PDA

View Full Version : University of Alabama cancels classes surrounding Title Game

outuba
12/9/2009, 06:44 PM
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/12/university_of_alabama_cancels.html

Cmon Bama! Act like you've been there before!

RedstickSooner
12/9/2009, 06:45 PM
Aww, heck - let 'em have some fun.

I think every university should cancel classes if their bowl game isn't during the winter break.

badger
12/9/2009, 06:48 PM
Remember the crap David Boring got for declaring a snow day after 63-14? :D

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2009, 06:52 PM
1. Classes are not canceled. The start of the Spring Semester has been delayed. All the classes will be made up at the end of the semester.
2. Kind of pissed this doesn't include the Law School. The start of our semester was supposed to be the 11th anyhow.

delhalew
12/9/2009, 07:14 PM
I recall all of my classes making it clear we were done by wed or thurs on the week of the RRR during my time at OU. Still don't know why...its not like it's a long trip.

King Crimson
12/9/2009, 07:20 PM
1. Classes are not canceled. The start of the Spring Semester has been delayed. All the classes will be made up at the end of the semester.
2. Kind of pissed this doesn't include the Law School. The start of our semester was supposed to be the 11th anyhow.

the law school and "regular" campus have different calendars?

King Crimson
12/9/2009, 07:20 PM
I recall all of my classes making it clear we were done by wed or thurs on the week of the RRR during my time at OU. Still don't know why...its not like it's a long trip.

you know why. rhymes with deer, is a liquid.

Sabanball
12/9/2009, 07:37 PM
This was basically done to allow travel time for fans/students that will be attending the game--and that's it. Keep in mind this a cross- country road trip for us. As you guys know very well from our RV invasion of Norman in 2002 , our fans travel pretty good and in LARGE numbers.

chantundefeated
12/9/2009, 07:38 PM
Actually, this year, it was up to the individual professors to cancel classes for OU/TX as it was not recognized as a university holiday. This is my fourth year at OU, and in past years, the Friday before was actually recognized as a holiday. I've wondered since I've been at OU why the school doesn't have a fall break, if anyone can help me out with that question I'd appreciate it.

As for Bama, moving class is a good idea because you want maximum participation from everyone currently associated with the university; especially in games of this caliber. It seems as though Bama's school calendar will be similar to OU's as OU starts on the 19th, which is a Tuesday because of MLK day, and classes end on the 7th of May, with finals occurring the next week.

Frozen Sooner
the law school and "regular" campus have different calendars?

Yep. We started earlier than the regular campus did, our classes were done the week of Thanksgiving, and our finals last through next week-theirs are done this week.

MeMyself&Me

I also remember my classes making it clear that if OU won RRS, there was no class on Monday during my time at OU.

I don't think being there before has anything to do with it. These kinds of things are big events for any school involved.

cvsooner
12/9/2009, 08:45 PM
It's a shame the NC game has to be played in that lousy Rose Bowl stadium. It's state of the art...for 1927.

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2009, 09:04 PM
It's a shame the NC game has to be played in that lousy Rose Bowl stadium. It's state of the art...for 1927.

It's nice for Alabama, though, since the third verse of Yea Alabama mentions the Rose Bowl.

soonerboomer93
12/9/2009, 10:02 PM
so does this mean I shouldn't expect pictures of hawt 'bama coeds sent to me from the MNC game by froze?

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2009, 10:58 PM
Heh. Liked that pic of Alyssa I sent you, eh?

soonermix
12/10/2009, 10:10 AM

because nobody would be there anyways

goingoneight
12/10/2009, 12:14 PM
'Bama has been there before... it's just been a really, really long time. :D

You know this somehow translates to more students making the trip. $$$ Like they really have any other reason. :D

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/10/2009, 01:25 PM
Really? Why are people upset with this? You would rather have classes so people have to drive rediculously long hours to get back for class and risk their lives. Apparently, Texas Tech gives extra days off around certain holidays to allow students to drive after there were several students killed in car crashes. Your college education is no good if you are dead and I am sure a lot of college students can't afford to fly. Let it be. They are making up the classes and safety is paramount here. I am glad Alabama is doing this. It is a very smart and good idea.

TAFBSooner
12/10/2009, 04:37 PM

This post is useless without a pic.

Sabanball
12/10/2009, 10:32 PM
'Bama has been there before... it's just been a really, really long time. :D

You know this somehow translates to more students making the trip. $$$ Like they really have any other reason. :D

Yep...it's been 17 yrs. But, according to you guys, we already have 10,000 NC's--so who cares?;)

SPuL
12/10/2009, 11:01 PM
This post is useless without a pic.

hahaha beat me to it!:D

soonerboomer93
12/11/2009, 10:13 AM

well, she cetainly was bendy in it

delhalew
12/11/2009, 12:26 PM
because nobody would be there anyways

All excellent points. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
12/11/2009, 02:06 PM

Time was ORIGINALLY classes were cancelled the Monday AFTER the saxet game AFTER a Victory. If No victory, then no off classes. Things have been stretched since then...