PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 30 For 30 Films: The Best That Never Was

Okie35
12/12/2009, 04:28 AM
http://30for30.espn.com/film/the-best-that-never-was.html

I've heard of Marcus Dupree but he's a few years before my time. I never got to see this guy play or anything till earlier when I saw youtube clips. I can't wait to watch this whenever its out next year.

Crucifax Autumn
12/12/2009, 04:37 AM
He had more raw talent than probably anyone who ever played running back. It's truly tragic that he wasn't ready in the maturity department. The guy would have been a legend and perhaps the best ever.

Leroy Lizard
12/12/2009, 04:57 AM
We shouldn't get too down on him. He was a solid contributor that probably saved OU football on the short term.

Flagstaffsooner
12/12/2009, 08:02 AM
We shouldn't get too down on him. He was a solid contributor that probably saved OU football on the short term.That is the stupedest thing that you have ever said. He was a lazy bum.

MeMyself&Me
12/12/2009, 08:30 AM

I've heard of Marcus Dupree but he's a few years before my time. I never got to see this guy play or anything till earlier when I saw youtube clips. I can't wait to watch this whenever its out next year.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm old enough to remember everyone talking about him but too young to have any memories of seeing him play. I've been watching these 30 for 30 documentaries and they're really good. I'll be looking forward to this one.

Partial Qualifier
12/12/2009, 11:34 AM
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm old enough to remember everyone talking about him but too young to have any memories of seeing him play.

Think AD-like god given ability -- maybe more gifted than AD, as crazy as that sounds, it's probably true -- but with a poor work ethic and emotional issues.

Partial Qualifier
12/12/2009, 11:40 AM
qg2bHHY3d84

sigh.

swardboy
12/12/2009, 11:41 AM
Let me guess this script: Evil major football power led by corrupt coach manipulates pure boy of sec country to come to the darkside......

delhalew
12/12/2009, 11:51 AM
I remember Marcus vividly. I was 7 years old and already a Sooner like my father before me.

Leroy Lizard
12/12/2009, 12:18 PM
That is the stupedest thing that you have ever said. He was a lazy bum.

Yeah, so what? He isn't the first player to be lazy and unambitious. But he didn't get busted by the FBI. He didn't write a hit piece on OU athletics. So why are we dogging him 25 years after the fact?

No, if you want to see a total waste of talent that deserves all the criticism one can dish out, focus on a certain QB from Lawton.

A Sooner in Texas
12/12/2009, 12:23 PM
I remember the first time I saw Marcus break a long run - the hairs stood up on the back of my neck, he was so electrifying. When he was good, he was pure joy to watch. He could have been one of the truly great ones, but he threw it all away.

rawlingsHOH
12/12/2009, 12:29 PM
We shouldn't get too down on him. He was a solid contributor that probably saved OU football on the short term.

How did he save OU football?

Partial Qualifier
12/12/2009, 12:38 PM
yeah, I'm not getting that either.

My most vivid Dupree memories are of that Fiesta Bowl against ASU, and the time my dad and I went to a red/write game while Dupree was there. My memory isn't the greatest but I believe Dupree held himself out of the game because of a minor injury. I remember him standing near the endzone by himself for much of the game, wearing a purple polo shirt and jeans. Everyone was disappointed he wasn't playing.

1890MilesToNorman
12/12/2009, 12:39 PM
He had talent coming out his wazoo, Marcus really had everything going for him except for a weak constitution. It's a shame what happened and I have often wondered where his stats would have rated among the best in football for a full career. Truly a superstar but only for a brief moment in history.

Leroy Lizard
12/12/2009, 01:52 PM
On the short term = the season. My memory is fuzzy, but I remember OU being in some trouble until Marcus started. Maybe I'm wrong.

mehip
12/12/2009, 02:01 PM
Think of AD and Billy Sims rolled into one with more moves and speed but a ****ty attitude and there you have Dupree.

Blues1
12/12/2009, 02:21 PM
JMHO - A few more TD's (5 or 6 ) in his freshman year could have won the Heisman as a Freshman ~ or at least been in New York....Blazing SPEED - Gebhart POWER Plus - Great Vision - More Speed --- Spoiled --- :(

rawlingsHOH
12/12/2009, 03:25 PM
On the short term = the season. My memory is fuzzy, but I remember OU being in some trouble until Marcus started. Maybe I'm wrong.

He maybe changed the outcome of one game in that 8-4 season, a win vs Texas. But much like this season, most of the teams' wins were routs.

Jdog
12/12/2009, 03:31 PM

My most vivid Dupree memories are of that Fiesta Bowl against ASU, and the time my dad and I went to a red/write game while Dupree was there. My memory isn't the greatest but I believe Dupree held himself out of the game because of a minor injury. I remember him standing near the endzone by himself for much of the game, wearing a purple polo shirt and jeans. Everyone was disappointed he wasn't playing.

Arizona State won the game, but Dupree was named the MVP of the game - mainly because he had rushed for 239 rushing yards on only 17 carries, averaging over 14 yards per carry - all in the first 32 minutes of the game.
He had several injury's during the game, a broken finger, an ankle injury, a rib injury --- but he left because of a pulled hamstring. He set the rushing record for yards in the Fiesta Bowl - in just 2 quarters!

rawlingsHOH
12/12/2009, 03:31 PM
Think of AD and Billy Sims rolled into one with more moves and speed but a ****ty attitude and there you have Dupree.
AD is the best.

Dupree was unreal too, but like with everything the legend kinda grows with time. He must be up to about 250 lbs, and down to a 4.2 second 40 time by now. LOL

Jdog
12/12/2009, 03:37 PM

I think the first game he played in was the 12-0 lose to USC in Norman - Switzer didn't put him in until I think 3 quarter - and as I recall he did ok. That was the SC team with Ronnie Lott and a couple of other future NFL greats.

spatton713
12/12/2009, 03:38 PM
That is the stupedest thing that you have ever said. He was a lazy bum.

haha couldnt agree more

Jdog
12/12/2009, 04:05 PM

As I remember he was a shy quite guy who had never been pushed by any coach before OU. Switzer didn't like his work ethic and Dupree wasn't going to change.

His plan was to win the Heisman Trophy and national championship as a sophmore and then maybe fight the NCAA to come out for the draft. he had a lot of bad advice from a hometown Attorney back in Mississippi.

After the sooners lost to Texas in his sophmore year he gave up and left school claiming to be home sick. His room mate, Spencer Tilliman said several times during the week after the Texas game that Marcus would be coming back. Then Dupree tried to gain admission to University of Southern Mississippi. he left there after three months because he would have to sit out the 1984 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

He was the first and maybe only sophomore to leave College for the pros when he joined the New Orleans Breakers (moved later to Portland).
His career almost ended early in the 84 when he sustained a bad Knee injury.
In 1990 Walter Payton talked him into a come back - with the Rams - where he played for two years - but was never the same.

Salt City Sooner
12/12/2009, 04:31 PM
I think the first game he played in was the 12-0 lose to USC in Norman - Switzer didn't put him in until I think 3 quarter - and as I recall he did ok. That was the SC team with Ronnie Lott and a couple of other future NFL greats.
Lott was w/ the 'niners in '81 (trust me, I'm a Bengals fan, I remember this :( ). The game w/ SC in Norman was in '82.

PLaw
12/12/2009, 11:46 PM

If there was ever a player that could have benefited from the Freshman ineligible rule, it was Marcus Dupree.

I used go watch pre-season, August practices. Invariably, Dupree was standing alongside "the Switz" while everybody else was bustin' their tails. Yeah, MD was not a practice player, but we're talking "practice".

MD could have been the greatest evar, period. Not Owens, not Sims, not AD. He just didn't have the work ethic to go with the God given physical talent.

BOOMER

tulsaoilerfan
12/13/2009, 12:48 AM
You need to read Switzer's book to find out exactly what Marcus was like; the King devotes a whole chapter to him i believe

SOONER44EVER
12/13/2009, 01:43 AM
AD is the best.

Dupree was unreal too, but like with everything the legend kinda grows with time. He must be up to about 250 lbs, and down to a 4.2 second 40 time by now. LOL

More like 6-2, 235 and ran a 4.35 40. If Dupree would have had his head on straight he would now be known as the best running back of all time. Yes...............even better than AD.

sooneron
12/13/2009, 10:07 PM
AD is the best.

Not necessarily, if Marcus works out like AD. He's the best ever. Ridiculous God given talent. He was Hershel, Billy, AD and Earl rolled into one. Unfortunately, he was a lazy dumbass.

Sooner04
12/13/2009, 10:57 PM
That run against Missouri in '82 was an all-timer. Wasn't their safety an All-Big 8 sprinter? The guy's the most talented RB we ever had at OU.

KFovA5v20GE

picasso
12/13/2009, 11:03 PM
He could style some prescription glasses too.

4everasooner
12/13/2009, 11:16 PM
I was there Jan. 1st 1983, the day he quit. I watched it and til this day I still belive he just quit. I saw it in person; not on you tube or some other site, the man could have ran for 400 yds that game, AsU had no clue how to contain this "O". UNTIL HE QUIT. He Quit. Get over it, he quit the SOONERS.

picasso
12/13/2009, 11:19 PM
OU always had a friend in Douglas S. Looney.:rolleyes:

bluedogok
12/13/2009, 11:21 PM
He quit because he showed up at the game too fat from his momma's cooking over Christmas break and constantly ran out of gas. It was still an amazing performance for as little as he actually played.

He was a nice guy, just very immature. He was never made to do anything he didn't want to, in many ways Vince Young reminded me of Marcus when he faced adversity for the first time on the football field with the Titans.

4everasooner
12/13/2009, 11:25 PM
I liked him, no bad feelings. He quit.

SunnySooner
12/13/2009, 11:28 PM
Anybody remember the "Dupree Cam"? During telecasts he had a camera on him alone at all times because you never knew when he was going to bust one for the endzone, and they didn't want to miss any of it. When's the last time you've seen that happen? Uh, never. Just really sad, coulda, woulda, shoulda.

OKC-SLC
12/14/2009, 12:37 AM
The guy's the most talented RB we ever had at OU.

I think you're right.

the_edge
12/14/2009, 01:41 AM
More like 6-2, 235 and ran a 4.35 40. If Dupree would have had his head on straight he would now be known as the best running back of all time. Yes...............even better than AD.

Not necessarily, if Marcus works out like AD. He's the best ever. Ridiculous God given talent. He was Hershel, Billy, AD and Earl rolled into one. Unfortunately, he was a lazy dumbass.

I think the people that say those things about Marcus Dupree must have collectively forgotten about Bo Jackson.

OUDoc
12/14/2009, 09:28 AM
I've mentioned this before, I got to meet Marcus through my brother. A really nice, quiet guy. I really don't have tons of insight other than meeting him. IMO, it seemed he wasn't ready for all the pressure and attention. Plus everything came so easily to him, he didn't/wouldn't put a lot of effort into the game.

sooneron
12/14/2009, 09:41 AM
I think the people that say those things about Marcus Dupree must have collectively forgotten about Bo Jackson.
WRONG.
I remember Bo very fondly and admired his skills. He was great. As far as great college backs, he was considered behind Hershel and should be... Bo also took himself out of games for little nagging injuries like Marcus when other back would not have done so. I can still recall the article in SI about that. They were really hyping the not so well known guy - Dudek, maybe for some shock value, but they raised valid points.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1985/1202_large.jpg

rawlingsHOH
12/14/2009, 10:15 AM

picasso
12/14/2009, 10:29 AM

Bo was 6'1" 230, in the NFL.

Yes he was a man but Marcus was off the charts the day he set foot on campus.

I for one haven't and never will forget about Bo.

MiccoMacey
12/14/2009, 10:46 AM
Not necessarily, if Marcus works out like AD. He's the best ever...

There's a ton of athletes you've never heard of that could make the same claim.

He was an awesome specimen to be sure, but there are tons of awesome specimens who didn't want to put in the work to be "the best ever".

That's what seperates those guys from guys like AD and others who actually have a great work ethic.

rawlingsHOH
12/14/2009, 12:12 PM

He was an awesome specimen to be sure, but there are tons of awesome specimens who didn't want to put in the work to be "the best ever".

That's what seperates those guys from guys like AD and others who actually have a great work ethic.

Exactly!

stoopified
12/14/2009, 12:32 PM
That is the stupedest thing that you have ever said. He was a lazy bum.Alittle cruel but I second your sense of outrage at LL's statement.Spencer Tillman pulled OU together after Dupree pulled the teamapart with his lack of work ethic and selfishness .Tillma (who at the time was a redshirt frosh) called a players meeting after Marcus quit the team following the UT game .OU could have fallen apart but instead pulled together .I have NEVER understood why Dupree is considered by some to be aGREAT Sooner.He played a season and a half and nearly ripped the team apart with his selfishness.Neither he nor Joe Don Looney deserve any mention among the Sooners best.Among the most talented ever?Yes but among the best?Not even close.

Talent-wise Dupree suceeds even AD but in terms of actually being able to reach his potential,AD is lightyears beyond Marcus.I recall being worried about AD because of the way he ran his mouth about his own greatness BEFORE he ever even stepped foot on campus.Thank God AD turned out to be more Tillman than Dupree in terms of maturity.

Leroy Lizard
12/14/2009, 01:15 PM
Alittle cruel but I second your sense of outrage at LL's statement. Spencer Tillman pulled OU together after Dupree pulled the team apart with his lack of work ethic and selfishness .Tillma (who at the time was a redshirt frosh) called a players meeting after Marcus quit the team following the UT game .OU could have fallen apart but instead pulled together .I have NEVER understood why Dupree is considered by some to be aGREAT Sooner.He played a season and a half and nearly ripped the team apart with his selfishness.Neither he nor Joe Don Looney deserve any mention among the Sooners best.Among the most talented ever?Yes but among the best?Not even close.

You misunderstood my point. Marcus didn't average 1.2 yards per carry. When he did play, he helped OU win games.

I had forgotten about the effect on team chemistry, so all in all it was probably unfortunate we recruited him.

But it has been nearly 30 years since he played. Marcus came in, didn't want to do what it took to play at a high level, and the left the team. That's his prerogative, yet 30 years later people are still bagging on him.

There are far more athletes that contributed next to nothing or did outright harm to the school.

Leroy Lizard
12/14/2009, 01:25 PM
Didn't Fred Sims transfer on account of Marcus? ASU, I think.

Jdog
12/14/2009, 01:44 PM
Lott was w/ the 'niners in '81 (trust me, I'm a Bengals fan, I remember this :( ). The game w/ SC in Norman was in '82.

I was at that game - in the upper deck and I took a picture an Usc touchdown Pass.

Ironically, the next year I desperately tried to listen to the Texas game (Dupree's last game) from a rest area above the little municipal golf course heading up Parley's, between Salt Lake and Jeremy Ranch. I lived in PC from late 83 to 85 in a little subdivision down from the 7-11 below what was at the time called Park West.

rawlingsHOH
12/14/2009, 01:58 PM
You misunderstood my point. Marcus didn't average 1.2 yards per carry. When he did play, he helped OU win games.

1.2?

jkjsooner
12/14/2009, 02:11 PM
He had more raw talent than probably anyone who ever played running back. It's truly tragic that he wasn't ready in the maturity department. The guy would have been a legend and perhaps the best ever.

His lack of maturity ended his college career but does that really have anything to do with his injury that (except for a minor comeback) ended his pro career.

Partial Qualifier
12/14/2009, 02:50 PM

I think we're getting a little bit mired in the semantics of this discussion. Based on talent only, he could've been the greatest ever. Emphasis on "could've". HOWEVER -- there have been tons of awesome specimens before & since Marcus who didn't jump off the screen as a freshman quite like he did.

Hell, look at it this way: even with the bad work ethic, the skipping practices and the emotional issues.... dude didn't start until the 4th game of his true freshman season, and finished the season with 905 yards on 129 carries with 13 touchdowns for a 7.8 yard per carry average. And looked like Superman doing it. And on an otherwise lackluster Sooner squad, he ran for 239 yards on only 17 carries (14ypc average) in the bowl game, while banged up with various injuries. And ASU's defense was pretty good.

Just saying, he was more than "potential".

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/14/2009, 04:52 PM

Correction. He held himself out because he was out of shape.