PM
I would love to see OU play against a MeerKat offense in Cincinnati next year.......just sayin'.