PDA

View Full Version : Short article about Sam the Man

Collier11
12/11/2009, 03:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4733600

Injury puts '08 season in perspective By Pat Forde

It's been a common question throughout this awful season for the 2008 Heisman Trophy winner and 2009 Heartbreak Trophy winner. Especially this week, with the '09 Heisman about to be awarded.

The answer: He's not doing all that well.

"I used to love Saturdays," Bradford told me. "This year it got to the point where I dreaded Saturdays."

That's because he spent most Saturdays out of shoulder pads -- many of them with his right arm in a sling. That's the same right arm that threw for 4,720 yards and 50 touchdowns last year as Oklahoma won 12 games and advanced to the BCS championship game.

This year, with huge anticipation and expectations, Bradford's body broke down two quarters into the season -- he was knocked out against BYU with a shoulder injury. He returned for a game against Baylor and then a cataclysmic cameo against Texas, bowing out of that huge rivalry game in the first quarter after reinjuring the shoulder.

The look on Bradford's face after the Red River game was dejection personified. Not sure I've ever seen a player so intensely disappointed.

And the disappointment was only amplified with every passing week on the sidelines, as Oklahoma's season crash-landed into mediocrity.

"I know God has a plan and everything happens for a reason," Bradford said. "I kept telling myself that as many times as I could, but you'd still question why things happen the way they happen. It took a long time to stop the questioning. I got better, but there were still a lot of days when I woke up with that question.

"There's still days when I've got to try to pick myself up, days when I'm down. I'm finally starting to get back to myself now."

Bradford said his rehab is going well, and he's on schedule to be physically ready to participate in Oklahoma's Pro Day in 2010. A high draft spot and lucrative contract would help mitigate the physical and emotional pain of this year.

If this season did anything for Bradford, it at least sharpened his appreciation for what he accomplished last year. He will undoubtedly feel some sting watching fellow '08 Heisman finalists Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy return to Manhattan for the award show Saturday night (ESPN, 8 ET). But he'll also feel appreciation for what nobody can ever take away -- his own Heisman.

"It really does put things in perspective," he said. "I'm extremely proud I was able to get there last year. But it's disappointing not to have had the chance to get back there."

badger
12/11/2009, 04:05 PM
Good to hear.

rawlingsHOH
12/11/2009, 04:07 PM
He will undoubtedly feel some sting watching fellow '08 Heisman finalists Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy return to Manhattan for the award show Saturday night (ESPN, 8 ET).

Is Bradford going to go to New York with them?

Collier11
12/11/2009, 04:28 PM
He will be there, all Heisman winners are invited

Monster Zero
12/11/2009, 06:30 PM

I'm sure that Sam will be more gracious to Tebow when Suh gets the trophy and Tebow doesn't than Tebow was to him last year.

ouduckhunter
12/11/2009, 06:30 PM
Nice article. It made me feel even more sad about his season, but it also gave me a whole new respect for him as a person, and as a Christian! Kudos Sam!

SunnySooner
12/11/2009, 06:41 PM
My heart still breaks for Sam. Hope he gets a redonkulously huge payday in the spring, that will make us all feel better.

Widescreen
12/11/2009, 08:39 PM
Not sure I've ever seen a player so intensely disappointed.
At least Sam didn't start crying on the sidelines.

JLEW1818
12/11/2009, 08:52 PM
sucks for Sam

but he still will be a millionaire... ha

AlbqSooner
12/11/2009, 08:56 PM
sucks for Sam

but he still will be a millionaire... ha

MULTI. Sam also has the education and perspective that will allow him to retain more of his money that a lot of NFL players.

JLEW1818
12/11/2009, 09:02 PM
yup, he has many things going for him..

he will never have to pay for sex..... like i do

gotpoi73
12/11/2009, 10:00 PM
we got so damn spoiled with sam. wish we had him for longer, but got an even greater appreciation of his ability watching the games without him. i just hope he doesn't go to the skins

Widescreen
12/11/2009, 10:04 PM
Hmmm. Sam Bradford, Cherokee American. QB for the Redskins.

SunnySooner
12/11/2009, 10:12 PM

All men pay for sex, just many forms of currency.:D :D :D

Crucifax Autumn
12/11/2009, 10:16 PM
I'm broke...Must explain the lack of BJs

Widescreen
12/11/2009, 10:17 PM
I'm broke...Must explain the lack of BJs

Yeah, that's the reason.

;)

Crucifax Autumn
12/11/2009, 10:31 PM
It sure ain't intimidating size! :eek:

SoonerLB
12/11/2009, 11:18 PM
The epitome of suckitude is the fact that Teblow even touches that stage this year, PERIOD! :(

Crucifax Autumn
12/11/2009, 11:37 PM
Maybe he'll cry when he doesn't win.

sooner94
12/12/2009, 12:14 AM

Tiger?.............Is that you?

Desert Sapper
12/12/2009, 01:00 AM
I will be really pissed if Teblow wins another Heisman.

Suh blew me away this year with his performance in key games. He almost single-handedly beat Tejas. Much as I love G-Mac and what he brings to our D-Line, I think Suh is even better, which is Heisman worthy, IMO.

Tuck Febow.

rawlingsHOH
12/12/2009, 10:24 PM

Must not have been up for the travel.

I don't think I've ever seen Jason go.

delhalew
12/12/2009, 10:33 PM
Jason was there for Sam's night last year.

MyT Oklahoma
12/12/2009, 10:38 PM
Good read. Thanks for sharing.

rawlingsHOH
12/12/2009, 11:02 PM
Jason was there for Sam's night last year.

That's right. Owens, Sims (of course), and White were all in attendance last year!