PDA

View Full Version : 04's Attempt: OU vs. Ce-ce-ce-centenary Gents Recap

Sooner04
12/10/2009, 12:16 AM
As history is passed down from one generation to the next things tend to get embellished. What was once a port known for a fine fried flounder is exaggerated to the point where we now know it as the lost continent of Atlantis. A trading post where a man could get a fine gold chain is one-upped so much it becomes the Seven Cities of Cibola.

In sports, acts of athletic wizardry are bragged and bantered about until they become hopelessly over the top. They call it being in "The Zone". My cousin, Elroy from Bugtussle, once saw Brent Price hit 47 3-pointers in a row, blindfolded, while standing on one foot down at the Huffman! I swear to God! His uncle, Bruce from Slapout, once saw Joe Don Looney score four touchdowns in the third quarter of a game after sneaking off behind the concession stand with the head cheerleader at halftime! It's true!

It's epidemic. It's human nature. But make no mistake about this: for 11 minutes tonight The Crock Pot, Tony Crocker, was a walking-talking resident of "The Zone". If he threw it up, it was going in, and if it didn't he would get the rebound and THEN it would go in. Wayman went for 61 at the Myriad and Brent Price went for 56 against Loyola, and both records appeared to be in grave danger for a while. You look for something, ANYTHING, to make a game against Centenary matter on a frigid Wednesday night and Tony Crocker gave EVERYBODY something to remember. For 11 minutes he was Maravich. Whatever he touched turned to swish. 25 points, six rebounds and a steal. Absolutely incredible. Did he tucker out? Yes. Do I care? No. The Crock Pot was cookin'!

Were there warts on tonight's performance? Absolutely. This team can still look hideously lackadaisacal at times. Capel was so infuriated by the second half effort that he yanked the starters for a few minutes about halfway through. Being young is no excuse to be careless with the basketball. It's no excuse to try things even the Globetrotters are wary of putting in the playbook. Why not run the offense and play your butt off on defense? We only scored 22 points in the first 15 minutes of the second half but then the message got through and we dropped 17 more in the final five.

But, in other ways, it was a coach's dream game. You win comfortably, you're healthy at the end and there's PLENTY to absolutely ream your team over at tomorrow's practice. I imagine The Crock Pot will get a hearty congratulations for tonight's performance and then he'll join his teammates on the baseline while they all run 'til they puke. The price for sins as heinous as lazy play is a heavy one.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:
1st - 26 [the sun shines........people forget]
2nd - 21 [the spray flies...as the speedboat flies]
3rd - 16
4th - 23 [people forget........forget they're hiding]

[b]LEADING SCORERS:
33 - The Crock Pot <---- Career high......in the first half!
16 - Tiny Gallon
9 - Tommy Mason-Griffin
9 - Willie Warren

LEADING REBOUNDERS:
15 - Tiny Gallon <---- Eight of which were the offensive variety.
13 - Tony Crocker

PLUSES:
1. Tony Crocker: I gushed about the young man for quite a while, so I'll keep this brief. Last week I referenced the mathematical super-equation I came up with to gauge the performance of The Crock Pot. 25 was the number (points+rebounds+blocks+steals+assists-turnovers) me and my thermonuclearphysiomathematician colleagues came up with. If Tony comes up with more than 25 we're in fine shape! Tonight? Tony chimed in with 49. Much like the amp in Spinal Tap, The Crock Pot was turned up to 11 tonight.

2. Tiny Gallon: Short is the line for those who appreciate the garbage man. But I am one of them. I love the guys who clean up the scraps and throw in the bunnies off the glass. Tiny was tipping the ball all over the place tonight, scrounging for castaways like a sailor on shore leave. 16 points and 15 rebounds. Yet another double-double. And that coast-to-coast steal and score got Capel REALLY fired up.

3. Tommy Mason-Griffin: Seven assists against only two turnovers. I think the game is starting to slow down for him.

4. Centenery: I've got gobs of family from Shreveport (yes, I'm part coon-***), so it's always nice to see the smallest school in D-1 represent itself well. They played hard, and they had some boys who could shoot.

MINUSES:
1. Cade Davis: I'm a big fan of Cade. Not near as big a fan of Cade as my wife is, but a big fan nontheless. That said, he looked listless out there. A big fat Aggie goose egg tonight in points, steals and blocks. He'll be better in Salt Lake City.

2. Willie Warren: It was almost as if Willie was ticked Crocker was going off. It looked like he was trying to force things for a stretch. Once he slowed down a tad and set himself before going to the tin things came much easier. If I noticed how bad his body language looked then I know it had to be grating on Capel.

3. Air Jordans: Where were they? Both TMG and "Gamma" Ray sported the Retro All-White XII's against Arizona, but no Sooner trotted them out tonight? What gives?

4. The Weather: Where are we? Minot? Holy crap it's cold out there.

5. Reliance on Threes: We shot 15 threes in the first ten minutes if memory serves me correctly. Move the ball, drive the lane, get to the line. DO SOMETHING! If we turn into a bunch of Sir-Clangs-a-Lots we're going to be getting smoked on the road. Moreso than we already have!

Salt Lake City beckons! The land of tangerine trees and marmalade skies. Somebody calls you you answer quite slowly, a man with twenty-six wives.

I don't know what to make of Utah. They've already lost at home to Seattle, and I'm fairly certain Elgin Baylor's not suiting up for them anymore. But, as we speak, they just finished off a thumping of Michigan. What is it with Utah owning Michigan? Football and now basketball too. Who knows? What I do know is that if we get consistent "good" play we'll win. I also know if we give them the "bad" spurts from our recent homestand or any of our effort from Alaska then we'll probably get bashed in like Tiger's back window.

I don't know what's going to happen. That's why I'm not a betting man. But I can't wait to find out.

Thank you for your time.

bri
12/10/2009, 12:28 AM
3. Air Jordans: Where were they? Both TMG and "Gamma" Ray sported the Retro All-White XII's against Arizona, but no Sooner trotted them out tonight? What gives?

As soon as they came out for pre-pre-game shootaround and I saw no J's on the court (save for mine, natch), I KNEW this would be in the "minuses" section.

Other minuses tonight:

The revolt of technology. We lost the end zone scoreboards and shot clocks twice tonight, and for a while we had no audio for the pregame videos. Intros were gonna suck, at least until someone jiggled the right wire and saved the game.
MC D-Bag was extra annoying, as it seemed he was working off a different script than us, leaving us going "what the hell are we doing?!?" for the first 10-20 seconds of each time out.
And the pregame meal in the press room was lackluster. Worst lasagna ever.But hey, we won, everyone had a good time, and even the women managed to go an entire game without losing anyone else AND they got a road win. As folk hero Patrick Fletcher would say, "It's a GREAT day to be a Sooner!"

OUbasketball4life
12/10/2009, 12:30 AM
Well said 04, as for the 3 pointers that we continue to throw up (10 of 30 = 33%), I would love to see us work it inside and more penetration to set guys up for shots. Crock has been amazing, I'm hoping he ends his senior year the right way! Tiny is just "getting his feet wet" he has a lot of things that he can improve on which is scary. TMG is getting better with every game IMO. Good win Sooners. Also I would like to give a congrats to our womens team as well....scary but pulled it out-Nyeshia Stevenson had 32 I believe!!!

bri
12/10/2009, 12:33 AM
I think we're just gonna have to grin and bear it for a while with all the 3's. We're getting good results from the 4-guard lineup, and as long as Crocker keeps playing like a crazy man possessed, we'll stay in it. Ideally, we'll start using all the open space under the basket to consistently drive to the rim rather than settle for jumpers, but that is a matter for another time.

Sooner04
12/10/2009, 12:42 AM
Also I would like to give a congrats to our womens team as well....scary but pulled it out-Nyeshia Stevenson had 32 I believe!!!
Take it to the women's thread!

;)

Collier11
12/10/2009, 12:49 AM
Not sure if he is just one of those guys who always has that look but Willie does often appear to be sporting the bad body language

bri
12/10/2009, 12:51 AM

With all the talk about shoes, I thought this was the women's thread.

Collier, I agree about Willie. Check his body language on his headshot during the introductions; motherf*cker's rolling his eyes. His attitude is my biggest concern for this season.

OUstud
12/10/2009, 12:57 AM
Collier, I agree about Willie. Check his body language on his headshot during the introductions; motherf*cker's rolling his eyes. His attitude is my biggest concern for this season.

I'm glad someone else noticed that. Pisses me off every time.

Soonerus
12/10/2009, 01:01 AM
This season will have some great highs and some low, lows...

SoonerGrant
12/10/2009, 02:57 AM
Warren looked mad the whole game. He looks as if he doesn't want to be there. Whats going on with this guy? Is he wishing he left last year or something?

okienole3
12/10/2009, 08:21 AM
I agree with all that has been said about Willie. I texted a friend of mine at the end of the first half that Willie seemed pissed that the Crock was going off and not him.

Back to Willie, I think his true colors really came through against Zona. He and Cade were trapping at mid-court, Cade got his hand on the ball but Willie came up with the steal. Willie took it in for the and-1. First thing Willie did? Not celebrate with Cade, he went to pounding his chest.

I think we are lucky to have guys like Crock and Cade around. Hopefully those two are rubbing off on the young guys more than Willie.

okienole3
12/10/2009, 08:24 AM
Oh and the CrockPot was COOKING tonight. After my the first timeout, my buddy sitting next to me said "I'm gonna be the first to say it, Crocker is going to score 100 tonight." We laughed, then Crock kept scoring and it was even funnier.

badger
12/10/2009, 09:20 AM
Congrats to Tony Crocker. He was a lot of hit/miss during his first few seasons but he's really having a solid start his season year.

Yay, Tony!

Collier11
12/10/2009, 09:31 AM
See thats the thing though, there were rumors of this me first attitude in HS but I have also heard that he is a person who just has that look all the time, I know that sounds funny to say but ive honestly heard that

King Crimson
12/10/2009, 09:51 AM
bri, if you don't mind me asking, what is it exactly you are doing? working in some capacity at the games? back in school?

i've hiatus-ed from the board for a month or two and missed it, i guess. just curious.

OUSKINS
12/10/2009, 09:57 AM
I send out a post-game email to friends and family (many of them can't watch the games). Here is the email I sent after last night.....it's a less entertaining version of what 04 wrote :)

The Gentlemen of Centenary didn't know what hit them....I don't care who you play, when you play, or under what conditions you play, what Tony Crocker did last night was quite a feat. He had 25 points IN THE FIRST TWELVE MINUTES and finished the first half with 29 points and 10 boards. He is one of the more interesting players OU has ever had. Like I said, for an "average" player, he certainly has moments of pure brilliance. He cooled off in the second half, finishing the game with 33 and 13, but it was a career night for Tony and it made a an otherwise yawner of a game interesting to watch.

Behind Crocker's barrage, OU ran away early. TMG looks like he's settled down and Tiny had a nice game as well. You can tell the coaches are on him to be more agressive. Late in the game, he had a steal and he drove the entire floor, hit a layup, and got fouled. Capel came halfway on the court to chest-bump and kept saying something like "that's how you play" or something like that.

Ray Willis got some early minutes and wasted no time....he took a horrible, off-balance fade away shot and swished it. The guy has no fear....if he's in, he's launching. And Orlando Allen got some run and made the most of it as well.

OU went to sleep in the second half, which is kind of predictable given the youth and the situation last night. Capel was clearly upset with the effort and the team responded with 17 points in the last 5 minutes to end on a higher note. It gives Capel something to get on them about though, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Overall, nice night for the Sooners minus one GLARING problem in my eyes:

I'm no shrink or body-language expert, but I sure didn't like what I saw from Willie last night. It was almost as if he was pissed Crocker was going off-- Willie forced things a bit early and then kind of drifted the rest of the game. I hope I'm just being paranoid, but Willie's attitude could become a major issue for this team. We obviously can't win without him, but if he's pouting and causing a distraction then he's no use anyway. Again, I hope I'm wrong, I really do. But it bears watching.

Decent little turnaround following the Alaska mess. OU was much improved in all facets of the game--and we've started to play some D.

But for me, the real test will be Saturday at Utah. The Utes have struggled a bit this year, but they thumped Michigan last night and they gave us a good game at the LNC last year. They were a tourney team and they are always tough in their own gym. I think this is a game we need to officially move on from Alaska. If they get this win, we can chalk the early struggles to youth. If we lose, then we're dealing with the same unresolved issues. By losing to three mid-major teams already, we've put ourselves in a tough spot here-- needing a win on the road. I'm 50/50 on this game, not really sure what to expect. The game is at 3:00 on Saturday, televised on Versus.

And by the way....he may have had zero points, zero assists, and zero steals, but Cade's hair was perfect....I mean it was clearly the MVP.

Collier11
12/10/2009, 10:05 AM
I sent out an email lastnite as well, not nearly as good as you guys write ups but I gave it my best, here it is...

What they said ^

bri
12/10/2009, 10:11 AM
bri, if you don't mind me asking, what is it exactly you are doing? working in some capacity at the games? back in school?

I'm back in school to finish my BA, and I'm working for SoonerVision. I run the baseline camera on the north end.

OUmillenium
12/10/2009, 10:15 AM
I agree with all that has been said about Willie. I texted a friend of mine at the end of the first half that Willie seemed pissed that the Crock was going off and not him.

Back to Willie, I think his true colors really came through against Zona. He and Cade were trapping at mid-court, Cade got his hand on the ball but Willie came up with the steal. Willie took it in for the and-1. First thing Willie did? Not celebrate with Cade, he went to pounding his chest.

I think we are lucky to have guys like Crock and Cade around. Hopefully those two are rubbing off on the young guys more than Willie.

I noticed this as well. Willie is definitely not putting team first right now. Just hunting down his own shots and glory. Ugh

I still think he is hurt.

King Crimson
12/10/2009, 10:32 AM
I'm back in school to finish my BA, and I'm working for SoonerVision. I run the baseline camera on the north end.

right on.

NormanPride
12/10/2009, 11:08 AM
I noticed this as well. Willie is definitely not putting team first right now. Just hunting down his own shots and glory. Ugh

I still think he is hurt.

When was he hurt? And what?

Sooner98
12/10/2009, 01:53 PM
The revolt of technology. We lost the end zone scoreboards and shot clocks twice tonight, and for a while we had no audio for the pregame videos. Intros were gonna suck, at least until someone jiggled the right wire and saved the game.

What was with the occasional air horn blast going off last night? Is that how the scorer's table gets the attention of the refs to let them know something is wrong with the clock? At first I thought it was someone in the student section, up to a little tomfoolery.

the_ouskull
12/10/2009, 02:09 PM
Willie's starting to look more and more like the cocky, brash kid that we signed out of high school than the kid who got humbled upon his arrival by a once-in-a-lifetime talent in Blake. Willie KNEW last year that OU was Blake's team. Now, he feels like it's supposed to be HIS team.

He's wrong on BOTH counts. This is Coach's team, and Blake KNEW that. Willie isn't so sure.

Turnovers limit shot opportunities, Willie. So does combining 3.8 turnovers per game (tops on the team and it's not even close) with shooting 24.3% from behind the arc whilst still attempting 3.5 shots per game from downtown. It's not like this is rocket surgery.

Stop playing like you're the next Kobe, Willie, and just be a good player in a good system right now. You are KILLING your draft stock, and you're too stubborn or stupid to realize it.

the_ouskull

bri
12/10/2009, 02:09 PM
Yep, the scorers have an air horn at the table to alert the refs to clock malfunctions.

badger
12/10/2009, 02:11 PM
I have only seen him play once this year - against Arkansas - and I was yelling at him for missing free throws, not for hogging the ball or trying to show off or anything. The only showoff in that game was Rotnei, and wow did he fail :D

Based on what you're all saying, I hope WW can re-capture his pass-first mentality of last year, especially when his teammates are really hot scorers right about now. Being named a favorite from the Naismith in the preseason probably hasn't helped him.

Boomer.....
12/10/2009, 02:35 PM
Willie's starting to look more and more like the cocky, brash kid that we signed out of high school than the kid who got humbled upon his arrival by a once-in-a-lifetime talent in Blake. Willie KNEW last year that OU was Blake's team. Now, he feels like it's supposed to be HIS team.

He's wrong on BOTH counts. This is Coach's team, and Blake KNEW that. Willie isn't so sure.

Turnovers limit shot opportunities, Willie. So does combining 3.8 turnovers per game (tops on the team and it's not even close) with shooting 24.3% from behind the arc whilst still attempting 3.5 shots per game from downtown. It's not like this is rocket surgery.

Stop playing like you're the next Kobe, Willie, and just be a good player in a good system right now. You are KILLING your draft stock, and you're too stubborn or stupid to realize it.

the_ouskull

Right on.

badger
12/10/2009, 03:35 PM
So I just looked up Centenary out of curiosity... it's apparently short for "Centenary College of Louisiana" and its mascot is the "Gentlemen."

http://i.pbase.com/v3/58/372658/1/51831617.rofl.gif

;)

Oh yeah, I just updated. The overtime games are starting to kill me.

stoopified
12/10/2009, 05:06 PM
I think Willie is trying too hard.Hisstrength has ALWAYS been as a scorer first and as a plamaker off that scoring threat.His shot isn't falling and since his playmaking comes off his ability to score he is now just spinning his wheels.He is talented and Capel is THE MAN to get him turned around so I think it will all work out in the end.IMHO WW would be advised to quit worrying about his offense and concentrate on D and rebounds,which are effort phases of the game.Get the D going and work your offensive game off of it.

the_ouskull
12/10/2009, 06:03 PM
He's too worried about proving he can shoot and handle, so he's shooting his percentage into the dumps, and handling the ball right out of the lottery. Super.

the_ouskull

TopDawg
12/10/2009, 06:21 PM
Maybe that just means he'll have a stellar junior year here when all those other guys are sophs. That wouldn't be so bad, would it?

the_ouskull
12/10/2009, 08:31 PM
I'd like to see the "stellar" before I see the "junior" if you know what I mean...

the_ouskull

NormanPride
12/11/2009, 12:47 PM
Yeah, if he's turning into a carcinogen, then I'd rather not have him another year. No offense, Willie, but we have a bad history of selfish guards and I'm sick of it. Hopefully Wayman is haunting his dreams...

badger
12/11/2009, 12:59 PM
Maybe that just means he'll have a stellar junior year here when all those other guys are sophs. That wouldn't be so bad, would it?

He seemed more relaxed last year, like he knew it wasn't going to be his final college season.

Now... it's like he's in panic mode, trying to replicate everything Blake did to earn the No.1 over draft pick spot, Naismith, and deep tourney run.

WW needs to step back and realize that he has a place at OU for up to two more seasons after this one if he wants and needs it. There's no two-minute drill to get to the pros. The NBA will be there for him regardless of how long it takes him to get there.

RELAX!