PDA

View Full Version : Tramel on Mack v Stoops close games

OUmillenium
12/10/2009, 10:01 AM
Berry Tramel: Texas' Mack Brown is winning the close ones
By Berry Tramel Comments 17
Published: December 10, 2009

Mack Brown received a raise Wednesday. Now he’ll make $5 million a year.

Hefty paycheck. Mack will be the highest-paid coach in college sports, but don’t begrudge him. Somebody’s got to be.

And here’s how Mack became a Texas giant: His record in close games.

Brown’s UT record in games decided by three points or less is an astounding 21-4.

Bob Stoops’ record in games decided by three points or less is 6-9.

A thousand things determine the outcome of a close game. But you can’t ignore 21-4 and 6-9.

Some of that can’t be coincidence. Some of that has to be one coach better preparing his squad for and handling the waning moments of a hotly contested ballgame.

Then came the Big 12 Championship game, with victory finding Texas more than Texas finding victory. Now, who knows what to think.

Brown’s Longhorns beat Nebraska 13-12 despite the worst clock management since Cinderella. Allowing the seconds to tick off to precarious depths and placing Texas’ title hopes in the hands of officials’ clock review? Brown made Les Miles look like a veritable wizard of last-minute strategy.

So I don’t know what to make of Mack’s ability — and Stoops’ inability — to win a majority of his tight games. Dumb luck?

The Sooners lost tight games this season due to the usual suspects: defensive collapse, listless offense and field goal disasters. In other words, the Sooners weren’t clutch.

Stoops’ other narrow defeats have been more colorful. Dubious video replay at Oregon in 2006 and Texas Tech in 2005. Snookered by Boise State. Loss of mind against Ole Miss in 1999, kicking off to Deuce McAllister in the final minute. Cosmic forces in Bedlam 2001.

Of course, three points is an arbitrary standard. Raise it to seven points or less, and records start evening out. Stoops is 17-15 in games decided by seven points or less; Brown is 27-11.

I also ran the numbers on Pete Carroll and Jim Tressel, the other two coaches who arrived in the Stoops/Brown landing and rebuilt established powers.

Carroll is a virtual copy of Stoops’: 6-8 in field-goal games, 19-16 in touchdown games. Tressel is better, though nowhere near as good as Brown.

Brown’s 21-4 record in games decided by three points or less is the best I’ve found this side of Barry Switzer, who was 18-1-4.

But Mack wasn’t so magical at North Carolina and Tulane, where he was 8-9-1 in field-goal games and 21-25-1 in TD games.

No surprise there. Your record ought to be better at Texas than at Tulane and Carolina.

Does clutch coaching even exist? Or are close football games like one-run baseball games, which almost always even out over time?

College football can be too unwieldy to analyze. But the NFL definitely has the parameters necessary to determine if coaches’ record in close games is an indication of their game management.

I ran the records of a variety of NFL coaches. Some recent, some vintage. All successful.

Only two coaches stood out. John Madden and Tony Dungy.

Dungy was 34-17 in field-goal games, a .667 percentage, and 67-43 in touchdown games. Helps to coach half your career with Peyton Manning.

But Peyton Manning didn’t quarterback John Madden’s Oakland Raiders. Long John Madden went 21-6-7 in field-goal games and 46-16-7 in touchdown games.

In a parity-driven league, those are remarkable percentages, .721 and .717.

Madden’s teams somehow had the belief and the training to win close games.

Mack Brown’s teams apparently have the same, even if he did come perilously close to letting the clock strike midnight.

Berry Tramel: 405-760-8080; Berry Tramel can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including AM-640 and FM-98.1.

Read more: http://newsok.com/berry-tramel-texas-mack-brown-is-winning-the-close-ones/article/3423858?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0ZIYLZgF U

rawlingsHOH
12/10/2009, 10:12 AM
Officiating comes up huge in close games. The Austin Mafia generally prevails.

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 10:34 AM
heh barry tramp...

does he realize this record...6-9 has come at the hands of some terrible fate? 4 of the 9 have come this year with a QB at the helm that is nowhere close to being able to command this limping offense.
2 came from the 2007 season in which we had an injury to the commander of the juggernaut offense (even though he was also a freshman at that point) and a royal screwing in lubbock (he's in are you?)
2 came from the 2006 season one of which we got an *** raping of biblical proportions at oregon...i dont even have to say why... and a statue of liberty/hook and lateral/fumblerooski with a converted WR at the helm because of a dumb *** QB that got booted.

in my book, maybe im making excuses, that makes us 14-1 in games decided by 3 or less... the close games we have lost have been some of the weirdest things ive seen in college football period. seriosuly. a rb that is obviously down before he goes across the goal line... a fantom fumble recovery in oregon (among other things) anyway, no use in spending more time on this subject. he did what he needed to do. get us to read him.

OUDoc
12/10/2009, 11:01 AM
Most of our games are blow outs. Why didn't he point out that, for some reason, Mack has been in 25 "close" games? Bob's only had 15.
Why can't Mack blow people out?

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 11:08 AM
Most of our games are blow outs. Why didn't he point out that, for some reason, Mack has been in 25 "close" games? Bob's only had 15.

cause he too busy blowing "in"

:D

for you slower ones, that would be "sucking"

primetime43
12/10/2009, 11:14 AM
Even when we have evidence.http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8812/ouducked.jpg

TUSooner
12/10/2009, 11:16 AM

My thoughts, as well. ^^^^ :D

And Jello, Tramel DID mention at least some those quirks (like the Oregon screw job) as factors in OU's close losses.

My overall impression is that Tramel's words exceed his thoughts by several fold. But perhaps that is an occupational hazard, because most sports writers and talkers display the same excess of words and shortage of thoughts.

goingoneight
12/10/2009, 12:21 PM

Just look at that... OUr entire team is up and pointing, and/or looking at AP. A bunch of Duck players and a moron ref digging around for the invisible football. Reggie knows it, Nic and MK aren't exactly scrambling in the pile for it... and lookie what AP found!!!

Jmorales22
12/10/2009, 08:47 PM
While the touchdown at the end was questionable, I think we need to as a group stop harking on that, because that was not the screwjob of the TT game. The screwjob was the free yard that texas tech got on 4th down of that drive. That was very clear, far more egregious, and the call should have ended the game right there.

tulsaoilerfan
12/10/2009, 09:41 PM

That game still amazes me; not only did they get the replay wrong but Oregon never even recovered the ball:mad:

sooner ngintunr
12/10/2009, 09:42 PM
for the tenth time this year Ive heard this crap. BT needs some new stuff.

VA Sooner
12/11/2009, 12:38 AM
Still kills me.

I like the title of that JPG... "OU Ducked"

rawlingsHOH
12/11/2009, 09:44 AM
for the tenth time this year Ive heard this crap. BT needs some new stuff.

He's stealing his "material" off internet message boards again. Nothing new here.

freakhorn
12/11/2009, 10:09 AM
blah blah blah. sooners never lose a game because they have the biggest book of excuses in college football. get over it. mack daddy is better.

MiccoMacey
12/11/2009, 10:13 AM
I'd rather be 6-9 in field goal games than 0-2 in seven touchdown games.

63-14

64-13

Jello Biafra
12/11/2009, 10:17 AM
blah blah blah. sooners never lose a game because they have the biggest book of excuses in college football. get over it. mack daddy is better.

whatever...

id wish i knew where you lived. i would duck tape you to the ground and let my 6 year old waffle stomp the shiite out of you.

rawlingsHOH
12/11/2009, 11:42 AM
blah blah blah. sooners never lose a game because they have the biggest book of excuses in college football.

That such a tired angle the typical horn likes to play.

I don't hear excuses about the officiating in the Miami game, or BYU, or Nebraska, or Tech, etc, etc, etc.

But when it's rogue, I call it out. Austin Mafia, so corrupt.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Show_Article/0,2322,1514,00.html

TUSooner
12/11/2009, 04:10 PM
While the touchdown at the end was questionable, I think we need to as a group stop harking on that, because that was not the screwjob of the TT game. The screwjob was the free yard that texas tech got on 4th down of that drive. That was very clear, far more egregious, and the call should have ended the game right there.

I heartily agree with this. But the screw job is long over and done, so..... :(

gotpoi73
12/11/2009, 09:48 PM
heh barry tramp...

does he realize this record...6-9 has come at the hands of some terrible fate? 4 of the 9 have come this year with a QB at the helm that is nowhere close to being able to command this limping offense.
2 came from the 2007 season in which we had an injury to the commander of the juggernaut offense (even though he was also a freshman at that point) and a royal screwing in lubbock (he's in are you?)
2 came from the 2006 season one of which we got an *** raping of biblical proportions at oregon...i dont even have to say why... and a statue of liberty/hook and lateral/fumblerooski with a converted WR at the helm because of a dumb *** QB that got booted.

in my book, maybe im making excuses, that makes us 14-1 in games decided by 3 or less... the close games we have lost have been some of the weirdest things ive seen in college football period. seriosuly. a rb that is obviously down before he goes across the goal line... a fantom fumble recovery in oregon (among other things) anyway, no use in spending more time on this subject. he did what he needed to do. get us to read him.

Bravo Jello!

huskerland
12/11/2009, 10:27 PM
blah blah blah. sooners never lose a game because they have the biggest book of excuses in college football. get over it. mack daddy is better. I think the close game last second wins are about running out for Macks crew! watch it happen starting with the Alabama game. All lucky rolls come to an end. Starting now! You should be ashamed to come on an OU board and antagonize the faithfull!
:pop:

Crucifax Autumn
12/11/2009, 10:41 PM
That such a tired angle the typical horn likes to play.

I don't hear excuses about the officiating in the Miami game, or BYU, or Nebraska, or Tech, etc, etc, etc.

But when it's rogue, I call it out. Austin Mafia, so corrupt.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Show_Article/0,2322,1514,00.html

In the linked story Bible and the other guy seem to be crying about all the abuse they bring on themselves. And they want this sympathy because they make, as mentioned in the article, 100,000 to 200,000 dollars a year to referee 13 games or so...on mostly Saturdays...and they get to watch the games free from the field!

Sorry, but I have no pity for the c*cksmokers when they get slammed for not being able to make the right calls.

And on the subject of the thread...Tramel can join Bible in the ranks of people I refer to as c*cksmokers! :rolleyes:

sooner ngintunr
12/11/2009, 11:04 PM
mack daddy?? really?

Jacie
12/12/2009, 05:41 PM

So we can never again remind you of these Mack Classics?

We ran out of time.

It was the wind.

But hey, the whorns never make excuses. Everytime they lose it is because the other guys cheated.

Example: Close game versus the nebbish, must be because that cheater Brent Venables told them how to pressure Ponyboy.

VA Sooner
12/12/2009, 06:48 PM
Whoa.... 100-200k a year? Seriously?

General Applewhite
12/12/2009, 07:55 PM
Mack is about to have two national titles......that will make the Mack/Stoops comparisons a lot less interesting.......

MiccoMacey
3/14/2011, 08:44 AM
Mack is about to have two national titles......that will make the Mack/Stoops comparisons a lot less interesting.......

Hahahahahaha...just found this little gem at the bottom.

Makes last year's implosion by Texas just that more laughable.

Sorry to re-hash an old topic. It's a little over a year old.

Wishboned
3/14/2011, 09:35 AM
Let's look at some stats that really matter.

Stoops is 129-31 in his time as OU's head coach.

Mack, during that same time period is 123-31.

Why has Stoops coached 6 more games during that time period?

Well it could be that Stoops has coached in 8 Big 12 Championship games, and won 7. Compare that with Mack who has coached in 4 and won only 2.

(Did not notice this was an old topic...oops.)

OUMonster
3/14/2011, 09:55 AM
Why is 3 points the threshold of a close game? Is a 4 or 5 point game not close? Something tells me Berry picked 3 as the arbitrary number because the scale tips in Stoops' favor as that threshold is increased.

2009 didn't do us any favors with the numerous one-point losses with a good fraction of our star players injured. Congrats to Mack for losing by wider margins to worse teams under similar circumstances thus eliminating those losses from Berry's discussion.

Would Stoops be a better "clutch" coach in Berry's eyes if OU had lost by 21 to BYU and Miami while winning by only 2 points against Connecticut, OSU, Baylor, Iowa St, etc?

47straight
3/14/2011, 10:41 AM
Bump of the month!

Aldebaran
3/14/2011, 11:35 AM
Mack is also way ahead of Stoops in number of yellow teeth.

Leroy Lizard
3/14/2011, 11:41 AM
But Mack wasn’t so magical at North Carolina and Tulane, where he was 8-9-1 in field-goal games and 21-25-1 in TD games.

No surprise there. Your record ought to be better at Texas than at Tulane and Carolina.

Why?

Breadburner
3/14/2011, 11:43 AM
Lol....@minorapplewhite......!!!

Leroy Lizard
3/14/2011, 11:43 AM
Why is 3 points the threshold of a close game? Is a 4 or 5 point game not close?

Because a FG ties or wins.

MyT Oklahoma
3/14/2011, 12:12 PM
NEW FLASH! Trammel on Mack v Bob and 5-7 seasons.

Mack has had one and Bob doesn't do any. ;)

End of story.

JLEW1818
3/14/2011, 12:31 PM
mack sucks

horns suck

5 wins this year. 1 million per win

nice

Jacie
3/14/2011, 01:03 PM
For the record:

Bob Stoops is now 9-9 in games decided by 3 points or less.

In 5 victories and 7 defeats, Mack Brown, managed to keep the margin in all 12 of sa*et's games above 3 points. He did not win or lose any close ones, thus he is still 21-4 in those.

For now Bob must concede this particular statistic . . . advantage Mack.

Lott's Bandana
3/14/2011, 01:09 PM

This^

Tramel pulled a stinky one out of his colo this time.

MyT Oklahoma
3/15/2011, 12:59 PM
Okie dokie.. it looks pretty official to me. We're keeping Bob.

Sorry Mack.