PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Nazis declare war on US

Okla-homey
12/11/2009, 08:35 AM
December 11, 1941: Germany declares war on the United States

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8647/adolfhitler.jpg

68 years ago, on this day in 1941, Adolf Hitler declares war on the United States, bringing America, which had been neutral, into the European conflict.

The bombing of Pearl Harbor surprised even Germany. Although Hitler had made an oral agreement with his Axis partner Japan that Germany would join a war against the United States, he was uncertain as to how the war would be engaged.

Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor answered that question. On December 8, Japanese Ambassador Oshima went to German Foreign Minister von Ribbentrop to nail the Germans down on a formal declaration of war against America.

Von Ribbentrop stalled for time; he knew that Germany was under no obligation to do this under the terms of the Tripartite Pact, which promised help if Japan was attacked, but not if Japan was the aggressor. Von Ribbentrop feared that the addition of another antagonist, the United States, would overwhelm the German war effort.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7643/ribbentropbio.png
Von Ribbentrop

But Hitler thought otherwise. He was convinced that the United States would soon beat him to the punch and declare war on Germany. The U.S. Navy was already attacking German U-boats, and Hitler despised Roosevelt for his repeated verbal attacks against his Nazi ideology.

He also believed that Japan was much stronger than it was, that once it had defeated the United States, it would turn and help Germany defeat Russia. So at 3:30 p.m. (Berlin time) on December 11, the German charge d'affaires in Washington handed American Secretary of State Cordell Hull a copy of the declaration of war.

That very same day, Hitler addressed the Reichstag to defend the declaration. The failure of the New Deal, argued Hitler, was the real cause of the war, as President Roosevelt, supported by plutocrats and Jews, attempted to cover up for the collapse of his economic agenda. "First he incites war, then falsifies the causes, then odiously wraps himself in a cloak of Christian hypocrisy and slowly but surely leads mankind to war," declared Hitler-and the Reichstag leaped to their feet in thunderous applause.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/6653/adolfhitleramericans.jpg

tbl
12/11/2009, 11:29 AM
We will continue to be fascinated by Hitler/Nazism for centuries... So intriguing.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/11/2009, 12:55 PM
I have said it before, but it was the most amazing time in history. You talk about the perfect storm coming together. What an amazing generation that was. Hands down the most amazing part of history is World War II.

NormanPride
12/11/2009, 01:18 PM
Can you imagine if **** was going down like that now? We wouldn't have to wait, we'd be on it like a mocking bird on a crippled june bug.

1890MilesToNorman
12/11/2009, 01:26 PM
I watched the Frank Capra series "Why we fight" a few days ago, very informative about what lead to WWII. I knew most of it but he laid it out in a 7 film series that was awesome. From the early 1940's.

badger
12/11/2009, 02:48 PM
What was probably the most surprising thing about the Hawaii attack by Japan was that there were many Japanese immigrants and Japanese-Americans living in Hawaii at the time. Here's a link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20091207_12_A1_Reggie935555) to the story of one who now lives in Tulsa.

It almost sounds like if Mexico were to attack southern Texas, or California. How would Mexican-Americans, or Mexicans who immigrated to the U.S., and their sons and daughters who were born in the U.S. and lived their entire lives in the U.S., feel about such an attack?

picasso
12/11/2009, 03:13 PM
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7643/ribbentropbio.png
So my bro in law is a cop at a decent sized suburb and he and his peers sometimes place false name tags on their unis to mess with the riff raff. For a while they were using names from ze Hitler regime and I suggested to said BIL that he use Von Ribbentrop.

heh.

picasso
12/11/2009, 03:14 PM
I watched the Frank Capra series "Why we fight" a few days ago, very informative about what lead to WWII. I knew most of it but he laid it out in a 7 film series that was awesome. From the early 1940's.

Capra was good.

SunnySooner
12/11/2009, 06:12 PM
How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris? Dunno, it's never been done. BadaBING!

On a side note, re: U boats, a book called ShadowDivers is a nonfiction account of an unidentified U boat found not far off the Jersey shore in the early 90's, I think, and 2 divers who became obesessed with identifying it and finding out how and when the boat got so close to American shores. Really great read, some great pics of the sub underwater, and yes, the crew's remains were still onboard.

1890MilesToNorman
12/11/2009, 06:16 PM
that U-boat was prolly taken out by a couple of drunken lobstermen.

I've seen it done before. :D

Okla-homey
12/11/2009, 07:34 PM
Can you imagine if **** was going down like that now? We wouldn't have to wait, we'd be on it like a mocking bird on a crippled june bug.

I reckon we'll just have to wait til the jihadists finally manage to nuke Israel or one of our major cities until we wage total war against them. That pre-emptive strike stuff isn't politically popular nowadays.

Fortunately for us, we have some air-launched crowd-pleasers in our nuke inventory that would make short work of every population center in southwest asia if necessary while leaving the oil underneath safe. And the ironic part is, Iraq would probably be left untouched.

sooneron
12/11/2009, 10:00 PM
The failure of the New Deal, argued Hitler, was the real cause of the war, as President Roosevelt, supported by plutocrats and Jews, attempted to cover up for the collapse of his economic agenda. "First he incites war, then falsifies the causes, then odiously wraps himself in a cloak of Christian hypocrisy and slowly but surely leads mankind to war," declared Hitler-and the Reichstag leaped to their feet in thunderous applause.

Sounds like the South Oval board neo-cons today.

picasso
12/12/2009, 12:29 AM
Sounds like the South Oval board neo-cons today.

Hardly. FDR wanted to nationalize everything.

The thing with the American Japanese. Those guys went to war and fought for their country in an aggressive fashion. Hats off to those fellas, they proved their loyalty.