PDA

View Full Version : Looks like no demand for Sun Bowl tickets

cdlbdd
12/10/2009, 02:04 PM
http://soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121009aaa.html

NORMAN, Okla. -- The University of Oklahoma announced today a Tickets for Troops program that will allow fans to purchase tickets for the Sooners' Brut Sun Bowl matchup with Stanford and then donate them to men and women serving in the United State Armed Forces.

The Brut Sun Bowl will be played on Thursday, Dec. 31, at Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso, Texas. Kickoff is set for Noon (MST).

Tickets for Troops can be added to an existing order or denoted at the time an order is placed. Fans who are not attending the game, but would still like to participate in the program are encouraged to do so.

Members of the OU staff will distribute the tickets to military personnel. Most are likely to go to those serving at Fort Bliss, an Army installation near El Paso with an approximate base population of 8,200.

Tickets are $40 each. Orders will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to availability. To donate tickets or purchase personal tickets, fans can order online at SoonerSports.com or call 800-456-GoOU or 405-325-2424.

Collier11
12/10/2009, 03:24 PM
I think this is often done for the lower tier bowls to make sure there are butts in the seats while doing something nice all together

MamaMia
12/10/2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah, but if I buy a ticket for someone stationed at Fort Bliss, will they be rooting for Stanford or Oklahoma? :confused:

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 03:29 PM
Yeah, but if I buy a ticket for someone stationed at Fort Bliss, will they be rooting for Stanford or Oklahoma? :confused:

as an ex military type, i can tell you they will be rooting for getting the hell off the base to do something interesting for about 4 hours lol...

MamaMia
12/10/2009, 04:09 PM
as an ex military type, i can tell you they will be rooting for getting the hell off the base to do something interesting for about 4 hours lol... They aren't allowed to leave the base without football tickets? :confused:

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2009, 04:11 PM
Is anybody going besides me?

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 04:16 PM
They aren't allowed to leave the base without football tickets? :confused:

apparently, you haven't had the priveledge of visiting the lovely vistas surrounding Ft. Bliss...:P

sooner59
12/10/2009, 04:34 PM

Yep I am.

Collier11
12/10/2009, 04:41 PM
I thought about it but the GF wont go

batonrougesooner
12/10/2009, 05:13 PM
This was my thought exactly when I got the email today.

The University is looking for ways to avoid the embarrasment of returning part of our allotment.

btk108
12/10/2009, 05:14 PM

time for a new g/f...or just take Jlew :D

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2009, 05:15 PM

same person

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 05:16 PM

lick'em err sick'em would do nicely as well

Phil
12/10/2009, 05:17 PM
So who wants to give me a ride to the airport after the game? Seriously.

Collier11
12/10/2009, 05:34 PM
same person

just cus you are too easy, I have standards you know

SoonerLB
12/10/2009, 05:37 PM

Prolly Pedro and his seeeester, just pick a Pedro. ;) :D

budbarrybob
12/10/2009, 06:33 PM
That'd be cool if you could buy them and designate them for OU fans. My son is stationed in Ft Bliss and is a huge OU fan. Not going to the game myself. Hmmm could be a X-mas present :)

budbarrybob
12/10/2009, 06:34 PM
On second thought, I'd bet I could give him $20.00 and he could get better seats than what I could get from OU...

cdlbdd
12/10/2009, 06:39 PM
On second thought, I'd bet I could give him $20.00 and he could get better seats than what I could get from OU...

^Without a doubt.^

ELP Sooner
12/10/2009, 07:33 PM
I'll be there.

soonerboy
12/10/2009, 08:02 PM
You have no idea how much flak i take for being a sooner fan down here...jeez
but idc BOOMER SOONER!!!

Sooner5030
12/10/2009, 09:11 PM
I'm at White Sands Missile Range (just north of Fort Bliss) and we are all on block leave at that time. Sucks that I will be in San Diego but this trip was planned before I knew OU was playing in ELP.

If you are coming down stay in either the NW side of El Paso or you can also stay in Las Cruces, NM if you don't mind the drive.

unbiasedtruth
12/10/2009, 09:22 PM
guess I better get my butt in gear and check Southwest from Love to EP. Have to work at 10pm CT on the 31st (as I have for 30+ years way more often than not). if I can get a flight to EP by 10am MT and back to Loveby 8-9pm CT I may just try to go to this game.

AzianSooner
12/10/2009, 10:27 PM
Nosotros no hablan Inglés. Nosotros sólo hablan español. Servimos la carne de perro en el restaurante más famoso. Bienvenido a El Paso. Bienvenido a Sun Bowl. Tornillo de Stanford..

soonerboy
12/10/2009, 10:33 PM
No decimos el inglés. Sólo decimos el español. Servimos la carne de perro en nuestro restaurante más famoso. Bienvenidos a Paso el-. Bienvenidos al Tazón de Sol. Tornillo Stanford.

boy i swear if you get on here again and start speaking canadian we're gonna have problems....

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 10:38 PM
No decimos el inglés. Sólo decimos el español. Servimos la carne de perro en nuestro restaurante más famoso. Bienvenidos a Paso el-. Bienvenidos al Tazón de Sol. Tornillo Stanford.

REALLY?!?! i like chicken too :)

Jdog
12/10/2009, 10:42 PM
no one in DFW wants to go to El Paso because of the gangs across the boarder. Theres really nothing to do if you can't visit the other side of the river?

Some good restaurant like Angelo and Vinci or Fortes - and the place over by the cemetery - but thats about it.

SoonerShark
12/10/2009, 10:54 PM
If OU did not give out such crappy tickets to its season ticket holders and supporters PERHAPS I would buy from them again. Sitting somewhere north of the arctic circle is not something I will pay for again. Until bowls give the fans the best seats they can kiss the a__ that I won't pay to settle on their bleachers.

SoonerShark
12/10/2009, 10:58 PM
I checked on SWA flights. Think I might be better off flying directly to Vegas than taking 5 hours to get to ELP on SWA paying $200.00 each way. Is there a Burro Airlines?
Its motto could be "Take your A__ to El Paso."

SoonerShark
12/10/2009, 11:04 PM
You have no idea how much flak i take for being a sooner fan down here...jeez
but idc BOOMER SOONER!!!

Why would they care? For whom do they root, UTEP is not really a rival. New Mexico State is not a rival. Perhaps the Mexican Drug Cartel is upset at our Meth Labs.

btk108
12/10/2009, 11:29 PM
http://soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121009aaa.html

NORMAN, Okla. -- The University of Oklahoma announced today a Tickets for Troops program that will allow fans to purchase tickets for the Sooners' Brut Sun Bowl matchup with Stanford and then donate them to men and women serving in the United State Armed Forces.

The Brut Sun Bowl will be played on Thursday, Dec. 31, at Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso, Texas. Kickoff is set for Noon (MST).

Tickets for Troops can be added to an existing order or denoted at the time an order is placed. Fans who are not attending the game, but would still like to participate in the program are encouraged to do so.

Members of the OU staff will distribute the tickets to military personnel. Most are likely to go to those serving at Fort Bliss, an Army installation near El Paso with an approximate base population of 8,200.

Tickets are $40 each. Orders will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to availability. To donate tickets or purchase personal tickets, fans can order online at SoonerSports.com or call 800-456-GoOU or 405-325-2424.

If they guarantee they're going to Sooner fans....I'll buy two since I can't go.

VA Sooner
12/11/2009, 12:33 AM
Trying to make arrangements... will be there watching our D take on Gerhart... and stopping Mr. Doak Walker 2009. Should be a nice incentive for our D.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/11/2009, 09:39 AM

I can do it if you need a ride

Phil
12/11/2009, 09:55 AM
I can do it if you need a ride

I do. I'm gonna cab it to the stadium from the airport, but my outbound flight leaves at 5:25, so I'll only have about 2 hours from the end of the game to wheels up for Dallas. Hitching a ride from somebody at the game is gonna be a lot easier and quicker than trying to find a cab or calling one. Thanks, dude. I'll be in touch by PM.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/11/2009, 08:32 PM

Ticket to ride, brother... Call the boys. Tell her you'll be gone a couple-five days or so and that you'll only be in Juarez Ciudad for a couple of donkey shows... :D

sooner59
12/11/2009, 11:39 PM

Not only is my GF going.....she is paying for two nights hotel.

I might keep her around for a little while. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/12/2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah, but if I buy a ticket for someone stationed at Fort Bliss, will they be rooting for Stanford or Oklahoma? :confused:At least they will likely be pro-American!

12/12/2009, 01:02 AM
So who wants to give me a ride to the airport after the game? Seriously.Redacted

12/12/2009, 01:07 AM
I'm at White Sands Missile Range (just north of Fort Bliss) and we are all on block leave at that time. Sucks that I will be in San Diego but this trip was planned before I knew OU was playing in ELP.

If you are coming down stay in either the NW side of El Paso or you can also stay in Las Cruces, NM if you don't mind the drive.Those cattle feed lots out NW are sure stinky. I drove through there labout a week ago.

SoonerBigD
12/12/2009, 11:36 AM
I'll be driving out w/ a buddy I graduated with and our significant others. I'm just excited to be playing Stanford. I've been following them and Gerhart pretty closely all year and I'm interested to see what he does against our D.

soonerboy
12/12/2009, 11:39 AM
Why would they care? For whom do they root, UTEP is not really a rival. New Mexico State is not a rival. Perhaps the Mexican Drug Cartel is upset at our Meth Labs.

dude...have you ever been to texas? austin isn't the only place where texas fans are. ***hat

ELP Sooner
12/12/2009, 12:48 PM
Lots of bandwagon Horn fans here. I wear OU gear almost daily and whenever I get some flack I respond with "who was the head football coach at Texas before Mack Brown?" Lots of blank stares. Bandwagon all the way.

soonerboy
12/12/2009, 03:41 PM
of course they're bandwagon, theres probably a total of three true texas fans in the world...one of them gets on here a lot lidig8r

SoonerMom2
12/12/2009, 09:36 PM

I am going with my brother! Not going to miss the chance to see us win a Bowl Game.

My bet is most of the military will be rooting for the Sooners not Stanford because they know that Oklahomans support our military.

soonerloyal
12/13/2009, 03:38 PM
My bet is most of the military will be rooting for the Sooners not Stanford because they know that Oklahomans support our military.

Who's to say that Stanford doesn't? :confused:

King Barry's Back
12/13/2009, 03:58 PM
Who's to say that Stanford doesn't? :confused:

Just guess on my part, but the Bay Area is not well known for being a hot bed for pro-military sentiments. Just sayin.